PDA

View Full Version : Derek Fisher a no-show in Houston

PacersFan1991
03-17-2012, 12:36 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7698054/houston-rockets-welcome-marcus-camby-cut-terrence-williams-derek-fisher-no-show

Camby arrived but not Derek, also the article claims he may never play at all for them, although adds nothing to support that theory. But anyone think Fisher may decide to retire or ask for a buyout to go somewhere else?

croz24
03-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Fisher has always been a prick...

spreedom
03-17-2012, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure that article (or Morey) really says that he was expected and didn't show up or anything like that, so calling it a "no-show" and implying that the team just doesn't know where he is might be a little misleading. Sounds like they're working on a buyout and Morey is just playing his cards close to his chest.

Also, unless Morey is just being really diplomatic about Williams' departure (again, possibly him being intentionally vague), it sounds like he was just squeezed out of the rotation because of the bodies in front of him. Maybe he wasn't driven out of town by an angry mob after all.

Lance George
03-17-2012, 01:06 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/franblinebury

@franblinebury
Rockets will buy out Derek Fisher, declare the future is in front of them.

Fran is a writer for the Hangtime blog on NBA.com.

Also, the Rockets have waived Terrence Williams (http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/03/rockets-waive-terrence-williams-derek-fisher-may-not-play-a-game-as-a-rocket/).

The buyout deadline is Thursday.

PacersFan1991
03-17-2012, 01:07 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/franblinebury

@franblinebury
Rockets will buy out Derek Fisher, declare the future is in front of them.

Fran is a writer for the Hangtime blog on NBA.com.

Also, the Rockets have waived Terrence Williams (http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/03/rockets-waive-terrence-williams-derek-fisher-may-not-play-a-game-as-a-rocket/).

Bring him to the Pacers! :D sorry I had to

sportfireman
03-17-2012, 03:18 AM
I think being president of the union and this lockout is what got Fisher traded.

PR07
03-17-2012, 09:43 AM
He'll probably just end up signing back with the Lakers right? For what seems like the billionth time.

ksuttonjr76
03-17-2012, 09:50 AM
He'll probably just end up signing back with the Lakers right? For what seems like the billionth time.

I thought they couldn't resign with their former team?

Hicks
03-17-2012, 09:59 AM
The new CBA closed that loophole; he can't be a Laker for a year.

PacersFan1991
03-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Question now is where will he go?

troyc11a
03-18-2012, 12:24 AM

Does anyone really care? It's not like he is good enough to help a team contend. Maybe an 11th-12th player on a good team.

OlBlu
03-18-2012, 07:33 AM
I think being president of the union and this lockout is what got Fisher traded.

How about the fact he was just getting long in the tooth and slowing down? :cool:

joew8302
03-18-2012, 10:17 AM
All you hear about is how classy he is and what a good guy he is. This shows the guys true character IMO. I am amazed a Union president would do something like this.

Slick Pinkham
03-18-2012, 10:24 AM

The Heat tried to sign him the last time he was a free agent, before last season

Doesn't really fit with their defense though

spreedom
03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
The new CBA closed that loophole; he can't be a Laker for a year.

If he exercises his player option for next season, I'm pretty sure it means he can't sign with LAL in 12-13 either.

DrFife
03-18-2012, 11:37 AM
With Billups out for the year, perhaps he'll just stay put and join the Clips.

dal9
03-18-2012, 12:44 PM
All you hear about is how classy he is and what a good guy he is. This shows the guys true character IMO. I am amazed a Union president would do something like this.

get traded?

---

But seriously, I don't see why he should be looked down upon for retiring (if he does do that).

joew8302
03-18-2012, 01:18 PM
get traded?

---

But seriously, I don't see why he should be looked down upon for retiring (if he does do that).

ummmm no.....

Not report after getting traded...

03-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Why not? Isn't this the same tactic he used with the lock-out? Apparently Fisher doesn't understand the notion of a CONTRACT. This is what happens when you allow the league to be dominated by morons. The league needs to be controlled by the business savvy owners, i.e. the NFL, not pre-madonna players.

PacerPenguins
03-18-2012, 04:04 PM
alright for some reason my computer is not letting me copy and paste but he was just brought out...

http://twitter.com/#!/wojyahoonba

ballism
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Considering his history, I'd guess he doesn't want to move his family. I won't be surprised if he ends up with the Clips.

shags
03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Why not? Isn't this the same tactic he used with the lock-out? Apparently Fisher doesn't understand the notion of a CONTRACT. This is what happens when you allow the league to be dominated by morons. The league needs to be controlled by the business savvy owners, i.e. the NFL, not pre-madonna players.

You're not actually suggesting the players won the lockout, are you? The lockout results were as lopsided as this game:

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=320314018

With the owners being the Knicks, and the players being the Blazers.

Hicks
03-18-2012, 05:15 PM
I have to think Houston expected that there would be a buyout. I have no problem with him not reporting given this apparent inevitability.

shags
03-18-2012, 05:38 PM
I have to think Houston expected that there would be a buyout. I have no problem with him not reporting given this apparent inevitability.

That's what I think too.

OlBlu
03-18-2012, 06:22 PM

The NFL owners do not understand contracts, they break them all of the time....:cool:

spreedom
03-18-2012, 07:33 PM

Agreed, and I also don't hold him to a ridiculous standard that says that he's pure evil if he wants to be picky about where his daughter gets treatment. He can and should go to the Clippers if he wants his daughter to be looked after in LA. To say that he's some kind of jerk because he wants that is just stupid.

shags
03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Agreed, and I also don't hold him to a ridiculous standard that says that he's pure evil if he wants to be picky about where his daughter gets treatment. He can and should go to the Clippers if he wants his daughter to be looked after in LA. To say that he's some kind of jerk because he wants that is just stupid.

But do the Clippers need Fisher? If they sign Bobby Simmons for the remainder of the season, they don't have a logical candidate to cut to sign Fisher. And I'm not sure they need him with Mo Williams and Bledsoe picking up the 8 to 10 minutes behind Paul. Plus Fisher can't play with him. It doesn't make basketball sense to me.

vapacersfan
03-18-2012, 08:02 PM

I agree.

Though, just to play devils advocate, could he not keep his daughter in LA with the rest of his family and play in another state?

3 8 thee great t h
03-18-2012, 08:11 PM
D fish is a bum! Also who here wouldn't mind t will? I mean we don't "technically" have a back up sf I mean hill barbosa and Williams sounds like a lot of scoring to deal with especially on fast breaks. Add in lou and Hans and you got yourself a very solid back up five who probably could beat some of the worst starting fives in the NBA. (hornets wizards and blazers we looking at you, you two Charlotte)

spreedom
03-18-2012, 08:29 PM
But do the Clippers need Fisher? If they sign Bobby Simmons for the remainder of the season, they don't have a logical candidate to cut to sign Fisher. And I'm not sure they need him with Mo Williams and Bledsoe picking up the 8 to 10 minutes behind Paul. Plus Fisher can't play with him. It doesn't make basketball sense to me.

I don't know why they haven't cut Billups yet... but they really should. And while Fisher might not play a huge on-court role, that is a team that is clearly in need of leadership.

I agree.

Though, just to play devils advocate, could he not keep his daughter in LA with the rest of his family and play in another state?

Yeah, but honestly, if my child had cancer I would do everything possible, including sacrificing some of my dignity if need be, to be as close to her for as much of her treatment as I could.

rabid
03-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Why all the Hate for Fisher? I don't like the Lakers but I never had a problem with him personally. Is there some history I'm missing here? Some of you guys are downright hateful.

spreedom
03-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Why all the Hate for Fisher? I don't like the Lakers but I never had a problem with him personally. Is there some history I'm missing here? Some of you guys are downright hateful.

A lot of people think that he used his daughter's rare form of eye cancer to weasel his way out of Utah (though they voided his contract and didn't buy him out -- he didn't get a penny from them the day he left) to get back to Los Angeles. I think it's over-the-top cynicism and to suggest that he took advantage of his daughter's condition is a disgusting accusation.

TheDavisBrothers
03-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Personally, I don't "hate" him, but I don't like him either. No one can really say what his true intentions were with the Utah situation, so that has no bearing on my distaste for him. I don't like him mainly for 2 reasons:
1. I can't stand the Lakers and dislike pretty much everyone their team
2. In the 2009 playoffs he threw a completely dirty, cheap shot to Scola

jeffg-body
03-19-2012, 12:16 AM
I have never hated the guy, When he asked to be traded so his little one could get the best medical treatment kind of struck me in a positive way. I like Indiana but I also like South Carolina better, but I wouldn't want to move too far from Riley Hospital with my special needs daughter. I do dislike the Lakers on a whole so he would been in that category.

Freddie fan
03-19-2012, 09:48 AM
The league needs to be controlled by the business savvy owners, i.e. the NFL, not pre-madonna players.

Players from before the Material Girl? :D

joew8302
03-19-2012, 10:16 AM
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1169710&sid=74b235700774b65f6618f885141138e2

Looks like some of the Rockets fans aren't as forgiving as some of you. I mean Houston did have a need for a PG, so I am not so sure I buy the "Rockets knew trhis would happen" excuse some of you are portraying. I still maintain Fisher looks bad and unprofessional here. Not the kind of thing you want from the players Union rep.

OlBlu
03-19-2012, 10:27 AM
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1169710&sid=74b235700774b65f6618f885141138e2

Looks like some of the Rockets fans aren't as forgiving as some of you. I mean Houston did have a need for a PG, so I am not so sure I buy the "Rockets knew trhis would happen" excuse some of you are portraying. I still maintain Fisher looks bad and unprofessional here. Not the kind of thing you want from the players Union rep.

This is silly. Obviously Houston told him they wanted to buy him out and he didn't need to report. If he didn't report and they really expected him to do so, they could suspend him without pay for failing to report. They never had an intention of having him on their team.......:cool:

Since86
03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
:laugh: Fish's own publicist admits that Houston wanted Fish as a member of their team, and that Fish didn't want to report which is why there was a buy-out.

Houston Rockets (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Sports+Leagues/NBA/Houston+Rockets) PG Derek Fisher: The former Los Angeles Laker didn't report after Thursday's trade. Fisher's publicist, Jamie Wior, confirmed that both sides reached a buyout deal. Under the collective bargaining agreement, he can't return now to the Lakers.

"After much discussion and expressing their desire to welcome Derek to their team this season as well as the 2012-2013 season, the Houston Rockets and Derek have negotiated a buyout," Wior said in a statement. "Derek's desire to win a sixth championship is what drives him and will continue to drive him as he moves forward. We thank the Houston Rockets front office for their interest, time and their absolute professionalism."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/story/2012-03-15/Buyout-time-coming-for-Fisher-best-of-NBA-weekend/53619498/1

Kuq_e_Zi91
03-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't know why they haven't cut Billups yet... but they really should. And while Fisher might not play a huge on-court role, that is a team that is clearly in need of leadership.

So a team in need of leadership, and more specifically, not on-court leadership, should cut Billups?

:laugh: Fish's own publicist admits that Houston wanted Fish as a member of their team, and that Fish didn't want to report which is why there was a buy-out.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/story/2012-03-15/Buyout-time-coming-for-Fisher-best-of-NBA-weekend/53619498/1

That's just PR. Morey didn't even address Fisher after the trades. The Rockets had no intention of keeping him or his contract.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/2012/03/16/ZOOM0003MOV-2036745

Since86
03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah it's PR. FOR Fisher.....

The Rockets had acquired the Lakers icon on Thursday afternoon with the hopes of convincing him to stay with them the remainder of the season. Houston currently sits eighth in the Western Conference and hoped his locker room presence would help them make the playoffs and influence what had been a relatively young roster. They also have a need for another point guard while Kyle Lowry (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3012/kyle-lowry) recovers from a bacterial infection over the next few weeks.

Fisher was genuinely torn by the situation, according to a source close to Fisher, which is why the Lakers and Rockets mutually decided to extend the deadline for him to report by 24 hours.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7706447/derek-fisher-houston-rockets-reach-buyout-agreement

If Houston simply wanted a first round draft pick, and thus didn't want Fisher, then they should have taken the reported Nets deal who was willing to give anyone one of their first round picks if a team took Petro off their hands.

Houston could have kept Jordan Hill, got a first round pick, and simply cut Petro.

Petro is going to be owed 3.5M next season. Fisher is going to be owed 3.4M next season.

Clearly the Rockets wanted Fisher.

Since86
03-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Okay, this is even funnier.....

If Houston merely wanted a first round draft pick, then they really should have taken the Nets deal.

Johan Petro has a $4.25M player option for next season which he is expected to exercise. With the Nets looking to clear cap space for the off-season, they are willing to deal a first-round pick to move Petro's contract.

According to

Chad Ford (http://www.iamagm.com/nba-writers/chad.ford) from ESPN.com (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7687568/nba-most-likely-traded):

Petro isn't particularly coveted, and he stretches the definition of "impact player" too far. Nevertheless, I've heard his name come up in myriad scenarios. Why? The Nets need to clear him off their roster to make room for whomever they sign in free agency this summer, and they're willing to offer the Rockets' first-round pick that they have to the team willing to take him into their cap room.

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2012/03/14/nets.offering.first.round.pick.somebody.take.johan .petro.their.books

So the Rockets could have just taken Petro, cut him which would have cost an extra $100,000 and got their own draft pick back.

EDIT: This link say's Petro's option is for 4.25M. ShamSports has it at 3.5M.

spreedom
03-19-2012, 11:36 AM

If the Rockets were really trading to get talent back, they would have asked for Steve Blake and told the Lakers to keep their pick. This is strictly their public face, if you ask me.

Sollozzo
03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
If Houston did indeed want Fisher (and I think they did based on what Since is saying/linking to as well as the fact that Lowry is injured), then there is something a bit bothersome about the head of the Players Organization essentially saying "screw you" to the team he was traded to, IMHO.

dal9
03-19-2012, 12:14 PM
"After much discussion and expressing their desire to welcome Derek to their team this season as well as the 2012-2013 season, the Houston Rockets and Derek have negotiated a buyout," Wior said in a statement. "

This also kind of sounds like Wior pumping his guy up...don't think he is going to get much interest as a FA...but I could be wrong

spreedom
03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
So a team in need of leadership, and more specifically, not on-court leadership, should cut Billups?

What's the point of having Billups take up a roster spot this season when you know 100% that he won't be able to play? You could always waive him and make him an assistant coach of some kind until the offseason. With Fisher, at least you'd get a body to plug in should you need him in an emergency scenario.

Cap gurus... is there any benefit of keeping Billups right now? Does it affect how much they're able to offer him this summer? Or is it a respect thing?

joew8302
03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I am waiting to see what Fisher does now. I mean if his priorities are all about her daughter and the need to stay close to LA he will retire, right? If he signs with a contender I think not reporting is a punk move. I mean if they negotiated a buyout that is fine, but to not report or even contact the head coach after a trade? Get real.

MillerTime
03-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Doesnt set a good precedent when the president of the Union doesnt report to a team

imbtyler
03-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Too lazy/busy to read through every post, but has anyone suggested picking up Derek Fisher? Pass-first, veteran point guard, hits big shots, played with one of the best players in the league for years. He may not want to move his family (fine), but pending his price tag, is there any reason why we shouldn't pick him up?

I don't see why not. Adding Fisher doesn't hurt the team, as far as I can see.

Sollozzo
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Too lazy/busy to read through every post, but has anyone suggested picking up Derek Fisher? Pass-first, veteran point guard, hits big shots, played with one of the best players in the league for years. He may not want to move his family (fine), but pending his price tag, is there any reason why we shouldn't pick him up?

I don't see why not. Adding Fisher doesn't hurt the team, as far as I can see.

If Fisher didn't want to play in Houston then he wouldn't want to play here. He clearly wants to go to a championship contender, which we are not.

imbtyler
03-19-2012, 02:45 PM
If Fisher didn't want to play in Houston then he wouldn't want to play here. He clearly wants to go to a championship contender, which we are not.

All we're missing at this point is a solid back-up 4/5. Adding that player and Fisher would make us championship contenders. Or, at the very least, Fisher should believe that he is all that is necessary to add to the Pacers in order to make them contenders.

Of course, chances are, if he comes to the East, he ends up with Chicago (why?) or Miami (bleh). It doesn't matter, though, because I have a very strong feeling that Larry Bird couldn't give two s***s about picking up Fisher, at all.

Sollozzo
03-19-2012, 02:48 PM
All we're missing at this point is a solid back-up 4/5. Adding that player and Fisher would make us championship contenders. Or, at the very least, Fisher should believe that he is all that is necessary to add to the Pacers in order to make them contenders.

Of course, chances are, if he comes to the East, he ends up with Chicago (why?) or Miami (bleh). It doesn't matter, though, because I have a very strong feeling that Larry Bird couldn't give two s***s about picking up Fisher, at all.

A 37 year old Derek Fisher isn't making anyone a championship contender. The Lakers love the guy but traded him for a bag of chips. That should tell you something.

Derek Fisher in his prime didn't make anyone a championship contender either. He was a decent role player that benefited from playing with a couple of the greatest players in NBA history. In 2012, he is nothing but a washed up scrub with a sense of entitlement.

shags
03-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Okay, this is even funnier.....

If Houston merely wanted a first round draft pick, then they really should have taken the Nets deal.

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2012/03/14/nets.offering.first.round.pick.somebody.take.johan .petro.their.books

So the Rockets could have just taken Petro, cut him which would have cost an extra $100,000 and got their own draft pick back.

EDIT: This link say's Petro's option is for 4.25M. ShamSports has it at 3.5M.

According to the Rockets beat writer, Fisher chose not to pick up his option next season as part of the buyout agreement.

http://twitter.com/#!/jonathan_feigen

So it basically cost the Rockets $200,000 to pick up a first rounder from the Lakers. That's a better deal than acquiring Petro would have been.

Since86
03-20-2012, 08:40 AM
According to the Rockets beat writer, Fisher chose not to pick up his option next season as part of the buyout agreement.

http://twitter.com/#!/jonathan_feigen

So it basically cost the Rockets $200,000 to pick up a first rounder from the Lakers. That's a better deal than acquiring Petro would have been.

Yeah, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm challenging the idea that Houston made this trade with the intent of cutting Fisher.

PacersFan1991
03-20-2012, 03:31 PM
“@sam_amick: On Derek Fisher front, sources close to him expect him to sign w/ OKC if he clears waivers,but we shall see. Thunder need depth & leadership”

Twitter.com/sam_amick