PDA

View Full Version : Artest on Isiah and other stuff from the NY media

Unclebuck
11-14-2004, 01:44 PM
I enjoy reading the NY media. Don't believe that much of it, but I enjoy reading it.

http://nypost.com/sports/knicks/31982.htm

ARTEST: KNICK DEAL WON'T HAPPEN

By MARC BERMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
Print Reprint

November 14, 2004 -- KNICK NOTES
INDIANAPOLIS - Embattled Pacer Ron Artest says Knicks president Isiah Thomas can try, but doubts he'll land him in a trade.

"It's not happening," Artest said before facing the Knicks last night at Conseco Fieldhouse. "I could see him trying just because of my value as player right now. A lot of that trade talk is other general managers trying to set up the Pacers and make them look bad, like we have a lot of controversy going on, so they can get me on their team. They're trying to get me out of Indiana. But it's not working."

The Queenbridge native, who played for Thomas in Indiana, held off praising him for turning around the Knicks. "I like Isiah as a person, pretty good coach, good player but he really didn't do anything with the Knicks yet," Artest said. "I can't really compliment him yet. But he's got some good players. Until you prove what you can do, that's when you get your respect."

The Knicks could have had Artest in the 1999 draft but took Frederic Weis. "There probably would've been a lot of headaches if they picked me but in the long run I would've helped them out," Artest said.

Artest played his first home game since being benched for two games by Rick Carlisle for requesting a leave of absence after feeling worn out from producing a rap album, Chapter III. Artest manages the group, Allure, made up of three female rappers from New York City. In the locker room before the game, he passed out a promotional placard of the three girls clad in mini-skirts.

Artest is not requesting a trade despite what he feels was an injustice. "I think my future is headed in the right direction," he said. "I got to make sure I do the right thing in my future. I like it here. Indiana is a good organization."

"I think the fans still want me here. I'm not smoking marijuana. I didn't get a DUI, didn't have a handgun on me."

KNICKS ARE ROAD KILL

By MARC BERMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Artest, right, makes a pass while being defended by Kurt Thomas. - AP
Email Archives
Print Reprint

November 14, 2004 -- INDIANAPOLIS - The pain has already begun for the Knicks on their four-game road trip, and they haven't even hit Texas yet.
It all began alarmingly when they allowed a 37-point first quarter last night against the Pacers. Then things got worse when Jamal Crawford accidentally got bashed in the mouth by Stephon Jackson's elbow midway through the second. Crawford flew backward, his neck snapping back as he crashed to the court.

It set the gloomy tone for what became a 103-97 loss to the Pacers, dropping the Knicks to 2-3 as they head for their three-game tour of Texas beginning Tuesday night in San Antonio.

"I was coming off a screen and Jackson got me," Crawford, too dizzy to meet with reporters, said through a Knick spokesman after the game.

"My neck snapped back. I don't think it hit the ground. I tried to stop it from hitting the ground, and that's how I hurt my neck."

Crawford went scoreless in 11 minutes, did not return, icing his neck on the bench in the second half, looking woozy.

He's unsure if he'll be able to play Tuesday.

With Crawford out, Stephon Marbury carried the offensive load, but his 37 points (four 3-pointers) weren't enough as the Knicks lost for the eighth straight time at Conseco Fieldhouse.

On the scoreboard, the night's biggest damage came from Pacer center Jermaine O'Neal, who racked up 33 points against the Knicks' weak interior defense.

How weak? The Knicks allowed Indiana to shoot 67 percent in the first quarter and rack up 63 points by half.

O'Neal, establishing himself down low, had 21 points at intermission before the Knicks applied a faster double-team in the second half and closed the gap to five points in the final 1:30.

"We keep preaching how we have to come out with great defensive intensity to start the game because you can't always dig your way out," Knick coach Lenny Wilkens said.

No Knick big man could stop O'Neal from doing whatever he wanted in the first half, and he appropriately iced the win with a conventional 3-point play with 32.7 seconds left, hitting on a drive in the lane and getting fouled after the Knicks got within six.

"You don't anticipate coming into the game that O'Neal would get that deep in the paint," Marbury said. "He was very aggressive."

Nazr Mohammed, despite a good offensive night (20 points, 15 rebounds before fouling out) got abused by O'Neil. And neither Kurt Thomas nor Vin Baker did much better.

Yes, the Knicks still need a muscular defensive center.

Wilkens claimed the Knicks were trying to send help against O'Neal in the first half.

"When you let him get right up under the basket a couple of times, how the hell can you get help?" Wilkens said. "You can't even get there. We did a better job of meeting him sooner [in the second half]."

Ultimately, Wilkens was appeased by the fourth-quarter comeback after falling behind by 21 points in the second quarter.

"Listen, if we had folded up and went down the tubes tonight, I'd be livid, but we made defensive adjustments and we got back," Wilkens said.

Penny Hardaway started the second half for the Knicks. Without Crawford, Marbury took it upon himself, leading the fourth-quarter charge, hitting two 3-pointers early in the fourth. After he snaked in for a lefty layup with 4:09 left, the Knicks were within 88-82. But Thomas committed a bad foul on a driving Jamaal Tinsley with the shot clock ticking down, and the other Brooklyn point guard made both free throws to give the Pacers an eight-point cushion with 3:41 left.

Down six with 1:23 left, the comeback stalled as Michael Sweetney committed a charge, then fouled O'Neal on the other end. Sweetney thought it was a "flop" by O'Neal.

Pacers 103 Knicks 97

Unclebuck
11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Artest sees
Allure in Indy

INDIANAPOLIS - The Pacers' Ron Artest may win a Grammy before he ever wins an NBA title, which is something that even Shaquille O'Neal, the Notorious BAD, never accomplished.
But Artest's most immediate goal - other than getting free publicity for his all-girl group, Allure, - was to win back the fans' trust and respect. Artest was cheered during player introductions last night, his first game back in Indiana since he requested a paid vacation to help promote a new record and rest his sore body.

"A lot of fans still want me here," Artest said. "I didn't do anything wrong. I wasn't smoking marijuana. I didn't get a DUI. I didn't have a handgun on me."

The drugs, the arrests and guns usually come after the record goes platinum. Last night, Artest handed out publicity photos of Allure to New York reporters. (Their debut CD hits stores Nov. 23.) Artest also revealed that he will become - what else? - a boxer in the very near future.

Until then, Artest, from Queensbridge, said he is content in Indiana and shot down rumors that he will become a Knick one day. Although Artest praised Isiah Thomas, his former coach, as "a person," he added that Thomas "didn't really do anything for the Knicks" just yet. As for the possibility of ending up in New York via a trade, Artest who was nearly drafted by the Knicks in 1999 out of St. John's, is not packing his bags.

"It's not happening," he said. "I can see (Thomas) trying because of my value as a player. But the trade talk is other general managers trying to set up the Pacers to look bad like we have a lot of controversies here, get me out of Indiana and get me on their team."

Frank Isola

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/252653p-216353c.html