PDA

View Full Version : Woody Allen on Reg

3Ball
11-13-2004, 12:13 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Woody Allen has a confession: Few NBA players have given him greater pleasure to watch than Knicks nemesis Reggie Miller of the Indiana Pacers, an appreciation Allen terms "shameful disloyalty."

"Theater is more important to me than the outcome," the actor-director-writer says.

Allen has been a long-time season-ticket holder at Madison Square Garden, but he acknowledges what some would regard as heresy.

"I don't have any fun at all when there's five minutes left and our boys are crushing the opponents by 20 points," he says. "I root for the opponent to catch up."

Allen's comments come in the book, Garden of Dreams -- Madison Square Garden 125 Years by George Kalinsky, the arena's official photographer the past 38 years.

Allen has seen good times and bad as a regular at Knicks games and is part of the building's celebrity aura, along with fellow director Spike Lee. But, above all, Allen insists he's a basketball purist.

"I love the Knicks dearly and have spent through the years many a fourth quarter nervous over every possession or missed foul shot," he says. "But I definitely lack the winning-is-all-that-matters personality of the truly orthodox. My allegiance, I must admit, is to exciting basketball."