PDA

View Full Version : The Best Clutch Players in the NBA... (statistics from the last 2 minutes of a game)

stephen
03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
take a look whos number 1 haha

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id&match=single&year_id=2012&is_playoffs=N&team_id&opp_id&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month&game_location&game_result&shot_pts&is_make&shot_type&shot_distance_min&shot_distance_max&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=2&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=-5&margin_max=5&c1stat=fga&c1comp=ge&c1val=10&c2stat&c2comp=ge&c2val&c3stat&c3comp=ge&c3val&order_by=fg_pct

Kstat
03-03-2012, 07:12 PM
grain of salt. He's taken the bare minimum number of shots needed to qualify.

Good player, but the stat is very misleading.

TheDavisBrothers
03-03-2012, 07:16 PM
take a look at who's 50, ouch

ps. I bet vnzla81 loves this, look who's tied for 1st

Kstat
03-03-2012, 07:18 PM
...also misleading because he's also had the bare minimum amount of attempts. Miami finds itself in a close game maybe once a month.

Noted last-minute choker Kobe Bryant is 46th.

Tom White
03-03-2012, 07:20 PM
grain of salt. He's taken the bare minimum number of shots needed to qualify.

Good player, but the stat is very misleading.

True, but it does show one thing. When called upon, who has delivered and who has not. Just because a player may not have been called upon more times does not take away from whether he delivered or not. Perhaps his team was either ahead or behind more than the + or - points required to be considered.

Kstat
03-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Sure it does. There's no factoring in which shots were wide open, which were forced, which were last-second prayers from halfcourt....

Do NBA teams focus in the huddle at the end of games yelling at each other over how to solve David West?

I have no doubt West is a clutch shooter when he's called upon, but that is not what this broad statistic indicates.

TMJ31
03-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Do NBA teams focus in the huddle at the end of games yelling at each other over how to solve David West?

Based on many of the shots he has his late in games this year specifically, but also during his time in N.O.

I would say it's a strong likelihood his name comes up in late game defensive huddles, yes...

Kid Minneapolis
03-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Not a bad stat for West at all, he's not taken the most, but he's hit 'em when he's had to. No question he's got a bit of a clutchness about him from mid-range late in games. He's not as dramatic as Reggie, but the shot goes in.

Look who's #14 and #43.

mattie
03-05-2012, 12:48 AM
The most shocking info on this list is the stat showing Kobe assisted twice shots under two minutes. When were any of his teammates able to touch the ball under two minutes? I mean other than the classic game saving putbacks from Gasol...but you know what I mean. :)

King Tuts Tomb
03-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Sample size.