PDA

View Full Version : My observations from the Pacers v Knicks game

Unclebuck
11-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Some very, very random thoughts.

DJ Paul whatever his name is mentioned Pacers Digest tonight, I swear he did he just kind of sqeezed it in, I would guess 90% of the fans did not even pick up on it.

The crowd tonight seemed to be more into the game than they normally are for a typical regular season game, not sure if anyone else noticed that. Although it bugs me when people leave early.

Knicks have some talent, they have some size, but they just don't play well together. Their talent just does not fit and they are poorly coached.

On to the Pacers.

I am very proud of this Pacers team. They are playing with a lot of guts. I know they had 9 players available tonight, but 4 of those players would either be on the injured list or they would never see the court if everyone is healthy. So really they are playing with 5 players.

J.O. is stronger this year and it is helping him as he more powerful in the low post and he seems to be scoring more in the low post than last year.

During the player intros, I did not hear any boos for Artest in fact next to J.O, Ron got the loudest cheers.

Artest has seemed to me to be a little more interactive woith his teammates in the past two games. He had 6 assists tonight and he was more than willing to pass the ball.

Let me apologize in advance for this next question. Who do you miss more, Brad Miller or Al Harrington. That question popped into my head during the game tonight.

MSA2CF
11-13-2004, 11:25 PM
I noticed they were louder...The music was going the whole game, and the drum(s) were out half the time...

I heard several boos for Artest during intros, sorry Unclebuck.

MSA2CF
11-13-2004, 11:30 PM
Hope no one minds...Here's a couple of photos from the game:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/6efd9505.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/d38c95c3.jpg
(James Jones with the buzzer-beater)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/adc80896.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/99285ed4.jpg
(Shoot Artest, shoot!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/75772175.jpg
(A dunk that was rescinded...)

Also, did anyone notice that Larry didn't sit with Donnie tonight? I believe he sat across the aisle with his kids...

McKeyFan
11-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Brad Miller.

You're kidding, right? :p

MSA2CF
11-13-2004, 11:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/MSA2CF/4578a9ff.jpg
(I believe this is of the monster Artest block...Kinda blurred, but it's there.)

edit: It might just be a Knick scoring a basket, who knows. :whoknows:

Unclebuck
11-13-2004, 11:36 PM
I was listening very closely for boss and I swear I did not hear any. Of course that does not mean there weren't any. Certainly the overall sound was one of cheers.

I think overall Ron has played two of his better games I have ever seen him play the past two night. Honestly, if Ron continues to play like this you simply cannot trade him, he is too valuable

J.O also has been outstanding the past two games also.

Hoop
11-13-2004, 11:51 PM
I heard several boo's when Artest's name was announced. I was not one of them.

Unclebuck
11-13-2004, 11:57 PM
I was cheering loudly for Ronnie. That block of his was unbelievable.

sweabs
11-14-2004, 12:44 AM
I was cheering loudly for Ronnie. That block of his was unbelievable.

Cheer extra loud for me, UB.

I agree...the guy is just too valuable. I think we can deal with an issue about a stupid album when he's out there delivering the numbers. 6 assists...that says something.

ChicagoJ
11-14-2004, 01:12 AM
On the tv (Knicks broadcast), it was strangely quiet when Ron was introduced.

Perhaps the fans caught his latest pre-game flip-flop statement to the NY press ("I didn't do anything wrong...")

Peck
11-14-2004, 04:22 AM
Ron's play is irrelevant to the conversation.

Did anybody actually think he wouldn't come back & play great? No.

Does anybody on here doubt that he is an exceptional basketball player? No.

Does anybody really trust Ron Artest to not be a distraction to the team? Not if your honest.

Does anybody think that this is all ok with the team? Not if your honest.

Look, you can't come in play 20 great games & then get to dick around on the team. No matter who you are.

But I will say this, right now I don't know who I'm more disgusted with. Artest for being Artest or Bender for not playing.

Also, as to the intro's. I heard a scattering of boo's but overall he got applause.

stipo
11-14-2004, 04:48 AM
Maybe the applause in my section was too loud to hear the boos, but I wasn't able to hear any either.

I like the new Bowser T-shirt shooter. The upper level finally gets more T's! woo-hoo

The blonde emcees' voice is unbearable. And then I feel sorry for her feeble attempts at cheerleading at the same time.:cry: :laugh:

Unclebuck
11-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Peck, I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but I think Artest has been especially good the past two nights.

The one thing some of us have a problem with about Artest's on court play is that sometimes he strays from the offense, sometimes he tries to do too much, sometimes he shoots too many threes. Artest only took one three point shot and I have no memory of it, so it must not have been a bad shot at all. The game before he was 3 of 4 from three point range, if he shoots that well he can keep taking them.

My point is he has stayed very much within the offense, and has be a very willing passer the past two games.

DisplacedKnick
11-14-2004, 09:40 AM
From the perspective of a Knick fan, we gave that game to you last night.

If you guys were healthy it wouldn't matter but you were vulnerable and we didn't take advantage.

We didn't make it tough enough on you the first half. It was too easy to run your offense and even though we scored a lot the 1st quarter that wasn't our offense - it was Nazr's offensive rebounds. If we gave the effort the whole game we gave the 2nd half, particularly the last 6 minutes, we win - we wear you out. We might have still been down 14 at the half but you woldn't have had any gas left in the 4th quarter.

We wore you out anyway but not enough.

UB - agree with you that we're not well-coached. I wanted to give Lenny a full TC to see what he could get done. It hasn't been much. My #1 criteria has always been that a team plays hard. We didn't. The only players who had passion the entire game were Marbury, Nazr, Sweetney and Ariza. I don't know what's happened to KT but he didn't show any fire - I couldn't help wondering if all the trade rumors have him just "playing out the string" until he's dealt. Then again, maybe it was just a one game thing.

Having the mindset that you play hard every minute of every game and defense have to be instilled by the coaching staff and it has to be instilled in TC - there isn't enough practice time during the season to do it in the middle of the year. Judging from last night, we don't have it. I wonder if Fratello would like a 75-game coaching gig?

On offense I don't know what we were trying to do. It was a little more coordinated down the stretch because we went to the post with Sweetney (he was overmatched but that was OK - when he learns to use his bulk right he'll be a handful, even for JO) and Steph became more aggressive.

I'm also afraid we may have a repeat of last year if this keeps up. Marbury started out right after the trade with shot attempts down and assist #'s up until the KVH-TT trade. Then we had no consistent pieces on offense and he started having to take over. I could see that happening again because let's face it - would you trust his teammates from last night to be able to do anything?

Very disappointing loss from my perspective. If we play the right way it's very winnable for us.

MSA2CF
11-14-2004, 10:16 AM
I like the new Bowser T-shirt shooter. The upper level finally gets more T's! woo-hoo

I noticed that last week too! Hallelujah!

The blonde emcees' voice is unbearable. And then I feel sorry for her feeble attempts at cheerleading at the same time.:cry: :laugh:

Would that be Ashley Bidwell, JONeal7's other "wife"? I enjoy her much more than Cat Sadler, so I cannot complain...Everyone around me seemed to like her well enough.

Ragnar
11-14-2004, 10:20 AM
I do think a really good coach could get a lot more out of this team.

I have a question for any Hawks fans out there.

How could the Hawks have Nazr and Theo and suck so bad? Both of those guys are tough in the low post yet the Hawks were nothing while they were there. You even had Jason Terry hitting three's whith these guys patrolling the paint and they still could not win.

ChicagoJ
11-14-2004, 12:26 PM
-snip-
On offense I don't know what we were trying to do. It was a little more coordinated down the stretch because we went to the post with Sweetney (he was overmatched but that was OK - when he learns to use his bulk right he'll be a handful, even for JO) and Steph became more aggressive.

Maybe Lenny is struggling to learn "The Quick"? :devil:

ChicagoJ
11-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Ron's play is irrelevant to the conversation.

Did anybody actually think he wouldn't come back & play great? No.

Does anybody on here doubt that he is an exceptional basketball player? No.

Does anybody really trust Ron Artest to not be a distraction to the team? Not if your honest.

Does anybody think that this is all ok with the team? Not if your honest.

Look, you can't come in play 20 great games & then get to dick around on the team. No matter who you are.

Bingo. He and his apologists are going to have to figure out that he won't get back into everyone's "good graces" by his on-court performance.

Although, if he becomes a ballhog, he can make the situation worse, I suppose. Otherwise, it just doesn't have anything to do with what happens on the court.

He's got to figure out how to be a member of a team.

I noticed two or three plays last night where Ron made an exceptionally good play, and raised his hand for a 'high five', and all of his teammates were walking away from him, with thier backs turned. He had to go into the stands to get his 'high five.'

You may take that observation with a grain of salt, but its worth considering. Even though his teammates realize that we're better with him than without him (duh, :unimpressed:), that doesn't mean they want his help right now.

Peck, I've got to assume Bender's running a fever or whatever. This is a three-game absence, so there must be something to it. And its November, so let's quit over-emphasizing games from the second week of a long season.

stipo
11-14-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm so tired of love'm-or_hate'm, so I'll mention the little girl about 5 or 6 years old sitting courtside, in a Pacemate outfit (the shiny gold one). Now, my daughter (7) watches games with me at home and makes her own pompons out of construction paper. She even makes her own D-Fense signs. Very cute.
But it was kind of unsettling to occasionally see this tiny girl immitate the gyrations of the Pacemates.
I can hear the conversation now- (what follows is a one act play written by stinkycheese, copywrite 2004):rolleyes:

"Is this good Mommy?"

"You gotta shake your little bootie a little quicker hunny. You look so great in your little outfit!"

"Mommy, when you see dancers in videos move like this you call'em skanky b*****s."

"You know not to talk like that, call'em skank ho's."

"How about skanky-skanks? That's sounds funny doesn't it, Mommy?"

"Awww cute! But the difference with the Pacemates is they shake their moneymakers to help the team!

Now dance like Johnica, hunny!"

With much effort, the dad breaks his glance from the Pacemates, "Our little girl sure is growing up, isn't she dear?

"She sure is, Daddy! Now work those hips baby-girl, work'em!"

ABADays
11-14-2004, 04:41 PM
:laugh:

MSA2CF
11-14-2004, 05:03 PM
:rotflmao:

JOneal7
11-14-2004, 06:44 PM
lmao..I see me in those photos..mwuahuhauha

sixthman
11-14-2004, 09:17 PM
I thought Ron was more successful than anyone else at getting the ball into JO in the post. I also did not see a team that had chemistry problems.

pb777
11-14-2004, 09:24 PM
I thought Ron was more successful than anyone else at getting the ball into JO in the post. I also did not see a team that had chemistry problems.
Agreed. I thought Ron and JO played well together, both played unselfishly, both were really playing to the flow of the game and not forcing anything. It was good to see.
One thing I noticed is that midway through the third, our shots started hitting the front of the rim. We were exhausted. This short roster is killing us in the second half...

Lord Helmet
11-14-2004, 09:33 PM
I have noticed we are taking a lot more 3 balls this year which doesn't bother me as long as they are going in.Bender better be able to play this Wed when the Hurricane returns.We need him.

JOneal7
11-14-2004, 11:55 PM
oh no! how dare someone say something about my girl ashley! her voice is awesome! what you talking about!
er...maybe it wasn't her voice...