PDA

View Full Version : 3-on-3 preview: Pacers at Heat

Hibbert
03-10-2012, 07:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/12896/3-on-3-preview-pacers-at-heat-730-p-m-et

1. Fact of Fiction: The Pacers aren't in the same class as Miami and Chicago.

Haberstroh: Fact. But there's still plenty of room for growth before playoff time. David West, Paul George, Tyler Hansbrough and Danny Granger haven't hit anywhere near their 2011-12 ceiling, which should be unnerving for Chicago and Miami at the very least.

Wallace: Fact. And that's not a knock on the Pacers. They just don't have the overall collection of top-tier talent the Heat have, or the defensive structure and consistency the Bulls possess. But Indy is in that very deep next group of good teams in the East.

Windhorst: Fact. And that is OK. The Pacers haven't had a winning season since 2005 and they are going to probably do it this year. Frank Vogel has only been on the job for a year and the Pacers have gone from an also ran to a quality team. They aren't a refined product like Miami and Chicago yet. They might not admit it publicly, but they know it too.

2. Fact or Fiction: The Pacers need to upgrade their starting five at the deadline.

Haberstroh: Fact. They have bundles of assets and should be big players at the deadline. But here's the thing: they don't need to go all-in this season. At this rate, Paul George will be an All-Star next season and they could have their next wing star in the fold already.

Wallace: Fiction. While I think they'd be better off adding another consistent wing scorer/facilitator in the Monta Ellis mode, I don't think it's an absolute necessity right now. There's nothing wrong with a gradual building process. Even if this team remains intact, it could improve on last year and win a first-round playoff series.

Windhorst: Fact. They certainly want to. They have cap space and some assets and they have been attempting to get another perimeter player since last summer. But this is also an organization that has shown some patience in rebuilding. I don't think they feel they have to make a move now, they might do well to wait and make their move in the offseason.

3. Fact or Fiction: LeBron's more likely to win Defensive POY than MVP.

Haberstroh:Fiction. A couple more national TV games when he's guarding 7-footers? Maybe. But for now, I see Serge Ibaka, Dwight Howard and Josh Smith as frontrunners for the D trophy.

Wallace: Fiction. Even LeBron admits his defensive numbers aren't nearly as indicative of his performance as much as the assignments he's executed. He's defended all five positions this season. What he's done on that end bolsters his MVP candidacy, but won't quite get him DPOY - although he'd probably prefer that award at this stage.

Windhorst: Fiction. He doesn't have the numbers. It may be shallow but voters look at steals, blocks and rebounds. In the last 20 years, only one wing player has won Defensive Player of the Year and that was Ron Artest eight years ago. That doesn't mean you can't make a case, especially with the variety of players James has defended this season. He did finish second in 2009 and he's been better this year than that year. History tells us it would be an upset.

Kemo
03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
lol "fact of fiction"

and
the Pacers have gone from an also ran to a quality team

that 2nd one dont even make sense..

darn espn writers gettin paid and dont even proof-read for mistakes..

Surely, one of PD's own could get a job with espn and do a 100x better job... as a writer ( not talking about middle school writing mistakes lol)

Kegboy
03-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I was gonna ask why this wasn't a 5-on-5. Then I clicked on the link and it appears this is a recurring segment just for the stupid Heat index. Whatever, they're not worth my time.

immortality
03-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I was gonna ask why this wasn't a 5-on-5. Then I clicked on the link and it appears this is a recurring segment just for the stupid Heat index. Whatever, they're not worth my time.

Yea they only do it for the Miami Heat, regardless they talk about some valid points for Pacers. No need to go all out on trades this season.

gummy
03-10-2012, 07:54 PM
lol "fact of fiction"

and
the Pacers have gone from an also ran to a quality team

that 2nd one dont even make sense..

darn espn writers gettin paid and dont even proof-read for mistakes..

Surely, one of PD's own could get a job with espn and do a 100x better job... as a writer ( not talking about middle school writing mistakes lol)

Yep, "fact of fiction," is clearly a typo.

"The Pacers have gone from an also ran to a quality team," actually does make sense, though also-ran should be hyphenated. You just need to know what also-ran means for it to click.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/also-ran