PDA

View Full Version : Harvard Scientists Research - Danny Granger is a Top 10 Shooter

03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
According to Kirk Goldsberry Ph.D., Danny Granger is a top 10 shooter in the NBA. After much research in the area of spatial and visual analytics, called CourtVision. The research that created CourtVision is exceptionally interesting.

Read the paper HERE (http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Goldsberry_Sloan_Submission.pdf).

PacerPenguins
03-02-2012, 05:26 PM
great find thanks

vnzla81
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
So according to this scientists Iguadola is a better shooter than Danny? :bs:

TheDavisBrothers
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
What do people from Harvard know about basketball :D

Since86
03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
So according to this scientists Iguadola is a better shooter than Danny? :bs:
It's all about where a player shoots from. "Shooter" probably isn't the right term. "Scorer" would probably be a better fit.

Danny has a career 43.8% fg%. Iguadola has a 46.1% fg%. Which is the better shooter? Well Danny, eventhough he shoots a lower percentage.

Who is a better shooter, Shaq or Kobe?

Steve Nash has the highest Range% in our case study, but does this mean he is the best shooter in the
NBA? That obviously remains debatable; however it is certain that over the last few NBA seasons, Nash and Ray Allen are the most effective shooters from the most diverse court locations. The average shooter in the NBA has a Range% of 18.5, meaning they score efficiently from 18.5% of the scoring area.

Stryder
03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
It's all bunk.

Freddie fan
03-02-2012, 07:05 PM
It's all bunk.

In what way?

BlueNGold
03-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Interesting, but this doesn't tell us much. Some guys get more defensive pressure because they're the only scorer on a team. Teams themselves are also a factor. If a team isn't very good, the opposition doesn't put forth much effort to defend...because maybe they're easy to score on. So...you simply cannot make this type of conclusion or ranking based on such limited input. ...it doesn't take a Ph.D. to figure that out either...but I would expect a Ph.D. to know that.

Tom White
03-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Interesting, but this doesn't tell us much. Some guys get more defensive pressure because they're the only scorer on a team. Teams themselves are also a factor. If a team isn't very good, the opposition doesn't put forth much effort to defend...because maybe they're easy to score on. So...you simply cannot make this type of conclusion or ranking based on such limited input. ...it doesn't take a Ph.D. to figure that out either...but I would expect a Ph.D. to know that.

Unless the PHD spends all their time watching the powerhouse that is Harvard football. Yes, I'm kidding.

spreedom
03-02-2012, 07:53 PM

It's just giving one piece of information, not making any definitive ranking of great scorers that is completely inarguable. I think it's worth accepting this for what it is, a niche study.

AesopRockOn
03-02-2012, 09:06 PM
In what way?

There you go. Givin' a **** when it ain't your turn to give a ****.

yoadknux
03-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Using game data sets for every NBA game played between 2006 and 2011, we compiled a spatial
field goal database that included Cartesian coordinates (x,y) for every field goal attempted in this 5-year period.
Errr - You might wanna change the title - "Danny Granger was a top 10 shooter"

vnzla81
03-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Errr - You might wanna change the title - "Danny Granger was a top 10 shooter"

I was wondering why they had Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis. :laugh: