PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson Appreciation

sweabs
11-13-2004, 11:52 PM
g

Unclebuck
11-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Yes and no. I sometimes get a little frustrated with his shot selection, and when he tries to do too much. (yes I am talking about Jackson, not Artest) Maybe I am just not used to him yet. One good thing, and believe me this is a huge thing, Jackson can get a decent shot anytime he wants, and that is so, so important in the playoffs.

I love his rebounding, and I love his overall game.

For the most part I am thrilled with Jackson, he needs to "keep his head" calm down just a notch .

As far as the threesome of J.O, Jax and Ronnie. Those three have the potential to be a great combo. Ron and Stephan need to be willing to sacrifice some shots, but no doubt they all three can defend and they all three can just play the game very well

MSA2CF
11-14-2004, 12:33 AM
It's almost an automatic 60 points every game...

Anthem
11-14-2004, 02:14 AM
It's almost an automatic 60 points every game...

At least.

There's actually a good chance that one of them will gave a great night... 70 points easy.

ChicagoJ
11-14-2004, 02:38 AM
Here's the thing...

Jackson is driving me nuts with his shot selection and his turnovers, but I expected that.

Otherwise, I've been very impressed with the rest of his game - his ability to get to the basket, his wing defense, his rebounding. He just makes plays.

He really uses his size/ height to his advantage. He actually plays 'bigger' than he is. When Crawford was on him for a little bit tonight, even Clyde pointed out that he seemed signficantly bigger, forcing Lenny to play Hardaway major minutes.

He makes "the pass that leads to the assist" as well as Derrick McKey. And he's proving to be completely willing to move the ball along. I'd like him to do it more frequently, but he's just now getting used to playing with the team's #1 option, so I'm willing to cut him a little slack.

In short, he's much more complete than I expected.

If he can get the turnovers down and a smarter shot selection, I'll really like the guy.

Alabama-Redneck
11-14-2004, 09:03 AM
I would like to see him finish at the basket better. He drives great but too often he misses the shot.

Nothing major but something to improve on.

;) :cool:

Ragnar
11-14-2004, 11:27 AM
For a guy like him to come in and willingly be the third option is great for the team. We all knew his shot selection was not going to make anyone really happy but it seems to me it is better than Artests was two years ago.

What I have been thrilled with has been his rebounding and D. You guys are right he plays bigger than he is and that is a very good thing. I really think he could end up being the piece that puts us over the top. As long as I can remember we have never had three people who we could put on the floor at the same time and cause fear in the other team.

Also on a side note was anyone else missing Foster and (dare I say it) even Pollard last night when we were getting killed on the boards.

Hicks
11-14-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm starting to love this trio, and I agree with the others about Jack, aside from some poor shots and some TOs, he's been very good, and is looking to be the missing link for us.

Once we add Jeff and Pollard back down low, our interior D and our rebounding goes back up again, and then get AJ and Fred back.... this team is a serious, serious contender.

Suaveness
11-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Another thing that you can think about is how much more of an impact he is making than Al was. We now have a consistant 6th man who is going to show up more often than not, but with Al you really werent going to know what to expect. Not to mention Jackson brings even more to the table, such as his D, his shooting, etc/.

sweabs
11-14-2004, 12:46 PM
g

Unclebuck
11-14-2004, 02:04 PM
I agree with all the comments already posted here. One thing that has surprised me is that he has trouble finishing near the basket, that was unexpected, and I don't know if that is something he's always had trouble with or not.

Even without Bender playing at all, even wihtout Foster and even with Pollard being in and out of the lineup, (in other words even with a very thin frontline right now) and even with Jackson's shortcomings, I would much rather have Jackson than Al Harrington. Jackson is much more needed.

Jay, your comment about Jackson just making plays is the best way to describe his game.

ABADays
11-14-2004, 05:39 PM
We got the better end of the Jackson/Harrington deal.

Netweeny
11-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I think we got the better player, but Atlanta wouldn't have any player at all if they didn't do this. Wasn't SJax a free agent? With that considered, Atlanta did good for themselves too.

sixthman
11-14-2004, 10:04 PM
S-Jax is just was the doctor ordered for these Pacers.

One of the bonuses with Steven is that he obviously has JO's respect. Several times against the Knicks when JO was venting to refs and getting somewhat out of control, S-Jax served as the calming influence, once getting between JO and the ref.

I couldn't be happier with Stephen, despite the occasional ill-advised shot and the difficulty he's had in finishing around the bucket.

Dr Huxtable
11-14-2004, 10:34 PM
Not only does he give us just what we needed, but everyone on the team likes him.

I was watching the highlights of the game last night, and after JO made a play late in the fourth quarter, they both passiaontley did a chest bump. I love seeing that kind of stuff. :p