PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Odom Assigned To D-League.....WOW!

90'sNBARocked
03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/lamar-odom-assigned-to-d-league

The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have assigned forward Lamar Odom to the Texas Legends of the NBA Development League.

Odom (6-10, 230) has played in 32 games with the Mavericks and is averaging 7.7 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 21.4 minutes. He is shooting .357 (89-249 FGs) from the field, .259 (22-85 3FGs) from 3-point range and .577 (45-78 FTs) from the free throw line. The 12-year pro has missed the last three games due to a family matter.

The Mavericks acquired Odom on Dec. 11, 2011 along with a 2012 second round pick and other second round considerations in 2013 from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for a protected first round draft pick.

Odom is scheduled to be in uniform on Saturday, March 3 when Texas battles the Austin Toros on HP Court at Dr Pepper Arena in Frisco at 7 pm.

If he wanted to come here ( doesnt seem to want ot be in Dallas), might be worth the risk. If focused he would be great off the bench and specifically in the playoffs. Mavericks desperatley want to clear cap space in an attempt to sign both D Will and Howard next year

beast23
03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Clearly, Odom is a much better player than he is showing. That means one thing to me... he has a lot going on that is distracting him or he simply does not like his situation.

I wouldn't touch him. Too big of a risk.

As for the D-League, I didn't think a player with his experience could just be "sent down to the D-League".

CableKC
03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
If you want to find out what's been going on with Lamar....I'm guessing that one can simply tune into the E! Channel and watch the Khloe&Lamar TV show :LOL:

But from what I have been reading....it looks like he's had some recent personal issues ( with his Dad ) that he is trying to work through. Couple that with marrying the wrong Khadasian sister ( j/k ) and being dumped by the Lakers for next to nothing....I'm guessing that everything is simply building up on an emotional level.

Peck
03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
On NBAtv last night they said that he requested to go there to get his legs back. A veteran player can not be assigned there under the current CBA.

I don't have a link btw, just what I heard.

pacer4ever
03-02-2012, 01:14 PM
On NBAtv last night they said that he requested to go there to get his legs back. A veteran player can not be assigned there under the current CBA.

I don't have a link btw, just what I heard.

this is true the new CBA added the Dleague for veterans only rehabbing an injury and you can consider missing 2 weeks an injury I would guess.

naptownmenace
03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Wow... if true, this sounds like a really crappy thing to do to an NBA veteran with his championship experience. I hope they don't think this is going to motivate him.

I know that Lamar has had some issues this year (his cousins death and his father is dying, IIRC) but why not just give the guy some time off away from the team if you want him away from the team. Or trade him.

Considering how PO'd he was at the Lakers about the failed New Orleans trade, I doubt he'll be any less upset with Mavs for doing this. I expect to read a report about a trade request within the next couple of days.

Edit: just read Peck's post. I'm still surprised he asked to play with the D League. You'd think he'd be better off practicing with his NBA teammates. That's the argument I've always heard against sending NBA players down to the D-League.

pacer4ever
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Wow... if true, this sounds like a really crappy thing to do to an NBA veteran with his championship experience. I hope they don't think this is going to motivate him.

I know that Lamar has had some issues this year (his cousins death and his father is dying, IIRC) but why not just give the guy some time off away from the team if you want him away from the team. Or trade him.

Considering how PO'd he was at the Lakers about the failed New Orleans trade, I doubt he'll be any less upset with Mavs for doing this. I expect to read a report about a trade request within the next couple of days.

He is only going to the Dleague for a game or 2 he isnt being punished. He is coming off a long stay with his ill Dad in LA im sure he needs a few days to get back into basketball shape. You are reading way to much into this.

You cant send a vet to the Dleague for no reason he will be back after a few days.

yoadknux
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Odom to D-League? Wow. :-o
This doesn't benefit Dallas at all, it's going to destroy his trade value. If he really wants to "get his legs back" then he should just practice with his teammates and slowly return to the rotation, not go to the D-league. Interesting.

spreedom
03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Most teams don't have time/energy for extended practices and team workouts with this current schedule. I'm guessing the D-League was the best option based on the idea that he'd be able to play as many minutes as he wanted and could come back to the team completely ready to play instead of playing spot minutes for two weeks while he rounds back into shape.

ksuttonjr76
03-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Most teams don't have time/energy for extended practices and team workouts with this current schedule. I'm guessing the D-League was the best option based on the idea that he'd be able to play as many minutes as he wanted and could come back to the team completely ready to play instead of playing spot minutes for two weeks while he rounds back into shape.

True, but what's the difference between playing in the D-League vs. working him slowly back into rotation?

spreedom
03-02-2012, 02:18 PM
True, but what's the difference between playing in the D-League vs. working him slowly back into rotation?

With the D-League, he can play 1-2 games and heavy minutes so he's back in shape and ready to contribute right away when he rejoins the Mavs. If they slowly work him back into the rotation it could take some time to get his conditioning back on track.

MiaDragon
03-02-2012, 02:21 PM
The D is also a place where he can go and simply play ball and get back to where he needs to be. Not have to be in the national spotlight being prodded about whats going on, how he's feeling ect. IMO this is a pretty classy move on his part.

Anthem
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
The D is also a place where he can go and simply play ball and get back to where he needs to be. Not have to be in the national spotlight being prodded about whats going on, how he's feeling ect. IMO this is a pretty classy move on his part.
Yeah, this is a good move by Lamar. Nobody's getting dissed here... he chose this as a way to get a little extra conditioning and make sure he's ready to go before playing at the NBA level.

_The_Future_
03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
I was hoping he would be wanting a trade:devil: Would be nice, have him backing up DG and having PG focus on playing the 2. Just sayin:cool:

AesopRockOn
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Is there a precedent for a player of his caliber and experience going down to the D-League?

spreedom
03-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Is there a precedent for a player of his caliber and experience going down to the D-League?

I don't think so, because up until this year players with 3+ years of experience couldn't do D-League assignments while signed with NBA clubs.

BlueNGold
03-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Sorry if I missed something with him, but why is he out of condition but other players are not? Get his legs back? I have a difficult time buying the conditioning explanation.

Head case? That's the issue.

idioteque
03-02-2012, 06:27 PM
I don't think so, because up until this year players with 3+ years of experience couldn't do D-League assignments while signed with NBA clubs.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought that was still the rule.

I feel for Odom. He has had a lot of personal issues beyond his control starting when his son died of SIDS years back.

spreedom
03-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Sorry if I missed something with him, but why is he out of condition but other players are not? Get his legs back? I have a difficult time buying the conditioning explanation.

Head case? That's the issue.

It's because he just missed 4 games due to a family illness.

Pacers4Life
03-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Happens in baseball all the time. Sports are as much about confidence and swagger as it is skill. They want him to go find his game. I'm willing to bet its for a single game. Maybe 2

_The_Future_
03-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Actually, it is disciplinary - http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7637338/dallas-mavericks-coach-rick-carlisle-patience-worn-thin-lamar-odom

BlueNGold
03-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Actually, it is disciplinary - http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7637338/dallas-mavericks-coach-rick-carlisle-patience-worn-thin-lamar-odom

Total shock...:rolleyes:

Too bad for Rick...

tadscout
03-02-2012, 07:54 PM

Texas Legends owner and Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson confirmed Friday that it was Odom's idea to play with the Legends first.

Also he can't be sent down w/o his and the players association's permission... Carlisle is pissed, but in no way is this due to discipline, or the players association would be throwing a fit.

This is all Odom's choice.

travmil
03-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Total shock...:rolleyes:

Too bad for Rick...

Too bad for Rick? Rick dealt with Artest. Odom has a long way to go to rise to that level.

tadscout
03-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Marc Stein ‏ @ESPNSteinLine (http://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine)
Schwartz: "Whole idea of going to D–League was Lamar’s. He proposed it to Mavs; they never asked him. He wanted to get some floor time ...

Too many people jump to conclusions w/o all the details.

_The_Future_
03-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Even so, it still seems partially a discipline issue also.

_The_Future_
03-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Players and coaches are not happy with him, question effort and desire and commitment. But we will see.

TheDon
03-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Sounds like Rick is just po'ed that Lamar is leaving the team to play in the D-league when they need Lamar the most. I'd be pissed off too if I were Rick, that's pretty unprofessional on Odom's part.

Peck
03-03-2012, 03:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/odom-pl...5731--nba.html

DALLAS (AP) Lamar Odom is rejoining the Dallas Mavericks without playing a planned game in the NBA Development League.

The Mavericks said Saturday that Odom has been recalled and will be in uniform for their game that night against Utah.

Odom had been set to play for the Texas Legends on Saturday night after missing four straight games for the Mavericks. He was assigned to the D-League team Friday.

Odom's last game was Feb. 20. The Mavericks have said he was away for a family matter and personal reasons.

After missing the Mavericks' last game before the All-Star break against his former team, the Los Angeles Lakers, Odom has missed all three games since the break.

The defending NBA champion Mavericks have lost four in a row

We will see how this plays out.

Do you ever wonder if Rick Carlisle did something wrong in another life to have to put up with so many players with personal problems?

TheDavisBrothers
03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/odom-pl...5731--nba.html

DALLAS (AP) Lamar Odom is rejoining the Dallas Mavericks without playing a planned game in the NBA Development League.

The Mavericks said Saturday that Odom has been recalled and will be in uniform for their game that night against Utah.

Odom had been set to play for the Texas Legends on Saturday night after missing four straight games for the Mavericks. He was assigned to the D-League team Friday.

Odom's last game was Feb. 20. The Mavericks have said he was away for a family matter and personal reasons.

After missing the Mavericks' last game before the All-Star break against his former team, the Los Angeles Lakers, Odom has missed all three games since the break.

The defending NBA champion Mavericks have lost four in a row

We will see how this plays out.

Do you ever wonder if Rick Carlisle did something wrong in another life to have to put up with so many players with personal problems?

He won a championship, I don't feel too sorry for him!

Sollozzo
03-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Odom has been pouting ever since it was announced that the Lakers were trading him and Pau for CP3. Whereas Gasol manned up and went back to the team, Odom acted like a baby and forced his way out. He ended up on a good team, but I doubt he's as happy there as he was in LA.

Who the hell did he think he was when he didn't show up to Lakers camp and instead demanded a trade? You're Lamar Odom, not Kobe Bryant or even Pau Gasol. You are a very very good player, but you're not some un-tradable star. He should have acted like Gasol by manning up and going back to the team.

ksuttonjr76
03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Odom has been pouting ever since it was announced that the Lakers were trading him and Pau for CP3. Whereas Gasol manned up and went back to the team, Odom acted like a baby and forced his way out. He ended up on a good team, but I doubt he's as happy there as he was in LA.

Who the hell did he think he was when he didn't show up to Lakers camp and instead demanded a trade? You're Lamar Odom, not Kobe Bryant or even Pau Gasol. You are a very very good player, but you're not some un-tradable star. He should have acted like Gasol by manning up and going back to the team.

I never did understand that. Being traded is part of being in the NBA. Don't get me wrong. I would be upset too if I had to move to a different city, but I wouldn't care THAT much. With NBA money, relocating is not that hard. It's not like they do their own packing and moving.

Personally, if my team attempted to trade me and it failed, I would be busting my butt on the court to make sure that my name didn't come up again.

TheDavisBrothers
03-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I never did understand that. Being traded is part of being in the NBA. Don't get me wrong. I would be upset too if I had to move to a different city, but I wouldn't care THAT much. With NBA money, relocating is not that hard. It's not like they do their own packing and moving.

Personally, if my team attempted to trade me and it failed, I would be busting my butt on the court to make sure that my name didn't come up again.

It just seems like Lamar is a lot more sensitive then your average player, plus he's had to deal with a lot of off court issues...

He's also an LA guy, that's his home, that's were he's comfortable

ilive4sports
03-03-2012, 04:28 PM
LA should have just told him to deal with it and kept him. They miss him badly, he misses LA.

ksuttonjr76
03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
LA should have just told him to deal with it and kept him. They miss him badly, he misses LA.

True. At least he was traded for a Superstar player in the original deal, instead of being given away in the Dallas deal.

xIndyFan
03-03-2012, 06:20 PM
all this drama included, i would still be happy if the pacers traded for this guy. he makes a great fit with his skill set. nice contract. and the guy can play.

spreedom
03-03-2012, 06:59 PM
all this drama included, i would still be happy if the pacers traded for this guy. he makes a great fit with his skill set. nice contract. and the guy can play.

It looks like he could play... but he's been complete garbage so far this season. Might be damaged goods.