PDA

View Full Version : Official Deron Williams to Pacers talk

mattie
03-16-2012, 06:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7696312/new-jersey-nets-deron-williams-says-opt-contract

With Dwight and Deron now not happening, I figure we have a big chance of landing him this summer. What do you think?

With Indiana he has this to think about: Playing with Paul George, playing for an instant title contender, versus a team on the decline, a great franchise. Why wouldn't he consider playing for us with a max contract???

PR07
03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
I think he ends up in Dallas.

Infinite MAN_force
03-16-2012, 06:31 PM
I think Cuban is going to go after him hard, they will have the money to pay him and he's from Dallas area originally.

However, we might have a shot. I like our chances at either him, or if he ends up in Dallas, Steve Nash. PG should be the number 1 priority in the off season.

Lance George
03-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Dallas Mavericks Roster (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2012.html)

Jason Kidd - 38
Vince Carter - 35
Jason Terry - 34
Dirk Nowitzki - 33
Shawn Marion - 33
Lamar Odom - 32
Brendan Haywoode - 32

The Mavs under-30 roster...

Delonte West 28
Ian Mahinmi 25
Sean Williams 25
Brandan Wright 24
Yi Jianlian 24
Rodrigue Beaubois 23
Dominique Jones 23

Garbage.

If Deron wants to win, long-term, we're a much better option than Dallas.

NapTonius Monk
03-16-2012, 06:56 PM
I doubt he gives Indiana any consideration whatsoever. He probably already has a short list, and we're likely not on it.

Shade
03-16-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't see any way he doesn't end up in Dallas.

pacerjones20
03-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I wish we could get him but I think its pretty much decided he's going to the mavs

troyc11a
03-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't see any way he doesn't end up in Dallas.

If he wants to make the same amount of $$$ in Dallas and have less of a chance to win then by all means - go to big D.
Indiana is a team that would be in title contention for the next 10 years with Williams. If he goes to Dallas he has maybe a 1-2 year window at best.

croz24
03-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Prima donna

Aw Heck
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Deron is going to Dallas so he can play with another superstar. The Pacers do not have a superstar.

If it doesn't work out, he'll just do what seemingly every other superstar has done lately. He'll demand a trade.

OlBlu
03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
If he wants to make the same amount of $$$ in Dallas and have less of a chance to win then by all means - go to big D.
Indiana is a team that would be in title contention for the next 10 years with Williams. If he goes to Dallas he has maybe a 1-2 year window at best.

What makes you think the Pacers are going to be in title contention in any of the next ten years? What makes you think that Cuban has gone deaf, dumb and blind? Cuban will keep building a winner in Dallas..... Another poster had it right, Williams is going to a team with a superstar and Indiana doesn't have one or any player that is even close............:cool:

spreedom
03-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I think Deron (and the Mavs) are banking on Dwight ending up there in the summer of 2013. Either way, Mavs will have a lot of cap space that summer that they can use in a variety of ways to stay competitive.

troyc11a
03-16-2012, 08:08 PM
What makes you think the Pacers are going to be in title contention in any of the next ten years? What makes you think that Cuban has gone deaf, dumb and blind? Cuban will keep building a winner in Dallas..... Another poster had it right, Williams is going to a team with a superstar and Indiana doesn't have one or any player that is even close............:cool:

With the addition of Williams the Pacers will be a dynamic team because of the talent level already in place. The Mavs will have an aging Dirk and whatever they can pick up in FA. They could be good, or they could not. We dont know. What we do know is Dirk will not be a superstar in a couple years. He is 33 y/o.

Kstat
03-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Deron Williams is from Dallas. He grew up there. I see no reason why they wouldn't be #1 on his list. They can shed plenty of salary next summer and go after Dwight Howard in 2013.

mattie
03-17-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm at a loss on why the Pacers aren't a consideration for Deron. As if he's already made up his mind.

This board can really come to some absurd conclusions refusing to consider anything else until they change their mind 6 months later.

It's like when I made that thread at the beginning of the season asking if George Hill should start at point. I got a resounding "rofl no har har ur dum." Now the entire board has accepted that Hill and DC play the same game only Hill is much better. *lightbulb*

When Deron Williams gives the Pacers a serious look this summer because we are in a much better situation than Dallas is, what are you all going to say? "urghhhhhh I told you so"

Kstat
03-17-2012, 07:40 AM
I don't think he won't consider Indiana. Dallas simply has a major advantage. It's his home. They have Dirk. They will have a ton of cap space even with those two. They have Mark Cuban who players love because he will spend money to improve.

Indiana you can argue has a younger and deeper core, but they don't have a proven guy like Dirk (young or old) who Deron can point to and say, "that's going to be my partner in crime."

I just don't see it. The Pacers would have a lot better odds targeting Steve Nash this summer.

mattie
03-17-2012, 07:43 AM
I don't think he won't consider Indiana. Dallas simply has a major advantage. It's his home. They have Dirk. They will have a ton of cap space even with those two.

You're basically the only one in this thread I'm not responding too-

I agree he's going to give Dallas a look too.

When it comes time to sign that contract, the situation that best fits him is probably what he'll do. That may mean he signs with a declining Dallas team and trust that Cuban will bring in talent. Sure.

But know one really knows what he'll do. The only thing we can really guess at, is who he'll take a serious look at. And I see two teams: Indiana and Dallas.

mattie
03-17-2012, 07:44 AM
I don't want to go after Nash. He's getting so old, that it may end up just being counterproductive.

BlueNGold
03-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Has he indicated his preferences? Similar to George Hill, just because he's from Dallas doesn't mean he wants to go there. I would at least offer up Granger, Collison and Hans.

Kstat
03-17-2012, 07:46 AM
He's leading the league in assists by a country mile. I don't see why anybody looking to win right away would not want him.

I don't care if he's 55 years old. If my team needs a PG and he's on the market, he's more than welcome to play for me for 2-3 years. 2 years of nash is worth 10 with %90 of the rest of the PGs in the NBA.

travmil
03-17-2012, 07:47 AM
When Deron Williams and his agent gives the Pacers a serious look this summer in order to get a max contract offer from teams he'd rather play for, because we are in a much better situation than Dallas is, what are you all going to say? "urghhhhhh I told you so"

Fixed.

mattie
03-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Has he indicated his preferences? Similar to George Hill, just because he's from Dallas doesn't mean he wants to go there. I would at least offer up Granger, Collison and Hans.

uh? Deron WIlliams is opting out of his contract this summer. He'll be a free agent.

BlueNGold
03-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Did he have a choice when he went to NJ? He did go to Illinois and might like to contend with the Bulls.

Yes, we are the ugly sister here in central Indiana....

Kstat
03-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Did he have a choice when he went to NJ? He did go to Illinois and might like to contend with the Bulls.

That makes no sense. They already have Derrick Rose.

BlueNGold
03-17-2012, 07:51 AM
That makes no sense. They already have Derrick Rose.

Contend with the Bulls. That means play with the Pacers who are already in their heads.

conĚtend/kənˈtend/
Verb:
Struggle to surmount (a difficulty or danger)

Kstat
03-17-2012, 07:53 AM
...why would him going to Illinois make him want to beat the bulls?

Kstat
03-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Has he indicated his preferences? Similar to George Hill, just because he's from Dallas doesn't mean he wants to go there.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2012/02/nets_deron_williams_praises_hi.html

“I always like playing here,” Williams said when asked about his thoughts on playing in Dallas’ American Airlines Center, where the Nets will take on the Mavericks tonight. “It’s probably my favorite (arena) to play in. I just enjoy playing here — I enjoy playing in front of my friends, family. It’s always good they get the chance to come and see me play.”

Williams was asked whether he likes the arena itself, or just the idea of playing home.

“Home,” he said.

BlueNGold
03-17-2012, 07:57 AM
...why would him going to Illinois make him want to beat the bulls?

He may want to show he's the best PG in the NBA, not Derrick Rose. It would be a good opportunity. ...and it's about as logical as saying he wants to play for Dallas just because of location.

BlueNGold
03-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Well, now that's something more than speculation.

Kstat
03-17-2012, 08:01 AM
I still think Steve Nash would actually be a better fit in Indiana, at least for 2 years. Not only does it allow you to re-set the timer on Darren Collison, but Nash would make George and Hibbert better, as well as resurrect Granger's lost shooting touch. Nash would also be significantly cheaper/.

Don't get me wrong, obviously Deron Williams is the prize of the summer, but Nash has a better chance of improving everyone else on whatever team he plays for.

BlueNGold
03-17-2012, 08:06 AM
I still think Steve Nash would actually be a better fit in Indiana, at least for 2 years. Not only does it allow you to re-set the timer on Darren Collison, but Nash would make George and Hibbert better, as well as resurrect Granger's lost shooting touch.

If that can be done without upsetting team chemistry, I'd be fine with it. The other option is to give George Hill the keys for now. He's a better option too. Either way, we are looking at a temporary fix.

Hicks
03-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Lately what I've read indicates he very well may just play in Brooklyn.

ksuttonjr76
03-17-2012, 08:24 AM
I don't think he won't consider Indiana. Dallas simply has a major advantage. It's his home. They have Dirk. They will have a ton of cap space even with those two. They have Mark Cuban who players love because he will spend money to improve.

Indiana you can argue has a younger and deeper core, but they don't have a proven guy like Dirk (young or old) who Deron can point to and say, "that's going to be my partner in crime."

I just don't see it. The Pacers would have a lot better odds targeting Steve Nash this summer.

And that's ALL they have. If you look at the BASKETBALL reasons, Indiana would be a better fit than Dallas if he wants to contend for a championship. However, I'm not saying this would be the BEST fit for him, since I haven't had a chance to look at the other teams' PG situation.

Kstat
03-17-2012, 08:29 AM
And that's ALL they have. If you look at the BASKETBALL reasons, Indiana would be a better fit than Dallas if he wants to contend for a championship. However, I'm not saying this would be the BEST fit for him, since I haven't had a chance to look at the other teams' PG situation.

That is not ALL they have. They would have Dirk, Deron, and max cap space to pursue Howard in 2013.

Kstat
03-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Lately what I've read indicates he very well may just play in Brooklyn.

...which I think may be his second choice to Dallas. Stay in Brooklyn and hook up with Dwight the following summer.

troyc11a
03-17-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm at a loss on why the Pacers aren't a consideration for Deron. As if he's already made up his mind.

This board can really come to some absurd conclusions refusing to consider anything else until they change their mind 6 months later.

It's like when I made that thread at the beginning of the season asking if George Hill should start at point. I got a resounding "rofl no har har ur dum." Now the entire board has accepted that Hill and DC play the same game only Hill is much better. *lightbulb*

When Deron Williams gives the Pacers a serious look this summer because we are in a much better situation than Dallas is, what are you all going to say? "urghhhhhh I told you so"

I agree 100%. Dallas will have money to spend but will have to convince quality players to come there and hope they jell. Indiana is a pg away from being a really strong contender in the East as long as they dont gut the team in a trade. Signing Williams would make them instant contenders. He is that good and the Pacers have that much talent around him. How many teams would be better 1-3? Williams, George, Granger and that does not count the two "former" all stars at PF and C. Then add DC, GH, and a strong bench = 60+ wins minimum!

ksuttonjr76
03-17-2012, 09:02 AM
That is not ALL they have. They would have Dirk, Deron, and max cap space to pursue Howard in 2013.

Why wait for 2013 when he contend in 2012? The man is not getting any younger.

Really?
03-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Really, at this point I am just focused on us getting past the 2nd round of the playoffs, lol...

That is enough dreaming for me at this point...

Kstat
03-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Ken Berger was just on XM radio breaking down the Deron Williams situation about 10 minutes ago.

He said right now it's a tug of war between Deron wanting to go home to play in Dallas, and his agent pushing really hard to get him to play in New York for the prestige and the endorsement money. Apparently he's gone on record saying there is no better place for a superstar athlete than new York.

Apparently, his agent is also the same guy that steered Tyson Chandler from Dallas to the Knicks last summer.

ksuttonjr76
03-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Ken Berger was just on XM radio breaking down the Deron Williams situation about 10 minutes ago.

He said right now it's a tug of war between Deron wanting to go home to play in Dallas, and his agent pushing really hard to get him to play in New York for the prestige and the endorsement money. Apparently he's gone on record saying there is no better place for a superstar athlete than new York.

Apparently, his agent is also the same guy that steered Tyson Chandler from Dallas to the Knicks last summer.

Geez, does anyone play the game to win anymore???????

Kstat
03-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Geez, does anyone play the game to win anymore???????

...you were under the impression agents cared about wins and losses?

Deron was in a good situation in Utah, playing for a hall of fame coach. He was so unhappy there his coach quit and his team traded him to New Jersey. Whatever gave you the idea Deron's decision would be based strictly on where he can squeak out a few extra wins?

I'm sure if Dallas was miserable, that'd probably be different. But it's not like they're a poorly-run franchise.

I'll put it this way: if Eric Gordon was a UFA this summer, and chose to play in Indiana over a franchise like minnesota with arguably a better young core, nobody here would be complaining.

These guys are basketball players, not machines. They do have personal preferences. They can care about winning games and still not choose their next team by who has better young players.

On the other hand, there are also guys like Durant and possibly dwight howard, who value loyalty. Again, NBA players are human beings, too. They don't all think alike.

Will Galen
03-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Deron was in a good situation in Utah, playing for a hall of fame coach. He was so unhappy there his coach quit and his team traded him to New Jersey. Whatever gave you the idea Deron's decision would be based strictly on where he can squeak out a few extra wins?

I'm sure if Dallas was miserable, that'd probably be different. But it's not like they're a poorly-run franchise.

I'll put it this way: if Eric Gordon was a UFA this summer, and chose to play in Indiana over a franchise like minnesota with arguably a better young core, nobody here would be complaining.

These guys are basketball players, not machines. They do have personal preferences. They can care about winning games and still not choose their next team by who has better young players.

On the other hand, there are also guys like Durant and possibly dwight howard, who value loyalty. Again, NBA players are human beings, too. They don't all think alike.

Very good post!!

ksuttonjr76
03-17-2012, 10:30 AM

I'm not arguing against his personal preference. I'm arguing against your notion that Dallas is a "no-brainer" destination over Indiana for Deron Williams, because they have Dirk and they MIGHT get Howard.

If Deron wants to win now and contend, Indiana is the better destination over Dallas unless Cuban pulls off some blockbuster move this summer. As for Gordon, he fills a need for Minnesota and Indiana, so he could be the difference maker for either team (if healthy).

bulldog
03-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Dallas is a much, much more attractive situation than Indiana. Sorry. Cuban has shown a willingness to spend, and they have the opportunity to land Deron and another big FA like Dwight in 2013.

Honestly, I would love to see a Dirk-Deron-Dwight team in Dallas for a year or two. I think Dirk is just made to transition into that role, he'd be a perfect third star at that point in his career. Unlike Miami's big three, this big three would really complement each other's skills.

Kstat
03-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm not arguing against his personal preference. I'm arguing against your notion that Dallas is a "no-brainer" destination over Indiana for Deron Williams, because they have Dirk and they MIGHT get Howard.

If Deron wants to win now and contend, Indiana is the better destination over Dallas unless Cuban pulls off some blockbuster move this summer. As for Gordon, he fills a need for Minnesota and Indiana, so he could be the difference maker for either team (if healthy).

ok, first off, I never said Dallas was a "no-brainer" destination purely from a basketball standpoint. I said they are the heavy favorites overall, and I stand by that.

Secondly, even with Deron Williams, Indiana is probably not a championship contender next year, even with Deron Williams. You could make a case behind it, but it's not a no-brainer either.

It feels like the whole point of this exercise is to point out that Indiana has better young players than Dallas. That's obvious. They had better young talent than Dallas last season too, and Dallas won the NBA championship. I'm not sure that helps your "win-now" argument as you think it does.

If the Pacers signed Steve Nash this summer, he'd be the best player on the team the second the stepped on the floor at age 38. There's a chance he could still be the best player on the team at age 40. That's not to say Indiana doesn't have good players, but age isn't everything.

CableKC
03-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I still think Steve Nash would actually be a better fit in Indiana, at least for 2 years. Not only does it allow you to re-set the timer on Darren Collison, but Nash would make George and Hibbert better, as well as resurrect Granger's lost shooting touch. Nash would also be significantly cheaper/.

Don't get me wrong, obviously Deron Williams is the prize of the summer, but Nash has a better chance of improving everyone else on whatever team he plays for.
If we can get Nash and allow us to push DC into the 2nd unit running the point...I'd be fine with that. At this point, I'd take any Top Tier PG that can run the Starting point over DC.

I was always concerned that Nash would join D'Antoni and Amare in MSG....but with D'Antoni gone....I'd hope that Nash would consider playing in Indy. Bill Duffy is the Primary Agent for Foster and the Secondary Agent for DC....maybe they can help steer Nash to the Pacers :pray:

mildlysane
03-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Add in the fact that Texas, like Florida, doesn't have a state income tax and it is a no-brainer.

ksuttonjr76
03-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Dallas is a much, much more attractive situation than Indiana. Sorry. Cuban has shown a willingness to spend, and they have the opportunity to land Deron and another big FA like Dwight in 2013.

Honestly, I would love to see a Dirk-Deron-Dwight team in Dallas for a year or two. I think Dirk is just made to transition into that role, he'd be a perfect third star at that point in his career. Unlike Miami's big three, this big three would really complement each other's skills.

And if they don't get Dwight Howard, where would that leave Deron Williams?

Pacer Fan
03-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Dallas Mavericks Roster (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2012.html)

Jason Kidd - 38
Vince Carter - 35
Jason Terry - 34
Dirk Nowitzki - 33
Shawn Marion - 33
Lamar Odom - 32
Brendan Haywoode - 32

Delonte West 28
Ian Mahinmi 25
Sean Williams 25
Brandan Wright 24
Yi Jianlian 24
Rodrigue Beaubois 23
Dominique Jones 23

Garbage.

If Deron wants to win, long-term, we're a much better option than Dallas.

Dallas is setting in the position they want to be in since the new CBA. Dallas is revamping the team this summer. Only Dirk, Haywoode and Marion have contract for the Vets. Only Beaubois and Jones are on cheap rookie contracts.

It has been known that Mark has big FA plans this summer. Dallas will get anyone that is available that they choose to get. DWill will go to Dallas if Mark wants him.

Jason Kidd - 38 Gone
Vince Carter - 35 Gone
Jason Terry - 34 Gone
Dirk Nowitzki - 33
Shawn Marion - 33 Will be traded if desired
Lamar Odom - 32 Gone
Brendan Haywoode - 32 reasonable contract, will be traded if desired

Delonte West 28 Gone
Ian Mahinmi 25 Gone
Sean Williams 25 Gone
Brandan Wright 24 Gone
Yi Jianlian 24 Gone
Rodrigue Beaubois 23 Cheap Rookie contract
Dominique Jones 23 Cheap rookie contract

Kstat
03-17-2012, 11:54 AM
...happy playing at home with dirk nowitzki and a ton of cap space to throw at the next big star?

spreedom
03-17-2012, 12:15 PM
And if they don't get Dwight Howard, where would that leave Deron Williams?

Leaves the Mavericks with $20M in cap space and an owner who is fiercely driven to win. They'll be contenders, with or without adding Dwight.

ksuttonjr76
03-17-2012, 12:40 PM
...happy playing at home with dirk nowitzki and a ton of cap space to throw at the next big star?

To each their own....

PGisthefuture
03-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Dallas is setting in the position they want to be in since the new CBA. Dallas is revamping the team this summer. Only Dirk, Haywoode and Marion have contract for the Vets. Only Beaubois and Jones are on cheap rookie contracts.

It has been known that Mark has big FA plans this summer. Dallas will get anyone that is available that they choose to get. DWill will go to Dallas if Mark wants him.

Jason Kidd - 38 Gone
Vince Carter - 35 Gone
Jason Terry - 34 Gone
Dirk Nowitzki - 33
Shawn Marion - 33 Will be traded if desired
Lamar Odom - 32 Gone
Brendan Haywoode - 32 reasonable contract, will be traded if desired

Delonte West 28 Gone
Ian Mahinmi 25 Gone
Sean Williams 25 Gone
Brandan Wright 24 Gone
Yi Jianlian 24 Gone
Rodrigue Beaubois 23 Cheap Rookie contract
Dominique Jones 23 Cheap rookie contract

I think Shawn Marion, Jason Terry, and Mahinmi will stay there. Maybe even Vince Carter.

TheDavisBrothers
03-17-2012, 04:18 PM
I'll sum this up very simply, there is a tiny chance he chooses us. Not zero chance or a good chance, but a tiny chance...

troyc11a
03-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Is it my imagination or are the people on here acting like Dallas is the only team that will have cap space? Exactly how many superstars has Cuban convinced Dallas is the right place?
Dirk was drafted and Kidd was traded after his prime. Again, I am asking about "superstars" not just good players. I recognize the fact I could be overlooking someone but I wouldnt bet on it.

TheDavisBrothers
03-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Is it my imagination or are the people on here acting like Dallas is the only team that will have cap space? Exactly how many superstars has Cuban convinced Dallas is the right place?
Dirk was drafted and Kidd was traded after his prime. Again, I am asking about "superstars" not just good players. I recognize the fact I could be overlooking someone but I wouldnt bet on it.

Very simply, it's his home town. What part of HOME TOWN don't people understand? A big reason why people think he'll go there is the same reason why people think EJ will come here. I know if I was a player, I'd be very interested in playing close to home, wouldn't you?

troyc11a
03-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Very simply, it's his home town. What part of HOME TOWN don't people understand? A big reason why people think he'll go there is the same reason why people think EJ will come here. I know if I was a player, I'd be very interested in playing close to home, wouldn't you?

I find the home town talk kind of humorous. Most players could care less about playing in their home town or state. 99.9% of the people that matters to are the fans. The players pretty much care about getting paid. I am going to guess that Williams could care less.

The last thing a star needs is to go home and have all the hanger-ons bugging him along with all the 3rd cousins next door neighbors boyfriend wanting tickets and other favors. Moving home has got to be a headache more than anything.

TheDavisBrothers
03-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I find the home town talk kind of humorous. Most players could care less about playing in their home town or state. 99.9% of the people that matters to are the fans. The players pretty much care about getting paid. I am going to guess that Williams could care less.

The last thing a star needs is to go home and have all the hanger-ons bugging him along with all the 3rd cousins next door neighbors boyfriend wanting tickets and other favors. Moving home has got to be a headache more than anything.

For some that's true, but it most definitely does not apply to all. Odviously players want to get paid, but that has nothing to do with this discussion, because he's gonna get payed the max wherever he goes. So if money is not a factor (and its not), then the next factor would be where is he most comfortable, and if you read the quote posted earlier in this thread, then you'd understand that it's probably Dallas.

Pacer Fan
03-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I think Shawn Marion, Jason Terry, and Mahinmi will stay there. Maybe even Vince Carter.

Yes, they very well could be back. I just put it up as GONE as in they wont be under contract. Just a quick way of showing the flexibility that Mark has this coming FA. Sorry for any confusion. ;)

troyc11a
03-17-2012, 05:35 PM
For some that's true, but it most definitely does not apply to all. Odviously players want to get paid, but that has nothing to do with this discussion, because he's gonna get payed the max wherever he goes. So if money is not a factor (and its not), then the next factor would be where is he most comfortable, and if you read the quote posted earlier in this thread, then you'd understand that it's probably Dallas.

I am not saying Dallas is not an option or a even the favorite. I am just pointing out that it is not a done deal. Most athletes move away from their home town to avoid distractions not move back to them. Lebron moved away from Cleveland, Peyton never lived in Louisiana, Bird came back AFTER his playing days. But I do understand that Dallas is not Terre Haute or Cleveland (Akron).
Besides, I dont want to argue with a dude who has a DD avatar!!!!!

TheDavisBrothers
03-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I am not saying Dallas is not an option or a even the favorite. I am just pointing out that it is not a done deal. Most athletes move away from their home town to avoid distractions not move back to them. Lebron moved away from Cleveland, Peyton never lived in Louisiana, Bird came back AFTER his playing days. But I do understand that Dallas is not Terre Haute or Cleveland (Akron).
Besides, I dont want to argue with a dude who has a DD avatar!!!!!

I agree it's not a done deal, but at the same time, the chances of him signing here is a lot smaller then the chances of him signing in Dallas...
I think we're pretty much on the same page, just arguing from different sides of the same point.
Dale Davis is the man, but my personal fav is the other Davis, Antonio. I will probably change to a pic of Antonio soon...

troyc11a
03-17-2012, 05:42 PM
I agree it's not a done deal, but at the same time, the chances of him signing here is a lot smaller then the chances of him signing in Dallas...

If he wants to win Indiana should be right there. Unless a superstar goes with Williams, he would be in a better position here because this team is already better than Dallas (with Williams on either).

TheDavisBrothers
03-17-2012, 05:50 PM
If he wants to win Indiana should be right there. Unless a superstar goes with Williams, he would be in a better position here because this team is already better than Dallas (with Williams on either).

I think the biggest thing is, how serious is Dwight about joining Deron in Dallas in 2013?

mattie
03-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Indiana has 14 million in total guaranteed contracts in 2013. If Deron came here, believe it or not, the Pacers would have more cap space to sign Dwight Howard than Dallas.

If Deron's goal was to go to a team that had cap space in 13 to sign Dwight. Indiana would have plenty.

To be clear- I don't think that's going to happen. But also think it's ridiculous to say Deron Williams plans on going somewhere with the soul goal of teaming up with Dwight. He even said is much the other day. Would he like to? Sure. But he's going to do what he needs to do. And this summer? Indiana is going to look like an extremely attractive destination.

TheDavisBrothers
03-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Indiana has 14 million in total guaranteed contracts in 2013. If Deron came here, believe it or not, the Pacers would have more cap space to sign Dwight Howard than Dallas.

If Deron's goal was to go to a team that had cap space in 13 to sign Dwight. Indiana would have plenty.

To be clear- I don't think that's going to happen. But also think it's ridiculous to say Deron Williams plans on going somewhere with the soul goal of teaming up with Dwight. He even said is much the other day. Would he like to? Sure. But he's going to do what he needs to do. And this summer? Indiana is going to look like an extremely attractive destination.

If this comment is directed toward me then you odviously need to read my other posts, because odviously teaming up with Dwight is not the soul reason... Also, while I could see Deron going to the a small market team, there is no way I see Dwight going to a small market team like us.

mattie
03-17-2012, 06:30 PM
If this comment is directed toward me them you odviously need to read my other posts, because odviously teaming up with Dwight is not the soul reason... Also, while I could see Deron going to the a small market team, there is no way I see Dwight going to a small market team like us.

No. I wasn't.

With that said, given the cap space Dwight would want to team up with Deron, no matter where he goes. So if the Pacers had the cap space, Dwight would sign here without thinking twice.

However, I don't think Bird would do a very possible salary dump in order to ensure we had cap space in 2013. I think Bird would guarantee we kept all our current talent and were in good position to compete for a championship in 12/13.

pezasied182
03-17-2012, 08:20 PM
If Deron Williams bases his choice off of basketball reasons only, I could see him considering signing with the Pacers. However, he won't base his decision solely off of that, so I doubt Indiana will get any real consideration. Indiana isn't exactly much more attractive than Salt Lake is to basketball players imo.

PacersHomer
03-17-2012, 11:42 PM
I'll take Steve Nash. Cheaper and is exactly what this offense needs. He'd kill it with the Pacers. I don't care how old he is when he is still playing great. That's all that matters right now.