PDA

View Full Version : We don't do this often enough...

ChicagoJ
11-14-2004, 02:27 AM
Jermaine O'Neal was absolutely awesome again.

The game would never have gotten close if we didn't abandon him for a long stretch in the second half, especially early in the fourth quarter.

And we would've won last night but for that tacky call in OT that sent him to the bench.

Its almost laughable that we spent a bunch of the fourth quarter with him in the high post to make room for Jackson and that other guy. When things got close, Mike Breen said at the start of one play, "Uh oh, looks like they're going back to JO in the post" and the Knicks were never in serious contention after JO's late game explosion started.

This guy's playing injured, is a legit MVP candidate, is far-and-away the most important and most valuable player on this team and is a tight race with Shaq for best and most valuable player in the East.

But he's probably the most underappreciated star player by his home team fans in the league.

I ran this sig for a long time last season:

"Since nobody else will say it, I :love: Jermaine O'Neal."

Time to put it back up.

He's already having a great season, I can't wait to see how good he/ the Pacers will be when he's 100% healthy.

As great as he was offensively, and on the glass (and, admittedly, the foot injury is bothering his rebounding much more than his offense), he was also vastly superior to everyone else on the court at the defensive end.

The Knicks had almost no inside game, except for Mohammed's garbage/putback baskets when JO had to slip over to challenge the Knicks' penetration.

sweabs
11-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Yup - the guy is out there working hard all the time.

Maybe we take his productivity for granted...he is just so consistent - you can always rely on him.

I will join you in saying "I love Jermaine O'Neal".

Ragnar
11-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Last year I always felt like Jermaine was a really really good player who just could not get over the hump to be a great player. I think he is over the hump. In the past it seemed like he had a ceiling on what he could score or how many rebounds he could get in a game. I think he broke the ceiling.

I dont know exactly what it is about the way he is playing but I really think he is there completely. I know a bunch of you will think I am nuts for saying he was not quite there last year. Its just something intangible that he seems to have picked up.

Jose Slaughter
11-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Maybe it has to do with the players he has around him.

With Foster & Miller out, their replacements are not both capable & willing to shoot. This draws the doubles away from O'Neal, making him just that much better.

Still if he hadn't raised his game he wouldn't be able to take advatage of the opportunity & make his teammates better.

I too, love you Jermaine

Hicks
11-14-2004, 12:28 PM
That's true Jose. Makes me a little sick to think about what's going to happen if/when Rick puts Reggie back in place of Jackson, which is just WRONG to me now that I've seen all that Jack brings to us, and of course Jeff instead of Cro, making it even easier to double down on JO.

sweabs
11-14-2004, 12:43 PM
That's true Jose. Makes me a little sick to think about what's going to happen if/when Rick puts Reggie back in place of Jackson, which is just WRONG to me now that I've seen all that Jack brings to us, and of course Jeff instead of Cro, making it even easier to double down on JO.

Exactly.

I really hope that Rick changes his mind when those guys come back...or at least Reggie and Foster change their minds - because think about it. We have been playing with what? 8 players dressed? And we are finding ways to beat teams...

ChicagoJ
11-14-2004, 01:20 PM
The Knicks double-teamed JO almost every play in the second half, with Jackson and Croshere on the floor. He's not Walton-esque with his passing out of the double-team, but he's more than adequate.

If that's the weakest part of his game, and it is, IMO, then we're just nit-picking.

3Ball
11-14-2004, 02:02 PM
You know, in the past, there's really been only one "problem" if you can call it that, with Jermaine's game. He could consistantly score in the low 20's, but he almost never just went off on a team. How many times has he scored even 30 points? He's been very consistantly terrific, but rarely just off the charts on the offensive end.

I think the reason is that we've never really given other teams a real reason not to double him. We've always had one or two guys on the court that teams just absolutely did NOT have to worry about guarding. With Cro getting more playing time and Tinsley's shot steadily improving, AND Jax, I think this year Jermaine is going to have a 40 point rampage. You heard it here first.

Anthem
11-14-2004, 02:06 PM
It's by far the weakest point in his game. But two years ago, his passing out of the double-team wasn't even adequate. Even last year it wasn't that good.

As good as JO is, he's still improving.

Unclebuck
11-14-2004, 02:15 PM
As I posted in "observations" thread, I think the added muscle this season has really helped J.O. in the post. Although the Knicks' defense on J.O was not very good. You cannot just let J.O catch the ball, you have to front him and come with a double team, or at least sag in on him.

I think J.O is appreciated by the home town fans, he gets the loudest ovation by far in the pregame intros. It is too bad that Artest has to suck all the media (especially national media coverage) away from J.O. Although I tend to think the Pacers would never get a mention in the national media if it weren't for Artest.

J.O. is better than last season, and that is saying something.

I want to set the record straight, you all know I love Artest, but that does not mean I don't love J.O. I just argue that the Pacers need them both to be championship contenders, and they need them working together as I think they have the past two games.

Jay for every Artest thread if you want to start a J.O thread, that is fine by me.

IMO - J.O and Artest are the best twoseome in the NBA.

Dr Huxtable
11-14-2004, 02:18 PM
"I think this year Jermaine is going to have a 40 point rampage."

He most likely would have had 40+ points on Friday if it weren't for that bogus foul that fouled him out. He had 39 pts.

Unclebuck
11-14-2004, 02:33 PM
One other thing no one has mentioned, the Pacers offense this season is doing a better job of getting J.O. the ball in the low post. Instead of just posting him up directly, there is more movement, more passing, more misdirection that allows J.O to get the ball in better position.

Another thing they are doing they are pushing the ball up the court and going to a quick post up. That is the best time to get good deep position.

ChicagoJ
11-14-2004, 02:52 PM
-snip-
Jay for every Artest thread if you want to start a J.O thread, that is fine by me.

IMO - J.O and Artest are the best twoseome in the NBA.

:laugh: I was thinking about that - as much as anyone I'd like to get the focus back onto the game, not the 'silly stuff'. But I think a one-to-one ratio of JO and Artest threads would be obnoxious - even by my standards.

Maybe one JO thread for each thread started by our new favorite friend? :p