PDA

View Full Version : Foster out tonight vs. the Hornets

Peck
03-03-2012, 03:22 PM
David Benner ‏ @PacersDMB

Jeff Foster will be out for tonight's game at New Orleans with a sore lower back. He is listed as day-to-

This is why Lou is so valuable to the team. A better player would not be happy at all with inconsistant min. and a lesser player would be of zero value on the floor.

I know a lot of people don't like Lou but for situations like this I think he is invaluable.

Also on a side note. While I really like Foster and understand we are really keeping him here to be a mentor and for the playoff run, I wonder if this shouldn't be the last year of this.

In all honesty team cohesion is valuable as well and not knowing from one game to the other and knowing that he can't do back to backs can't be the best way to move forward here.

If he can't go after almost two weeks off (he didn't even play in the second half of the GSW game) then you have to wonder come playoff time is he really going to be available.

I'm not knocking Foster I know exactly what he brings to the team in terms of both on and off floor production, but at some point in time it's time to just move on and I think we are really approaching that time.

vnzla81
03-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Yep I think is time to move on.

Major Cold
03-03-2012, 03:40 PM
THis is why so many wanted a backup Center. Lou is good for what we have. But you would have to think that Bird was looking elsewhere for a backup before the Rush trade.

And please do not say that McBob was our guy that we let slip away. I would rather have Lou this year. If we could have signed McRoberts to a one year deal then I would be all for it. My guess is that we hinted at it and Josh made it clear that he wanted a multiple year deal. Thus the reason why we didn't even throw a contract his direction.

Kaman does not want 15 minutes a game. Do you actually see us giving him any more than that?

TheDavisBrothers
03-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I just hope he retires and joins the Pacers staff and doesn't try to play elsewhere

Isaac
03-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I just hope he retires and joins the Pacers staff and doesn't try to play elsewhere

I think he's made it pretty clear that's his intention. I'd be shocked if he didn't retire here.

What was the length of the contract we signed him to this offseason? I can't remember.

Derek2k3
03-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I would imagine that there is a reason both sides went for the 1 year deal. Honestly, if we have Jeff for a playoff run I'm happy, he brings so much on the defensive end.

Plus, you hate to lose his leadership. I'm happy with him playing 50%-75% of the games in a season for as long as he wants.

vnzla81
03-03-2012, 03:52 PM
By the way I remember getting destroyed in the beggining of the season for saying that we needed another backup center, yep I was "Mr negative" back then, how dare you say that Foster is not going to be healthy all year? yep I have a feeling that I'm not getting an apology for that either :cool:

Major Cold
03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
By the way I remember getting destroyed in the beggining of the season for saying that we needed another backup center, yep I was "Mr negative" back then, how dare you say that Foster is not going to be healthy all year? yep I have a feeling that I'm not getting an apologie for that either :cool:

No I think everyone knew you were right. But you had to continually throw Foster under the bus to let everyone know that you are right.

Isaac
03-03-2012, 03:58 PM
By the way I remember getting destroyed in the beggining of the season for saying that we needed another backup center, yep I was "Mr negative" back then, how dare you say that Foster is not going to be healthy all year? yep I have a feeling that I'm not getting an apologie for that either :cool:

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/ef7/17d/434/resized/never-wrong-meme-generator-first-line-i-told-you-i-was-right-494408.jpg

vnzla81
03-03-2012, 04:02 PM
No I think everyone knew you were right. But you had to continually throw Foster under the bus to let everyone know that you are right.

Throw Foster under the bus? by saying I want Kaman, Dalembert or any other backup because I knew Foster wasn't going to be healthy? well is your problem if you take it that way, all I wanted since the beggining of season was a backup that was going to be healthy.

Pingu
03-03-2012, 04:05 PM
I hear Solo Jones has been tearing it up with the Hornets...

Sollozzo
03-03-2012, 04:05 PM
This could bite us big time in the playoffs. I like Lou, but he doesn't have a center's body. I'd give anything to have a guy who is like 6'11 270. We desperately need a backup with a center's body who can consistently give us 15 minutes off of the bench and be insurance for 6 fouls a night in a playoff series.

I'm to the point where I really don't even care how skilled of a player we can find. We just need someone with a pulse who can play every night.

BPump33
03-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Throw Foster under the bus? by saying I want Kaman, Dalembert or any other backup because I knew Foster wasn't going to be healthy? well is your problem if you take it that way, all I wanted since the beggining of season was a backup that was going to be healthy.

I said over and over again that I wanted to sign Dalembert. I didn't get killed for it. I think you are just used to people arguing with you. Everyone knew Jeff wasn't going to dress night in and night out. He's still a very valuable asset to have come playoff time.

Justin Tyme
03-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Kaman does not want 15 minutes a game. Do you actually see us giving him any more than that?

I would have to believe Kaman would be excited about playing 15 minutes for a nice young playoff bound team. I also can see him getting more than 15 minutes in order to keep Hibbert from wearing out b4 the playoffs. You can't count on Foster to be able to play in the playoffs 15-20 minutes each game. You need a more reliable player to b/u the 5 spot in order to go as far in the playoffs as possible. Kaman meets that criteria.

Derek2k3
03-03-2012, 04:07 PM
By the way I remember getting destroyed in the beggining of the season for saying that we needed another backup center, yep I was "Mr negative" back then, how dare you say that Foster is not going to be healthy all year? yep I have a feeling that I'm not getting an apology for that either :cool:

:rolleyes:

vnzla81
03-03-2012, 04:16 PM
:rolleyes:

Yep I knew I was not going to get an apology, typical of PD :cry:

vnzla81
03-03-2012, 04:17 PM
This could bite us big time in the playoffs. I like Lou, but he doesn't have a center's body. I'd give anything to have a guy who is like 6'11 270. We desperately need a backup with a center's body who can consistently give us 15 minutes off of the bench and be insurance for 6 fouls a night in a playoff series.

I'm to the point where I really don't even care how skilled of a player we can find. We just need someone with a pulse who can play every night.

I even suggested to bring Solo back.

Justin Tyme
03-03-2012, 04:31 PM

I've been for a good b/u 5 since the season started, b/c I couldn't see Foster being healthy this season. Bird bet on Foster would be healthy, and it has turned out Foster hasn't been healthy. Poor bet Mr. Bird! Bird brought in Lou who gives you what he's got, but there is a need for more. This team is a Hibbert injury away from going from 3rd seed to 8th seed or worse w/o a quality b/u big. With Kaman as a Pacer, if an injury happened to Hibbert, Kaman can move in as the starter, and the Pacers won't miss a beat. Kaman is an expiring, so if he doesn't re-sign, you still have the cap. If Hibbert wants too much to re-sign, then you have the option to re-sign Kaman.

I'll get jumped on by this comment, but I'd offer NOLA choice of Stephenson or this years 2nd, plus 015 GS 2nd, and cap for Kaman. I truly feel with Kaman as a Pacer this team can do well in the playoffs.

Another reason I'd get Kaman is if Hans or DWest gets injured Kaman can play some PF too. He's got a good game, and is a great insurance policy too. JMOAA

ilive4sports
03-03-2012, 04:33 PM
You guys are forgetting about someone. PENDERWALL

TheDavisBrothers
03-03-2012, 04:38 PM

"Because maybe
You're gonna be the one that saves me
And after all
You're my Penderwall"
:guitar: singing in a British accent

ksuttonjr76
03-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm tryng to remember what were my feelings on Lou and getting a backup center.....oh yeah. I was more mad that we gave up Brandon Rush.

vnzla81
03-03-2012, 04:50 PM

I don't know if cry or laugh at this comment.

Kemo
03-03-2012, 05:02 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/ef7/17d/434/resized/never-wrong-meme-generator-first-line-i-told-you-i-was-right-494408.jpg

http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2012/03/04/bcoqg6p7pg.jpg

Bball
03-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Why would anyone expect Foster to be available for the playoffs if he can't be available for the regular season (with any consistency)?

Personally, I think I'd just bench Foster for the season and work with the players I know I can count on each game... That way there's some consistency and ability to gameplan knowing who you'll have available each game. That's not a knock against Foster personally. If he could be healthy and consistently available then I change my thoughts. But I see no reason to think differently because it's clear he can't.

When the playoffs come, I play Foster if I really need him as a change of pace player in a game slipping away or disaster sub.

And I definitely try to find a backup C but I go with the above plan even if I can't/don't find that backup C.

Nuntius
03-03-2012, 05:57 PM
I love what Lou brings to the table night in and night out. Lou was always one of my favorite players because even though he is not as talented or as big as most guys in his position, he has the willingness, the passion and the heart to make it work. That's also why I consider Chuck Hayes legendary.

That said, we do need a back up big man for the playoffs. I think that we can snatch a decent big for cap space in the deadline. Peck is right that a starter caliber big like Kaman wouldn't settle for 15-20 minutes per game but I can see this happening since a possibly deep playoff run could be a good enough incentive.

As for Foster. He wanted to give it a last shot. He saw that the situation is going to be good with the team and he wanted to be a part of a good playoff run. Nothing wrong with that. His contract does not hurt the team at all since we're way below the cap. His contract only hurts Herb Simon. And since Foster will be a member of the Pacers organization when his contract expires any money that Foster receives are going to stay within the team. So, I don't see Herb Simon having a particular problem with this either.

Since then Foster provides something very important for the team. Locker room chemistry.

vnzla, if you got destroyed because you said that Foster is not going to be healthy for the most part of the season then it was not fair and you deserve an apology. If you got destroyed because you included Foster in a deal (any deal) then you were rightfully destroyed for it. Foster is not an asset. He cannot be traded. You cannot trade your coaching staff.

Sparhawk
03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Just one of the reasons we need Kaman. Lou is fine defensively, but he's so terrible offensively. Teams wouldn't know who to guard for our second unit with Hans, Kaman and George.

Hope we get him.

Then pull off another move to obtain another 1st round pick.

Tom White
03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Yep I knew I was not going to get an apology, typical of PD :cry:

Geez vnzla, what is with you? Did the darkside run out of cookies? If you would just quit eating cornflakes nobody would pee in them.

DaveP63
03-03-2012, 09:07 PM
It's time. I think he's about used up.

skyfire
03-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Why would anyone expect Foster to be available for the playoffs if he can't be available for the regular season (with any consistency)?

Due to the compressed schedule, there will be more rest between games in the playoffs than there is now.

Justin Tyme
03-03-2012, 11:20 PM
You cannot trade your coaching staff.

Many on this board found this out by trying for years to unsuccessfully trade Jimmy.

joeyd
03-03-2012, 11:41 PM
That said, we do need a back up big man for the playoffs. I think that we can snatch a decent big for cap space in the deadline. Peck is right that a starter caliber big like Kaman wouldn't settle for 15-20 minutes per game but I can see this happening since a possibly deep playoff run could be a good enough incentive.

As for Foster. He wanted to give it a last shot. He saw that the situation is going to be good with the team and he wanted to be a part of a good playoff run. Nothing wrong with that. His contract does not hurt the team at all since we're way below the cap. His contract only hurts Herb Simon. And since Foster will be a member of the Pacers organization when his contract expires any money that Foster receives are going to stay within the team. So, I don't see Herb Simon having a particular problem with this either.

Since then Foster provides something very important for the team. Locker room chemistry.

vnzla, if you got destroyed because you said that Foster is not going to be healthy for the most part of the season then it was not fair and you deserve an apology. If you got destroyed because you included Foster in a deal (any deal) then you were rightfully destroyed for it. Foster is not an asset. He cannot be traded. You cannot trade your coaching staff.

I agree with nearly everything in the above quote by Nuntius, but you are apologizing to Vnzla for something that is not necessary. If he said that Foster was not going to be healthy for most of this season, or heck, if anyone did, that was merely a good guess based on last season. None of us are Pacers team doctors; none of us had any knowledge that he would need a procedure. It was a guess. It's also a guess as to what his contribution would be going forward.

I tended to criticize people who were writing off Jeff this season. Not because there wasn't a possibility that he would miss games this season, but merely for professing to know something when all they could do is speculate. I don't hold it against people for speculating; that's what stimulates good discussions on this board. But as you can tell from many of my posts, if people post something where they profess to know something that others don't, then they should be clear that it's either their opinion, or state the facts that support their claim. For the record, I am all for getting another backup big man, but will gladly take a Jeff Foster at his current rate of pay and participation this season, with the hope that he is able to help during the playoffs.

joeyd
03-03-2012, 11:48 PM

I don't think you were thrown under the bus. You had strong sentiments and you received strong sentiments as responses in kind.

By the way, saying "Foster is not going to be healthy all year" means that he won't be healthy for any part of the year. He's already played in a number of games this season. Many of the games he's missed were part of a plan for him to rest his back by sitting out of back-to-back games.

I have no way of confirming this but I think Vogel is using the injury report like Bill Belicheck. Foster is always listed as day to day whether he plays or not. When I saw that he wasn't playing tonight, I thought they must be resting him for the Chicago game on Monday night, which to me makes sense. We could use him in that game, and his participation in that game would matter more than in the New Orleans game.

Nuntius
03-04-2012, 12:05 AM
part of a plan for him to rest his back by sitting out of back-to-back games.

Isn't it an irony that one has to rest his back during back-to-back games? :p

joeyd
03-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Isn't it an irony that one has to rest his back during back-to-back games? :p

Perhaps one of the ultimate ironies!

Anthem
03-04-2012, 12:19 AM
By the way I remember getting destroyed in the beggining of the season for saying that we needed another backup center, yep I was "Mr negative" back then, how dare you say that Foster is not going to be healthy all year?
Surely this isn't really how you remember that, is it?

Really, man, pretty much everybody on the entire board said Foster wouldn't be healthy all year. I mean everybody. If you were criticized, it wasn't because you said Foster wouldn't be healthy all year... I said the same thing and nobody disagreed.

Sandman21
03-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Many on this board found this out by trying for years to unsuccessfully trade Jimmy.

The O'Brien for a box of donuts offer still stands darn it!:laugh:

CableKC
03-04-2012, 02:29 AM
I don't like that he's in and out of the rotation and really hope that we address the lack of any REAL Frontcourt depth ( Amundson is okay...but he's not the level of Player that I think that we need to truly compete against the elite teams ). I'm disappointed that Foster has been in and out of the rotation....but as long as he's available every other game in the Playoffs....that's all I care about....especially against the Bulls in the 2nd round. We don't need him as much for the regular season...we just need him for the playoffs to make a deep playoff run. I hate that he plays once every 3 games...but that's the way it is...and something that I suspect that the FO knew beforehand....he was signed for his Playoff experience and toughness....I'll live with what we can get out of him during the Playoffs.

Also, as TheDavisBrothers said.....I hope that the Pacers have some Employment opportunities ready and waiting for him after July.

Pacersalltheway10
03-04-2012, 11:18 AM
He's resting for the Chicago game. Get ready Derrick Rose.

Justin Tyme
03-04-2012, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=CableKC;1388190]

but as long as he's available every other game in the Playoffs....that's all I care about....especially against the Bulls in the 2nd round. /QUOTE]

I sure hope you don't bet anything of value you can't afford to lose on that happening! Every other game!?!? That's the highest expectation you have? I get so frustrated with posters saying pay Foster 3 mil to sit until the playoffs, and then Foster will be miraculously healthy to play in the playoffs. It's like he'll don on his Superman's outfit and rush in to save the playoffs. The Pacers got to the playoffs with little contribution from him during the reg season, so I just don't see this great contribution others think from a player who constantly has back problems. Reality is you can't rely on Foster for the playoffs nor him producing wins in the playoffs. If the Pacers want to pin their hopes on winning in the playoffs with help from a b/u 5, then they best trade for Kaman, and not put all their eggs in Foster's damaged basket if they don't want to be disappointed.

joeyd
03-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I get so frustrated with posters saying pay Foster 3 mil to sit until the playoffs, and then Foster will be miraculously healthy to play in the playoffs. It's like he'll don on his Superman's outfit and rush in to save the playoffs. The Pacers got to the playoffs with little contribution from him during the reg season, so I just don't see this great contribution others think from a player who constantly has back problems. Reality is you can't rely on Foster for the playoffs nor him producing wins in the playoffs. If the Pacers want to pin their hopes on winning in the playoffs with help from a b/u 5, then they best trade for Kaman, and not put all their eggs in Foster's damaged basket if they don't want to be disappointed.

I don't mean for this to be a personal attack, but likewise, I get so frustrated by posters that misquote or "mis-remember" what other posters are saying.

I cannot recall anyone saying that they would recommend paying Foster 3 million to sit until the playoffs (it's also clear that it was neither Foster nor the Pacers intention for him to miss so many games). I also don't recall anyone saying that he would be miraculously healthy and play every playoff game. I and others have seen some tangible evidence of contributions from Foster this season, both when he played and when he provided guidance to others (Lance has credited Jeff several times with his off-season development). And it's doubtful the Pacers are putting all of their eggs in "Foster's damaged basket," as evidenced by their attempts to land Kamen, although at some point, you have to realize that everyone on the team is just an injury away from being unavailable for a good length of time.

joeyd
03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
He's resting for the Chicago game. Get ready Derrick Rose.

Now I'm not so sure of this. Still listed as day to day, but the Star reported that he recently tweaked his back during practice.

Hicks
03-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Am I ever going to learn why JT's quotes get messed up like that?

vnzla81
03-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't mean for this to be a personal attack, but likewise, I get so frustrated by posters that misquote or "mis-remember" what other posters are saying.

I cannot recall anyone saying that they would recommend paying Foster 3 million to sit until the playoffs (it's also clear that it was neither Foster nor the Pacers intention for him to miss so many games). I also don't recall anyone saying that he would be miraculously healthy and play every playoff game. I and others have seen some tangible evidence of contributions from Foster this season, both when he played and when he provided guidance to others (Lance has credited Jeff several times with his off-season development). And it's doubtful the Pacers are putting all of their eggs in "Foster's damaged basket," as evidenced by their attempts to land Kamen, although at some point, you have to realize that everyone on the team is just an injury away from being unavailable for a good length of time.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=67467&highlight=jeff+foster

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=68362&highlight=jeff+foster

joeyd
03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=67467&highlight=jeff+foster

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=68362&highlight=jeff+foster

Please explain. I followed those links. None of them refute the claims I made when taken from my above post (as complete sentences and in context).

Peck
03-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Mike Wells ‏ @MikeWellsNBA

Jeff Foster is out at LEAST a week after having a procedure done on his back today.

I guess here is hoping he can be ready for the playoffs.

TMJ31
03-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Jeff Foster is out at LEAST a week after having a procedure done on his back today.

Indeed.

I was REALLY hoping Jeff was going to be available against the Bulls to knock some skulls...

But hey, at least now if the Bulls happen to steal a win against us, we can always just throw out the fact that we were shorthanded. :rolleyes:

PacerGuy
03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Am I ever going to learn why JT's quotes get messed up like that?

Seems like he intentionally removes 1 of his [ or the ] at the front or back of every quote. As for the Why?... Hell, I guess it must be his signature - every good serial criminal has a signature.

Mackey_Rose
03-05-2012, 10:46 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

Justin Tyme
03-05-2012, 11:29 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

This is beyond being ridiculous! Foster can't be counted on in games where he's needed now, let alone for the playoffs. When is the next Foster sighting suppose to be?

RWB
03-06-2012, 12:23 PM

So what do ya think.... is this Jeff's second epidural or third this year? If I'm not mistaken you're only allowed three in a years time.

Also, just a guess on my part on the epidural but this is the only thing that makes sense.

Peck
03-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Well they just slipped this little nugget in on the post game rewind on pacers.com So we have now gone from day to day to at least a week to now up to two weeks. Any takers that this goes longer?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/rewind_120306.html

The Pacers will be without Jeff Foster up to two weeks after the veteran center underwent another procedure to relieve pain in his lower back.

immortality
03-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Other teams who were after Foster over the summer, must be glad they didn't sign him. He has hardly played and I don't see him playing consistent minutes in the playoffs if this keeps up.