PDA

View Full Version : Paul George is (nearly) ready to take over

kidthecat
03-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Blah, I keep things brief.

I've noticed something different in Paul George's body language these past few games.

It's, quite honestly, something I haven't really seen in a Pacer before.

Something suggests to me that he is ready to take over, but Paul George is deferring to the more established veterans [because he believes he has to]. And, at this point, he probably should.

Yes, the steals and subsequent dunks are spectacular, but, again, something in his movement suggests something I've not seen before. As Quinn Buckner says, he makes things look "easy."

I've never been more excited over the potential of a Pacer until now. And I was crazy over Bender.

I love Danny, and I am not a proponent of trading him, but whatever best facilitates the growth of PG, I am for. Take that for what it's worth.

Day-V
03-16-2012, 03:30 AM
It's the knee pads. Since the Break, he's started wearing Knee Pads. They must be magical.

AesopRockOn
03-16-2012, 03:38 AM
It's the knee pads. Since the Break, he's started wearing Knee Pads. They must be magical.

He's been bleeding from his knees???

imbtyler
03-16-2012, 03:47 AM

They probably have MJ's initials on them somewhere.

Paul had a swagger to him after his sick hop-step-past-two-players-and-dunk against the Sixers. He's getting into his role. He's developing that killer instinct we need him to have. He's realizing what he can do on offense that really hurts defenses: drive and score (fyi, the same thing I've been suggesting he do). It's only a matter of time before he starts wearing the Adidas sleeve and showing his own brand of leadership.

This is the same kid whose Twitter profile reads, "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!" He's got a galaxy of potential, and it's only a matter of time (hopefully before the playoffs) before he starts to show it by the boatload.

Richard_Skull
03-16-2012, 04:45 AM
My father and I caught the end of the Matrix movie, and I said "Paul George is like Neo right know. He's starting to believe."

Day-V
03-16-2012, 04:55 AM
My father and I caught the end of the Matrix movie, and I said "Paul George is like Neo right know. He's starting to believe."

So, does that mean Frank Vogel is Morpheus? And Larry Bird is the Oracle?

Jim O'Brien is obviously Agent Smith. Troy Murphy is Cypher.

DGPR
03-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Would he go top 2 in a re-do of the 2010 draft? I believe that he would.

Day-V
03-16-2012, 05:10 AM

Remember when there was so much hype from scouts saying he could be the best player to come out of that draft? It actually could happen. That's friggin crazy.

Have I mentioned how much I love the Utah Jazz lately? No? Well, then, let me just say, MY GOD how I love the Utah Jazz. Thank you, Utah, for taking Gordon Hayward instead of the awesomeness that is Paul George. Thank you for allowing Larry Bird to draft our next Franchise Player. I love you guys!

TheDavisBrothers
03-16-2012, 05:46 AM

Wall, Turner (look at him numbers lately), Cousins and Monroe could all be taken before him still...
I'd be interested to see where Lin would be taken

HC
03-16-2012, 06:37 AM
It always gets me to watch how effortlessly his dunks are. Sometimes it looks like he barely even jumps, and then throws it down hard.

kidthecat
03-16-2012, 06:43 AM

LOL

That is a pretty apt analogy.

Again, I've said it seems even more "evident" these past 5-10 games. Maybe there is a statistical point where stars "get it," but I wouldn't know. I'm just talking about what I've seen from my own two eyes.

I've watched the Pacers devoutly since the Reggie days, and no player has ever held as much potential -- or demonstrated it as regularly -- as Paul George. At least those are my two cents.

kidthecat
03-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Okay, I'm sorry to double-post.

It's just that, once the Neo analogy was brought up, it got me thinking.

Can we say any NBA superstar moves with the fluidity of Paul George? I honestly can't.

That does not mean to suggest that PG is worthy of such status (yet), but the way he moves is of interest to me, as I previously stated.

Lebron is without question the most impressive athlete I've seen in professional basketball -- save for, arguably, MJ highlights (but I only remember MJ from his late Bulls career and long before Youtube).

I wish I knew of a precedent, but this probably illustrates my limited knowledge in NBA history.

George Gervin, maybe? I don't know. I'm honestly perplexed by this.

danman
03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Hmm, I see a wing who does not look to drive even with an advantage on his defender. His aggression has increased on breaks, but he's not quite able to finish on them.

Talk to me when he starts doing these things, and racks up, say, 4 20 point games in a 6 game span. His big games to date have been camping the 3 point line and not being covered.

McKeyFan
03-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Can we say any NBA superstar moves with the fluidity of Paul George? I honestly can't.

That does not mean to suggest that PG is worthy of such status (yet), but the way he moves is of interest to me, as I previously stated.

Lebron is without question the most impressive athlete I've seen in professional basketball -- save for, arguably, MJ highlights (but I only remember MJ from his late Bulls career and long before Youtube).

I wish I knew of a precedent, but this probably illustrates my limited knowledge in NBA history.

Gervin, yes. Alex English. Dr. J was pretty fluid. I like DWade for a current player.

"Nearly" is the key word. He isn't there yet, but the past few games have upped the promise of potential.

I really, really, liked his comment that his goal is to be the all-time leading scorer in franchise history. That took some guts to say.

Steagles
03-16-2012, 09:24 AM
I think we are seeing glimpses of him flashing his potential. I think he'll be getting better and better for at least 5 or 6 more years.

Major Cold
03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
LOL

That is a pretty apt analogy.

Again, I've said it seems even more "evident" these past 5-10 games. Maybe there is a statistical point where stars "get it," but I wouldn't know. I'm just talking about what I've seen from my own two eyes.

I've watched the Pacers devoutly since the Reggie days, and no player has ever held as much potential -- or demonstrated it as regularly -- as Paul George. At least those are my two cents.

An analogy is a thought wearing another thought's hat....

luis3ep
03-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I think we'll see a huge improvement of Paul this off-season. He knows he needs to add some muscle now to be able to guard 3's and post up his defenders. He'll only keep getting better and he's still only 21 years old. Paul is the kind of player who's not content on settling and being complacent since he's in the NBA already, he idolized Kobe growing up and wants to be a beast, and he has the tools to do so. He's VERY smart and wants to be great. In my opinion he's already better than Danny.

yoadknux
03-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Ready to take over what?

spazzxb
03-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Ready to take over what?

Batman. jk

Ace E.Anderson
03-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Wall, Turner (look at him numbers lately), Cousins and Monroe could all be taken before him still...
I'd be interested to see where Lin would be taken

Turner? Evan Turner is not 2nd pick material. Cousins and Monroe I could see b/c of their size. But Evan Turner? I don't know, maybe I'm biased.

(Then I looked at his stats)

Turner's last 4-games : 21, 24, 16, and 26-- 21.7 PPG
The 15 games before that: 4.4 ppg.

I know he's an above average rebounder and pretty good defender, but I personally would like a little more scoring from my 2guard. ESP if he's drafted in the top 5 (let alone the top 3)

Major Cold
03-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Turner? Evan Turner is not 2nd pick material. Cousins and Monroe I could see b/c of their size. But Evan Turner? I don't know, maybe I'm biased.

I know he's an above average rebounder and pretty good defender, but I personally would like a little more scoring from my 2guard. ESP if he's drafted in the top 5 (let alone the top 3)

PLaying for Collins rookies have a hard time finding their place. Evan Turner seems to be turning a corner. If he can average 20 ppg that is starting SG numbers. Numbers that PG may never get and may never have to get with the roster the way it is.

Right now PG is ahead of Turner. But if Evan maintains the production of the last 4 games, that will be debatable.

Kid Minneapolis
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
So what you all are saying is that Paul George is starting to see the court like this:

http://hunternuttall.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/matrix-code-agents.gif

xIndyFan
03-16-2012, 11:59 AM
An analogy is a thought wearing another thought's hat....

and that would make a simile a thought wearing another thought's hat, . . . using like or as, i think. :D

xIndyFan
03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
i will be so glad when he finally learns to finish is traffic. or gets strong enough to finish is traffic. whatever the reason is, he is still not quite getting to the rim. either vern flemming or marquis daniels need to show him the quick easy way to get the ball on the rim under pressure. :laugh:

PR07
03-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Can we say any NBA superstar moves with the fluidity of Paul George? I honestly cant.

I'd say Kobe is just as fluid if not more than PG. He's the gold standard

MillerTime
03-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Personally, I'd take Wall, Cousins and Monroe over PG

Sandman21
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
I would take George over Cousins. Sure Cousins is putting up stats, but he is trouble waiting to happen.

TheDavisBrothers
03-16-2012, 12:34 PM

You failed to even mention what seperates Turner for Paul, his ball handling and passing are very good for a SG/SF and that's why he could go above Paul...

TheDavisBrothers
03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
I would take George over Cousins. Sure Cousins is putting up stats, but he is trouble waiting to happen.

That's true, the reason why he gets consideration from me at least, is because of how rare great big men are, same reasoning for Monroe...

Kid Minneapolis
03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Here was the draft:

John Wall
Evan Turner
Derrick Favors
Wesley Johnson
DeMarcus Cousins
Ekpe Udoh
Greg Monroe
Al-Farouq Aminu
Gordon Hayward
Paul George

If I were to order it now according to impact thus far (to PG's spot):

John Wall
Monroe
DeMarcus Cousins
Paul George

Which is saying he's jumped 6 spots.

If I were to order it going into the future 5 years:

John Wall
Paul George
Cousins
Monroe

Peck
03-16-2012, 01:41 PM
There is a natureal progression that is occuring and is still going to occur.

That is why I have begged the P.G. fans to be patient, it's going to happen, he is going to pass Danny as the teams best player.

We have seen something very similar to this before and it wasn't that long ago. Danny surpassed Jermaine O'Neal to be the best player on the team but kept deffering to Jermaine.

Eventually O'Neal had to go.

Will the same be true of Danny? We will see. Danny does not have the same mind set of Jermaine so if Danny is willing to take on the David Robinson mentor role to Paul's Tim Duncan I don't think it has to occur. But Danny by no means is an old player ready to retire so he may not accept that role (none of us know, we can all speculate but none of us know).

Right now I'm just enjoying both of them when they play well together. I think they compliment each other better than any wing duo our franchise has ever had (yes I'm even going back to the ABA because Roger really never had a dynamic wing to play along side him). You could (and Seth will) make the argument that Reggie Miller & Detleph Schremph would be there but I just never really considered Det a wing player.

I'm a Danny fan, but first & formost I am a Pacer fan, so in the end whatever works out best for the club.

But nothing I see tells me that they can not co-exist. Saying that Paul is playing out of position just rings hollow to me but I'm also smart enough to say that in the long run his best position may be the three, I don't know. I think Reggie Miller made a hell of a career at the 2 guard spot and he was 1 inch shorter than Paul.

TheDavisBrothers
03-16-2012, 01:46 PM

That is why I have begged the P.G. fans to be patient, it's going to happen, he is going to pass Danny as the teams best player.

We have seen something very similar to this before and it wasn't that long ago. Danny surpassed Jermaine O'Neal to be the best player on the team but kept deffering to Jermaine.

Will the same be true of Danny? We will see. Danny does not have the same mind set of Jermaine so if Danny is willing to take on the David Robinson mentor role to Paul's Tim Duncan I don't think it has to occur. But Danny by no means is an old player ready to retire so he may not accept that role (none of us know, we can all speculate but none of us know).

Right now I'm just enjoying both of them when they play well together. I think they compliment each other better than any wing duo our franchise has ever had (yes I'm even going back to the ABA because Roger really never had a dynamic wing to play along side him). You could (and Seth will) make the argument that Reggie Miller & Detleph Schremph would be there but I just never really considered Det a wing player.

I'm a Danny fan, but first & formost I am a Pacer fan, so in the end whatever works out best for the club.

But nothing I see tells me that they can not co-exist. Saying that Paul is playing out of position just rings hollow to me but I'm also smart enough to say that in the long run his best position may be the three, I don't know. I think Reggie Miller made a hell of a career at the 2 guard spot and he was 1 inch shorter than Paul.

What about Jalen? And Paul grew to about 6'9 1/2", so it's more like 2 1/2 inches...

J7F
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Personally, I'd take Wall, Cousins and Monroe over PG

Consider that of those 4 only Monroe and PG would probably have been fine with playing in Indy for their entire career... Wall and Cousins come off as future large market players...

TheDavisBrothers
03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Consider that of those 4 only Monroe and PG would probably have been fine with playing in Indy for their entire career... Wall and Cousins come off as future large market players...

That's irrelevant, we didn't have a top 2 pick in the 2010 draft...

PaulGeorge
03-16-2012, 02:32 PM
I think the best thing for george now is learning how to be an all round good player in the nba. It's too early to for him to be the go to guy for 82 games. I do believe keeping granger through atleast the next season would be in the best interest for george. By that time hopefully he'll have that killer instinct. I do believe if he becomes a superstar he could play either the 2 or 3 much like how Lebron can play any position. Granger notices his skill much like everyone, maybe even better playing with him everyday. Should be interesting to see what the front office does in the next few off seasons.

Eleazar
03-16-2012, 03:29 PM
You would have to be blind, or have never watched a Pacer game the last 2 seasons to not see that a switch has been flipped since the all-star break, and he is taking his next steps towards being the player he will be. Not sure if he is ready to take over yet, but he is defiantly a different (better) player.

Peck
03-16-2012, 04:05 PM
What about Jalen? And Paul grew to about 6'9 1/2", so it's more like 2 1/2 inches...

Myself I didn't think Jalen ever passed Reggie, even when Reggie was doing everything in his power to give it to him.

As to the height, I think I'm siding with Frank here a little. I think there was a little much hype about his growth, standing next to Danny they are really about the same height with Danny being maybe just a little taller.

Either way I don't see that as a disadvantage at the two spot, I see that as an advantage unless for whatever reason he can not keep up speed wise.

Sookie
03-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Myself I didn't think Jalen ever passed Reggie, even when Reggie was doing everything in his power to give it to him.

As to the height, I think I'm siding with Frank here a little. I think there was a little much hype about his growth, standing next to Danny they are really about the same height with Danny being maybe just a little taller.

Either way I don't see that as a disadvantage at the two spot, I see that as an advantage unless for whatever reason he can not keep up speed wise.

And seeing as he could keep up "speed wise" with Rose, I don't think that's an issue.

actually, defensively, I think he's better as a 2. I can see strong 3s pushing him around.

The Future
03-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Tracy McGrady was very fluid in his prime in Orlando.

I think George will become McGrady-lite which is a great player.

CJ Jones
03-16-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm gonna stay out of this one because my stance is well documented. There's plenty of reasons people think Paul's a natural 3, and I've yet to see anyone explain why they think he's a natural 2 so what's the point... :cool:

p.s. I don't think Reggie is a good example because he wasn't your typical SG. Reggie and Paul are totally different players.

Infinite MAN_force
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM

I don't understand the reasoning here. The strength of this team IMO, is the distribution of talent. We shouldn't be in any hurry to ship out one of our top players so Paul George has room to improve his personal stats. The only stat that matters is wins and losses, and having a roster where you have a guy at every position that can go off any particular night is a big advantage.

Paul George is still a second year guy, of course he defers to Danny. I don't know if anyone remembers, but he has NOT performed particularly well the games Danny has missed either. His time will come, but Danny is hardly standing in his way.

Eleazar
03-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't think Danny is the kind of player to let his ego get in the way of a better player, as long as he also gets the playing time he deserves.

Volmancagle17
03-16-2012, 06:25 PM

someone said that he would be taken third, after wall and cousins. I believe that. Hes got a much higher ceiling than Turner. Someone said that he is the player that wesley johnson shouldve been. I think by the end of their careers that if he advances at this rate for another few years hell be the best player. I just hope he stays a pacer!

TheDavisBrothers
03-16-2012, 07:21 PM

I don't think Jalen passed Reggie either, my point was that those 2 were the best wing combo Indiana has had, regardless of which of the 2 was better...

And I do think he's at the very least 6'9" and taller then Granger, and I agree that it's not a problem for him at the 2. I just brought it up for technical reasons.

Infinite MAN_force
03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't think Jalen passed Reggie either, my point was that those 2 were the best wing combo Indiana has had, regardless of which of the 2 was better...

And I do think he's at the very least 6'9" and taller then Granger, and I agree that it's not a problem for him at the 2. I just brought it up for technical reasons.

I like the Rose/Reggie comparison, a wing tandem that coexisted just fine. There is no reason we can't be successful with both playing a big role.

graphic-er
03-16-2012, 09:57 PM
To the OP...say again? PG disappeared tonight against the Knicks.

kidthecat
03-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Seriously, dude?

troyc11a
03-16-2012, 10:07 PM

Looked like the entire starting line-up (minus DC) was MIA! And I dont mean Miami either!

Eleazar
03-16-2012, 11:36 PM

One game doesn't mean much after a series of good play. If it continues then come back and say something, but seriously the first bad game he has had since the all-star break doesn't mean he hasn't improved.

Naptown_Seth
03-17-2012, 12:37 AM
So, does that mean Frank Vogel is Morpheus? And Larry Bird is the Oracle?

Jim O'Brien is obviously Agent Smith. Troy Murphy is Cypher.
No. JOB is the d-bag Architect, screwing with what happens to everybody, randomly yanking their life path this way and that, and then spouting off a bunch of pseudo-philosophy that doesn't really make sense, and then getting p****d when you call him on it.

Remember that part in Matrix 2 where Neo said "I thought you said the programs with the most efficiency were allowed to live" and then the Architect said "I said that's ONE METRIC, not the ONLY ONE!!!"

And then he subbed in Posey for Agent Smith.

CJ Jones
03-17-2012, 01:34 AM

Did he not show up or did we not get him the ball? I can't remember one play being called for him.

I like the Rose/Reggie comparison, a wing tandem that coexisted just fine. There is no reason we can't be successful with both playing a big role.

Who's Rose in this comparison. Rose handled and passed like a PG.

People undervalue ball handling and play making here it seems. Having 2 poor handling wings is a big part of the reason our offense struggles at times.

Nuntius
03-17-2012, 05:38 PM
No. JOB is the d-bag Architect, screwing with what happens to everybody, randomly yanking their life path this way and that, and then spouting off a bunch of pseudo-philosophy that doesn't really make sense, and then getting p****d when you call him on it.

Remember that part in Matrix 2 where Neo said "I thought you said the programs with the most efficiency were allowed to live" and then the Architect said "I said that's ONE METRIC, not the ONLY ONE!!!"

And then he subbed in Posey for Agent Smith.

:laugh:

Brad8888
03-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Paul George is (nearly) ready to begin learning what it might take for him to take over some day

Clearly clarified for clarity Claire.

TheDavisBrothers
03-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Clearly clarified for clarity Claire.

I love the potential and see the improvement, but I agree with this, it's still to soon...

If they ran some more :censored: plays for him that would help!

Eleazar
03-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Did he not show up or did we not get him the ball? I can't remember one play being called for him.

Who's Rose in this comparison. Rose handled and passed like a PG.

People undervalue ball handling and play making here it seems. Having 2 poor handling wings is a big part of the reason our offense struggles at times.

I don't think anyone undervalues ball handling, and this board is all about getting a bunch of play makers throwing them on the floor and hoping they can work it out even if they don't exactly fit. So I really don't know what you are talking about. Those of us who like to see player and ball movement and less 1v1 play are the minority here. Just because we prefer it (for good reason) doesn't mean we don't value those aspects also, it is just we don't need to speak up about them because everyone understands their importance.

Hicks
03-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Positive indicators keep cropping up with this kid on most nights, and I think what it will really come down to is how he looks in year three. Next season should be really damned interesting when it comes to Paul George.

I'm not saying how he plays next year is as good as he will ever be, but it should be a really good indicator of where he's headed.

CJ Jones
03-18-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't think anyone undervalues ball handling, and this board is all about getting a bunch of play makers throwing them on the floor and hoping they can work it out even if they don't exactly fit. So I really don't know what you are talking about. Those of us who like to see player and ball movement and less 1v1 play are the minority here. Just because we prefer it (for good reason) doesn't mean we don't value those aspects also, it is just we don't need to speak up about them because everyone understands their importance.

Maybe your right, but If everyone thinks it's important why am I the only one wanting Paul to play his natural position. If you look at the rosters around the league, we have arguably the worst ball handling wing duo in the NBA. If we keep Danny and Paul together that's not going to change. Paul will get better, but he'll never be more then an average ball handler at the SG position.

I like ball movement as much as the next guy, but you gotta have players that can dribble and pass to move the ball.

bellisimo
03-19-2012, 04:53 AM
couldn't find this mentioned anywhere else:

Paul George: "It makes you feel good that your number is called," George said. "I'm out there defending, trying to get extra possessions, trying to get offense for myself. At times it is frustrating when I'm defending and not getting plays called."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120312/SPORTS04/203120320/Pacers-notebook-George-offers-lone-bright-spot

Anyone else feel troubled by that? I don't blame George to be honest - he started to play very agressively after the all star break but he is being held back by Vogel's line-up structure.

Willbo
03-19-2012, 05:07 AM
I'd be more worried if he was perfectly content playing second banana.

CJ Jones
03-20-2012, 07:32 AM

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120312/SPORTS04/203120320/Pacers-notebook-George-offers-lone-bright-spot

Anyone else feel troubled by that? I don't blame George to be honest - he started to play very agressively after the all star break but he is being held back by Vogel's line-up structure.

This puts a smile on my face. Willbo's right, this is exactly how he should respond to the lack of plays called for him. He might already be the best player on the team and he's only 21.

He wants the ball more... give it to him.

LazyDaze
03-20-2012, 08:37 AM

I am troubled but this quote tells me Paul is ready. Its one thing to sit back and be the consummate pro and let others grab the spotlight but its another when you speak up about it because you know you are a better player than what is being portrayed. Coach Vogel needs to take the shackles off and let Paul grow as a professional. Danny at his ceiling is not a #1 on a Championship team. We don't know if Paul has that ability but the way we are grooming him, he will never be more than a defensive minded shooting guard that can hit the occasional three.

Steagles
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I wish Frank would utilize him more, but that will happen when he removes DC from the first unit, which apparently he doesn't have the sack to do.

docpaul
03-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Positive indicators keep cropping up with this kid on most nights, and I think what it will really come down to is how he looks in year three. Next season should be really damned interesting when it comes to Paul George.

I'm not saying how he plays next year is as good as he will ever be, but it should be a really good indicator of where he's headed.

I think this is right on point. He still has a lot of room for improvement, IMO.

I think his defense is perhaps a little too overrated, in the same way that Blake Griffin is overrated on offense. In both cases, the players make eye catching plays that get your attention, but they make bone-headed, routine mistakes on the more fundamental stuff.

In George's case, he is getting burned a lot on the perimeter. While he gets a lot of impressive deflections and steals which can really turn the momentum of a game, I hope that in his third year, he'll really focus in on the fundamentals. If he's going to be a 2 guard, then he needs legitimate perimeter defense to be able to stay on the floor for solid minutes.

He also obviously needs to continue learning assertiveness on the offensive end.

danman
03-22-2012, 02:32 AM
My earlier post came off more negative than feel.

I think he cares on both ends of the court, and he's got the tools. A bit of strength added in the offseason would open things up...