PDA

View Full Version : What could have been - Oden about to be released

RichardHawes
03-15-2012, 05:54 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/BlazerFreeman

A league source tells me the #Blazers intend on waving center Greg Oden.

https://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine

Source w/knowledge of Blazers' thinking says team has informed Greg Oden's camp that Oden is being waived for needed roster room after deals

Sandman21
03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
If I'm Oden, I do whatever it takes to try and get on with Phoenix and their training staff.

Lance George
03-15-2012, 06:05 PM
I know the negative crowd will use their combination of crystal balls and Johns Hopkins medical degrees to assure us his NBA career is over, and maybe it is, but, still, it's something I'll be keeping my eye on.

Maybe it'll take another year of rehab, maybe more, but if doctors say there's a possibility of Oden resuming his NBA career, I'm gonna have interest.

CJ Jones
03-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Is he gonna retire or does he think he'll be able to play again?

TheDavisBrothers
03-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I know the negative crowd will use their combination of crystal balls and Johns Hopkins medical degrees to assure us his NBA career is over, and maybe it is, but, still, it's something I'll be keeping my eye on.

Maybe it'll take another year of rehab, maybe more, but if doctors say there's a possibility of Oden resuming his NBA career, I'm gonna have interest.

He's play 1 full season out of 5, I'd say the odds aren't very good...

Heisenberg
03-15-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm no medical professional, but if a doctor encourages a guy that just had his third microfracture surgery last month to keep playing I'd want a second opinion.

Peck
03-15-2012, 06:11 PM
All I know is the other night at the Blazers game the saddest thing I've seen in a long time was Greg Oden having to use two canes to ambulate. Honestly he looked like he had shrunk 3 or 4 inches.

I hope he can come back but in all honesty I just don't see how.

Lance George
03-15-2012, 06:14 PM
He's play 1 full season out of 5, I'd say the odds aren't very good...

I certainly wouldn't bet money on an Oden return, but only time will tell for certain.

Here's an article from last month:

Oden gets microfracture surgery, out for season - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34918523)

It's been just under five years since the Portland Trail Blazer made center Greg Oden the No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft. On Monday, Oden underwent his fifth knee surgery during those five years, and it was worse than expected.

On Monday morning, the Blazers announced that Oden would undergo an arthroscopic procedure on his left knee in Vail, Colo. Instead, Oden underwent a second microfracture surgery on his left knee and his 2011-2012 season is officially over. He had previously been listed as "out indefinitely."

The procedure was performed by renowned surgeon Richard Steadman, who has operated on numerous professional athletes.
"Initially, Greg was undergoing a procedure similar to the one he had a couple of weeks ago to have debris cleared from his right knee," said Acting General Manager Chad Buchanan . "However, once the doctors were inside Greg's left knee, they unfortunately found articular surface damage and determined microfracture was necessary."

Oden, who will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, was selected by the Trail Blazers (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/POR) with the first overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. In 82 career games (60 starts), Oden has averaged 9.4 points (57.7% FG), 7.3 rebounds and 1.43 blocks in 22.1 minutes per game.

"This is not the news we were hoping for Greg or the organization," said Trail Blazers President Larry Miller. "It's hard to put into words the heartbreak for everyone involved, but especially for Greg. He's a young man who has experienced a great number of physical challenges in his playing career and today is yet another significant setback for him. We have a lot of empathy for Greg and his family during this difficult time."A microfracture surgery typically has a one-year rehabilitation timeline.

This procedure marks the third time Oden has had surgery his left knee. He had left knee surgery in Dec. 2009 after fracturing his patella and he had microfracture surgery in Nov. 2010 to address an injury suffered during his rehabilitation process.

Prior to undergoing the arthroscopic procedure on his right knee earlier this month, Oden had microfracture surgery on that knee in Sept. 2007.

Oden, 24, has played in 82 career NBA games, averaging 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.

Hicks
03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
I doubt he'll ever play again, but I'd also support signing him just in case. Assuming he's cheap. Why not, in that case.

Heisenberg
03-15-2012, 06:21 PM
I'd sign him to the minimum just to get headlines nationally. I'm only half kidding.

vnzla81
03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
I doubt he'll ever play again, but I'd also support signing him just in case. Assuming he's cheap. Why not, in that case.

Yeah I don't think I'm ready for the "let's trade Roy Hibbert because Greg Oden is getting healthy thread" and god forbid Seth falls in love with the guy :zip:

Kstat
03-15-2012, 06:25 PM
I've got my popcorn ready for the first "let's sign Greg Oden for the rest of the season" thread, when oden won't be playing basketball again until november at the earliest...

jeffg-body
03-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Love the guy, what a bad luck story he has been so far. Hopefully he can get back physically and try another run at the NBA.

Lance George
03-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I'd sign him to the minimum just to get headlines nationally. I'm only half kidding.

Ha. I was thinking something similar. He's not gonna play, obviously, but the casuals would be thrilled to hear the Pacers signed Greg Oden -- as sad as it may be, I could definitely see it increasing interest in the team. I'd also think Greg Oden Pacers jerseys would be a hot seller.

Day-V
03-15-2012, 06:39 PM
If Grant Hill could find a way to come back and play into his late 30's, Greg Oden could get his knees fixed up and play at least 4 or 5 more seasons.

Lance George
03-15-2012, 06:59 PM
If Grant Hill could find a way to come back and play into his late 30's, Greg Oden could get his knees fixed up and play at least 4 or 5 more seasons.

In his seven-year stint in Orlando, Hill missed 374 of 574 (65.2%) games, including the entire 2003-04 season. By the time this season's ended, Oden will have missed 312 out of a 394 games (79.2% -- ouch) in his NBA career.

<iframe src="http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/share.cgi?id=z3IA9&output=iframe" width=175 height=500></iframe>

According to this two-year-old article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/lee_jenkins/05/21/grant.hill/index.html), Hill's had at least five surgeries on his ankle -- the same number Oden's had on his knee.

After multiple injuries, Grant Hill's time is now - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/lee_jenkins/05/21/grant.hill/index.html)

Hill was coming off his fifth left-ankle surgery in four years and a staph infection that nearly killed him.

Oden's situation seems to be worse than Hill's, but there is a precedent for a player having a productive career after five surgeries to the same body part.

TheDavisBrothers
03-15-2012, 07:03 PM
410 - 16 games = 394 potential games actually, because of the lockout shortened season

Lance George
03-15-2012, 07:07 PM
410 - 16 games = 394 potential games actually, because of the lockout shortened season

True. A whole season, none the less.

mikeyism
03-15-2012, 07:28 PM
I'd still take 82 games of Greg Oden over 500 games of Michael Olowokandi.

Pacer Fan
03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Still got a roster spot...wouldn't think Larry would use it for Greg tho.

Sparhawk
03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
If you can sign him cheap and have him play 10-15min a game, why not.

Hoop
03-15-2012, 08:30 PM
The Pacer should at least let him use their facilities to rehab. Then let him know if he ever decides to make a come back, they would help him out.

xBulletproof
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
I've been one of the harshest on Oden over the years. I've said from day one I would have taken Durant over him because of health issues. The same health issues that GM's noted during scouting, are the same ones haunting him today. I also laughed and scoffed at people who wanted to offer him a multi year 6-10 million dollar contract last year (omg how horrible would that have been?).

Yet, if he's at the point where he's available for the league minimum and just a roster spot, I will take a chance on that at some point.

Nuntius
03-15-2012, 08:48 PM

All that he has to do is go to Phoenix :D

Nuntius
03-15-2012, 08:50 PM
The Pacer should at least let him use their facilities to rehab. Then let him know if he ever decides to make a come back, they would help him out.

I agree with this. We're not using a roster spot or limit our options but we should help the guy.

Heisenberg
03-15-2012, 09:09 PM
All that he has to do is go to Phoenix :D
Because they've done wonders for Michael Redd

vnzla81
03-15-2012, 10:42 PM
I've been one of the harshest on Oden over the years. I've said from day one I would have taken Durant over him because of health issues. The same health issues that GM's noted during scouting, are the same ones haunting him today. I also laughed and scoffed at people who wanted to offer him a multi year 6-10 million dollar contract last year (omg how horrible would that have been?).

Yet, if he's at the point where he's available for the league minimum and just a roster spot, I will take a chance on that at some point.

Yeah some people here were arguing with me that Portland didn't know about his health issues and that everything was just bad luck.

Lance George
03-16-2012, 04:08 AM
From another forum...

Greg Oden - ready to move on • Ckub Blazers (http://www.clubblazers.com/blazers-discussion/greg-oden-ready-move-t4350.html)

What started at as a franchise player with fans going crazy has fizzled to a major bust for Portland fans.

Greg Oden is selling his Portland home and does not want to re-sign with Portland this summer.

He wants a fresh start with another team. http://www.clubblazers.com/images/smilies/frusty.gif

Oden is currently back in Indiana with his folks and friends rehabbing his knee and plans on playing next season with another team (i.e. Miami, LA Lakers, Indiana, Chicago). http://www.clubblazers.com/images/smilies/crying.gif

Source: Oden selling Portland home and set to exit (http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Source-Oden-selling-Portland-home-and-se=1&blockID=669030&feedID=5212)

Chris Haynes, CSNNW.com Trail Blazers Insider (@ChrisBHaynes) (https://twitter.com/#%21/ChrisBHaynes)

Indiana – Greg Oden's tenure as a Portland Trail Blazer appears to be coming to an end.

A source close to the situation has informed CSNNW.com that Oden is in the process of selling his Portland home and has no intentions of returning once he's an unrestricted free agent at season's end.

In fact, the same source said that Oden will indeed resume his playing career and he says “Oden just wants a fresh start” and it has nothing to do with the city of Portland.

Oden is currently out for the year after having his fifth knee surgery since being drafted No. 1 overall in 2007.

In a span of four years, Oden has played in 82 games and averaged 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks per game.

This was being reported Tuesday night, so nearly 48-hours before word got out that Oden was being waived.

Just something moderately interesting to keep an eye on in the next year or so.

Lance George
04-07-2012, 05:50 AM
SLAM ONLINE » Agent: Greg Oden Not Thinking of Retiring from the NBA (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/04/agent-greg-oden-not-thinking-of-retiring-from-the-nba/)

When the Portland Trailblazers parted ways with Greg Oden last month (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/03/report-blazers-waived-greg-oden/), there was speculation around the League that Oden’s career could be over.

Not so, claims his agent (http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Odens-agent-explains-clients-disconnect-=1&blockID=683718&feedID=5212).

Per CSNNW: “The Greg Oden era may be over in Portland but Oden’s agent, Mike Conley, Sr., says don’t be too quick to consider Oden’s career to be over. ‘Everyone is quick to talk bust, but put themselves in his shoes,’ Conley said. ‘He has gone through a lot as a young man and he is continuing to work to get back. For him to come back is going to be a remarkable perseverance on his behalf.’ Having gone through five major knee operations, Conley says Oden’s spirits are high and he’s looking forward to getting back on the court and proving that he can still be a force in this league. Which means, he’s not thinking about calling it quits. ‘No he’s not retiring. The only way that would happen is if he was forced to and I don’t see that happening,’ Conley said. ‘He’s dedicated to making sure he’s back on the court as soon as possible.’

In four seasons, Oden has played in only 82 career games. He’s back in his hometown in Indiana and is still immobile on crutches. If rehabilitation goes as planned, he could be ready to play by early next year. The Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers – to name a few – have been rumored to have interest in the unrestricted free agent big man. When asked if Oden would consider re-signing with the Trail Blazers if an offer was presented, Conley said, ‘There’s a possibility. Obviously, that decision is up to the Blazers, but my job as his agent is to find him the best offer out there on the market. Absolutely, no way in the world is the answer no.’ Conley did say that he hasn’t heard anything from the Trail Blazers indicating that they’re interested in his client’s services.”

Steagles
04-07-2012, 08:09 AM
I hope he comes home on a minimal deal. He can be so good, but only if he's healthy. This is why Indiana is a better choice, because he'll have less of a responsibility on the court as he would come off the bench, meaning a greater chance to stay healthy. The moment he steps off the bus in Miami, he is automatically the best big man they have.

Brad8888
04-07-2012, 10:50 AM
[img]Jim Carrey Clip Dumb and Dumber/[img]

So, Conley is saying there's a chance?

ksuttonjr76
04-07-2012, 11:46 AM
He's still on crutches???? Wow.

BlueNGold
04-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Oden has good memories of Indiana and that should help. This is also a team on the rise. With Hibbert, he also will not feel the pressure to perform immediately. With his family around him and him being familiar with Indianapolis, this is the perfect situation for him.

Sparhawk
04-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Oden has good memories of Indiana and that should help. This is also a team on the rise. With Hibbert, he also will not feel the pressure to perform immediately. With his family around him and him being familiar with Indianapolis, this is the perfect situation for him.

And he wouldn't have to play many minutes. I think key for Oden is to come in and play 10-15 max. No back to back games. Just come in and provide some D.

Pacersalltheway10
04-07-2012, 01:16 PM
The Blazers would have been a dynasty if Oden and Roy could have stayed healthy.

clownskull
04-07-2012, 06:02 PM
I agree with this. We're not using a roster spot or limit our options but we should help the guy.

i wouldn't be opposed to the possibility of making an offer. something like a 2 year minimum deal with the 2nd year a team option.
anyway, i like the guy and all however, i think he probably has enough money and connections to be able to help himself just fine.

croz24
04-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Signing Oden is a chance we must take if we have any plans of ever winning a title. Does a hurt Oden help us? Of course not. But IF he ever regained any sort of health and got back to his high school/O$U playing weight, he's a piece that helps you win titleS.

ksuttonjr76
04-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Signing Oden is a chance we must take if we have any plans of ever winning a title. Does a hurt Oden help us? Of course not. But IF he ever regained any sort of health and got back to his high school/O$U playing weight, he's a piece that helps you win titleS.

Nah...he'll help us win more games, but I don't believe he's the piece for Indiana to start winning titles outright. You sure do have an obsession in believing that certain oft-injury players are the keys to us winning a championship.

xBulletproof
04-08-2012, 10:24 AM
People get a bit ahead of themselves. Even with Oden and Brandon Roy Portland is a good team capable of winning a title or two. Not a dynasty. A healthy Oden doesn't win us multiple titles immediately either.

The legend of Greg Oden will be 10x bigger than he ever could have been, around here anyway.

jeffg-body
04-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I sure hope we would get several doctor opinions on the health of Oden's knees. If he can be cleared and is considered healthy I would love to see us get him with a 2 year contract at the minimum salary. Like someone else said, the second being a team option. If he could stay healthy he would be a nice addition off of the bench behind Roy.

croz24
04-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Nah...he'll help us win more games, but I don't believe he's the piece for Indiana to start winning titles outright. You sure do have an obsession in believing that certain oft-injury players are the keys to us winning a championship.

It's the fact that the "oft-injured" players with superstar potential are really the only options we have left at winning a title. Big name guys have never and likely will never come here. Our organization is against tanking. We tend to wait 5 years too long before we finally deal a player. We will not win a title unless we take a chance on one of these 23 or 25 year old "oft injured" players. My obsession is in winning our first NBA title, and playing it safe like we've done for so long won't get us there.

And yes, a healthy Greg Oden would go a long way to helping us win a title. Odds are about 5% he ever regains that health, but we ought to take the chance.

croz24
04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
People get a bit ahead of themselves. Even with Oden and Brandon Roy Portland is a good team capable of winning a title or two. Not a dynasty. A healthy Oden doesn't win us multiple titles immediately either.

The legend of Greg Oden will be 10x bigger than he ever could have been, around here anyway.

3 straight state titles, then leading O$U to the championship game where he dominated the likes of Horford, Noah, Speights, and Richard with 25pts 12reb 4blks playing with his left hand all season... Even as a pro and never being 100%, his per 36 numbers are 15ppg 12rpg 2.5bpg on 58% shooting. Again, that's never being healthy. No, he likely will never gain that health, especially if he keeps all that weight on him, but IF he ever did, he could very well be the key cog to a title. Thus, we need to take the chance.

mattie
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
If Oden ever gets healthy to play again, like Grant Hill eventually did, he'll be nothing more than a quality role player- just like Hill.

croz24
04-08-2012, 12:57 PM
If Oden ever gets healthy to play again, like Grant Hill eventually did, he'll be nothing more than a quality role player- just like Hill.

Hill also didn't fully recover until the age of 34, so of course he was nothing more than a very good role player by that point. We're also comparing a small forward to the most impactful position on the floor, center.

He did play 67 games in 04-05, in between years where he played only 20 games, where he put up 20ppg. I'd love to have a role player averaging that for my team ;-)

Eleazar
04-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Once he is fully recovered from his latest procedures, I would be more than willing to sign him to a minimum deal as the 5th or 6th big man. I would have absolutely have no expectations for him, but if he was somehow able to stay healthy he would be an exceptional back-up center.

Knucklehead Warrior
04-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Here's a story I tell my out of state relatives about GO.

When he was still in HS, I opened up the Star to the sports section one Saturday morning. Down in the corner, I noticed "Oden" and "18". It flashed through my mind that GO had scored 18 pts last night. But that didn't strike me as headline-worthy, so I considered what else it could be before I read the rest of the headline and the story.

Rebounds? 18 is a helluva lot of rebounds for a hs kid, but then he's GO, so I'm sure he could of done it. 18 rebounds is pretty darned rare even in a 48 minute NBA game. It could be rebounds, it must be rebounds, what else could it be?

So I decide to read the article. It was EIGHTEEN BLOCKED SHOTS!

Peck
04-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Here is the question though. Would you be willing to let Lou walk and sign Oden?

It might be high risk high reward instead of low risk low reward.

Now on the other hand I would be willing to enterain the idea of keeping Lou at the 4/5 and seeing what you can get for Tyler.

speakout4
04-08-2012, 03:02 PM
If we can carry Pendergraph we can afford to take a chance on Oden, a legitimate center. Of course we could revisit Solomon Jones.

Definitely we keep Lou who can play the 4 and 5.

vnzla81
04-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah great plan, let's get Oden, EJ and why not also take a chance on Broy? Championship Baby!!!! :dance:

And to make it even a better "dynasty" I think we should go after JO :lmao:

speakout4
04-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah great plan, let's get Oden, EJ and why not also take a chance on Broy? Championship Baby!!!! :dance:

And to make it even a better "dynasty" I think we should go after JO :lmao:
Not even a close analogy.

PR07
04-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Sure, why not? Even if he could just play a few minutes, block some shots, and rebound, he'd be a nice backup center.

Dece
04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Can someone remind me what Oden has ever done in this league? I mean this one, the NBA?

I don't recall doing well in high school ever mattering in the NBA. Similarly, we have the best college player of all time on our roster, he's dominant, right? Even when he did play he never did anything particularly amazing. 15/12 per 36 cool... also he fouls out per 36 so good luck with that.

Don't get me wrong, "what could have been," is right... MAYBE he would have ended up great. Maybe he woulda been just been another high draft big who was ok. This legend of Oden thing where he was some surefire hall of famer who got ruined is ridiculous.

Eleazar
04-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Can someone remind me what Oden has ever done in this league? I mean this one, the NBA?

I don't recall doing well in high school ever mattering in the NBA. Similarly, we have the best college player of all time on our roster, he's dominant, right? Even when he did play he never did anything particularly amazing. 15/12 per 36 cool... also he fouls out per 36 so good luck with that.

Don't get me wrong, "what could have been," is right... MAYBE he would have ended up great. Maybe he woulda been just been another high draft big who was ok. This legend of Oden thing where he was some surefire hall of famer who got ruined is ridiculous.

22mpg 7.3rpg 1.4blk(2.3 2nd season) 9.4ppg

No one should question his ability, he would have been a star in this league if he could stay health. That is the only question will he ever be healthy. In my opinion for league minimum with him being the 5th big man I think it would be worth the risk. It would be no different than if he was a Pendergraph or S. Jones except if he was able to stay healthy to receive playing time he could actually contribute to the team. At worst he is just another Pendergraph or Jones and we have 4 other big men we can trust to give use 20+ minutes of good solid play every night.

OlBlu
04-08-2012, 06:01 PM
22mpg 7.3rpg 1.4blk(2.3 2nd season) 9.4ppg

No one should question his ability, he would have been a star in this league if he could stay health. That is the only question will he ever be healthy. In my opinion for league minimum with him being the 5th big man I think it would be worth the risk. It would be no different than if he was a Pendergraph or S. Jones except if he was able to stay healthy to receive playing time he could actually contribute to the team. At worst he is just another Pendergraph or Jones and we have 4 other big men we can trust to give use 20+ minutes of good solid play every night.

Why would he take the league minimum? If he rehabs by the start of training camps next year, a contender will pay him a lot more than that. Can you say, Miami? Why do most Pacer fans believe the rest of the NBA are idiots? :cool:

Pingu
04-08-2012, 06:18 PM
All this talk is meaningless till Oden gets back to a basketball court, and there doesn't seem be any sign that this will happen in the near future.

And if we just want a center that's too banged up to play to sit in a suit next to Larry, we already have Jeff Foster for that.

Eleazar
04-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Why would he take the league minimum? If he rehabs by the start of training camps next year, a contender will pay him a lot more than that. Can you say, Miami? Why do most Pacer fans believe the rest of the NBA are idiots? :cool:

I don't, but if anyone was willing to pay much more than minimum I would have no interest. I'm just trying to outline the only situation where I would be ok with signing him.

LA_Confidential
04-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Why waste money on this dude when we can just draft someone or trade the pick for someone who is not the walking wounded. :confused:

Steagles
04-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Why waste money on this dude when we can just draft someone or trade the pick for someone who is not the walking wounded. :confused:

Because he needs the Pacers more than vice versa. At a minimum contract, the worst he can be is a reserve who isn't dressed if hurt.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Bball
04-08-2012, 10:53 PM
If the NBA didn't have salary caps and guaranteed contracts then taking a chance on damaged goods might be worth the risk. But I don't see it here. Even if Oden can get back to the court what are the odds his best basketball is in front of him..or even anything close to where he once was? ...How could the injuries and surgeries not have robbed him of the things that made him a top prospect in the first place?

Somebody might roll the dice and come up big... but the odds are they will come up snake eyes. ...IMHO...

speakout4
04-09-2012, 07:55 PM
If the NBA didn't have salary caps and guaranteed contracts then taking a chance on damaged goods might be worth the risk. But I don't see it here. Even if Oden can get back to the court what are the odds his best basketball is in front of him..or even anything close to where he once was? ...How could the injuries and surgeries not have robbed him of the things that made him a top prospect in the first place?

Somebody might roll the dice and come up big... but the odds are they will come up snake eyes. ...IMHO...
He doesn't have to be great just better than what else is available at the league minimun. He may want to be here in Indy because he knows that he has a fan base here. It's a good situation for us to take advantage of.

cdash
04-09-2012, 08:07 PM
He doesn't have to be great just better than what else is available at the league minimun. He may want to be here in Indy because he knows that he has a fan base here. It's a good situation for us to take advantage of.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. I sincerely doubt Oden can ever be healthy for an extended period of time, but for the veteran's minimum there is no risk whatsoever. If he wants to be here and is willing to sign with us for peanuts, then why not bring him in?

docpaul
04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Who would you prefer on the bench... Fesenko, or Oden?

Even though I've liked Fesenko for quite some time now, I think it's pretty obvious who the better alternative is.

shags
04-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Who would you prefer on the bench... Fesenko, or Oden?

Even though I've liked Fesenko for quite some time now, I think it's pretty obvious who the better alternative is.

Yeah, it is obvious. For this season. Kyrylo Fesenko.

Because Greg Oden has about as much of a chance of contributing to the Pacers as you and I do.

docpaul
04-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, it is obvious. For this season. Kyrylo Fesenko.

Because Greg Oden has about as much of a chance of contributing to the Pacers as you and I do.

Are you just trying to be difficult? :) Do you think anyone is suggesting that a player that is clearly out for this season is being considered... this year... for a bench slot?

Everyone here is clearly talking about whether he's worth a flier once he's cleared to play.

PR07
04-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Oden is far more talented than your average third string center. It's worth rolling the dice. Even if his game hasn't progressed any since college, he should at least be able to be somewhat of a defensive presence at his size. Worse case scenario, his style tastes aren't as savvy as Pendergraph's in a suit and tie.

indygeezer
04-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Are you just trying to be difficult? :) Do you think anyone is suggesting that a player that is clearly out for this season is being considered... this year... for a bench slot?

Everyone here is clearly talking about whether he's worth a flier once he's cleared to play.

Once he is cleared to play, there will be a line of teams trying to sign him to a cheap 1-2-3 year deal....just in case. This is the league that pays untold millions to untried college dropouts so why not a flier on a guy that has shown he can do it if healthy?

Eleazar
04-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Once he is cleared to play, there will be a line of teams trying to sign him to a cheap 1-2-3 year deal....just in case. This is the league that pays untold millions to untried college dropouts so why not a flier on a guy that has shown he can do it if healthy?

No one said it would be a sure thing we would be able to get him for league minimum, but if we could it would be worth the risk.