PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

_The_Future_
03-08-2012, 08:54 AM
We all always have heated debates over who we would start, who wouldn't start, who needs benched, who needs more minutes. If you were coaching our current team, what kind of rotation would you have? I personally like our rotation, but I would like to see Lou get a few more minutes. Hes that guy on the team that just flat out hustles. His offense can be a bit, forced, at times but I like his aggressiveness.

Steagles
03-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Hill - DC - Lance
Paul - Lance
DG - Dahntay
West - Tyler - Lou
Roy - Lou (assuming Foster doesn't play on a consistant basis) - The Enforcer

MillerTime
03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Hill - DC - Lance
Paul - Lance
DG - Dahntay
West - Tyler - Lou

if we start Hill our second line is even worse

Sparhawk
03-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Hill - DC - Lance
Paul - Lance
DG - Dahntay
West - Tyler - Lou

Like everything, but I still like DC starting over Hill. Not sure what makes you think Hill can do any better when he's more of a scorer than DC.

Steagles
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Like everything, but I still like DC starting over Hill. Not sure what makes you think Hill can do any better when he's more of a scorer than DC.

Because he knows how to pass. DC coughs it up too much. And with AJ (who I forgot to mention) and Lance as the twos that lineup might work. Its worth a shot if anything. I would like to try it and if it doesn't work, revert back.

pacergod2
03-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I absolutely agree. I would be starting Hill over Collison. I would also rather have Dahntay getting his minutes at backup SG. If we utilize West as a backup Center for some of his minutes, I think it would make sense to trade Hansborough for a combo forward, like a Wilson Chandler or Paul Millsap. Someone who can spell Danny at SF and West at PF. If we get Kaman, I would still look to trade Hansborough.

Pacer Fan
03-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Because he knows how to pass. DC coughs it up too much. And with AJ (who I forgot to mention) and Lance as the twos that lineup might work. Its worth a shot if anything. I would like to try it and if it doesn't work, revert back.

DC coughs it up to much??? Look again man!

Steagles
03-08-2012, 10:02 AM
DC coughs it up to much??? Look again man!

Dumb passing.

BobbyMac
03-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Practice and talk about defense and intensity. Work to get Roy more shots to get his confidence up and reduce Tyler's playing time by about 20%. Increase time to Lou.

Not a time to panic.

ballism
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I probably wouldn't change anything at all.
I don't see current problems as rotation issue.
Rather, mental, coaching and lack of talent around the edges.

I really wish we picked Kenneth Faried last year. I love George Hill but his role is easier to fill via free agency and Faried would've answered a lot of our current questions. he would've been a great fit to the smashmouth thing.

Pacer Fan
03-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Dumb passing.
Dumb passing, meaning (coughing it up) turnovers?

Pacer Fan
03-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Some of you guys say Collison has no vision and can't pass...I say:rolleyes:.

In his rookie year, he started like 36 games in a row when CP3 was out. He averaged over 9 assists a game. He was stellar and had a system that worked. I watched everyone of these games and he is not the same player there as he is here. The Pacers are not set up for a pg to achieve high assists. And I don't believe one second that DC has digressed. As I have said before, if Rondo or Nash came here and ran under the current system, they would go bald. Nash would pull his hair out. Up until recent have I even seen Paul coming off a screen at the top of the key, he has done this just a few times in recent games. Pacers is a very motionless offense that tries to play a deep post game. Not one second do I think that they play this way cause DC can't perform. Does DC miss opportunities? yes. Can he do better? yes. Is angles worse then they appear on your tv set? yes. Until the Pacers start playing and coached better as a team and start making better picks for P&P, P&R, screens, cuts, ect. to the basket, it will minimize any pg opportunity. Please watch a few games of the Celtics and then watch a few games of the Pacers, do this in one set down so all is fresh on your mind. Don't even look at Rondo or DC, look at the rest of the team. If you can't see the difference in execution, I don't know what to tell ya.

jeffg-body
03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I would be patient and not change a thing right now and wait for the deadline to get closer before discussing any trade talks.

Asher99
03-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Swap Hill with DC and feed West and Roy a majority of the starters shots. Let Tyler and DC go back to what was working so nice last year but now against second units with chips on thier shoulders looking to prove people wrong. Have AJ shooting some 3's while the other two just get out of the way unless wide open.

Hicks
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Start Hill immediately.

What I'm less sure about is how to handle the bench if I do that. Obviously DC backs up Hill, but then what to do with the backup 2 spot? I suppose one option would be to put Lance back in. The problem is both he and DC usually need the ball to be at their best.

Playing AJ at the 2 is theoretically do-able, but I find that undesirable.

If I could magically make trades, I'd either go get another SG, or play Jones at the 2 and go get another SF.

_The_Future_
03-08-2012, 12:22 PM

I agree, AJ at the 2 would be bad news IMO. This is where adding another 2 via trade would make sense. I think we have to find another 14-16ppg somewhere to put us into the discussion of teams capable of competing in the ECF.

Hibbert
03-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Mike Wells
Also In Indiana Pacers

Vogel said he's thought about making a change at point guard, but he won't do anything at the moment because he likes the way George Hill has played at shooting guard recently. Collison is 2-of-13 from the field and only scored 5 points in the past two games. “Yes, there’s a thought process there, but I think George Hill has played better for us at shooting guard than he has at point guard,” Vogel said. “I don’t anticipate any major shifts in the rotation.”
about 8 hours ago

TheDavisBrothers
03-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Mike Wells
Also In Indiana Pacers

Vogel said he's thought about making a change at point guard, but he won't do anything at the moment because he likes the way George Hill has played at shooting guard recently. Collison is 2-of-13 from the field and only scored 5 points in the past two games. “Yes, there’s a thought process there, but I think George Hill has played better for us at shooting guard than he has at point guard,” Vogel said. “I don’t anticipate any major shifts in the rotation.”
about 8 hours ago

Frank seems like the type of guy that's extremely loyal to his players, maybe even to a fault. I agree that Hill is better as a SG and have been against him starting at PG, but with the way Collison has been playing lately, I think it's time for a change.

Sookie
03-08-2012, 11:26 PM
I would leave our rotation as is, with the minor adjustment of giving PG the backup three minutes, and leaving Dahntay out. (Nothing against, Dahntay, I like him, I just want PG to have the minutes.) It would also help open up more minutes for Hill when he's playing well - as he's really not a point guard.

I would also, and this sounds crazy, I know, but I might consider starting Hansbrough.

Not because he's earned it. And I wouldn't give him starters minutes (His 20 at most is fine), nor would he close the game. But I think he needs to be out there with more offensive threats, that way he can hustle and scrap for points, instead of being the primary scorer in the second unit. It might also help his confidence.

As I said, West would still get the majority of the minutes, and he'd still close the game. My intention is just to make sure that Hans' minutes comes with the starters.

Brad8888
03-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Hill - Price
George - Collison (small ball 2nd unit)
Granger - George - Dahntay
West - Hansbrough
Hibbert - West - Foster (when available) - Lou

Without 2 willing passers in both the starting and 2nd units, the offense simply doesn't function efficiently. With DC on the floor at the same time as Price, Price becomes a passing point guard.

Nuntius
03-08-2012, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't change the line up. But if I was forced to do so, I'd do the following:

PG: Paul George
SG: Danny Granger
SF: Tyler Hansbrough
PF: David West
C: Roy Hibbert

Why Paul George at PG? It's not like our first unit's offense utilizes PGs like normal PGs. So, we may as well start the one who is going to give us the biggest miss match.

Other than that, I like tall line ups :p

However, I'd really not change the line up.

mattie
03-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Hill AJ or Lance as soon as he can handle it
PG DC
DG PG
West Lou
Roy Foster (obv. when he can) Tyler

However, with Hill in the lineup, once across half court, I'd have Paul George dominate the ball. Sounds silly, but if you watch this year, esp. with Hill in, PG has done an excellent job moving the ball around and setting up opportunities for other players. He really has. PG isn't the type to make opportunities for other players by attacking the basket, but he does an excellent job hitting players off of screens as well as running the PnR and he's the best at entry passes.

I mean it really could work that way. And it's not uncommon either. Really, the Pacers offense could work a bit similar to how the Lakers work. Low post threats, Kobe dominates the ball, and everyone else plays off the ball. This works, This plays into George Hill's strengths on offense while keeping his valuable defensive contributions on the court.

And I'm not making a case for Paul George to suddenly become the number one option on offense either. Not at all (though really, he needs way more opportunities than he's getting, he has a mismatch in the post at all times on the court). PG is good at finding the open man, good at getting in good position to get the ball to his low post threats exactly where they want it, and there is no question he is the best at running the PnR on the team. I have no doubts in my mind that if the offense was run this way it work better than the offense we're running now. I think everyone would benefit.

BringJackBack
03-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Practice and talk about defense and intensity. Work to get Roy more shots to get his confidence up and reduce Tyler's playing time by about 20%. Increase time to Lou.

Not a time to panic.

I would do exactly this.

Make it a point to get Roy the ball when he is in position. Get Lou more playing time, and see what we can do with Tyler. If we get Solomon, split Tyler's remaining minutes in half for Solo, because I think he would play better as a power forward. He played some power forward for New Orleans.

Start Hill immediately.

What I'm less sure about is how to handle the bench if I do that. Obviously DC backs up Hill, but then what to do with the backup 2 spot? I suppose one option would be to put Lance back in. The problem is both he and DC usually need the ball to be at their best.

If I could magically make trades, I'd either go get another SG, or play Jones at the 2 and go get another SF.

I would start Hill immediately as well, but not as a panic move, but because he is just more talented of a defender and passer than Collison.

I would give Hill about 24 minutes at the 1 with DC getting the remaining 24, and I would give Hill 5-10 minutes at the two. The person who would primarily handle the backup 2 spot would be Dahntay, and Paul George or Danny Granger would have to play backup 3.

As long as George Hill and Paul George are getting over thirty minutes a night, we are doing something right.

Heisenberg
03-09-2012, 06:03 AM
I'd convince Danny Ainge that Boston is suddenly a place NBA players actually want to be and give him DC + Hans + 1st for Rondo and tell him to spend all the capspace this summer on Eric Gordon.

Kstat
03-09-2012, 06:15 AM
I'm pretty convinced that the pieces are there for this team to be consistently good, but they need a quality PG to tie it all together that isn't on the team yet. Basically, they need the guy that Darren Collison was supposed to be when they got him. If he's not going to be that guy this year, they need to raid another team for a short-term solution (Nash/Sessions/Ridnour/Calderon) until they can decide what to do with him in the long term.

While they could really use a designated gunner off the bench, it's not really a requirement. George Hill is OK in that role.

The one thing the Pacers are really short on is ball-dominant players. None of their guards or wings are really playmakers. They badly need someone to set the table for everyone else.