PDA

View Full Version : What we SHOULD think

joeyd
03-11-2012, 09:35 PM
We were not supposed to be a #3 seed this season. Nor a #4 seed. We were supposed to be a young team that is putting its pieces together, and we still are.

We were, and still are, considered to be a works-in-progress. This pertains to the players as well as the coaching staff, that is still on the learning curve.

Beating the teams that we should beat is something that we did not do last year. This is a big improvement for this year. Roy not fouling out of games is a huge improvement. The additions of D. West and Hill are a big development.

Let's stop blaming scheduling. Let's approach things with logic and rational thought.

I don't like watching blowouts either, and I would have hoped that the team could compete at a high level every game, but with this team, it's not likely to happen. And in the big scheme of things, it doesn't matter. Yet.

Here's why it doesn't matter YET. Bird and Vogel have insights into this team that we do not have. They see things we do not see. They certainly know that there really is not much of a difference between a #3 seed and a #6 seed in the Eastern Conference. Why? Because there likely will not be a huge spread in the W-L column between #3 and #6, but more importantly, the gap between both the #3 and #6 teams and the #1 and #2 teams (Miami/Chicago or vice versa) is huge. Neither the #3 or #6 team will beat those two teams. So...in the big picture of things, there are still pieces of the puzzle that are missing. When those pieces are in place, and we have eliminated all of the cap space.....well, then if we are still getting blown out by 20 points, to anyone, and not challenging for the second seed (meaning reaching the ECF), then I will wonder what we should be thinking (as per the title of one of the previously-created threads).

This team overachieved in the first half of the season. It's great to have high expectations. I have high expectations of my students and the teammates on my intramural team, but one also has to be reasonable. We have a good team (not great---and it really wasn't even in the first half of the season).

So, I think we should enjoy the season, support the team during the highs and lows (there will still be many of each in the coming weeks), and I'll see you in the playoffs, during which we will all be ecstatic that we will be experiencing more highs and lows into May.

(Oh, and to reflect my pensive mood, I have briefly changed my avatar to a pensive Dr. Zauis. Enjoy!)

BlueNGold
03-11-2012, 10:02 PM
One of the nicer posts I've read on here in awhile. We do need to look at things objectively and recognize this team has improved. George Hill and David West are guys we could only dream of having back in the Troy Murphy and injured MDJ years.

Even with Roy frustrating us, I do believe he's a little better than last year. He is not playing well at the moment, but he's had a good year so far...and he'll turn it around. He is averaging 9.5 boards a game and we thought he'd never be a rebounder....and his FG% is up from last year...definitely keeping on his feet better.

Paul George is clearly a better player this year and his future remains bright.

Tyler has taken a step back, but DC has taken a step forward.

All things considered, we are a much better team with better quality depth. No more Troy Murphy and James Posey launching 3's. No more soft MDJ "defense". Granger is taking more "man" shots instead of impersonating MDJ. I like the direction of the team and I expect us to pick up other pieces as we improve further.

Combine all of this with the fact this team has never had a preseason to work on plays and hone things, I think we're in pretty good shape.

joeyd
03-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Combine all of this with the fact this team has never had a preseason to work on plays and hone things, I think we're in pretty good shape.

You raised some good points that I did not consider. Again, more reasons to remember why it's important to keep things in perspective.

About Tyler...he doesn't seem to be the same person, and I seem to remember the change occurring when he suffered that eye injury earlier this season. Although it's not like he is gunshy. He still gets right in the scums.

joeyd
03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
I think it's interesting that there are so many pessimistic and "sky-is-falling" type of replies being made to some threads, yet so few responses to Able's Chill Pill thread and this thread, where there is the extension of the "voice-of-reason" olive branch, so to speak, to diminish the chasm between those with expectations that are too lofty and those that feel we are where we are supposed to be and where most people predicted we would be at the start of the season.

I am beginning to wish that we didn't have such a great start to the season. Being just a few games over .500 at the All-star break might have decreased the pressure on the team, and made it shoot for loftier goals in the second half. There is added pressure now to maintain the record or even improve it over the balance of the season, and these IMO are unfair expectations for this team.

Hicks
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
The less we resemble the 90's Bulls or the early 2000's Lakers, the more people there will be who are going to find more things to ***** about.

imbtyler
03-12-2012, 12:39 PM
As disappointed as I was to find out the scores (and performances of players) of the Heat and Magic games, I was mostly just impressed that we took the Heat into overtime, and lost by a buzzerbeater. Last night, we apparently got our asses handed to us (figuratively speaking, as I'm not a Pacer, nor did my *** personally get whooped last night), and lost by 13. But Paul George had a significantly impressive game, and I, like some others on here, believe in the schedule loss concept, so I just expect most of the team to be tired. We played the second-best team in the East, and took them into overtime, getting the loss circumstantially (DC typically makes errors, and you can't stop DWade). I'm not worried.

Unclebuck
03-12-2012, 02:54 PM

I am not really buying the excuse at this point in the season. Every team is in the same situation, so there is no advantage there. Plus Vogel himself said they have added quite a bit of offense over the past few weeks (they've had a lot of practice time) so I don't think blaming a lack of preseason is applicable at this point.

I think just beyond the midway point of this season is the same as just beyond the midway point of any season as far as installing the offense.