PDA

View Full Version : David Stern Really Screwed Up

naptownmenace
03-16-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm sure your response to the title is, "Again?", "What else is new!", or "Of course he did". However, this time he's really screwed a franchise when he was actually trying to help them.
If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm talking about David Stern's veto of the proposed 3-team Chris Paul trade before the start of the season.

I really think he was trying to do what was best for the Hornets future by getting Eric Gordon and 1st round picks as the feature pieces of that trade. Mark Spears summed up the utter failure of that trade best when he wrote the following:

The way it looks now, the Hornets will have traded their franchise point guard (Paul) for a player who’s leaving (Kaman), a guard who’s played only two games and also could leave in the summer (Eric Gordon), underachieving forward Al-Farouq Aminu and a 2012 first-round pick that might not end up in the lottery.

Imagine how different it would be if NBA commissioner David Stern hadn’t vetoed a trade that would have given the Hornets guard Kevin Martin, forward Luis Scola, forward Lamar Odom and guard Goran Dragic.

Goran Dragic, Kevin Martin, and Luis Scola would've at least left the Hornets competitive. They would've probably received a 1st round draft pick along with the trade as well. Instead, Kris Kaman and Eric Gordan will most likely leave at the end of the year or at the most, they'll have Eric Gordon for one more season before he becomes an unrestricted FA.

That trade with the Clippers made less sense than the Lakers trade at the time and it makes even less sense now that we've seen that EJ has been non-existant, Gorn Dargic has played up to his potential, and that the Hornets home games have less people in attendance than at most Butler home games.

They probably can't even buy out Kaman now because I'm sure a majority of the other 29 owners would vote against it so that he doesn't go and sign with the Heat, Knicks, Celts, or Lakers. Shoot the Lakers, Rockets, and Pacers owners might even vote against it just to spite Stern.

Stern painted himself into a corner this season. Unfortunately, he might've screwed and doomed an already failing NBA franchise in the process.

cgg
03-16-2012, 02:38 PM
"Competitive" meaning their own pick would not be good, but they'd still go no where. "Competitive" is not helpful in the NBA. Now they'll have a top pick, another pick, and they'll keep Gordon for as long as they want him, without having dead salary.

TheDavisBrothers
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
The whole point of the trade was to completely rebuild tho, not to stay average...

naptownmenace
03-16-2012, 02:48 PM
"Competitive" meaning their own pick would not be good, but they'd still go no where. "Competitive" is not helpful in the NBA. Now they'll have a top pick, another pick, and they'll keep Gordon for as long as they want him, without having dead salary.

You make a good point. I'd counter by saying that they would've had an easier time trading one of those Houston players before the deadline to get more picks. I also don't think that Kevin Martin, Scola, and Dragic are dead money. They're a good center and SF away from being a top 4 team like they were when they took the Lakers to the brink of elimination before Yao Ming broke his foot.

Even if it's not a great long term solution, you'd keep the fan base interested during the rebuilding process with players like that.

Since86
03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
The whole point of vetoing the first trade is was because it added salary. Stern WANTED expiring contracts, to get salary as low as possible, which makes the team easier to sell.

It's just simply amazing that people can't wrap their head around the finance side of the situation, especially when you're paid to inform the public.

Slick Pinkham
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Goran Dragic, Kevin Martin, and Luis Scola would've at least left the Hornets competitive. They would've probably received a 1st round draft pick along with the trade as well. Instead, Kris Kaman and Eric Gordan will most likely leave at the end of the year or at the most, they'll have Eric Gordon for one more season before he becomes an unrestricted FA.

Dragic is a free agent after this year, while Kevin Martin and Luis Scola are owed about 55 million dollars on their remaining contracts.

That 55 million owed was not going to help sell the team. That was the key.

Sure with hindsight you see Gordon get hurt and it looks worse- but nobody knew this year was going to be wiped out. Worse case, one year of Kaman, two of Gordon, and three years of a rookie is not bad compared to trying to sell the team with longer, more expensive salary commitments.

If they can re-sign Eric and he gets healthy, a year from now I'd rather have him and the decent draft pick, and possibly some cap space, rather than Scola and Martin.

Jim R
03-16-2012, 03:08 PM
There wasn't a specific intention to keep Kaman at New Orleans, which would help New Orleans clear cap room. The three way trade with Houston and the Lakers would have sent away their best player, Chris Paul, and strapped them with a lot of cap hell. The only problem with Eric Gordon being the center piece is that this is the third year in a row he has missed a significant number of games. Given that aspect, there is no way EG will turn down a long term offer from another team. New Orleans will match it if they can come to terms with him directly.

PR07
03-16-2012, 03:09 PM
You make a good point. I'd counter by saying that they would've had an easier time trading one of those Houston players before the deadline to get more picks. I also don't think that Kevin Martin, Scola, and Dragic are dead money. They're a good center and SF away from being a top 4 team like they were when they took the Lakers to the brink of elimination before Yao Ming broke his foot.

Even if it's not a great long term solution, you'd keep the fan base interested during the rebuilding process with players like that.

That was like 3 years ago against the Lakers. Scola appears to have slowed down considerably since then, Kevin Martin is nothing more than a high volume scorer, Dragic is a free agent, and Odom would be hitting the twinkies even harder if he had to play in Nola rather than Dallas.

They will be bad in the near future, but might as well take a step back so you can take two steps back going forward instead of treading in mud.

Pacer Fan
03-16-2012, 03:17 PM
I think Stern did the right thing. No question about it. Stern couldn't have known that EJ was going to hurt himself. If EJ played, then Kaman would have played and the Hornets would have been much more successful. However, they will be a high lottery pick now that this has transpired and possibly have 2 lottery picks depending on the results of the Clippers and Wolves. How much more fun is that for a new owner.

As a new owner, I would want bare bones with as much incentive as possible and that is what Stern has offered. I would not want to buy a team for 350 million and have to deal with bad contracts in Martin and Scola. The only problem I have with the deal to Clipperland is the Hornets should have tried to get rid of Okafor's contract.

Infinite MAN_force
03-16-2012, 03:21 PM
The way it looks now, the Hornets will have traded their franchise point guard (Paul) for a player who’s leaving (Kaman), a guard who’s played only two games and also could leave in the summer (Eric Gordon), underachieving forward Al-Farouq Aminu and a 2012 first-round pick that might not end up in the lottery.

Imagine how different it would be if NBA commissioner David Stern hadn’t vetoed a trade that would have given the Hornets guard Kevin Martin, forward Luis Scola, forward Lamar Odom and guard Goran Dragic.

First off, Eric Gordon is a restricted free agent. He can't just leave unless the Hornets decide not to pay him. Also, who knew he was going to be injured? If they did the trade with Martin and Martin got injured, would that be any different?

Not to even bring up the obvious financial reasons, How do these guys get paid writing jobs?

naptownmenace
03-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Dragic is a free agent after this year, while Kevin Martin and Luis Scola are owed about 55 million dollars on their remaining contracts.

That 55 million owed was not going to help sell the team. That was the key.

Sure with hindsight you see Gordon get hurt and it looks worse- but nobody knew this year was going to be wiped out. Worse case, one year of Kaman, two of Gordon, and three years of a rookie is not bad compared to trying to sell the team with longer, more expensive salary commitments.

If they can re-sign Eric and he gets healthy, a year from now I'd rather have him and the decent draft pick, and possibly some cap space, rather than Scola and Martin.

Kevin Martin has only one season left after this one for $12.9 million which they can probably move to a team like Boston who will be under the cap and looking to retool/rebuild next season. They could've released Odom at the end of the season so he was essentially an expiring player. Dragic's reasonable contract is up at the end of the season as well.

The money isn't that much different for this one season (the one when they're actually still trying to sell the team). The salaries for Dragic, Martin, and Scola's are not any different than what they're paying for Kaman, Gordon, and Aminu when you factor in the $9 contract they gave Carl Landry and the $3.3 million they gave Marco Belinelli. That's $32 million - essentially the same amount they would've had on the books if they made the Paul trade with the Lakers.

The length of Scola's contract would be the sticking point though. He had 4 years left at the time of the trade. Even though his $8.5 million salary isn't ridiculous (Carl Landry is making more this season), he's 31 years old and not a guy you can build around. In fact, I guess you can't really build around anyone in this trade. As you might be able to tell, I'm starting to re-think my opinion here.

The Clippers trade wasn't that good but maybe it is a little better after this season.

AesopRockOn
03-16-2012, 04:44 PM
This is still an issue?

cgg
03-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Boston isn't going to want Kevin Martin for 12.9M.

Kstat
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
What was the point of this, other than a random irrational stern hate-fest?

BillS
03-16-2012, 05:08 PM
What was the point of this, other than a random irrational stern hate-fest?

Now, really, is there <i>ever</i> a bad time for a random irrational Stern hate-fest? :devil:

Peck
03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Hey I'm not going to lie. I don't care what the reasons were, I'm just sick of decade after decade the Lakers get other teams mega stars to re-charge their team for another decade long run at the top.

Let them see how the other half lives once Bryant has gone to pasture.

Brad8888
03-16-2012, 05:20 PM
It was all part of his plan to drive the stake the remainder of the way through the heart of the franchise, making it ripe for movement to Seattle.

Sandman21
03-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey I'm not going to lie. I don't care what the reasons were, I'm just sick of decade after decade the Lakers get other teams mega stars to re-charge their team for another decade long run at the top.

Let them see how the other half lives once Bryant has gone to pasture.

The Lakers are only allowed to steal a star from the Hornets once every 20 years..... It was the unspoken part of the Kobe for Divac trade that nobody knew about until this winter:laugh: