PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Barbosa

McKeyFan
03-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Two questions:

1. What do you realistically expect Barbosa to add to/help our team with?

2. How long do you think it will take for him to find his stride with us?

Nuntius
03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I expect him to help with bench scoring and help us run some actual fast breaks. It would be nice if he was to play decent defense as well.

I expect him to find his stride within the first 3 games. He is a professional so I doubt that he is gonna have problems fitting in. Sure, he will not be in his A+ game until early to mid April but I hope that he'll be able to bring consistently his B or B+ game.

vnzla81
03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
20 and 9 for sure :D

GP33
03-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Around 10 ppg

Hicks
03-18-2012, 09:09 PM
More made jumpers than AJ, better driving/finishing than AJ, but he's not a floor general like AJ. Prone to an occasional offensive eruption. Good finisher. If not driving, best coming off screens and spotting up.

I think I read he has really long arms.

TheDavisBrothers
03-18-2012, 09:16 PM
I think he'll be a very good spark plug off the bench, someone who will zap some life into our offense when we get cold and stall. He can be a 1 man fast break and can create for himself in the half court. His range will be a very good asset, as teams won't be able to double in the post, because they have to respect his deadly 3 ball. He won't bring much to the table aside from scoring, but his scoring is needed on this team.

HC
03-18-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't know if I necessarily expect it, but I'm hoping he will be that guy consistently knocking down shots when the team goes cold.

NapTonius Monk
03-18-2012, 09:37 PM
http://images.wikia.com/loneranger/images/c/c4/DELoneRanger5.jpg

BlueNGold
03-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Two questions:

I think he helps the second unit from becoming stagnant offensively because he's always moving and trying to get open. He will also, dare I say, stretch the floor a bit with the second unit and that might help Tyler and Lou. You have Hill and Barbosa on the second unit and you have some real scoring threats there...where AJ Price tends to go cold, you won't see that with Barbosa so much.

I think he'll blend in rapidly, pretty much fully in a couple weeks. He's a scorer and his game doesn't have to change. His main limitation will be the other players. Barbosa has proven he can shoot well. Other than George Hill, there will not be a better backup.

MillerTime
03-18-2012, 09:55 PM
provide the scoring boost that we need. I hope we see him, Hill and Granger finish the games. That would be a great trio

Kemo
03-18-2012, 10:03 PM
I expect, once the shiny newness wears off, he will be the next in line in the P.D. scapegoat rotation ...

lol
Sad, but probably true, the minute he has a string of bad games, where we lose .... the wolves will come out... lol

Steagles
03-18-2012, 10:07 PM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n260/natewitty/JesusBasketball.jpg

Kemo
03-18-2012, 10:17 PM
nah but seriously .. I expect Barbosa to be the cog that adds horsepower to the stalling engine that we are currently experiencing...

I see him, almost like Dunleavy (the good aspects)... in that he will run and make hard cuts around the court to free him and others up spreading the floor.. opening up good shots for himself and others... I believe his BBIQ will help out immensely, making others around him better....

On THIS Pacers team, I could see him make a good case for himself playing like a 6th man of the year candidate....

Pacerized
03-18-2012, 10:21 PM
I'd love to get 10 ppg but I can't see where his minutes will come from if everyone is healthy. My best bet would be Jones but Jones primarily has played backup 3 minutes and I can't see us playing Hill or Barbosa at the 3. I assume that Hill will take all the backup pg minutes but AJ really hasn't played much when Hill has been heatlhy. My guess is that AJ is out of the rotation and Hill will lose a few minutes to get Barbosa 12-15 minutes per game in which case he'll get us around 7-8 ppg.

vnzla81
03-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Another thing that people don't know about Barbosa is that he is pretty good at running the point, he has good court vision and can pass the ball, I expect him to be the one initiating the offense on the second unit, his ability to pass the ball is going to help the second unit offense for sure.

PacerPenguins
03-18-2012, 10:34 PM
nah but seriously .. I expect Barbosa to be the cog that adds horsepower to the stalling engine that we are currently experiencing...

I see him, almost like Dunleavy (the good aspects)... in that he will run and make hard cuts around the court to free him and others up spreading the floor.. opening up good shots for himself and others... I believe his BBIQ will help out immensely, making others around him better....

On THIS Pacers team, I could see him make a good case for himself playing like a 6th man of the year candidate....

i think barbosa will do good.... funny u mention dunleavy.... i think he would have been an amazing bench player this year.... he moves amazing without the ball and would have been very helpful

TheDavisBrothers
03-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I'd love to get 10 ppg but I can't see where his minutes will come from if everyone is healthy. My best bet would be Jones but Jones primarily has played backup 3 minutes and I can't see us playing Hill or Barbosa at the 3. I assume that Hill will take all the backup pg minutes but AJ really hasn't played much when Hill has been heatlhy. My guess is that AJ is out of the rotation and Hill will lose a few minutes to get Barbosa 12-15 minutes per game in which case he'll get us around 7-8 ppg.

IMO Paul will play more minutes as the back up SF which will free up more minutes at SG

Lance George
03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Ben Gordon with a much better contract.

jeffg-body
03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
With him and GH coming in to the second unit I see his speed and shot making being a big change because other teams will have to focus on two speedy guys with Hill that can both shoot and penetrate. I haven't seen much of him at the 1 spot but I would imagine he could initiate the offense bringing the ball up the court. I am excited to see what he can do. My hope is that he plays well enough to consider him long-term, along with GH if possible.

Pacerized
03-18-2012, 10:49 PM
IMO Paul will play more minutes as the back up SF which will free up more minutes at SG

That would be a better move.

MaHa3000
03-18-2012, 10:54 PM
This team is stacked with all combo guards and no true point guard. (Obviously I'm not impressed with DC anymore.)

LA_Confidential
03-19-2012, 12:58 AM
I expect him to have an extremely positive impact on our team. This guy is a solid veteran scored who has tons of deep post season experience. He's also a former 6th man of the year. Dudes got skills and not a single stitch of ego/entitlement. He's a worker. Just like D. West.

Legend continues to add solid pieces to this young group that can stick around for the long run and I have no doubt that they will. Hill, West and Barbosa all have been on teams who have advanced to a confrence final before so I'm really confident in what they will bring to our team in this years playoffs.

TinManJoshua
03-19-2012, 01:55 AM
I expect him to run up the score in blowouts, causing scuffles with opposing teams in which their SF wants to take his head off.

But seriously, I expect him to be an offensive spark off the bench and a positive influence in the locker room. Pretty standard stuff.

rel
03-19-2012, 03:18 AM
be a blackhole!
http://i53.tinypic.com/2iuxez7.jpg

jk. I'm hoping his ability to penetrate will free up Hill and Tyler for some easy kick outs and open jumpers

McKeyFan
03-19-2012, 06:42 AM
I've got some high hopes.

I'm hoping his offensive spark abilities are just what the doctor ordered for us. I'm hoping that he ends up finishing a lot of games and provides just enough loosening up of the opposing defenses to provide good looks for our other scorers.

Our offense has just seemed stuck, clogged, unable to break loose for a long, long time.

McKeyFan
03-19-2012, 06:43 AM
I'm intrigued by the possibility of Barbosa at the point guard.

I'm intrigued by the idea of finishing games with Barbosa/Hill.

Roaming Gnome
03-19-2012, 07:05 AM

http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/miscellaneous/gumout-regane-fuel-system-cleaner/28005744+cr1+re0+ar1/gumout-regane-fuel-system-cleaner.jpg

Major Cold
03-19-2012, 09:51 AM
I expect him to be a offensive weapon that sees the court no more than 20 mpg. For the rest of the year I think he will score 8 ppg on great efficiency (comparable to AJ).

I do not think his presence will instantly make every one off of the bench better. But I think that Lou and Hill will benefit most, and Jones will benefit lease. Tyler will struggle.

Mixed with the starters I think he benefits Roy the most. I don't have a reason, but somebody has to.

He could be a release valve. Taking the oppositions opposing defensive pressure and allowing others to play better by spreading the floor. But not being thrusted into the rotation mid-season.

BillS
03-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I'll be happy if he can come on the floor and hit his first shots, causing the defense to adjust and freeing up our other players to try to get into a scoring rhythm.

If that's all he does, he'll become vitally important to this team.

BoomBaby33
03-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Two questions:

Scoring and defense. Also, sounds like he has already taken a leadership role in the locker room from what the Georges said last night with Eric Yutsy of channel 13 on the jam. He is already giving advice to PG.

I really like this trade and I think it makes a difference in our team. The question is how will Vogel be able to handle having another weapon at his disposal. Its gonna be interesting to see how the rotation develops over the next couple of weeks. I dont think Vogel will change the point guard rotation, although i wouldnt mind it as long as DC assumes that role without any questions. I still wish we could get another big or get Jeff Pendergraph playing more now so he is more used to playing in normal rotations versus garbage time. I really think JP will have to step up as we move toward the playoffs. Im not sure we can trust having Foster ready at any time.

daschysta
03-19-2012, 10:25 AM
If he can be a sparkplug off the bench, get hot sometimes and score in bunches when that happens he'll be invaluable.

If Vogel takes this opportunity to reduce Dahntay's minutes to play George as the primary backup small forward giving us a rotation of;

Collison (26)/ Hill (22) or Hill (22) /Collison (26)
Paul George (20) / Barbs(20) / Hill (8)
Granger (32)/ PG (10)/ Dahntay (6)

In the backcourt he'll be invaluable (though AJ has been playing well and it hurts to demote him there are too many superior players in front of him).

He's averaging over 12 ppg in around 22 minutes, many raptors fans think he's been their best player all year. He can flat out score, and that sometimes is a huge problem for the team. His penetration and speed will force rotations and allow our bigs a better chance to rebound offensively, he can shoot the 3.

He's still one of the better bench players in the NBA, and he should be more motivated here than he was in Toronto since he'll have a chance to contribute to a playoff team.

To get a guy of his calibre of a mere 2nd round pick is a huge coup, and should improve our team greatly, because i'm sick of seeing our bench consistently get beat into the dust after the starters compete evenly or win their matchup many nights if George Hill isn't aggressive and Tyler is cold.

diamonddave00
03-19-2012, 11:45 AM
I would truly hope Barbosa is more efficent than A J Price . Price since getting regular playing time 23 games ago has hit 31% of his field goal attempts (37 of 118) and 31% of his 3's (19 of 60) while averaging 5 ppg. That goes back to Feb 1st.

I expect Barbosa to shoot at a better % on both and average between 8-12 ppg off the bench.

My biggest concern is that Barbosa will take minutes away from Paul George as Vogel goes small with a Barbosa / Hill back court and sits Paul. If Paul gets the majority of the back up SF minutes I think the team will be better with a Hill/Barbosa/ George lineup when Granger sits.

Hopefully Barbosa's arrival will jump start the bench to more consistant overall performances.

Ace E.Anderson
03-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Two questions:

My realistic expectations from Barbosa individually is about 10-12 ppg, while giving the second unit a real and consistent scoring option.

2. I think Barbosa's type of game is easy to adjust to. In the halfcourt, he's going to come off screens, looking for three pointers. And he's also going to play at a faster pace, which is the strong suit of every player within our second unit. I give it 4-5 games before he's 80-90% within his stride.

More than anything, I'm interested to see if the arrival of Barbosa will push Vogel to adding Hill to the starting lineup. In all honesty, it doesnt matter how strong your bench is if your starters are continuing to get off to such lousy, uninspiring starts

PGisthefuture
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I would truly hope Barbosa is more efficent than A J Price . Price since getting regular playing time 23 games ago has hit 31% of his field goal attempts (37 of 118) and 31% of his 3's (19 of 60) while averaging 5 ppg. That goes back to Feb 1st.

I expect Barbosa to shoot at a better % on both and average between 8-12 ppg off the bench.

My biggest concern is that Barbosa will take minutes away from Paul George as Vogel goes small with a Barbosa / Hill back court and sits Paul. If Paul gets the majority of the back up SF minutes I think the team will be better with a Hill/Barbosa/ George lineup when Granger sits.

Hopefully Barbosa's arrival will jump start the bench to more consistant overall performances.

I would hope George gets more playing time at the backup SF. Hill, Barbosa, George, Hansbrough, and Amundson would be a nice lineup.

CJ Jones
03-19-2012, 07:04 PM
I think having Barbosa running around screens, and being the threat offensively that he is will open up the floor for the rest of our second unit. When Hill got the opportunity to run the team at the beginning of the year, we had no one playing with him that struck any kind of fear into the defense. Teams just packed the paint on us. People have used the Dunleavy comparison, and I think it's a good one. Having a player in constant motion while being a threat to knock down shots can only help the spacing on the court, which should in turn help the rest of the players find more room to make plays, especially Hill IMO.

xIndyFan
03-19-2012, 07:42 PM
I would hope George gets more playing time at the backup SF. Hill, Barbosa, George, Hansbrough, and Amundson would be a nice lineup.

i'm hoping you are correct. early in the season, paul was having trouble defending the 3. but i did notice a couple of possessions guarding melo. thought paul did a nice job defensively vs melo. maybe that means he's figured it out. or just gotten bigger. or both.

03-19-2012, 08:36 PM
30 PPG per 20 MIN
10 AST per 20 MIN
5 REB per 20 MIN
5 STL per 20 MIN

---- Realistically ----

10 PPG per 15 - 20 MIN
1.5 AST per 15 - 20 MIN
2 REB per 15 - 20 MIN
1 STL per 15 - 20 MIN

03-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Seriously, #28? What a strange number for a basketball player.

Hoop
03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
http://onproductmanagement.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/expectations1.jpg?513254

D-BONE
03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Don't know what to think. Probably some good offensive punch off the bench - 10 to 12 points? But feeling like our plodding, slogging first team is who could most benefit for an injection. Move DC and his speed in with Barbosa and the rest of the 2nd unit and I think you've got a nice up-temo group there though. I'll look forward to Hill and Barbosa for the time being though.

MagicRat
03-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Our offense has just seemed stuck, clogged, unable to break loose for a long, long time.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Emagic_rat/leandroplumber.jpg

BornReady
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Seriously, #28? What a strange number for a basketball player.

that makes me really happy because 28 is actually my favorite number :D

rock747
03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E8D9ksRJ5PY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hicks
03-20-2012, 12:22 AM
:laugh: WTF was that?!

McKeyFan
03-21-2012, 07:11 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E8D9ksRJ5PY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can only do this kind of stuff when you are a secure person. Because you've got the goods on the court.

BlueNGold
03-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Psycho-B.

Unclebuck
03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
He exceeded my expecations in game #1. Mainly what I want from him is energy.

One thing he is good at is running the pick and roll as the ballhandler - he is really good.

BPump33
03-21-2012, 12:36 PM
How about the fact that he damn near caught up to that HORRIAWFUL pass that Lou threw on the "fast break." So damn fast.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 11:52 PM
How about the fact that he damn near caught up to that HORRIAWFUL pass that Lou through on the "fast break." So damn fast.

Good point.

That said, I love it when Lou gets excited and gives us such gems :laugh:

spazzxb
03-22-2012, 05:52 AM
For the rest of the year I think he will score 8 ppg on great efficiency (comparable to AJ).
lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 06:24 AM
My expectations are more than what I saw from him last night against the Wiz.

Hicks
03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Ya don't say.

J7F
03-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Decent POV - that way you will be excited when he performs above your expectations on a regular basis...

Lance George
03-23-2012, 11:31 AM

His performance against the Clippers was much closer to his career norm than last night's game.

http://s15.postimage.org/fmnb5p1l5/untitled.png

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
His performance against the Clippers was much closer to his career norm than last night's game.

http://s15.postimage.org/fmnb5p1l5/untitled.png

Yep, that's true. I expect a bad game here and there but he'll be good for us more often than not.

Justin Tyme
03-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Yep, that's true. I expect a bad game here and there but he'll be good for us more often than not.

I have no problem with the acquistion of Barbosa. As a matter of fact, I much prefer him over Chucker Crawford or Mayo. I was elated/estatic over his play in the Clipper game, but disappointed in last nights game. Bird wanted a scorer and when Barbosa didn't score in a game when it was "really needed" I was lets say a little disappointed. I know you can't have it all every night. When one gets a glimpse of the goods the night b4, only to see it not there the next night when it is was really needed disappointment surfaces.

Just for the record, I wasn't overly thrilled with Hill's game last night either. Both had nice games against the Clippers.

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I have no problem with the acquistion of Barbosa. As a matter of fact, I much prefer him over Chucker Crawford or Mayo. I was elated/estatic over his play in the Clipper game, but disappointed in last nights game. Bird wanted a scorer and when Barbosa didn't score in a game when it was "really needed" I was lets say a little disappointed. I know you can't have it all every night. When one gets a glimpse of the goods the night b4, only to see it not there the next night when it is was really needed disappointment surfaces.

Just for the record, I wasn't overly thrilled with Hill's game last night either. Both had nice games against the Clippers.

Yeah, I agree with that you said. It was just an unlucky coincidence of both of them having a bad night at the same time. At least, that's what I hope :p

daschysta
03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Though he was off, you could still see the value. His penetration collapsed the defense and more than once led to an easy putback by the bigs he was on the floor with.