PDA

View Full Version : Well not sure what to think.

MiaDragon
03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
One game we look legit, like we can actually play good ball. The very next game we look like a D league squad who doesn't care and just gliding through the motions. I don't get it. Who's to blame here, the players, Frank, or Larry?

Was the good basketball at the beginning of the year an anomaly? A combination of playing bad teams and teams not adjusting to what we brought to the floor or was it something else? I don't think so.

The beginning of the season we played fundamental basket ball. Boxing out, crashing the boards and excellent defense and hustle a lot of hustle. Just good solid basketball, those were to good ole' days. We simply don't do this anymore.

Now who's fault it this? IMO Frank needs to shoulder a large part of the blame here. You're the man at the helm, you cant make someone hit their shots but you can sure as hell make sure they play fundamental ball, or they can have a seat on the bench. Ive got more to add but do not have the time at the moment.

Aw Heck
03-11-2012, 08:39 PM
I think the lockout-shortened season is taking its toll. Compressing this many games into a short amount of time can be mentally and physically exhausting.

Vogel can shoulder some of the blame, sure, but you can't coach away fatigue.

Also, I just don't think this team is talented or consistent enough to compete regularly against good teams.

presto123
03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
It's sometimes hard to pinpoint what is Frank's fault and what isn't. Did Frank tell the guys last night to not come off the 3 point line when Lebron burned us or did Granger take it upon himself to come off Lebron?

MiaDragon
03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
I think the lockout-shortened season is taking its toll. Compressing this many games into a short amount of time can be mentally and physically exhausting.

This I understand but EVERYONE is under the same umbrella with that.

You think a full roster/Jeff actually playing would put us in a MUCH better position to compete?

Also, I just don't think this team is talented or consistent enough to compete regularly against good teams.

Sadly this may be fact.

TheDavisBrothers
03-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Every team has to play the condensed schedule, that's a useless excuse...

Aw Heck
03-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I know every team has to play the compressed schedule. I guess what I meant was that our team seems especially unprepared for it. I dunno.

David West is the only consistent player on the team. Granger coasts, George is disappears some games, Hibbert seems to shrink as the season goes on, etc.

The Pacers are just merely a good team.

Sandman21
03-11-2012, 08:56 PM

The Pacers play more b2bs than anyone else in the league.

KingGeorge
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
We will be fine. I think the early success raised everyone's expectations, and now that we have hit a couple of rough patches, we are starting to get worried.

It has hurt the team that we go into a tough stretch of games without any cupcakes in between. I mean (@ Hawks, @ Grizzlies, vs. Nuggets, vs. Miami) is very tough and (@ Bulls, vs. Hawks, @ Miami, @ Magic) is even tougher.

That isn't an excuse for the way we have been playing, but basketball is a game of emotion and it hurts when you have little confidence.

This team is still very good and I'm sure if anyone told us we would be 23-16 right now before the season, we would be very happy.

April is a very easy schedule with mostly all home games, so hopefully we can get our swagger back and make some noise in the playoffs.

Kid Minneapolis
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Still a young team. Hell, this time last year, Vogel was just stepping in as an interim. People need to be patient, this is typical bumps and bruises and lulls of a young team.

Ace E.Anderson
03-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Considering the level of talent on this team, and the lack consistency in which our team has seemed to always play with; maybe we shouldn't be too surprised. Maybe we really are just a mediocre team that should be hovering around .500. Wasn't that most of our predictions for this team before the season?

Ugh, following our initial early season success, it sucks that this is where we are currently.

TheDon
03-11-2012, 10:15 PM
The stretch in April against easier competition actually worries me more. I want to see us beat a good team. We haven't seen that in a long while. We've seen what the Pacers can do against .500 or lower competition, now we need to prove we belong. We won't be facing any sub .500 team in the playoffs. As much as we can hang our hat on a young upstart team that gave the Bulls all they could handle last season in the playoffs. I worry that the Pacers will get a higher seed and homecourt advantage and end up getting embarassed in the playoffs. Which with the way attendance is for us, is the absolute last thing that this franchise needs.

Hicks
03-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Getting mad at this team for not being as good as the elite teams (Chicago, Miami, OKC) is as much a waste of time as being mad at 15 year old for not having graduated high school yet.

I don't expect a freshman-aged child to be ready to get his diploma any more than I expect this roster to be ready to be an elite team. They need more than they already have, and the only way that changes is through growth (which takes time) or veteran additions (which takes more moves from the front office).

Until at least one of those two things advances, getting mad about not being elite is a waste of time.

I'll get plenty mad if I feel like they are starting to play consistently sub-par basketball for an extended period of time, but not a moment sooner. As it is, we're still a pro-.500 team that was taking care of business against inferior opponents, and then has been up and down against equal or superior opponents. That's pretty much what I would expect from a good, not great, basketball team like the 2012 Pacers.

xIndyFan
03-11-2012, 11:07 PM

useless excuse, but sometimes an accurate explaination.

tonight was a direct result of coming too close last night. too many guys played too many minutes, too emotional a loss, too young a team. this falls into the stuff happens category.

life goes on, get ready for portland. that is what to think.

Noodle
03-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Well, I still believe Hibbert is a crutch, but I won't go there because the last time I did Hicks suspended me. :devil:

TheDavisBrothers
03-11-2012, 11:22 PM
useless excuse, but sometimes an accurate explaination.

tonight was a direct result of coming too close last night. too many guys played too many minutes, too emotional a loss, too young a team. this falls into the stuff happens category.

life goes on, get ready for portland. that is what to think.

Yea and what I'm saying is that "stuff" happens to every single team in the league

Sookie
03-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Yea and what I'm saying is that "stuff" happens to every single team in the league

right, and every single team in the league - including the elite ones - have games like this.

TheDavisBrothers
03-12-2012, 12:00 AM
right, and every single team in the league - including the elite ones - have games like this.

and I fully understand that, what I was trying to say is that "stuff" like that happens to every team EQUALLY, every team can use that reasoning for a specific game, but you can't use that reasoning as a blanket reason for the whole season

PR07
03-12-2012, 12:01 AM
We are young, and we aren't quite elite. However, 5 rebounds total from our starting frontcourt? Somehow, this team has gone from smashmouth to cupcake.

Eleazar
03-12-2012, 04:12 AM
and I fully understand that, what I was trying to say is that "stuff" like that happens to every team EQUALLY, every team can use that reasoning for a specific game, but you can't use that reasoning as a blanket reason for the whole season

Theoretically maybe, but reality isn't always as simple. Depending on many different factors one team may react to the condensed season more negatively than another team. Some of these factors are completely unpreventable, and unknowable before this kind of season happens. Some players bodies who might hold up just fine during a normal season might suffer from a greater amount of fatigue than a similar player on another team. Stuff does happen, but stuff is not an equal opportunity employer.

xtacy
03-12-2012, 05:38 AM
i'm not trying to start anything here but i'm utterly sick and tired of hearing the word fatigue. lamest excuse ever.

aren't these guys professional athletes and getting paid to be ready to play every game?

i know there are schedule losses in this league but that doesn't explain what we are going through right now.