PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Ron

rabid
11-14-2004, 10:21 PM
With all the talk about Ron's problems lately, and trade rumors still brewing (yeah right), I've been curious about something.

Who does Ron compare to among NBA players past and present (not counting the personal stuff)? In terms of skill level, playing style, defense, scoring ability etc. I've been trying to think who to compare him to and frankly I'm pretty stumped. There's certainly no one like him playing right now, at least not at his level.

So, honestly, what other players in past or present NBA history are most like Ron Artest?

Unclebuck
11-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Artest is an entirely unique player. No other single player that I have ever seen can do what he can do, the way he does it.

Dr Huxtable
11-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Scottie Pippen is defintley as close as I have seen to Artest.

Anthem
11-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Scotty didn't scare you on D like Ron did. And Ron's O, while still raw, is almost as good as Scotty's at his peak.

Scotty got a lot of mileage from playing with Jordan. Artest is every bit as good by himself.

ChicagoJ
11-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Really? Scottie's defense on Mark Jackson in the 1998 ECFs was devastating. In fact, that was the only time in his career where I was impressed with Pippen. Especially Games #1 and #2. I thought we were facing a four-game sweep before we got it back to MSA and Reggie's heroics evened the series up.

Unclebuck
11-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Really? Scottie's defense on Mark Jackson in the 1998 ECFs was devastating. In fact, that was the only time in his career where I was impressed with Pippen. Especially Games #1 and #2. I thought we were facing a four-game sweep before we got it back to MSA and Reggie's heroics evened the series up.

And Travis Best started playing more minutes.

ChicagoJ
11-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, the thing that really p!$$ed me off during the games in Chicago was that the Davis brothers just let Pippen physically abuse Jackson without any retribution.

You'd think, since neither one of them ever put a body on Kukoc, that they would've been dying to hit somebody. Just smash him once on a blindsided backscreen. :mad: Hey, there's a time and place for flagrant fouls: Oakley would've set the screen *with* a forearm shiver. In the ECFs, that works for me. :devil:

rabid
11-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Not to take away from Scottie but the refs let him completely maul Jackson with his "full-court press" bearhug defense during games 1 and 2 of that series (Pippen admitted as much after the series if I remember correctly).

But Scottie is not too bad of a comparison...

I think it's illustrative of just how good Ron is that we're having such a hard time thinking of other players to compare him to (Pippen will likely be in the Hall of Fame, btw...)

MagicRat
11-15-2004, 12:16 AM
Larry took care of Scottie's mauling D with some well placed words to the press......

Anthem
11-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Yeah, Pippen on Jackson wasn't exactly Pippen's finest moment... the refs didn't just look the other way, they looked right at Jax. I remember several offensive fouls that defied belief.

EDIT: I mean times the refs called Jackson for offensive fouls against Pippen.

I lost respect for Pippen in that series, but I also wanted Bird to change his strategy earlier. It became obvious that they were saving Michael on D by putting him against Mully, who did nothing for the series. We should have gone to Jalen or McKey and sat Chris for the series.

Suaveness
11-15-2004, 02:57 AM
There is absolutely no one who is like Ron, his play style on D and O is simply amazing.

Hollandia
11-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Can I say "Ron revolutionized the small forward position"?

;)

skyfire
11-15-2004, 09:50 AM
I think Pippen would possibly be the closest comparison but their games still differ by a fair bit. Ron is much more of a postup offensive game while Pippen was a point forward. Ron is a truly unique player and I think his maturing process will not be as smooth as some people were hoping after his positive steps pre-ECF.

McKeyFan
11-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Ron's offense reminds me a little bit of Adrian Dantley. Drew a lot of fouls, started around 14 to 18 feet out, and grinded and grinded closer to the basket until he flipped it in or shot free throws. And, a lot of 3 point plays after getting fouled.

On D: How bout Michael Cooper?