PDA

View Full Version : TJ Ford to retire

vnzla81
03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN
After latest neck injury, TJ Ford says he is retiring. More to come.
Retweeted by John Hollinger

MiaDragon
03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Wow, that hit must have done more damage than we thought. Hope he is ok, one of the better Pacers during our dark years.

vnzla81
03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Marc Stein ‏ @ESPNSteinLine
Spurs just announced that T.J. Ford taking indefinite leave from NBA and pondering retirement thanks to longstanding neck/spine issues. Sad

10m Marc J. Spears ‏ @SpearsNBAYahoo
Injury plagued Spurs guard TJ Ford is taking an indefinite leave of absence the rest of the season and is considering retirement.

MyFavMartin
03-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Wish him the best in recovery and health.

Hicks
03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I'd read that he got a stinger the other night. At the time, they made it seem like it was more of a scare than anything serious.

Still, even if that's the case, I can imagine the psychological issues that may have been stirred up by it, and that alone could be enough for him to think to himself, "I've made X million dollars over Y years, why not just call it a day before something bad happens?"

Trader Joe
03-12-2012, 12:15 PM
You also have to remember a stinger for TJ may be much more complicated than a stinger for you or I due to his narrowed spinal canal.

He will always be one of the true "what could have been" stories in basketball. It's a shame his injuries took away the player he was a Texas and his first couple years in Milwaukee.

I'll always remember him as a pro's pro and a guy who had to work very hard to get back on the court.

vnzla81
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Ford: "After last Wednesday, I felt being on the floor and being in that position one too many times. I feel like that was enough for me ..

More Ford: "I played the last five years with doctor’s orders not to play. I still defeated the odds with this condition."

Just to clarify: Spurs release says Ford "taking indefinite leave of absence." Ford himself says his career is over.

RLeWorm
03-12-2012, 12:37 PM
was a good player. if it wasn't for JOB he woulda been more loved.

ksuttonjr76
03-12-2012, 12:45 PM
He got hurt again? Yeah, he might want to retire. The next injury could be the one that paralyzes him for life.

Doddage
03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Good for him. He's doing the smart thing.

PGisthefuture
03-12-2012, 01:14 PM
He had so much potential coming out of college... sad to see him go so soon.

Sandman21
03-12-2012, 01:22 PM
TJ Ford ‏ @tj_ford
It's official " I Retire from the NBA " as of today

TJ Ford ‏ @tj_ford
Thanks to all my fans who follow my career since a kid from all over the world. Basketball has been great to me & my family for 28yrs

Heisenberg
03-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Can't figure out how to embed it, if you even can, but a sort of impromptu presser at Spurs practice today (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2012/03/12/120312fordmov-2032261). Does a good bit of reflecting on his career. Classy guy, going to have a bright future in broadcasting.

joeyd
03-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Was very classy and the epitome of a professional during some dark days for the team. Sad to see him go under these circumstances though, but no sense in risking it.

Sookie
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I was hard on TJ because I only saw him as a Pacer. But by the end of his time here, he proved himself to be an incredibly classy and professional person. And I think that's far more important.

I was hoping the poor play from him was just a result of JOB (and might have been) and I was really rooting for him in San Antonio.

This is really too bad, but completely understandable given his neck/spine injury history.

PacersHomer
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Much respect to TJ. He could've been much better here if we had a real coach, and it's sad that he has to go out this way. Classy player. Good luck to him in his post-NBA career.

Kstat
03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
About 3 neck injuries too late, but can't fault the guy for chasing his dream.

He could have been a very good PG for a long time, but he just didn't have the body to attack the rim like he used to in Milwaukee.

RWB
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
TJ held up pretty good considering. Of note to Manning fans the surgeon for Ford was the same for #18, Robert Watkins.

jeffg-body
03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Too bad it had to be this way for him to retire. He was a consumate professional.

Nuntius
03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm sad for all the injuries that this guy had. Sad he had to retire so early. But it was probably for the best of his health so I can understand it.

Best of luck with your life, TJ!

Anthem
03-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Great news. My fear since we acquired him was that he'd end up with a crippling injury. Glad he gets to leave on his terms. TJ strikes me as the type of guy who's invested his money wisely, and if so he can walk right into his next career and be successful.

ECKrueger
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Definitely glad Ford is not seriously hurt, and can move on now. Sad he doesn't get to play ball any more though.

rock747
03-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Unfortunate that the injury derailed his career, he should just be entering his prime now. I always thought he got a rough shake here. His basketball career is over, but if he managed his money wisely the guy should be able to continue to live a great life.

15th parallel
03-13-2012, 01:52 AM
Too sad and hope TJ will have a better life outside of basketball.

He was one of the player I really wanted to become a Pacer when he was just a draftee. Just a naturally good PG. Just had to deal with a life-threatening injury in his early days. He has been a good player early as a Pacer, if only he got a coach that lets him play his style.

Mr_Smith
03-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Much love and respect to TJ. Loved having him here and he was a team guy no matter what the circumstances were.