PDA

View Full Version : DC to remain starting PG

ejwallace
03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2012/03/15/not-flashy-but-a-solid-pickup-by-the-pacers/

Did the Pacers make a splash by pulling off a trade that had everybody talking Thursday? No.

Did they acquire a starter in Leandro Barbosa? No, they improved their bench and also gave coach Frank Vogel the option of moving George Hill into the starting lineup at point guard if wants to at some point.

Did the Pacers improve by acquiring Barbosa? Definitely.

The Pacers weren’t looking to be a heavyweight during trade talks. They just wanted to continue to add pieces. They had the financial ability to take on all of Barbosa’s $7.6 million contract because they’re under the salary cap and had two roster spots available.

The Pacers aren’t going to leap ahead of Miami or Chicago in the Eastern Conference standings. Shoot, they probably won’t pass Orlando now that the circus surrounding Dwight Howard ended with him deciding to continue to play in the land of Disney.

The Pacers want to get homecourt advantage in the first round of the playoffs and hopefully advance to the second round.

“We’re really excited to add a player like Leandro to our roster,” Vogel said by phone as the team was stuck in New York traffic. “He gives us another weapon off the bench. He’s playoff tested, he can run the pick-and-roll and he’s one of the fastest players in the league.”

The plan is for Collison to continue to be the starter at the point for now. Bird is intrigued by having Barbosa and Hill playing together in the second unit.

“I think DC will be fine,” Bird said. “We don’t need to make a change when Roy (Hibbert) struggles, so I think DC will get back on track.”

Bird also looked into acquiring center Chris Kaman from New Orleans but the asking price was too high for the Pacers. They’re going to give up first round pick for a two month rental player.

“Obviously you’re always looking for ‘bigs’, but scoring was the thing we wanted,” Bird said. “You can’t always have everything you want. You can have bodies and stuff but you can’t quite get what you want. I just think we needed something extra to help us and we got a good one.”

What grade do you give the Pacers? I’m going with a solid ‘B’

PacersHomer
03-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Not what I wanted, but I'm not surprised either. We've played 40some games without a change, and now would be an odd time to start.

pizza guy
03-15-2012, 08:58 PM
All you DC haters can just slow your roll a little.

:buddies: ;)

tadscout
03-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Well we do play 2 more games w/o Barbosa... also, it is who plays the crunch time/ end of games that matter the most.

Steagles
03-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I hope he plays more with the second unit and the inverse for hill. Then again Hill and Barbosa on the fast break would be awesome. But if it keeps morale up for DC, start him. It matters that we have 7 starters, and play them like such.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

LetsTalkPacers
03-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Good problems to have.

MiaDragon
03-15-2012, 09:09 PM

Its only a matter of time, my friend.

Steagles
03-15-2012, 09:10 PM

And I was on DC's bandwagon and I thought highly of him, but I've grown tired of his inability to make a good decision on the court.

spazzxb
03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
I would just appreciate it if when we play teams where DC is at an obvious disadvantage(Paul, Williams, Rose, Holliday, Westbrook, Rondo, Irving, Wall) we consider not starting DC.

Hicks
03-15-2012, 09:19 PM
This is thinking way ahead, but how offended would you be if we drafted a small forward while trading DC and Danny for the best point guard (who can actually point/pass) available the same night?

BlueNGold
03-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Its only a matter of time, my friend.

I agree. But the good news is that he's not bad. I think George Hill is the better player and I suspect the Pacers think that too, but who has the starter label isn't as important as the guys finishing games. Just have to pay people appropriately and I would fork out more for Hill.

Is Hill the answer? I honestly think he could be given more time at the position. He can defend...he plays with poise...he's clutch...he can drain the 3...he can handle the rock. No, he's not JKidd or Nash...but neither was Derek Fisher. I think Hill could be the PG on a team that wins the ring. I don't believe the same about DC.

ejwallace
03-15-2012, 09:26 PM
This is thinking way ahead, but how offended would you be if we drafted a small forward while trading DC and Danny for the best point guard (who can actually point/pass) available the same night?

Would we even need to draft a SF??? Isn't SF PG24's original position, and you could move Hill to the SG....That is IF you renew Hill who is asking $7M, Barbosa more than likely walks as he is making $7.6M this year....Plus we would still have to renew Roy....

Steagles
03-15-2012, 09:27 PM

I don't like the idea of trading Danny. He presents mismatches in size and shoots well. That being said, if we could somehow net a good point guard (I still want Hill) or up and coming small forward and other pieces for Danny, I'd pull the trigger.

BlueNGold
03-15-2012, 09:29 PM

It would have to be an all-star caliber PG, and not an old one.

PacersHomer
03-15-2012, 09:51 PM

If it's Rondo I'd take it without a doubt.

PaceBalls
03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2012/03/15/not-flashy-but-a-solid-pickup-by-the-pacers/
Bird also looked into acquiring center Chris Kaman from New Orleans but the asking price was too high for the Pacers. They’re going to give up first round pick for a two month rental player.

What does that mean? Bad writing alert!

gummy
03-15-2012, 10:47 PM
What does that mean? Bad writing alert!

Yeah, I think there is a missing "not" that should have been between "They're" and "going".

vnzla81
03-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Booo Vogel boooo that man ................. :mad: I can't wait until the fire that guy ;)

Anthem
03-15-2012, 10:58 PM
So, it's as we suspected. Nawlins was holding out for a first.

Major Cold
03-15-2012, 11:02 PM
The question is not who starts. But who is finishing?

And I think that Hill and Barbosa are better finishers, even if they are'nt PGs.

pizza guy
03-15-2012, 11:33 PM

If we draft a SF, does Paul George move to SF until the rookie is ready? That would move Hill into the starting lineup as a SG, where he's a little undersized but certainly capable. And the Point Guard X would presumably be Rondo or DWill, right?

DWill or Rondo
Hill
George/Rookie
West
Hibbert

Yes. Bye DC, bye Granger. I like both of those guys, but DWill is the next level up on the "star" ladder. That team would contend, IMO.

That said, until it happens, I will support DC. Plus, I think playing Hill at the 1 is out of position for him, and he is better at SG.

Hicks
03-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Would we even need to draft a SF??? Isn't SF PG24's original position, and you could move Hill to the SG....That is IF you renew Hill who is asking $7M, Barbosa more than likely walks as he is making $7.6M this year....Plus we would still have to renew Roy....

Paul's great just where he is now: At the 2. He's quick enough to play their full time on both ends of the floor, and so long as that is the case he has a massive size advantage that he takes advantage of. Not saying it's impossible to slide him down, or that he won't do it some of the time, but there's no need to force it, either. I'd rather not back away from such an advantage unless I had to.

Peck
03-16-2012, 01:05 AM

Totally depends on who that point guard is. Daron Williams? Yes. Rajon Rondo? Probably not, I'm not as big a fan of his as a lot of you are.

But as you said in your last post here, why force something unless you have to. Right now when Danny & Paul are both dialed in, which I don't believe we really have seen a lot of that yet, I think they are one of the most dynamic wing duo's in the NBA.

I would be perfectly comfortable with Hill playing point for them.

But when it comes to point guards I'm still of the belief that whether they admit it or not they are grooming Lance to pair up with Paul in the back court of the future and if it did somehow work that would really make a dynamic huge back court.

Unclebuck
03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
I suspect we need a clear upgrade at the point guard position in order to become an elite team. But George Hill is not the answer. I think he's better than Collison especially at the end of games, but Hill has some weaknesses for sure

xIndyFan
03-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I suspect we need a clear upgrade at the point guard position in order to become an elite team. But George Hill is not the answer. I think he's better than Collison especially at the end of games, but Hill has some weaknesses for sure

someone who really knows tell me if i am incorrect.

does george hill have a good enough handle to be a full time starting PG?

i don't see it, he looks more like JJ when he first got here. that 'turnover waiting to happen' kind of look. can hill bring the ball up under pressure over and over again.? i don't see it, but am willing to take someone's word for it if he can. too many turnovers are going to kill up faster than weak defense.

yoadknux
03-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Depends who. Nobody's untouchable. I think I'd rather trade Hibbert than Granger though.

ECKrueger
03-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Mike Wells

As far as rotations go, Vogel said he has no intention of changing his starting lineup at the moment. He's going to look at his rotation off the bench. A.J. Price will likely go back to being the third point guard at some point and Lance Stephenson will likely go from getting a few minutes a game to getting none at all.

http://www.sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/7820ac82-5ab8-4e31-a01d-4297b868b9ed/?source=twitter

Ratking
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
I think this is for the best. As much as I would love to see Hill get the start, Im a little concerned about the defensive liabilities of a DC/Barbosa backcourt coming off the bench. It would be awesome to have two of the fastest guys in the league running the break with Paul George still out there with the second unit at SF, but I just worry the other teams guards will be getting into the paint at will against DC/Barbosa. Better I think to have G Hill and Barbosa for defensive purposes.

MillerTime
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM
DC can start....I just hope Hill plays the end of games.

A trio of Hill, Barbosa and Granger will be a tough trio for any defence