PDA

View Full Version : Boris Diaw anybody?

vnzla81
03-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Ok so it looks like the Bobcats are going to buy Boris Diaw out, at this moment we need a big in the second unit that could pass the ball, get some rebounds and score a bit, I think we need a guy like Diaw, a guy that can facilitate the offense in the second unit and who knows? Maybe he can play in West place when West feels like not showing up to play like yesterday.

what do you guys think?

BRushWithDeath
03-18-2012, 01:31 PM
No.

Kstat
03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't see any reason why not. He brings a passing dimension Indiana lacks.

BRushWithDeath
03-18-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't see any reason why not. He brings a passing dimension Indiana lacks.

He's 350 pounds.

vnzla81
03-18-2012, 01:35 PM
He's 350 pounds.

More like 270/280, he was 240 in Phoenix.

vnzla81
03-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Here are his numbers for those that want to know:

7.4 ppg. 5.3apg and 4.3rpg, he averages as many APG as our starting point guard.

rexnom
03-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Perfect. Would he sign with us? Any way to know his preferences?

vnzla81
03-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Here is a good article about Diaw:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/03/13/tp-would-like-to-see-boris-diaw-possibly-join-the-spurs/

Spurs guard Tony Parker wants his French national teammate Boris Diaw to join the Spurs if Diaw accepts a buyout from his current team, the Charlotte Bobcats. (Photo by GUILLAUME BONNAUD/AFP/Getty Images)
There’s been a lot of speculation about Boris Diaw being cut by Charlotte in a roster move around the trade*deadline.

If the Bobcats decide to purge themselves of the versatile French forward, Tony Parker would love to see him join the Spurs.

Parker said on his weekly French radio show (Hat tip: Project Spurs.com) that he would like to see Diaw choose the Spurs if he is let go by the Bobcats.

Diaw has been blasted for soaring high above listed playing weight of 215 pounds during a four-season stint with the Bobcats. I know, it must have been the ready availability of Bojangles Fried Chicken in the Charlotte area that led to Diaw’s soaring weight as a Bobcat in a completely new kind of “Bo time.”

But Parker vowed on his show to do what he could to keep Diaw in shape if he was to join the Spurs. Parker also mentioned New York as another possible location if Diaw is bought out at the trade deadline.

‘He’s in shape,” Parker said. “I’m the first to make fun of him when he gains too much weight but right now it’s not the case. We’re very interested to get him but New York is interested too. We’ll see.’”

Obviously, Diaw would be a welcome addition to the Spurs because of his versatility. He could play any of five positions for them — everything from power forward and center (like he did in Phoenix) to maybe even filling some of T.J. Ford’s minutes as a backup point guard in an extreme pinch.

Diaw’s agent, Doug Neustadt, has inquired to the Charlotte’s management about asking for a buyout, according to the Charlotte Observer.

Under a buyout, Diaw would have to agree to reduce his remaining guarantee with the Bobcats by an agreed number, and in return for the Bobcats would waive him in time to sign elsewhere and be playoff-eligible on a new roster. Diaw would have to be waived by March 23 for that to happen.

Diaw is the Bobcats’ second-highest paid player at $9 million, and his contract expires after this season. He hasn’t had much impact this season and briefly lost his starting spot at power forward for the Bobcats, who might be interested in playing younger players like Tyrus Thomas and D.J. White as they finish what to this point has been an extremely disappointing 6-34 record.

Diaw, a*6-foot-8 forward is in his ninth season in the NBA. He will turn 30 next month, but could help the Spurs in a variety of positions. He is averaging 7.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game.

Whether he would accept significantly less money to be a part of a Spurs team likely headed for the playoffs remains debatable.

But having Parker here with the Spurs to help in their sales pitch to his close friend assuredly won’t hurt their chances.

BKK
03-18-2012, 01:56 PM
I think he'll end up in SA

BlueNGold
03-18-2012, 01:58 PM
I've always like Diaw. I say yes.

Jrod Jones
03-18-2012, 02:04 PM
I think Diaw could be a great addition. He is a great passer, and would add some much needed depth to the front court

BringJackBack
03-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Although I wouldn't be against getting Diaw, I would prefer Ronny Turiaf who is also a free agent.

Pingu
03-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm afraid if we got Diaw some would want to start him over Darren at point guard.

odeez
03-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Sure , why not, a second unit guy that can pass and score a bit. It would most likely be just for the remainder of the season. Though he isn't the defender or rebounder we need for the front court. That seems like a more important need now.

Shade
03-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes.

granger4mvp
03-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Turiaf is the guy they need to sign guys a brute and hard worker

Peck
03-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Ok, who's min. does he take?

BringJackBack
03-18-2012, 02:37 PM

Hansbroughs.

If we get Turiaf, he can rebound and play D, so we could give him the role that Chris Kaman would have, and give the remaining minutes to Lou.

Slick Pinkham
03-18-2012, 02:41 PM
I guess he might stay healthy, since you can't strain or pull fat,

still, I'll pass

vnzla81
03-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Although I wouldn't be against getting Diaw, I would prefer Ronny Turiaf who is also a free agent.

I don't understand why people want Turiaf, he can't pass the ball or score, he is like a broken down version of Lou, OK so let's say we get him and we play Lou and Turiaf together, who is going to score or how? Should we just tell the second unit guys to throw it close to the rim so Turiaf and Lou can go get the rebound or score?

Please explain how is he going to be better than having Lou/Tyler?

vnzla81
03-18-2012, 03:05 PM

Lou's and Tyler's minutes I would think, maybe some of West minutes, Tyler/Diaw wouldn't be a bad duo either, Diaw complements Tyler for sure.

Nuntius
03-18-2012, 03:13 PM
If we play him at SF, yes. If we play him at C, no. If we play at PF, depends.

If he is cheap, I'd have no problem if we went after him. It's not like we can see something a lot better off of waivers.

Pingu
03-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Anecdote: I believe Diaw has started games at every position in his NBA career, from PG to C.

Nuntius
03-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Anecdote: I believe Diaw has started games at every position in his NBA career, from PG to C.

I'm not sure if he has played SG.

He has certainly played PG, SF, PF and C.

Pingu
03-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Not even for the Hawks back in the days? I remember he played SF a bunch for them, but can't find out for sure whether he ever started at SG.

Nuntius
03-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Not even for the Hawks back in the days? I remember he played SF a bunch for them, but can't find out for sure whether he ever started at SG.

As I said I'm not sure. He certainly played SF a bunch for them as that's his natural position.

Chances are that he could have started at SG even for one game. I have no way of knowing though :)

McKeyFan
03-18-2012, 03:44 PM

Very interesting. How many players can claim that? Less than a handful, I would wager.

(I thought you were totally joking about the point guard thing, but I guess there was a grain of truth to it.)

CableKC
03-18-2012, 03:45 PM
I don't understand why people want Turiaf, he can't pass the ball or score, he is like a broken down version of Lou, OK so let's say we get him and we play Lou and Turiaf together, who is going to score or how? Should we just tell the second unit guys to throw it close to the rim so Turiaf and Lou can go get the rebound or score?

Please explain how is he going to be better than having Lou/Tyler?
Because he's like a Wendy's triple cheeseburger...he's bigger and beefier ;). I agree that he's a solid passing big man that is versatile....but he isn't built the way that Turiaf is. I guess that when it comes to adding depth to the frontcourt....what are you looking for....another solid and decent scoring and passing Frontcourt player? Or are you looking for a big man that can defend the low post that can rebound and block shots?

I know that its a matter of preference....but I prefer what Turiaf offers over Diaw. This is not to say that Diaw won't help...I'm just saying that I think that Turiaf can help with the whole Smashmouth identity that we are pretending to portray.

03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Sure. Why not? At the end of the day, if Simon is willing to spend the money on a player like Diaw - why not? Worse case scenario: Diaw rides the pine pony until his contract expires at the end of the season.

Let's say Diaw loses a few pounds in his new role with the Pacers. He might actually be a productive player again. Remember, Diaw was a quality player nearly five years ago. Unfortunately, he has been on one loser after the next.

Hicks
03-18-2012, 03:59 PM
I'd be fine with it.

PGisthefuture
03-18-2012, 03:59 PM
After seeing his numbers I would take Diaw over Turiaf. Turiaf is always injured and does the same things Lou does. Diaw could do wonders for our second unit.

vnzla81
03-18-2012, 04:08 PM
4.2 ppg and 3rpg for Turiaf last year? 1.5ppg and 3rpg for this one? Meh.

sam kaiserblade
03-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Diaw reminds me of John "'Hot Plate" Williams. He was a great passer but just couldnt get weight under control. That signing didnt work out real well for the Pacers back in the mid 90s.

AesopRockOn
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
If Bird/Vogel aren't willing to demote DC, they sure as hell aren't willing to demote Tyler.

Nuntius
03-18-2012, 05:08 PM
(I thought you were totally joking about the point guard thing, but I guess there was a grain of truth to it.)

Actually, there's more than a grain of truth to it. He was indeed starting as a PG in Phoenix when Nash was injured in the 05-06 season.

Lance George
03-18-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm afraid if we got Diaw some would want to start him over Darren at point guard.

The scary thing is, he actually has a higher assist rate than anyone on our team this season.

<iframe src="http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/share.cgi?id=hlGFG&output=iframe" width=185 height=226 scrolling=auto></iframe>

BKK
03-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Diaw could have been so special had he not eaten all those icecreams after signing his "fat" extension...

mikeyism
03-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Here is Diaw's scouting report from ESPN. Notice the 'eating' puns :D

+ Ballhandling combo forward held back by increasingly poor conditioning.

+ Sees floor well but often eschews easy shots to make pass. Midrange shooter.

+ Good defensive player. Strong and moves feet well. Subpar rebounder.

Whoever wrote that French people don't get fat clearly never went to a Bobcats game. Although Diaw's conditioning has had surprisingly little effect on his game, he's clearly been living large of late. It hasn't affected his hunger for passing, however, as he led all power forwards in Pure Point Rating and assist ratio.

Diaw eats up small defenders on the left block, where he has a nice right-handed jump hook shot, but the hard part is persuading him to shoot. He averaged just 13.3 points per 40 minutes, even though he's become a decent mid-range shooter that hit 44.6 percent of his long 2s last season and shot 34.5 percent on 3s. He chews up most big men off the dribble, too, with his superior ballhandling skills, but in spite of all that he finished below the league average for power forwards in usage rate.

His rebounding famine is another problem. While Diaw has advantages in most respects at the power forward spot, he rebounds like a wing. His conditioning is part of the issue, plus he's not a leaper and he's a bit undersized. He was second-to-last among power forwards in rebound rate at a pathetic 9.0.

Defensively, Diaw once digested opposing power forwards with ease but increasingly burps up scoring chances. He makes up for being a bit short by having superior strength, which helps his post defense, but his conditioning has slowed him a bit in help defense and he provides nothing on the boards. His defensive numbers had been very strong earlier in this career, but last season they were quite ordinary across the board.

All told, it's tough to swallow the idea that Diaw can remain a starter for long. His PER remains below the league average and he's not providing enough defense to compensate. Relegating him to sixth man while promoting Tyrus Thomas is an idea the Bobcats should chew on.

vnzla81
03-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Good thing that we don't need him to start.

jeffg-body
03-19-2012, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't mind us getting Diaw. If you could get the guy motivated conditioning wise maybe discussing with him an invite to camp next year if he could improve his conditioning during the offseason. He would be better right now than Foster with his back condition that has lingered on and on. I like Foster but I think it is time for him to put the sneakers up and retire to a FO job with the Pacers.

Nuntius
03-19-2012, 11:35 PM
He was second-to-last among power forwards in rebound rate at a pathetic 9.0.

I'd like to know who was last.

TheDavisBrothers
03-20-2012, 12:33 AM
I'd like to know who was last.

I was thinking Bargnani, but the numbers were for last year, and even tho he did in fact have a lower %, he played C last year.

The actual answer is...
JEFF GREEN!

Lance George
03-21-2012, 09:12 AM
It looks like it's all but official...

Inside the NBA: Boris Diaw, Charlotte Bobcats agree to buyout (http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2012/03/boris-diaw-charlotte-bobcats-agree-to-buyout.html)

Power forward Boris Diaw and the Charlotte Bobcats have agreed on a buyout of his remaining contract that should be completed in time for Diaw to be eligible for another team’s playoff roster.

Bobcats vice president of basketball operations Rod Higgins confirmed that early Wednesday morning to the Observer. The buyout, which should be completed sometime today, would make Diaw a free agent in time to sign with a contender. Meanwhile the Bobcats open one of 15 roster spots and save some of what’s left of Diaw’s $9 million salary.

It’s not known just how much money Diaw agreed to give up for his freedom.

Diaw played only twice in his last eight games with the Bobcats and has had a strained relationship with coach Paul Silas, who was quite critical of his effort.

Silas described his frustration with Diaw on March 7 before a home loss to the Utah Jazz.

“I like a player who is really committed to not only the team but to himself and then doing the best he can as a player,’’ Silas said. “Some of the things that would go on, like not shooting the ball, passing all of the time’’ were unacceptable.

“I needed hoops and he could put the ball in the hoop. When that wouldn’t happen it was very disturbing. I think if he had played all out, the way he should have, it would have been a much, much better club.”

Diaw came to the Bobcats in a December, 2008, trade with the Phoenix Suns, along with Raja Bell and Sean Singletary, in exchange for Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley. Diaw instantly became the facilitator then-coach Larry Brown wanted to make the offense run more smoothly.

He played in and started his first 258 games as a Bobcat (both franchise records) before Silas benched him on March 6, a win over the Orlando Magic. Diaw didn’t play at all against the Magic and was inactive the next three games. He played briefly – 13 minutes or less -- in road losses to the New Orleans Hornets and Houston Rockets.

The coaching change from Brown to Silas definitely diminished Diaw’s status with the team. Brown overlooked Diaw’s inconsistent effort and unreliable conditioning because he had such a wide skill set. Silas saw Diaw as an underachiever.

By agreeing to a buyout now, Diaw can be waived in time to potentially sign with a contender and be eligible for a playoff roster. San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker, Diaw’s close friend and French national-team teammate, recently said on a French radio program that Diaw would be welcome with the Spurs.

“He’s in shape,’’ Parker reportedly said. “I’m the first to make fun of him when he gains too much weight, but right now it’s not the case. We’re very interested to get him.’’

Diaw also might have had an opportunity with the New York Knicks, but that was likely scuttled when Mike D’Antoni, who coached Diaw in Phoenix, lost his job in New York.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
I hope we go after him.

smartfai
03-21-2012, 09:38 AM
sign Diaw!!
then sign Nash this summer
We will have Nash + Barbosa + Lou + Diaw (ex-Suns players)

naptownmenace
03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
He's a career underachiever, IMO. Unless you pair him with a good PG that makes everyone else better, like Steve Nash, he'll probably fail. I'd rather give the minutes to Lou.

Sandman21
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
I'd love to have Diaw here.....

If I was running a hamburger joint. :D

Otherwise, no to Cheeseburger Boris!

spreedom
03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/newly-bought-boris-diaw-available-disappoint-favorite-team-140231073.html;_ylt=An9jSJ2tg2g4QwrXIH41X1PZPKB4

The newly bought-out Boris Diaw is available to disappoint your favorite team

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/zwHbsHJGSMhFRIpTo1lb7A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/Diaw32112.jpg
The Charlotte Bobcats and Boris Diaw have reached a buyout agreement, making the versatile forward a free agent. This is good news for those who embrace versatility's literal meaning, because Boris can come to you in several shapes and sizes, with different levels of motivation, declining to make an impact or completely taking over the game in a positive way. He can be brilliant, and he can be terrible. He can help your team, or absolutely waste its time. He could be in shape, or maddeningly portly. He's versatile.

Charlotte Observer reporter Rick Bonnell first reported the news on Tuesday morning, but this has been in the offing for two weeks, especially after Bonnell quoted Bobcats coach Paul Silas' infamous description of Diaw after his removal from Charlotte's active (a loose definition, to be sure) roster on March 7th:

"I like a player who is really committed to not only the team but to himself and then doing the best he can as a player,'' Silas said. "Some of the things that would go on, like not shooting the ball, passing all of the time."

The popular perception by those who are really looking forward to college basketball on Thursday night is that the NBA is a league full of players who are shooting "all the time," and not passing the ball; so Diaw's unique take on the pro game would seem to be a breath of fresh air. The problem with this is that, since being drafted by the Atlanta Hawks in 2003, Diaw has made an unfortunate career of passing up shot after shot; completely frustrating both fans and teammates with his refusal to utilize his profound gifts as a low post scorer.

The guy's a great passer, always has been, and it says a lot about Diaw's commitment to craft that he was originally thought of as a Grant Hill-type point forward before thickening up and becoming a low post threat. Heading into the post and using guile and wily ways is a typical career arc for most NBA players as their ages advance, but this dude's only 29. Come on. He's been the old guy in the post at the pickup game since before he was legally allowed to rent a car.

His career has been one big taunt. We'd get just enough taste to keep us going -- a nice touch dish as a Hawk, a couple of rolling hooks in Charlotte, his brilliant 2005-06 campaign with the Phoenix Suns -- and it would be enough to keep us coming back. Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated pointed out on Wednesday morning that Diaw attempts one free throw for every 36 minutes of basketball he plays (one!), and yet you're considering it. You're a fan of 29 other NBA teams, and you're wondering if your team couldn't use that help up front, and someone to hit cutters.

Diaw will hit your cutters. He can't help it, despite his attempts at remaining completely anonymous. Even on Charlotte's 30th-ranked offense (perhaps better known as The Worst Offense You've Ever Seen) over a quarter of the possessions Diaw used up ended in an assist for the center. That would leave you enthused until you remember his 41 percent shooting, or the fact that the guy that doesn't shoot enough somehow still shoots too many three-pointers.

It's maddening. Diaw's 2005-06 campaign was one of the more enjoyable runs (he did run, back then) we've had as a fan of NBA big men. His quick hits and work in the post kept the Suns in championship contention despite playing almost an entire season without Amar'e Stoudemire in Stoudemire's prime years. Not only did Diaw make himself a threat, but he established that he could work with someone else (in this case, Steve Nash) dominating the ball. When the play breaks down, dump it in to Diaw and cut. See what happens. Get your hands ready.

We're six years removed from these nice things, and Diaw has let it all go to waste. At 29 he should be utilizing nearly a decade's worth of NBA know-how and a body that should still be in peak form, and yet one of the worst teams in NBA history wants absolutely nothing to do with him.

Nine years in, and it's clear that this is the Diaw we should come to expect. He might still provide those exhilarating hiccups, especially for whatever team he chooses to play for as 2011-12 winds down (the San Antonio Spurs, with close friend Tony Parker running the offense, appear to be the early leader), but Boris Diaw has spent 80 percent of his career betraying his gifts. By this time, there's no point in expecting anything else.

I think that article was pretty spot on.... I'd be okay with adding Diaw at the league minimum, but I wouldn't give him meaningful minutes until he proved that he was going to really bust his butt out there. He is like a hypertalented Tim Thomas (not a good thing) with how he drifts in and out of things for weeks at a time. But if he knew he was playing for a contract next season and really gave the effort that his talent deserves, he might turn himself into a bargain as opposed to a punchline.

Pingu
03-21-2012, 12:15 PM
He's a career underachiever, IMO. Unless you pair him with a good PG that makes everyone else better, like Steve Nash, he'll probably fail. I'd rather give the minutes to Lou.

I don't think that this is quite true. Diaw can create offense and is a good passer. He usually makes people around him better, not so much the other way around, and at any rate I don't think it's accurate to say that he needs a Steve Nash-caliber PG to succeed.

His MIP year, the Phoenix offense was running through Diaw (in the high post) almost as much as through Nash. Diaw got good numbers that year in large part because he was playing with players who can make good cuts and make shots, not so much because he was playing with somebody with the play-making abilities of Nash. Obviously, it didn't hurt to play with Nash, but I don't believe it was key to his success. What was key to his success that year I think was D'Antoni's ability to light a fire under his *** (and also obviously increased minutes from Amare being out).

I don't think that Diaw is primarily motivated by money as some seem to suggest. He's played with the French national team (for free) every time he was asked to do so, is one of the team captains, and has always shown a high level of commitment. I think that Diaw is motivated by playing and winning high stakes games (e.g. international tournaments or playoff games) more so than by money.

So the Pacers should look at Diaw if they think Vogel can light a fire under his *** and if they think the playoffs will be enough to get him motivated.

Also, while the fact that he defers a lot to other players and passes up shots he could take may be a problem as a starter on the worst team in the NBA but in a second unit with Hill, Barbosa, Hansbrough, etc. having somebody who'd rather pass it than shoot it would actually be a plus.

CableKC
03-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Just my opinion....but given the scoring flexibility of the 2nd unit of GH ( or DC ) / Barbosa / Inferno, I don't think that we need a Big Man that can is good at ball movement.....we need experienced size and strength down low to get those extra rebounds, scoring opportunities and defend against Players that West, Hibbert and Hansbrough can't defend. We need "beef" with the proverbial "Cheeseburger" that is the 2nd unit...not "extra fat".

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Now that Foster retired I really hope we go hard after Diaw we need him.

ilive4sports
03-21-2012, 03:09 PM
No thank you. Dude hasn't been motivated in a long time.

PaceBalls
03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
I know right? Why are you so fixated on Boris Diaw of all people VNZLA? He is a lazy overweight halfasser.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
I know right? Why are you so fixated on Boris Diaw of all people VNZLA? He is a lazy overweight halfasser.

An "overweight halfasser" that is been wanted by championship contender teams, he is so bad that he averages 7.4 points 5.3 rpg and 4.3 apg, yep let's bring the "better player" in Turiaf or Hollins :rolleyes:

spreedom
03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
An "overweight halfasser" that is been wanted by championship contender teams, he is so bad that he averages 7.4 points 5.3 rpg and 4.3 apg, yep let's bring the "better player" in Turiaf or Hollins :rolleyes:

Just about any player is desirable at the league minimum. It's not like contenders were blowing up Jordan's phone, trying to make a deal for Diaw.

cdash
03-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Pssshhh...Murphy blew those numbers out of the water.

I don't really give a **** about Diaw. He's incredibly fat and I think the fact that he gets assists gives some the illusion that he is a team oriented player--he's not. If we signed him for peanuts to slop up whatever minutes were available, that's fine. But I'm perfectly okay with leaving him to someone else as well.

TheDavisBrothers
03-21-2012, 04:35 PM

He's put up those numbers in a lot of minutes on by far the worst team in the league. Nobody is impressed in the slightest by them! Again with the rediculous exaggerating, I don't think anybody really thinks they are better players, they just realize that they are not much worse the Diaw and probably a better fit.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Pssshhh...Murphy blew those numbers out of the water.

I don't really give a **** about Diaw. He's incredibly fat and I think the fact that he gets assists gives some the illusion that he is a team oriented player--he's not. If we signed him for peanuts to slop up whatever minutes were available, that's fine. But I'm perfectly okay with leaving him to someone else as well.

Well the point has always been to sign him cheap, nobody is saying to give him a max or anything like that.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Just about any player is desirable at the league minimum. It's not like contenders were blowing up Jordan's phone, trying to make a deal for Diaw.

I didn't know that you work for the Bobcats thanks for the inside....

cdash
03-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Well the point has always been to sign him cheap, nobody is saying to give him a max or anything like that.

Yeah, and I'm okay with that. I wouldn't hate it if we signed him for the minimum.

I don't think it takes a Bobkitty insider to declare that if they had been fielding offers for him, they most certainly would have traded him. Seeing as how they, you know, just released him.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 04:43 PM
He's put up those numbers in a lot of minutes on by far the worst team in the league. Nobody is impressed in the slightest by them! Again with the rediculous exaggerating, I don't think anybody really thinks they are better players, they just realize that they are not much worse the Diaw and probably a better fit.

Yeah you are right nobody is impressed just teams that are trying to compete for a championship...

And you should make the exaggerating comments your signature so you don't have to repeat it on every one of your reply's to me.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Yeah, and I'm okay with that. I wouldn't hate it if we signed him for the minimum.

I don't think it takes a Bobkitty insider to declare that if they had been fielding offers for him, they most certainly would have traded him. Seeing as how they, you know, just released him.

The Bobcats pulled a Pacers by removing Diaw from the team before the trade deadline, why would a team in their right mind give them a pick or something if the know they can get him for free?

cdash
03-21-2012, 04:49 PM
The Bobcats pulled a Pacers by removing Diaw from the team before the trade deadline, why would a team in their right mind give them a pick or something if the know they can get him for free?

Why would any team in their right mind remove a guy from their team right before the trade deadline who had legitimate trade value?

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
And you should make the exaggerating comments your signature so you don't have to repeat it on every one of your reply's to me.

Or you should just stop exaggerating ;)

Anyway, about the whole Diaw vs Turiaf vs Hollins thingy.

It all depends on our needs and wants. Do we want a great passer, a below the rim defender and low post scorer? Then sign Diaw.

Do we want someone with size that can protect the rim and play above it? Then sign Fesenko or if you cannot find him Hollins.

Turiaf is taken anyway.

The important thing is that no matter who we choose he will play as our 5th big.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Why would any team in their right mind remove a guy from their team right before the trade deadline who had legitimate trade value?

You tell me I don't know? The Pacers did it with Tinsley/Ford and I'm pretty sure they had some value.

cdash
03-21-2012, 05:05 PM
You tell me I don't know? The Pacers did it with Tinsley/Ford and I'm pretty sure they had some value.

They absolutely didn't have any value.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
They absolutely didn't have any value.

We were close to trade Tinsley to Orlando and Ford to the Bobcats of course they had value.

TheDavisBrothers
03-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah you are right nobody is impressed just teams that are trying to compete for a championship...

I didn't know interested meant impressed...
As for SA's interest, that mostly stems from Tony Parker helping a teammate out.

And as Nurtius said, maybe you should quit exaggerating so much instead...
Vnzla: when all logic fails just exagerate!

ilive4sports
03-21-2012, 05:57 PM

And Eddie Curry was sought after and signed by the Heat. Guess we should have signed him too right?

Why didn't we go for Derrick Fisher? Dude has won 5 championships and was wanted by Miami before he signed with OKC.

Just because contenders want them, doesn't mean we should sign them.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
I didn't know interested meant impressed...
As for SA's interest, that mostly stems from Tony Parker helping a teammate out.

And as Nurtius said, maybe you should quit exaggerating so much instead...
Vnzla: when all logic fails just exagerate!

Yep it wouldn't be a reply without you mentioning the highlighted word, keep up the good work you are getting better.

D-BONE
03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Well, if we're getting Hollins just to sit on the bench and take up space, why not get somebody who can at least do something well if we need him.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 06:02 PM
And Eddie Curry was sought after and signed by the Heat. Guess we should have signed him too right?

Why didn't we go for Derrick Fisher? Dude has won 5 championships and was wanted by Miami before he signed with OKC.

Just because contenders want them, doesn't mean we should sign them.

Why would we sign Curry or Fishers? are you trying to make a point? :hmm:

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Well, if we're getting Hollins just to sit on the bench and take up space, why not get somebody who can at least do something well if we need him.

This is my point.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
This is my point.

Which does not answer my point, though.

What do we want them to do?

Do we want a below the rim defender who is great in passing and can score? If that's the case, sign Diaw.

Do we want a big body who can protect the rim? If that's the case, sign Fesenko or Hollins.

I'd still prefer Fesenko, personally.

D-BONE
03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
I'd be more about Fesenko, but is either one really going to be worth squat? Don't think so. Probably won't get off the bench. So, if it's absolutely about size, I'd go Fesenko. If it's about talent, I'd go Diaw. I would not got Hollins period.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Which does not answer my point, though.

What do we want them to do?

Do we want a below the rim defender who is great in passing and can score? If that's the case, sign Diaw.

Do we want a big body who can protect the rim? If that's the case, sign Fesenko or Hollins.

I'd still prefer Fesenko, personally.

Neither players are "rim protectors" they all average around the same blocks per game, you take the must talented one and in this case Diaw is hands down the must talented player.

Now that we have Barbosa and we are expecting to probably move Hill to the starting unit, Diaw could help to move the ball around in the second unit his passing ability and defense can help Tyler and DC big time.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Fesenko would actually be worth squat. The Jazz always had a deep frontline and he never got enough playing time.

He is tall, strong, can rebound and plays great defense. He also is a funny guy that can easily be a fan favorite. A great locker room guy as all his ex-teammates in Utah say.

The guy is only 25 and never averaged more than 2 shots per game in his entire NBA career. He deserves a second chance in the league.

Does he have downsides? Sure, he does. He is not as quick as Hollins. He is not as a talented passer or scorer as Diaw. He shoots FTs worse than Lou (really, he does).

But the guy can be trusted to play when needed and does all the dirty work. Is he poor man's Lou? Maybe. But he also is Lou's 7-1 version. I don't think that a duo of Lou and Kyrylo would allow any layups.

TheDavisBrothers
03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Yep it wouldn't be a reply without you mentioning the highlighted word, keep up the good work you are getting better.

You even exaggerate my use of the work exaggerate! You really are good!

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Neither players are "rim protectors" they all average around the same blocks per game

vnzla, I know that you're actually smart but this comment is ignorant.

Let me explain why by showing you the career stats of those 3 players:

Boris Diaw: 0.6 BPG on 30.3 MPG.

Kyrylo Fesenko: 0.4 BPG on 8.3 MPG.

Ryan Hollins: 0.5 BPG on 13.1 MPG.

To block shots you have to actually play the game. If you don't get enough PT then you're not going to get blocks either.

Do you need a better in-team comparison?

David West: 0.8 BPG on 32.1 MPG.

Lou Amundson: 0.8 BPG on 13.1 MPG.

Who is the better rim protector? We both know that Lou is the better one.

So, saying that Diaw as good of a rim protector as Fesenko or Hollins is like saying that West is as good of a rim protector as Lou.

Do you understand now why that comment of yours was ignorant?

TheDavisBrothers
03-21-2012, 06:47 PM

To block shots you have to actually play the game. If you don't get enough PT then you're not going to get blocks either.

So, saying that Diaw as good of a rim protector as Fesenko or Hollins is like saying that West is as good of a rim protector as Lou.

He know fully what he's doing, he does it on purpose...
Like I said his motto is: when all logic fails just exaggerate

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 06:59 PM

That's why I know that he is smart :p

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 07:17 PM
You even exaggerate my use of the work exaggerate! You really are good!

Like I said his motto is: when all logic fails just exaggerate

Good job, maybe next time you bring something worth of discussion to the table........

TheDavisBrothers
03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Good job, maybe next time you bring something worth of discussion to the table........

Well we can't all bring great lil nuggets like this...

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 07:27 PM

The point is that those players are not good enough to play those minutes, they average what they average, this is the same as people saying that if X player plays 36 minutes he can average as much and Y player in the same amount of minutes, is just and stupid argument, calling Hollins or Fesenko "rim protectors" is ridiculous, they are as much as "rim protectors" as Solomon Jones, both players are garbage.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
The point is that those players are not good enough to play those minutes, they average what they average, this is the same as people saying that if X player plays 36 minutes he can average as much and Y player in the same amount of minutes, is just and stupid argument, calling Hollins or Fesenko "rim protectors" is ridiculous, they are as much as "rim protectors" as Solomon Jones, both players are garbage.

They are not good enough offensively (or in Hollins case rebounding-wise) which results in taking limited minutes.

However, this has nothing to do with their abilities to defend and protect the rim.

West will get more PT than Lou. Why? He is a better offensive player, better passer etc. etc.

Is he as good as Lou on defense? No, he isn't.

Stop comparing apples and oranges, please.

Lin got little to no PT in GSW. Was he garbage?

BlueNGold
03-21-2012, 07:36 PM

This is a good point. Some players shouldn't be on the floor at all...so it's just not relevant. Hollins is being cut by a bad team because he's only in the NBA because he's 7 feet tall. Also, he's not even a young player with potential. Why try to develop a player who is not going to develop? I'd rather the Pacers give Oden a year.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 07:38 PM
They are not good enough offensively (or in Hollins case rebounding-wise) which results in taking limited minutes.

However, this has nothing to do with their abilities to defend and protect the rim.

West will get more PT than Lou. Why? He is a better offensive player, better passer etc. etc.

Now you are talking about Lin? :hmm: yep I'm done with this stupid argument you win.

TheDavisBrothers
03-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Now you are talking about Lin? :hmm: yep I'm done with this stupid argument you win.

It's only stupid when he loses...

BlueNGold
03-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Lin is a good player. Hollins simply shouldn't be on the floor. Solo would play before Hollins....and Lou is a lot better than Solo. That's why any stats you can pull from Hollins are irrelevant.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Every time you cannot back your opinion with facts (you hardly base your opinion on them anyway) and cannot come back with snide remarks, you back off.

Time after time, you fail to answer to a point based on facts.

So, I'll say it once again:

A player can be a great defender and a rim protector even when not playing big minutes due to his limited offensive skillset.

I don't know why is it so hard for you to understand it.

A team has needs and wants. A team signs players according to those.

So, in the whole Diaw vs defensive big argument one question will come into play.

What does the team want and need?

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Lin is a good player. Hollins simply shouldn't be on the floor. Solo would play before Hollins....and Lou is a lot better than Solo. That's why any stats you can pull from Hollins are irrelevant.

I'm not talking about Hollins. Read my comments again. I'm rooting for Fesenko the most and just mention Hollins as a side dish.

Edit: Who knew that Lin was a good player when he went undrafted and played less than 10 MPG in GSW? Sookie, 10 guys who watch the Ivy League and 4 GSW fans?

ilive4sports
03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Why would we sign Curry or Fishers? are you trying to make a point? :hmm:

You were using contenders showing interest in Diaw as a reason why he is good and why we should sign him. Contenders sign ****** players too. Thats my point.

Sandman21
03-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Edit: Who knew that Lin was a good player when he went undrafted and played less than 10 MPG in GSW? Sookie, 10 guys who watch the Ivy League and 4 GSW fans?

You forgot the random guy in Montana who fled civilization yet somehow has satellite tv.:laugh:

Hibbert
03-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Boris Diaw, no. If the worst team in league doesn't even want him than doesn't that answer this question by itself?

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 10:15 PM
If the worst team in league doesn't even want him than doesn't that answer this question by itself?

Not really. I guess that they just do it to give all of his minutes to Biyombo.

Hibbert
03-21-2012, 10:21 PM
We were close to trade Tinsley to Orlando and Ford to the Bobcats of course they had value.

Neither of those are true, just "rumors" at best. And just because you see online a "trade rumor" it doesn't mean either team was ever in talks or ever even mentioned such trade. A lot of the rumors you see are people's opinions on what they would do or what they see as a logical trade. We couldn't even pay a team to take Tinsley, hell we paid him then told him to stay away.

Hibbert
03-21-2012, 10:25 PM

They wouldn't, it's never been done before. They try to trade those types for a reason. After no takers and no deal happens they buy them out or waive them.

ECKrueger
03-21-2012, 10:32 PM
I'd rather just have Jeff replace Jeff.

Hibbert
03-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Not really. I guess that they just do it to give all of his minutes to Biyombo.

Or cause he thinks he's better than he really is and has clashed with coach all year? Averaging career low in points, shooting freaking .267% from 3 and .410% on FG's(both career lows), even his FT % is at an all time low .630%, shows up fat as **** and has his own coach saying this about him:

"I like a player who is really committed to not only the team but to himself and then doing the best he can as a player," Silas said. "Some of the things that would go on, like not shooting the ball, passing all of the time, that doesn't help us.

"I needed hoops and he could put the ball in the hoop. When that wouldn't happen, it was very disturbing."

Silas later added: "I think if he had played all out, the way he should have, it would have been a much, much better club."

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/Charlotte-waives-veteran-forward-Boris-Diaw-3423631.php#ixzz1poT40OXb

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Or cause he thinks he's better than he really is and has clashed with coach all year? Averaging career low in points, shooting freaking .267% from 3 and .410% on FG's(both career lows), even his FT % is at an all time low .630%, shows up fat as **** and has his own coach saying this about him:

"I like a player who is really committed to not only the team but to himself and then doing the best he can as a player," Silas said. "Some of the things that would go on, like not shooting the ball, passing all of the time, that doesn't help us.

"I needed hoops and he could put the ball in the hoop. When that wouldn't happen, it was very disturbing."

Silas later added: "I think if he had played all out, the way he should have, it would have been a much, much better club."

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/Charlotte-waives-veteran-forward-Boris-Diaw-3423631.php#ixzz1poT40OXb

I actually thought he was in good terms with Silas. My bad, I guess. Thanks for the info.

Hibbert
03-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Now that Foster retired I really hope we go hard after Diaw we need him.

We're not interested in him so we're not going to sign him. I don't know why you continue to keep this thread going by adding what you just posted to it when you know we're not even looking at him.

Nuntius
03-21-2012, 10:40 PM
We're not interested in him so we're not going to sign him. I don't know why you continue to keep this thread going by adding what you just posted to it when you know we're not even looking at him.

People are allowed to dream, right? :)

spreedom
03-21-2012, 10:44 PM

http://pacersdigest.com/images/smilies/thatswhatshesaid.jpg

I Love P
03-21-2012, 10:53 PM
http://pacersdigest.com/images/smilies/thatswhatshesaid.jpg

ROTFLMAO

vnzla81
03-22-2012, 01:50 PM
@gdickerson_csn: Look for Ryan hollins to be in Philly tomorrow w the c's..celts had hoped to add diaw as well, but were not able to get him

vnzla81
03-23-2012, 03:03 PM
@MrMichaelLee: Tony Parker gets to team up with his best friend RT @WojYahooNBA Boris Diaw reaches agreement on deal with SAS: http://t.co/XN291x0Q

Nuntius
03-23-2012, 09:14 PM
@MrMichaelLee: Tony Parker gets to team up with his best friend RT @WojYahooNBA Boris Diaw reaches agreement on deal with SAS: http://t.co/XN291x0Q

Good for him and good for Tony as well :)