PDA

View Full Version : What thing has impressed you most about this years Pacer team

Unclebuck
02-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Please don't say 39-14 impresses you most.

I want to know what part of the pacers game impresses you most.

Coaching, offense, rebounding, defense, bench, or name an individual player.

What impresses me most through the first 53 games, the first 2/3 of the season: The Pacers mental toughness.

I was really concerned about the Pacers mental toughness before this season but with vastly better coaching and the natural maturity of the players the Pacers are much tougher than last year

Mental toughness shows up in fewer technicals, in winning close games, and in rarely ever getting blown out., oh and in winning road games

Look how many times the Pacers have been blown out this season.

At Lakers, at Minnesota, those are the only two games where the Pacers did not have a chance in the 4th quarter to pull the game out. The home game with Bucks the Pacers trailed the whole game, but they did get the deficit down to 7 in the 4th and the home loss to the Nets the Pacers were down big early in the 4th but the pacers got it down to 3.

I also love the physical toughness and effort the Pacers play with almost every game. Credit the coaching staff and the effort J.O, and Artest bring every night, that rubs off on the other players.

ABADays
02-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Gosh UB - there are just so many. I guess I would have to say the way they play as a TEAM!

Hicks
02-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Their overall maturity. Their poise. Their defense. Their offensive execution. Oh, and out-doing last year's great first half is nice. :)

And a very important thing is I'm CONFIDENT in this team again. Confident in a way that I haven't felt since the Bird teams. I expect us to win every night anymore. The only times I feel like there's a good chance we'll lose is under special circumstances (injuries, or I can smell a letdown), or a healthy Lakers team. And of course the other West teams must be respected along with Detroit and New Jersey.

But overall, I really feel we're the best in the East, and one of the best in the league. I'm starting to believe. To believe that, without letdowns, we can WIN this conference, and truly compete for a title. This team has given me hope again.

And it's important not to overlook this outstanding coaching staff, which I believe is the catalyst for almost all of our achievement this year next to our best players. They are the spear head of all of this. They do excellent work.

Southside_Pacer
02-10-2004, 11:23 PM
The coaching has really impressed me. They've installed a certain attitude with the players, and Rick doesn't ever get too rattled. I love the way he uses timeouts to calm players down, and his defense first mentality.

Our road record also impresses the heck out of me and you gotta credit the staff for their gameplans and the players for executing them.

MSA2CF
02-10-2004, 11:29 PM
The amount of dunks I see us making per game is astounding.

I never thought I'd get to see the amount of slams in a season that I have.

Keep it up Pacers!

beast23
02-10-2004, 11:32 PM
The coaching has really impressed me. They've installed a certain attitude with the players, and Rick doesn't ever get too rattled. I love the way he uses timeouts to calm players down, and his defense first mentality.

Our road record also impresses the heck out of me and you gotta credit the staff for their gameplans and the players for executing them.
I echo those comments completely.

I believe the biggest difference is the quality of the coaching staff.

In addition to SP's comments, I also like our clock management much better this season than under Thomas. The players don't get rattled, even though the clock is winding down. How many times have you see one of our players take and hit a shot with a second or less left on the shot clock? I'd guess maybe 3-4 times a game on average. Last year, those possesions would have ended in shot clock violations.

I believe the players are much more comfortable having a pretty good feeling for how and when they will be used throughout the game. Last year, beyond the top 6 players, players 7-12 didn't have a clue how or if they would be used during a game.

Slick Pinkham
02-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Honest to God, the first thing that came to my head to say when I saw the title of this thread, even before I clicked on it,

was MENTAL TOUGHNESS.

You said it all UB.

There have been very few winnable games lost due to poor execution & choke jobs. Last year in the second half, that became almost routine. That is in part due to improved coaching, but in part due to players developing the mental capacity and toughness to execute the same way with a tie score in the 4th quarter as they would do in the opening minute of the game.

Anthem
02-10-2004, 11:37 PM
No whining about about minutes.

ROCislandWarrior
02-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Our ability to win close games and withsand last ditch runs by teams

I guess you could call this "Mental Toughness" because it comes down to playing smart when you have a lead

Unclebuck
02-10-2004, 11:44 PM
You guys are right, the coaching is so much better. And when I say coaching, I credit the entire coaching staff, but of course the head coach sets the tone for the entire team.

I heard Ron Artest on the Bulls radio pregame show tonight, and he said Carlisle treats every player the same, the rules apply to each and every player and that has really helped the team. Ronnie said no one gets special treatment and everyone knows their role.

I firmly believe a team takes on the personality of the head coach, it happens each and every season no matter who the coach is.

It is no accident that last years team played hard, but were very inconsistant in every possible way and that was in large part due to Isiah and his personality and the way he coached the team.

This years team is steady and their effort is as consistant as it can be

Arcadian
02-10-2004, 11:58 PM
When I saw the title of the thread I thought 39-14.

But I'd say consistancy. It seems like we now what each player is going to get and how they are going to contribute each game. Part of that is the rotation but I think a lot of it is the players themselves taking thier games to a more professional level.

This group isn't a just a talented mix anymore it seems that there is a cohesion and purpose to thier play now--something that I think marked the Bird era teams.

ChicagoJ
02-11-2004, 12:28 PM
All these things add up, and we're now viewed as a "veteran team".

That's right, Ron, Al, Jermaine, Jamaal, etc. are playing like smart, tough veterans. And if management is smart, these guys are together, happy, and contenders for another decade.

pacerchic
02-11-2004, 12:42 PM
I like the team defense concept....the rotations and intensity is just incredible (most of the team).

I think we seem more prepared to play.

A more consistent rotation and gameplan. I think everyone knows what they're supposed to do versus changing with each team we play.

I also agree with whomever said that we are in a position to win almost every game.

Less whining to the officials. no easily rattled. confidence in each other. more sharing....I could go on and on. They have nearly made a believer out of me. After what happened last year, I may not be a believer until the last game of the season. ;)

Roy Munson
02-11-2004, 01:18 PM
No whining about about minutes.

I agree with this.

And I think it is because the Pacers are so darn well organized. Barring injuries, the rotation is consistent and players know what their roles are and what to expect. And what is expected of them. There are few surprises.

and that boils down to EXCELLENT coaching.

naptownmenace
02-11-2004, 01:27 PM
The defense has impressed me most of all.

I expected the Pacers to be better because of the addition of Assistants Mike Brown and Ron Rothstein. However, I would've never guessed that they would be able to absolutely shut people down the way that they do.

Artest has been pretty impressive as well. His toughness and consistency is a God-send.

Unclebuck
02-11-2004, 02:00 PM
This current coaching staff makes it look easy. Like anyone could be a good coach. but we all know very well from the past three years that it is not easy.

The thing I love watching the most is when the Pacers defense turns it up a notch. Their defense is is almost always good, but in most games there is a stretch of 5 or 6 minutes when they realy get after it. Usually at the start of the 3rd quarter or start of the 4th quarter. There have been more than a few games this season when the opponent has given in to the Pacers defensive pressure. No mas style. we've had enough, they usually get frustrated and then just throw their hands up

ChicagoJ
02-11-2004, 02:05 PM
This current coaching staff makes it look easy. Like anyone could be a good coach. but we all know very well from the past three years that it is not easy.

The thing I love watching the most is when the Pacers defense turns it up a notch. Their defense is is almost always good, but in most games there is a stretch of 5 or 6 minutes when they realy get after it. Usually at the start of the 3rd quarter or start of the 4th quarter. There have been more than a few games this season when the opponent has given in to the Pacers defensive pressure. No mas style. we've had enough, they usually get frustrated and then just throw their hands up

I predicted to Sauveness last night early in the third quarter that Skiles would be ejected by the six-minute-mark of the fourth quarter because we would bury the Bulls in the third quarter and the Bulls would lay down and die by the fourth quarter. Everything happened but the ejection.

Lord Helmet
01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
How things change over one year.....................................
:cry::mad::(

sweabs
01-30-2005, 10:50 PM
This thread really confused me until I saw the date posted.

3ptmiller
01-31-2005, 04:41 AM
Actually nothing has impressed me... but many things have depressed me

Hicks
01-31-2005, 08:17 AM
How people don't even read a thread before responding, I don't now.