PDA

View Full Version : Oden wants to play...Interested in Pacers

RichardHawes
03-16-2012, 03:30 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219852/Oden_Wants_To_Play_Again_Interested_In_Pacers

Greg Oden is committed to playing basketball again, his agent Mike Conley Sr. confirmed. Oden was waived by the Blazers on Thursday.

Oden recently underwent his third microfracture knee surgery and his second on his left knee.

Oden briefly considered retirement, but is focused on rehabbing in Indianapolis.

Conley says Oden has expressed interest in playing for the Pacers when he recovers.

Via AP

----Interesting

BringJackBack
03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Damn....

Aw Heck
03-16-2012, 03:35 PM
If he was willing to sign a 1-year contract for next to nothing, I'd love for the Pacers to sign him.

sportfireman
03-16-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm in... Just not for too much money.

PacerPenguins
03-16-2012, 03:39 PM
he'd be a great backup if he every gets healthy

duke dynamite
03-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Pennies on the dollar.

Pacers4Life
03-16-2012, 03:42 PM
I'd go dimes and nickels on said dollar

Unclebuck
03-16-2012, 03:44 PM
No. Why waste our time and money, even if it is a small amount of money. I would rather spend the money and time on someone who might be able to play in the NBA someday

Hailey12
03-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Met some of you guys the other night a Kilroys. I may have to wear this Shirt I picked up at goodwill until he signs with us!http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/423537_998483878414_27306607_40264394_600747331_n. jpg

Doddage
03-16-2012, 03:47 PM
We should do it. 2 year deal, with a team option on the 2nd year.

RWB
03-16-2012, 03:50 PM
No. Why waste our time and money, even if it is a small amount of money.

Others have already posted this but Oden's signing would be a nice PR gamble. Name recognition alone for those who only follow high school and college ball could be good for getting in the casuals because of the buzz.

beast23
03-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Is there a way that he can be obligated to the Pacers without consuming a roster spot? If so, that is the way to go. That way, the Pacers help him in his recovery and if he does well, he eventually scores some kind of contract with the Pacers.

If that is not possible, then signing him to the NBA minimum for a year or on a year-by-year basis until it is known one way or another whether he will ever play again would make sense, unless we need the roster spot for someone else. If Oden ever played again and was even 25% of what he once was defensively and on the boards, then he would be a very good option off the bench.

But, I do think his chances are remote.

sportfireman
03-16-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm in... Just not for too much money.

Pacer Fan
03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
When he recovers and can scrimmage with the team, gotta give him a chance. Just make the contract a cheap non-guaranteed. He should be ready this late summer.

Strummer
03-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I'd wait until he gets healthy and then offer him a non-guaranteed contract for the league minimum. Maybe add some incentives based on production if you can do that in the NBA. I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign him now.

And he'd have to be happy being the 3rd center. Because you can't count on him to be any more than that until he proves he can stay healthy.

CJ Jones
03-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Obviously he'd come cheap. I don't think anyone needs to worry about that.

Interesting to think about if he can get healthy. He'd fit right in with the teams overall personality. I met him at the Mousetrap (:laugh:) when he was 19ish and home for spring break. Seemed like a laid back and humble dude.

BillS
03-16-2012, 04:01 PM
If he passes a tryout I'd certainly take a minimum flyer on him. How do you lose? Good local publicity without a major commitment.

sportfireman
03-16-2012, 04:02 PM
No. Why waste our time and money, even if it is a small amount of money. I would rather spend the money and time on someone who might be able to play in the NBA someday

We have an open roster spot and unless someone comes along we will probably have an open spot next season. So as far as roster spots we're good. The positives out weigh the negatives significantly... IMO. If he pans out great, if not oh well.

RichardHawes
03-16-2012, 04:05 PM
We have an open roster spot and unless someone comes along we will probably have an open spot next season. So as far as roster spots we're good. The positives out weigh the negatives significantly... IMO. If he pans out great, if not oh well.

I thought I read that teams were dropping to 13 guys after this season? Maybe im wrong...That sure happens alot

jeffg-body
03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
I think it would be a low risk and possibly high reward signing for next year.

Peck
03-16-2012, 04:10 PM
If he passes a tryout I'd certainly take a minimum flyer on him. How do you lose? Good local publicity without a major commitment.

This.

As long as he and his agent aren't going to demand a long term guaranteed comitment then sure.

If he could ever be healthy enough to be a solid 15-20 min. a game backup to Roy that would be the best center duo in the NBA.

But the question is, would he be willing to do that for a season or two. He's got to know that nobody in their right mind is going to give him a long term guaranteed contract.

Major Cold
03-16-2012, 04:10 PM

We have one spot open. Which our draft pick will take.

Roy
Hill
Foster
AJ
Lou
Lance

Could all be subtracted, so we might have room.

If we match and sign GH and Roy we have 11 with the draft pick. So we will sign a Lou type player defiantly. 12 players. Lance will not be cut, 13.

Oden signs and we have 1 spot open. It is not a no brainer. But if we are willing to sign Jeff knowing he was going to miss big minutes why not sign Oden and fill out the roster?

Unclebuck
03-16-2012, 04:11 PM

I guess I think he has a 0% chance of panning out, of ever being able to play again. So I'd rather use the roster spot on someone who might be able to play. It is sad what has happended to him, but it has.

IMO.

LetsTalkPacers
03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
How about we invite him to training camp this summer, and go from there.

naptownmenace
03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
I guess I think he has a 0% chance of panning out, of ever being able to play again. So I'd rather use the roster spot on someone who might be able to play. It is sad what has happended to him, but it has.

IMO.
Look beyond the basketball court for a minute, UB. We could hook him up with whoever Foster gets his suits from and he could be our hometown hype man. Send him out to do community events, media talk shows, commercials, and interviews. Just look at it as a media endorsement deal. They'd also be doing him a great favor at this point.

Even if he never played a single minute for the Pacers, the Pacers would grab a lot of media attention and benefit from signing him. If he can get healthy (I doubt it ever happens), the Pacers get even more media attention and they benefit from his play.

graphic-er
03-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Seriously, Bird would be an idiot not to offer him a cheap deal laced with incentivee. It could be that Portland just has terrible training staff. Pacers now have one of the best in the league. He would be a perfect back up at the 5. 10-15 minutes a game. Grabbing Rebounds Blocking shots.

You telling me that using the 15th spot on a former #1 pick for a minimum deal isn't a good pick up for the Pacers? You Crazy.... If after the summer he can play, the Pacers would be instantly better by this.

ejwallace
03-16-2012, 04:32 PM
While we're at it, I hear Brandon Roy wants to play again too.....Why not sign him as well....

Don't most players go to the D-League to rehab anyway??

graphic-er
03-16-2012, 04:36 PM
This.

As long as he and his agent aren't going to demand a long term guaranteed comitment then sure.

If he could ever be healthy enough to be a solid 15-20 min. a game backup to Roy that would be the best center duo in the NBA.

But the question is, would he be willing to do that for a season or two. He's got to know that nobody in their right mind is going to give him a long term guaranteed contract.

The best thing we could do is lock him up in a 3 year deal with a TO on years 2 and 3. If Oden ever gets to the point where he could pass a work out and make a training camp, multiple teams would be bidding for his services. It would be his agents duty to spread the word, so better to jump on board before anyone else can and show him some Indiana Loyalty.

Ratking
03-16-2012, 04:37 PM
I'd def give him an offer. Adding him to 2k roster for sure, where he can actually play.

BillS
03-16-2012, 04:37 PM
While we're at it, I hear Brandon Roy wants to play again too.....Why not sign him as well....

Don't most players go to the D-League to rehab anyway??

So sign him and send him there.

This is extremely cheap for filling seats, to the point where it almost doesn't matter exactly HOW many seats you fill directly, the indirect benefit is huge.

RWB
03-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Being a 6 year vet next year that would put him a little over 1 million on the minimum.

graphic-er
03-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Being a 6 year vet next year that would put him a little over 1 million on the minimum.

That would be about right, because he is basically getting paid to rehab.

Additionally, he could retire and the Pacers could hire him as an employee for any position they dream up. Then just have him rehab. Once he is good to do, the Pacers offer him a contract.

Brad8888
03-16-2012, 05:00 PM
I would rather sign Ann Meyers Drysdale to a contract. Oh, wait. We already did that.

90'sNBARocked
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM

tisk tisk mr negative :)

You nor I are a doctor

He could make a full recovery (albeit, doesnt look great now) They thought TMac, Grant Hill, Amare, etc were done to. I would love to bring Oden in on an incentive ladden contract

Shade
03-16-2012, 05:05 PM
For the right price, why not?

Low risk, high reward.

wintermute
03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Well it's always nice to hear of players wanting to play for the Pacers, but a lot of you seem to be jumping the gun... Oden just had microfracture surgery last month, and is expected to be out a year. That's right, the earliest he can probably think of playing again is Feb 2013. Link:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2012/2/20/2813059/transcript-blazers-acting-gm-chad-buchanan-addresses-greg-odens

So, no one's signing him any time soon. He'll rehab on his own, but if he needs access to facilities or trainers I'm sure the Pacers would oblige.

Brad8888
03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
For the right price, why not?

Low risk, high reward.

Maybe we could hire him as a big man medical consultant. That way we could gain from whatever further education he chooses to get while following in his father's footsteps as a doctor. Also we might have a shot at enticing the best NBA player ever to come out of Lawrence North to come here and lead the Pacers as the closest thing they might ever get to a true point guard.

xBulletproof
03-16-2012, 05:27 PM
You wait until he is healthy and sign him to a minimum deal to be the 15th man. If he can play, awesome you got a cheap backup with impact potential.

If he doesn't work out? Well guess how important the 15th man is? Its so damn important we don't even have one. :laugh:

Merz
03-16-2012, 05:28 PM
I thought I read that teams were dropping to 13 guys after this season? Maybe im wrong...That sure happens alot

My understanding is that active rosters go from 12 to 13, not complete rosters going from 15 to 13.

Heisenberg
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
I'd do it for a year at the minimum just for the buzz it'd create, ain't my money.

But him inevitably having another serious injury will be awful to watch.

Shade
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Maybe we could hire him as a big man medical consultant. That way we could gain from whatever further education he chooses to get while following in his father's footsteps as a doctor. Also we might have a shot at enticing the best NBA player ever to come out of Lawrence North to come here and lead the Pacers as the closest thing they might ever get to a true point guard.

Eric Montross can play the point? :-p

PR07
03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
If it's for the minimum, why not?

clownskull
03-16-2012, 05:43 PM
like others have said- if he is willing to take a small non guaranteed for around the min- i would not object. but it has to be very small and not more than a year or 2 tops.
foster is done after this year and i figure oden would play as much as feisty has this year (maybe more)

i doubt oden ever manages to shake off the injuries but, for a very small deal- I'd consider it.

Sandman21
03-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Absolutely for the minimum. Even if he isn't able to play again, you could have him out in the community raising awareness of the team.

Brad8888
03-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Eric Montross can play the point? :-p

Can he shoot the 3, Jimbo? :angel:

shags
03-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Well it's always nice to hear of players wanting to play for the Pacers, but a lot of you seem to be jumping the gun... Oden just had microfracture surgery last month, and is expected to be out a year. That's right, the earliest he can probably think of playing again is Feb 2013. Link:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2012/2/20/2813059/transcript-blazers-acting-gm-chad-buchanan-addresses-greg-odens

So, no one's signing him any time soon. He'll rehab on his own, but if he needs access to facilities or trainers I'm sure the Pacers would oblige.

This is the best post in this thread. I don't think Oden will sign with anyone until the 2013-2014 season, and I'll be absolutely shocked if he signs with anyone this year.

croz24
03-16-2012, 08:41 PM
This would be a chance we'd have to take and one of the few ways we'll ever get a true impact player on this team to contend for a title. Not sure anybody knew this or not, but the Pacers have 0 NBA Titles...

Lance George
03-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Oft-injured Greg Oden committed to playing again - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7696992/oft-injured-greg-oden-committed-playing-again)

INDIANAPOLIS -- Greg Oden (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3225/greg-oden) shares the fans' disappointment in the way his career has gone.

The 7-foot center was limited to just 82 games by injuries after the Portland Trail Blazers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=por) took him over Kevin Durant (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3202/kevin-durant) with the first selection in the 2007 draft. Portland waived the former No. 1 overall pick Thursday after an injury-plagued five-year run in which he averaged just 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots. He recently underwent his third microfracture knee surgery, the second on his left knee, ending his season.

"He feels bad for Portland and the team, more than anything, more than he did for himself," Oden's agent, Mike Conley Sr., said Friday. "He felt he could have made an impact, and he knows they were counting on him."

Oden's knee problems have drawn comparisons to Sam Bowie (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3647/sam-bowie), the injury-plagued post the Blazers took ahead of Michael Jordan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1035/michael-jordan) in 1984. Bowie played in 76 games as a rookie but appeared in just 63 games over the next four seasons because of injuries. In all, he had five operations. That history has made Oden's situation a particularly sore topic for the Trail Blazers, who also have had to deal with Brandon Roy (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3027/brandon-roy)'s premature retirement due to injury.

"It is kind of closing the chapter on Greg Oden," Blazers interim general manager Chad Buchanan said. "Between Brandon Roy, Greg Oden and LaMarcus Aldridge (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge), we had kind of built the team around those three. We've lost Brandon to retirement, and we've lost Greg to injury -- and we have nothing to show for it. We don't have an asset, we don't have a draft pick, we don't have a player. And that's hard to come back from."

Oden isn't quite ready to give up yet. Conley says his client is recovering in his hometown of Indianapolis. Oden has been on crutches since the Feb. 20 procedure and is expected to remain on them for another five weeks.

He said Oden briefly contemplated ending his career.

"That at some point could become a reality, and you have no control over it, so you have to think about it," Conley said. "He's one of the strongest willed guys I know. He's come back from every injury he's had 100 percent before another one happened. It took a lot of focus and dedication to come back from these injuries, and he'll come back from this one. I have no doubt about that."

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of Oden's latest injury is that all seemed well.

He thought he might be able to play this season, but a checkup before the start of training camp in December reportedly revealed concerns about a non-weight-bearing ligament in the left knee. He was undergoing a minor procedure last month to clear out debris in his left knee when the surgeon said there was additional damage that required microfracture surgery. Oden had been jumping and starting to feel close to normal before the latest setback.

"It's very difficult for him," Conley said. "I think he's in a better place now than he was when he first learned about this new injury."

Conley said Oden is contemplating a return to school during rehab -- he played one college season at Ohio State. He shouldn't have too much trouble finding employment if he recovers. Several teams showed interest in him in March, despite knowing he wouldn't be immediately available.

"Now that he finally has the ability to take over his rehab himself, he's just going to focus on getting through the surgery and doing the things to try to avoid the things happening in the future," Conley said. "When he's healthy and he's back doing the things he knows he can do on the floor, then we'll look at NBA options and teams at that point."

Oden will be an unrestricted free agent if he clears waivers on Saturday. Conley said he fielded at least one call from a team during the waiver period.

Conley said Oden has expressed interest in playing for the hometown Pacers after he recovers.

"I know Greg would love to play in Indy," Conley said. "I know that's something he'd definitely be interested in. But in my conversations with Greg, we're not even thinking or talking about basketball right now."

Pacerized
03-16-2012, 10:15 PM
I'd give Oden a shot if he can get to the point of passing a physical and tryout. I know the odds are against him getting to that point but if he does why not? I trust Larry not to offer him some stupid long term contract. If Oden ever gets to that point, he'd be a better gamble then some 3rd. rate big man from the D league. Low risk $ wise, high reward if it worked out.

BlueNGold
03-16-2012, 10:43 PM
I think he has small chance of recovering, but he's only 24 years old. I would try to fit him on the bench for a couple years and cut him in the event we really need the spot. If he somehow recovers over the next couple years, we just won the lottery. Even if he's 80% the player he would have been, he will be one of the better centers in the league. Pipe dream I know, but it's better than having nobody in the #15 spot. Not my money of course.

Hoop
03-16-2012, 11:03 PM
If Oden had both his knees replaced with artificial ones, he couldn't be much worse than Roy's been lately.

Yes, I'm exaggerating, Roy is that frustrating.

Dr. Hibbert
03-16-2012, 11:10 PM
He can't be any less available than Jeff Foster, whose absences most Pacers fans spend every second excusing.

03-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I up for some false hope!

Steagles
03-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Minimal contract, no downgrade from our current situation, just young Jeff part 2, great hometown kid. PR, decent backup center option if healthy. It's a win win on a very small risk

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Really?
03-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I just hope the guy gets back healthy again...

Peck
03-17-2012, 12:43 PM
This was just tweeted by Sam Amico

Sam Amico ‏ @SamAmicoFSO
Greg Oden wants to sign with the Pacers. No indications yet if the feelings are mutual.

FYI Amico is the NBA writer for fox sports Ohio.

Dgreenwell3
03-17-2012, 12:51 PM
When will he be back?

Kstat
03-17-2012, 12:52 PM
What could it possibly hurt (besides Oden's knees)?

Kstat
03-17-2012, 12:52 PM
When will he be back?

Sometime next fall.

Dgreenwell3
03-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Sometime next fall.

I could live with that...Hibbs and Oden is a solid center rotation...makes Tyler moveable at the draft, maybe package him to get an upgrade somewhere.

idioteque
03-17-2012, 01:59 PM
If he replaces whoever our 12th man is, why not give it a shot? Not like Pendergraph ever plays anyway.

PaulGeorge
03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Thought about this the moment I saw he was released. This should be his last try at it but, we can def play him limited minutes. Very much worth the contract we would give him.

CJ Jones
03-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Anyone know why all of sudden he want's to play for the Pacers?

I guess he thinks we'd be one of the few teams with interest since he's from here, but I don't know.

If he's cleared to play, we need to jump all over this.

Nuntius
03-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Anyone know why all of sudden he want's to play for the Pacers?

I guess he thinks we'd be one of the few teams with interest since he's from here, but I don't know.

If he's cleared to play, we need to jump all over this.

It's much easier to rehabilitate in your home town. You have your family and friends there. Rehabilitation takes a lot of mental and psychological strength. Your loved ones are capable of helping you in this.

Jose Slaughter
03-17-2012, 05:50 PM
With just 23 games left after tonight, if we sign Oden for a million I think that would be pro-rated to less than 349K. Plus we would be able to retain his rights for next season.

If he looks like he could recover, we own his rights & can sign him for the season(s) then.

CableKC
03-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Id rather have Turiaf. What good is he if he can't even play?

Is he even medically cleared to play?

Nuntius
03-17-2012, 05:53 PM
With just 23 games left after tonight, if we sign Oden for a million I think that would be pro-rated to less than 349K. Plus we would be able to retain his rights for next season.

If he looks like he could recover, we own his rights & can sign him for the season(s) then.

If that's true then we would be fools not to try this out.

BrownBearCoffee
03-17-2012, 06:04 PM
If Oden could ever get healthy--key word here is "ever"--he is a franchise quality center. I think that hypothetical alone is reason enough to try this for cheap, if possible. At the very least, like many of you have stated, this is a fantastic PR move.

IndyJones
03-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Whats the worse that happens? He takes Pendergraphs minutes which are nonexistance?

TheDavisBrothers
03-17-2012, 06:18 PM

I don't really see a point in signing him this year, next year sure I'm all for it, but it's not like he's going anywhere this year...

It's not like we need a leg up on signing him, we already have that by being his home town

RichardHawes
03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
It's much easier to rehabilitate in your home town. You have your family and friends there. Rehabilitation takes a lot of mental and psychological strength. Your loved ones are capable of helping you in this.

This is seriously the smartest response ive read on here in a long time...Bravo for looking at the bigger picture ...In all honesty alot of us here are being very cynical...Its obvious the kid has a huge heart and wants to play as bad now as he did the day he was drafted...With the right support and less negativity we seriously have nothing to lose in this situation and the feel good story the day he dunks that basketball will bring a tear to all our eyes

DrFife
03-18-2012, 12:41 PM
... and the feel good story the day he dunks that basketball with authority and it ricochets off of Joakim Noah's forehead will bring a tear to all our eyes :D

Downtown Bang!
03-18-2012, 01:20 PM
"For the right price" is a given but would be a good low risk high reward kind of wager.

Former Trailblazer. Former #1 Pick. Anybody remember the impact a moderately healthy (and much older) Bill Walton had playing 15-20 minutes a game on the mid-eighties Celtics?

Bball
03-18-2012, 01:26 PM
When will he be back?

Let's be realistic.... the answer is most likely 'never'.

The problem with the Oden risk is not only is there the question of how much do you spend on the risk that he can ever play again... but if he does play what is his ceiling at this point? And it's not only the rebuilt knees, it's his injury history and injury prone tag he carries. Has ANY player came back from this type of history?

So you have to build the team with the idea he won't play, even though you are using some cap space and a roster spot on him. You still need to pursue the same players you'd pursue even if you didn't have Oden.

You absolutely cannot continue to make the Foster mistake again, even if you can afford it financially, and gamble that he'll be able to play enough that you can be comfortable with your frontcourt situation as-is (or at best pick up a scrub as the disaster backup). IOW, Oden should BE the disaster backup in any scenario.

Personally, I think the odds of him being even a shell of his former self, let alone the injury prone nature of his career, make the risk so large that it isn't worth it.

I just think it's going to limit the pool of FA's that would consider Indiana if they know there's a 'chance' that Oden could replace them IF he could make it back to the floor (and I'm not talking big time FA's... I'm talking ANY FA's). And existing players would be caught up in conflicting thoughts as well... "Is their position safe? Would they rather give Oden a chance versus some other teammate?"....

BlueNGold
03-18-2012, 01:29 PM
"For the right price" is a given but would be a good low risk high reward kind of wager.

Former Trailblazer. Former #1 Pick. Anybody remember the impact a moderately healthy (and much older) Bill Walton had playing 15-20 minutes a game on the mid-eighties Celtics?

I would like to see him here in Indy if there's even a remote chance he will get healthy. But I must say that Walton is not a good comparison. Bill had good size and anticipation, but his game was mental. Oden's is almost entirely physical.

Downtown Bang!
03-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I would like to see him here in Indy if there's even a remote chance he will get healthy. But I must say that Walton is not a good comparison. Bill had good size and anticipation, but his game was mental. Oden's is almost entirely physical.

Walton was no slouch athletically. Before the injuries he played big areas of the floor on defense and that allowed guys like Bobby Gross, Dave Twardzik & Lionel Hollins to play very aggressive man-to-man defense on the perimeter. I also don't recall many 6' 11" guys who ran the floor in transition as well as Walton did pre-injury either.

No doubt Oden would need to make adjustments but I suspect people underestimate his basketball IQ just like they underestimated Walton's athleticism.

BlueNGold
03-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Walton was no slouch athletically. Before the injuries he played big areas of the floor on defense and that allowed guys like Bobby Gross, Dave Twardzik & Lionel Hollins to play very aggressive man-to-man defense on the perimeter. I also don't recall many 6' 11" guys who ran the floor in transition as well as Walton did pre-injury either.

No doubt Oden would need to make adjustments but I suspect people underestimate his basketball IQ just like they underestimated Walton's athleticism.

I suppose Walton was fairly athletic pre-injury. I think my point wasn't his game pre-injury though. My point is that Greg Oden hasn't shown he has many offensive skills. Walton was brilliant. Oden is dominating because he's a 7 foot Dwight Howard. Dwight is another player who gets by on his physical attributes. If he had offensive skills, with his ability to rise above any defender or go by them, he would be averaging 35ppg. Walton with Dwight's body would probably average 40+ppg.

Edit: BTW, many wondered if Oden could score effectively at the NBA level because his offensive game was so rough. Walton had Bird level basketball skills. Big difference.

croz24
03-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I suppose Walton was fairly athletic pre-injury. I think my point wasn't his game pre-injury though. My point is that Greg Oden hasn't shown he has many offensive skills. Walton was brilliant. Oden is dominating because he's a 7 foot Dwight Howard. Dwight is another player who gets by on his physical attributes. If he had offensive skills, with his ability to rise above any defender or go by them, he would be averaging 35ppg. Walton with Dwight's body would probably average 40+ppg.

Edit: BTW, many wondered if Oden could score effectively at the NBA level because his offensive game was so rough. Walton had Bird level basketball skills. Big difference.

Oden very much has an offensive skill set. Not sure if you've seen much of him play at any level really (high school, college, or pro), but he has a much better offensive game than given credit for. Even at O$U, the man was playing with his left hand all season and yet still dominated teams, including a Florida team in the NCAA Title game that had Noah, Horford, and Speights.

BlueNGold
03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Oden very much has an offensive skill set. Not sure if you've seen much of him play at any level really (high school, college, or pro), but he has a much better offensive game than given credit for. Even at O$U, the man was playing with his left hand all season and yet still dominated teams, including a Florida team in the NCAA Title game that had Noah, Horford, and Speights.

I watched that game and many others when he was at OSU. He was incredibly impressive defensively and just so-so offensively. Our man Hibbert could score on him btw.

speakout4
03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
We have a guy who had the potential to be a superstar and is a bust because of his knees. He wants to play here so that is a plus; he has skills, a plus; he has height a plus; won't cost much, a plus; and may not be worse than Forster who hasn't played much the last few years. I can't see not taking this very low risk opportunity.

bphil
03-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Sign him to a series of 10 day contracts. Anything longer than that is probably unreasonable at this point unfortunately.

Feel bad for the big dood...

cinotimz
03-19-2012, 03:14 PM
The Pacers might as well sign Hicks or Able to a player contract. Theyve done more for Pacer fans and the organization than Oden ever has and theyre just as likely to ever take the floor and play a minute in a game as Oden is. Sadly, at this point Oden is just hoping to be able to walk again without some sort of cane or assistance. That would be a major success story in of itself. Play an NBA minute? He and his agent both know better. How many times do u try and do the same thing over again before u realize if u dont stop u will never be able to walk again? Sad. Very much so. But true. If they wanna offer him a community relations job or something as a charity type case, then so be it. But a player deal is just nonsense.

CableKC
03-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Can someone tell me if he is even medically cleared to play?

vnzla81
03-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Can someone tell me if he is even medically cleared to play?

Maybe in few months, at the moment the guy can't even walk without the help of some crutches.

Ace E.Anderson
03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
He's NEVER been able to stay healthy, why would be be healthy now all of a sudden? It's the Jonathan Bender thing all over again.

Oden needs to get his knees fixed so that he can make sure he'll be able to walk, and have a normal life. Then he needs to move on. He just can't take the physical abuse of professional sports.

From the Pacers point of view, it would be a waste of time, money, resources, as well as false hope.

I guess if he takes te place of Pendergraph at the end of the bench, it'd be worth the risk, but he would have to accept the league minimum and not a penny more. He hasn't done anyting to earn any more, and should be paid as such.

TheDavisBrothers
03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
He's NEVER been able to stay healthy, why would be be healthy now all of a sudden? It's the Jonathan Bender thing all over again.

Oden needs to get his knees fixed so that he can make sure he'll be able to walk, and have a normal life. Then he needs to move on. He just can't take the physical abuse of professional sports.

From the Pacers point of view, it would be a waste of time, money, resources, as well as false hope.

I guess if he takes te place of Pendergraph at the end of the bench, it'd be worth the risk, but he would have to accept the league minimum and not a penny more. He hasn't done anyting to earn any more, and should be paid as such.

It's not a waste of time and resources, because as you even said, the only thing we'd give is the minimum and a spot on the end of our bench. It's a PR move that will get interest and if he actually does play, it would be huge...

Hicks
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I'd like to hear more about me being offered a contract...

ECKrueger
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM

Neither has Gordon really.

I'd take Oden without thinking about it though. You pay him a little and hope he can play still.

CableKC
03-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Maybe in few months, at the moment the guy can't even walk without the help of some crutches.
Thanks. For now.... I only care about whether he can help the Team now for this season....if he can't even play...I could care less about him.

As for beyond this season....given the amount of $$$ that we have to spend on Free Agents in the offseason...I'd have to look at the other FA that are available to help fill the Frontcourt void behind Hibbert and West before saying that Oden is the guy to get.

He's a feel-good story and all and I wouldn't mind having him for cheap.....but I'm not relying on him for anything while looking for other Players to fill our needs. Let's be realistic about what our current short term and immediate needs are and how they can be filled.

cdash
03-19-2012, 10:19 PM
One or two years, vet's minimum, and I'm in. If nothing else, he will bring some attention to the team locally. It's low risk at that point. In the event that he was able to come back and play even half the season, that could be a great feel good story. I don't know if it will happen, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. I have a soft spot for Oden. He seems like such a genuinely nice guy I want him to succeed.

wintermute
03-20-2012, 06:31 AM

Not even a few months, as posted earlier he just had another microfracture surgery last month. Minimum is another year that he'll be out.

Wish the guy well, but his injury record isn't encouraging...

Steagles
03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't see why we couldn't get him next season on a small deal. It's not any different from Jeff (except the cheaper contract), plus we get good PR from him

Hibbert
03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
The Pacers might as well sign Hicks or Able to a player contract. Theyve done more for Pacer fans and the organization than Oden ever has and theyre just as likely to ever take the floor and play a minute in a game as Oden is. Sadly, at this point Oden is just hoping to be able to walk again without some sort of cane or assistance. That would be a major success story in of itself. Play an NBA minute? He and his agent both know better. How many times do u try and do the same thing over again before u realize if u dont stop u will never be able to walk again? Sad. Very much so. But true. If they wanna offer him a community relations job or something as a charity type case, then so be it. But a player deal is just nonsense.

No way in hell do I touch this guy if I'm running any NBA team. It's become a joke anymore and there's several people close to Greg who have come out and said he knew of his knees from his own doctors before the draft and that's why he didn't stay at Ohio St. It's crazy that Portland gave him that $8.8 M qualifying offer and I think that he milked that team and was waiting to see if some team out there would give him a long term contract knowing he needed another knee surgery.

Bball
03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I'd like to hear more about me being offered a contract...

You turned it down...

Lance George
03-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Neither has Gordon really.

I wonder how many people who oppose us having interest in a rehabilitated Greg Oden would be overjoyed with us signing Eric Gordon to the max?

cdash
03-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I wonder how many people who oppose us having interest in a rehabilitated Greg Oden would be overjoyed with us signing Eric Gordon to the max?

Their situations are not comparable. Oden has chronic knee issues and has had multiple microfracture surgeries. Gordon has had an assortment of random injuries. Nothing chronic, nothing as serious as a microfracture.