PDA

View Full Version : Explain Standings

beezer615
03-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Can ANYONE explain this to me? Why, with a better winning percentage, less games lost, less games back, we are ranked below Philly?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30432469/Screen%20Shot%202012-03-15%20at%2012.27.45%20PM.png

Unclebuck
03-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Sixers lead their division. Pacers do not.

Regardless though if the Pacers play the Sixers in the playoffs the team with the better record gets homecourt.

naptownmenace
03-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Regardless though if the Pacers play the Sixers in the playoffs the team with the better record gets homecourt.

If I'm understanding this right, the real negative about this is that the Pacers could wind up no higher than 4th and have to play a 5th seeded team like Orlando or Atlanta - teams they don't match up well with instead of being able to play a 6th seeded team.

Pig Nash
03-15-2012, 03:54 PM
No they can be third if they finish with a better record than Orlando.

Isaac
03-15-2012, 03:58 PM
The three division leaders plus the one "wild card" make up the top four seeds. This was changed to allow two teams from the same division to be the top two seeds after Dallas had the second best record in the west, but got the 4th seed due to finishing behind San Antonio. In other words, we will either be 3rd or 5th this year.

Will Galen
03-15-2012, 03:59 PM
If I'm understanding this right, the real negative about this is that the Pacers could wind up no higher than 4th and have to play a 5th seeded team like Orlando or Atlanta - teams they don't match up well with instead of being able to play a 6th seeded team.

The Pacers can get the third seed. I think it's between us and Orlando. Philly would be considered the 4th seed.

As it is I think they will be passed by Boston.

Lance George
03-15-2012, 04:18 PM

That doesn't make sense considering there are only three divisions per-conference. If what you're saying is factual, Philly would be 3rd, ahead of the non-division-leading Magic, too.

My guess is the default standings are sorted by win column, rather than winning percentage, and Philly somehow ended up above us because of it.

Lance George
03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
The three division leaders plus the one "wild card" make up the top four seeds. This was changed to allow two teams from the same division to be the top two seeds after Dallas had the second best record in the west, but got the 4th seed due to finishing behind San Antonio. In other words, we will either be 3rd or 5th this year.

This looks like it.

The team that has the best record in each of the three divisions in each conference is declared division champion. The three champions, and another team in the conference with the best record, are seeded one through four by their records.

So the top-four seeds are the three division leaders, and the non-division-leader with the best record (Orlando), sorted by record. That's why division-leader Philly is ahead of us, but not Orlando.

naptownmenace
03-15-2012, 05:10 PM
This looks like it.

So the top-four seeds are the three division leaders, and the non-division-leader with the best record (Orlando), sorted by record. That's why division-leader Philly is ahead of us, but not Orlando.

Actually, Philly and Orlando are ahead of us. Orlando is 28-16 and the Pacers are 25-16. However the rest of your post explains it very well. Thanks.

I wouldn't be happy about a first round meeting with the Magic especially since I expect them to go on a run now that Dwight has committed to them for the rest of the season and next season as well. As long as the Pacers can avoid slipping to 6th, they should have a great chance to win a first round matchup against Philly, Boston, or Atlanta.

Phree Refill
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
I would be fine finishing the season in the 5th spot IF Philly stays 4th AND we finish with a better record than them. As UB mentioned, we'd still get home court in that series even though we were the lower seed. I think I'd rather play Philly in the first round over Boston, New York or Atlanta. It also would put us on the same side of the bracket as Chicago (assuming they hold on to #1). If given the choice to face Miami or Chicago in the second round I'd rather play Chicago.

TheDavisBrothers
03-15-2012, 07:09 PM
I would be fine finishing the season in the 5th spot IF Philly stays 4th AND we finish with a better record than them. As UB mentioned, we'd still get home court in that series even though we were the lower seed. I think I'd rather play Philly in the first round over Boston, New York or Atlanta. It also would put us on the same side of the bracket as Chicago (assuming they hold on to #1). If given the choice to face Miami or Chicago in the second round I'd rather play Chicago.

That's exactly my thoughts (except I wouldn't mind playing either Boston or Philly)

Day-V
03-15-2012, 07:29 PM
The 3 division leaders/winners are guaranteed a top 4 spot. The best 2nd place record division-wise is the 4th team. Those 4 are then ranked by record.

Home court is not guaranteed. If the 4th place team is a division leader (Like Philly), and the 5th place team has a better record (like us), the 5th place team gets home court advantage.