PDA

View Full Version : Worst Contract on every NBA team/SI.com

vnzla81
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Damn I forgot that his average per year for the next 3 is 13mil :-o

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba

Indiana: Danny Granger (three years, $39M)

The Pacers used amnesty on James Posey and no longer have any dead weight on the roster. Still, the team needs a star, and Granger was supposed to become that guy when he averaged 25.8 points four seasons ago and signed a five-year, $60M contract extension. Instead, his scoring average and shooting percentage have slipped each season. At the age of 28, he should be getting better, not worse.

Pacer Fan
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Damn I forgot that his average per year for the next 3 is 13mil :-o

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/Worst-contract-on-every-NBA-team-071211#photo-title=Indiana:%20Danny%20Granger%20(three%20years, %20$39M)&photo=30528427

For how much you are involved in the Pacers, how in the hell could you forget that? You just playin dumb and trying to prove a point to everyone...yes? ;)

graphic-er
03-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Does that 3 years count the current year?

Pacers24Colts12
03-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Compared to other contracts for small forwards on the list, Granger's contract is very reasonable.

Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay aren't light years better than Danny, and they have monstrous contracts.

LoneGranger33
03-08-2012, 11:52 AM
He might be the worst on our team (Jeff Foster's contract has taken a lot of heat around here lately), but I think that speaks more to how well-situated we are cap-wise than it does to Danny's cost-benefit analysis as a player. Clearly, Danny has played better in years past, but I thought his extension was pretty fair when it was offered, and I still don't see it as onerous just yet.

vnzla81
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah Danny is overpay but not by much, they also have guys like Varejao on that list, he is injured now but 9mil a year for a double double PF/C that plays D is overpay? I don't think so.

Pacer Fan
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/pacers.jsp

danman
03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Does that 3 years count the current year?

Yes.

So it isn't that bad at all. We don't even have another big commitment on the books. That will change with Roy this offseason, and possibly a FA.

croz24
03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
I'd say Hibbert or Hill have the worst contracts for the Pacers. Why? Because we'll likely have to drastically overpay to keep Hibbert next year and beyond, and given Hill demanding $7mil per season, we'd have to overpay to keep him as well. Them being in the last year of their rookie contracts hurts our cap possibilities going into next year.

naptownmenace
03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Compared to other contracts for small forwards on the list, Granger's contract is very reasonable.

Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay aren't light years better than Danny, and they have monstrous contracts.

Add Hedo Turkoglu to that list.

Since86
03-08-2012, 12:43 PM
I'd say Hibbert or Hill have the worst contracts for the Pacers. Why? Because we'll likely have to drastically overpay to keep Hibbert next year and beyond, and given Hill demanding $7mil per season, we'd have to overpay to keep him as well. Them being in the last year of their rookie contracts hurts our cap possibilities going into next year.

So they're the worst contracts before you even know what the details are? :laugh:

McKeyFan
03-08-2012, 01:45 PM
We don't really have a bad contract.

vnzla81
03-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Posey? And probably Jeff?

Heisenberg
03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Posey's contract only exists in Herb Simon's checkbook. And pay Jeff whatever he wants, he'll invest it and it'll be the seed money he uses to buy the Pacers in 10 years or so.

McKeyFan
03-08-2012, 01:58 PM

Posey is irrelevant (pun intended).

I'll give you Jeff if he doesn't step up for the playoffs.

xIndyFan
03-08-2012, 01:59 PM

this. and how wonderful is it to read that. thanx to larry about that. and with the new CBA/salary cap rules keeping things that way is probably more important that it was before.

here's to hoping larry keeps it that way.

Sandman21
03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I'd argue Jeff's really isn't that bad of a contract since its only a 1 year thing.

Asher99
03-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Somebody put in some hard work on that to find some of the worst pictures ever taken for most of those players.

immortality
03-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Some of the players in that list have great contracts Peklovic from Timberwolves and Perkins in OKC. Perkins is a great defender, and Peklovic earns just 1.5 million more than Foster. Brendan Haywood has been a solid replacement for the Mavs who are still have a great defensive team. Then there there is Al harrington who has been a great 6th man for the Nuggets.

Also Granger is a great contract compared to what his peers are earning, Iggy, Rudy Gay, and Joe Johnson.

croz24
03-08-2012, 08:17 PM
So they're the worst contracts before you even know what the details are? :laugh:

It's obviously an unconventional thought to the topic. Should I just go along with everyone else and say Danny, Foster, or West? But if you think about it, we will likely be tying up a lot of money into either Hibbert or Hill or both in the offseason and there's added pressure for a GM having a young player or two coming off their rookie contracts who have performed at high levels. Unconventional approach to the topic, but imo it makes sense if you really think about the strain of having such players in the last year of a cheap deal.

BlueNGold
03-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Agreed. If Danny was playing as well as many expect (including me), he'd be underpaid. As it stands, he's worth roughly what he's paid.

PR07
03-09-2012, 12:42 AM
I would've figured it would be Dahntay Jones.

Granger's the only one making anything substantial that has more than one additional year left though.

Day-V
03-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Jeff's contract isn't bad at all. 1 year deal, and we're still 14.5M under the cap.

Birb, Simon, and Co. knew what they were getting with Jeff. Sporadic play in the regular season to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Peck
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Jeff's contract isn't bad at all. 1 year deal, and we're still 14.5M under the cap.

Birb, Simon, and Co. knew what they were getting with Jeff. Sporadic play in the regular season to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Assuming his is available.

McKeyFan
03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Posey is irrelevant (pun intended).

I'll give you Jeff if he doesn't step up for the playoffs.
Vnzla was right.

vnzla81
03-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Vnzla was right.

Once again :cool:

TheDavisBrothers
03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Vnzla was right.

Nope, if I could go back and change it, I wouldn't. Jeff's value can't be measured by $...

90'sNBARocked
03-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Do this again next year, and hopefully it will be just as tough to decide as this year. Thinking hard , I cant really come up with a bad contract. Granger scoreed more before because that was his focus under obie. Bombs away, and he did well in that role...scoring, because thats was his primary focus. The current Granger is asked to share the ball more, and defend at a high level. He is far from a "bad contract"

Next year it will be interesting assuming we will sign Roy, Hill, and others. Then we will have something to evaluate.