PDA

View Full Version : "Clipper Darrell" is no more thanks to Clippers Management

Basketball Fan
02-29-2012, 06:49 PM
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/02/29/los-angeles-clippers-management-turns-their-back-on-clipper-darrell/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=los-angeles-clippers-management-turns-their-back-on-clipper-darrell&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Los Angeles Clippers Management Turns Their Back On Clipper Darrell
Fans, NBA, Twitter Stephen Douglas (CRM!) February 29th. 2012, 5:25pmThe Los Angeles Clippers have been one of the worst franchises in American professional sports for decades. Now that they are experiencing some success behind the play of Blake Griffin and Chris Paul, they’re leaving their biggest, most visible fan out in the cold. Darrell Bailey – better known as “Clipper Darrell” – has been asked by the organization to drop “Clipper” form his moniker. From Clipper Darrell’s official site:

It is with great sadness that I must report to all those in NBA NATION that I have been told by Clipper management they no longer want me to be Clipper Darrell, a name that was given to me by the media because of my unwavering support and team spirit. I am devastated!!!!

It’s good to see that a little success will never change a truly awful organization. More:

I have been a season ticket holder for over a decade and a FAN for over 15 years and have dedicated a major part of my life to support the Clipper organization and it’s players no matter what the season’s outcome. Over the years (400 home games) I have gone to great lengths to show my appreciation and loyalty in my attire, the car I drive and in my very own home. I’ve taken seriously the mantra of being “Clipper Darrell” in performing community service, mentoring young children and my participation in outreach programs. I’ve appreciated the struggles of the team to overcome obstacles as I’ve done in my life. I felt vindicated for all the years we as Clipper fans have gone through trials and tribulations and NOW we have a team that can win it all. Yesterday was the hardest day of my life, I felt powerless as a fan, as I was stripped of my identity however, no one can take away my heart and the love I have for my team!

I’ve never been been a big fan of “Super Fans,” but that doesn’t mean I don’t see their value. It’s incredibly short-sighted and dumb to turn your back on the one person who is most closely identified with your pitiful team. LA management had no problem when Clipper Darrell was a sideshow who got them something besides negative attention.

They put up with his shtick for more than a decade. This is just bad P.R. Especially, when you consider that L.A.’s two biggest stars, Blake Griffin and Chris Paul, have already tweeted their support of Darrell. These are two guys you want to sign long-term contracts. As nice as Los Angeles is, this is just more proof that these are the same old Clippers.

Roaming Gnome
02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
A little success doesn't stop the Clippers from being, "The Clippers"!

Color me surprised!

J7F
02-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Ain't that some ********?!

And as a true fan... it sounds like he is still going to support them...

I would love to hear the Clippers spin on this story...

Raoul Duke
02-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Hope this never happens to El Pacero

Ownagedood
02-29-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't get it. An organization can't just make someone drop a nickname you have... just say no to them and keep your name.

kielbeze
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Dude I don't know what I would feel like in his shoes. I love my Pacers.
On one hand you would be upset and feel betrayed. On the other hand its just the PR guys. I probably would have told them to Su#k it and then had my name leagally changed to Clipper Daryl. (and had a giant name tag made that says "Hi my name is Clipper Daryl." but then again thats just me.) On the other hand maybe he is just tired of being Clipper Daryl and wants to come to the game as a normal fan.

kielbeze
02-29-2012, 07:56 PM

I hope they unmask El Pacero at halftime in the playoffs this year.
And tell him he has to move to Ft Wayne. And tell him he has to change his name to the Mexican Mad Ant

BillS
02-29-2012, 07:58 PM
The problem with trademarks is they have to be vigorously defended (unlike copyright which doesn't lapse if you miss someone who infringes). I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Slick Pinkham
02-29-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't get it. An organization can't just make someone drop a nickname you have... just say no to them and keep your name.
I'm sure it was a trademark issue. If he was selling stuff that said "Clipper Darrell" I could understand, or were involved in excessive self-promotion, since I am sure that they own the Clipper trademark.

I am sure that for example you couldn't just open a restaurant called "Pacers Pizza".

I suppose if "Pacers Digest" were something other than a place where people support the Pacers in general and aren't making a buck on the concept, then this site could be asked to change its name.

It will be interesting to hear the other side

BillS
02-29-2012, 08:01 PM
I am sure that for example you couldn't just open a restaurant called "Pacers Pizza".

I am not a lawyer.

But, you could open "Pacers Pizza" under certain circumstances, mostly that your colors, logo, and pretty much everything else cannot be confused with the Pacers basketball franchise.

A basketball team called the Pacers would be right out.

Sparhawk
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Clippers management is retarded.

AesopRockOn
02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
I suppose if "Pacers Digest" were something other than a place where people support the Pacers in general and aren't making a buck on the concept, then this site could be asked to change its name.

This was my first thought. What if they make Hicks change the forum's name to Herb's Digest? So much drug traffic.

rock747
02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
I hope they unmask El Pacero at halftime in the playoffs this year.
And tell him he has to move to Ft Wayne. And tell him he has to change his name to the Mexican Mad Ant

I guess they have to find some way to draw the crowds back....

Slick Pinkham
02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Trademark is likely why Hicks has the note at the bottom of the page:

An unofficial fan website. We are in no way affiliated with the NBA, the Indiana Pacers, or Pacers Sports & Entertainment.

Maybe you could do that with my hypothetical "Pacers Pizza": An unofficial pizza joint. Though we sell blue breadsticks with gold dipping sauce, accompanied with a tall frosty mug of beer called "The Slick Special", we are in no way affiliated with the NBA, the Indiana Pacers, or Pacers Sports & Entertainment.

Heisenberg
02-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Wow, they really don't like the guy
http://clippers.ocregister.com/2012/02/29/clippers-statement-regarding-clipper-darrell/

The Clippers have done absolutely nothing wrong or inappropriate as it concerns Darrell Bailey. His claims are absurd and unfounded. He has never been an employee or representative of the Clippers organization, and therefore cannot be terminated. The Clippers have never engaged Mr. Bailey’s services. When he has been in need, the organization has regularly provided him a seat for games. No good deed goes unpunished.

We have had multiple conversations with him concerning his inappropriate use of the Clippers’ team name and trademark for his own unmonitored commercial gain. We have spoken to him repeatedly about his desire to make public appearances in ways which improperly suggest that he is officially affiliated with our organization. In all cases and over a long period of time, he has consistently rejected our efforts to operate in consultation.

In a conversation with an authoritative and tenured Clippers’ executive last week, he was asked again to either consult with the team on all public appearances and/or commercial ventures, or stop undertaking those opportunities representing himself inappropriately. His response was an offer to stop representing himself commercially in that way and his offer was accepted in principle.

The next thing we heard was the baseless claims he has made today and the ensuing media rush to judgment.

We hold all of our fans in the highest esteem and we have been patient and generous with Mr. Bailey. He has not returned our support in an honorable way. He is not actually a fan of the Clippers, but a fan of what he can make off of the Clippers. We are no longer interested in that kind of association with him, and that is why we accepted his offer to remove our team name from his stage name.

Day-V
02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
I am not a lawyer.

But, you could open "Pacers Pizza" under certain circumstances, mostly that your colors, logo, and pretty much everything else cannot be confused with the Pacers basketball franchise.

I was gonna say, I think you could open a "Pacer"-named restaurant, provided you maybe had the logo, theme, etc of the restaurant revolve around Horse Racing or Racing general. "Pacer Pizza" with basketball flooring, Jerseys, and famous Pacers newspaper headlines is probably a big No-No, however.

Pacers Digest DOES have it's own lawyer, though, lol. Area 55's own IndyHoya might be able to clear this up for us.

mikeyism
02-29-2012, 09:29 PM
This is one thing that got Clipper Darrell in trouble.

http://clipperdarrell.com/cdapparel/

LG33
02-29-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm starting to get worried now because all my friends know me as "Pacers Sports and Entertainment, Inc. Alex".

Kstat
02-29-2012, 09:59 PM
A little disappointed in the rush to judgement on the clippers here. there was obviously some kind of reason why they asked him to drop his name.

Shade
02-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Yeah, that's really sketchy.

Day-V
02-29-2012, 10:19 PM
A little disappointed in the rush to judgement on the clippers here. there was obviously some kind of reason why they asked him to drop his name.

If it's because of the merchandise on his website, then it's absolutely ridiculous. They could've just asked him to please stop selling that stuff, and I'm sure he would've been okay with that. But to ask him to change his name? The one guy who has brought your franchise goodwill and has given you countless free publicity and advertising across the country all these years? That's very Sterling-esque.

If anything, they should be embracing Clipper Darrell similar to how the Pacers embrace El Pacero.

Kstat
02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
If it's because of the merchandise on his website, then it's absolutely ridiculous. They could've just asked him to please stop selling that stuff, and I'm sure he would've been okay with that. But to ask him to change his name? The one guy who has brought your franchise goodwill and has given you countless free publicity and advertising across the country all these years? That's very Sterling-esque.

If anything, they should be embracing Clipper Darrell similar to how the Pacers embrace El Pacero.

They gave him thousands of dollars worth of free seats. It wasn't free publicity at all.

Did you read the statement by the clippers at all? They asked him to stop, and he didn't. He's a fan that felt entitled to cash in on his pseudo-fandom without the permission of the team he was leeching his merchandise ideas from. He deserves zero sympathy whatsoever.

Anthem
02-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Yep, that's a well-written piece by the Clips. Makes it very clear what the issues are.

Slick Pinkham
02-29-2012, 11:37 PM
I used to be "pacertom" but it didn't sit well with "the man" ;)

CompACE
03-01-2012, 12:16 AM

You say that now, and then all of a sudden El Pacero starts to sell Pacers Lucha libre masks without consent from the Pacers...

It's the Clipper's intellectual property and so they obviously have the right to ask someone who they think is in breach. Darrell is lucky they're not suing him.

Foul on Smits
03-01-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm siding with the Clippers on this.

ndcoltsnpacers
03-01-2012, 01:11 AM

Well now not ALL the Pacers have embraced him...

Day-V
03-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Well now not ALL the Pacers have embraced him...

Touche.

Trader Joe
03-01-2012, 02:55 AM
So the guy is not just using the Clippers colors and logos on gear, but he's also booking himself as a "hype man" for other games using the Clipper Darrell moniker? Yeah, I don't feel so bad for him.

Roaming Gnome
03-01-2012, 10:13 AM

You got me... The Clippers side of the argument makes all the sense in the world. It almost seems as if the Clipper organization went out of their way to offer this guy multiple chances to use their trademark. This fella was just too much of a leech to realize the favor he was being extended.

MyFavMartin
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Change it to Klipper Darrell or Chlipper Darrell or F-Sterling Darrell.

Pacers13Colts12
03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
I love fans that think they are so big that they have to create gimmicks. Nobody goes to the game to see you dressed up in your outfit. Just enjoy it like everyone else (i'm not including Area 55 in this because I think that's what Area 55 was created for).

MyFavMartin
03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
I am not a lawyer.

http://www.runpacers.com/

thewholefnshow31
03-01-2012, 01:19 PM
To me the question is how long has he been selling this merchandise. If it just happened this year then I can understand why the Clippers are just now having a problem with his name. He is using a trademark for his own financial gain.

Now if he has been doing this for years and the Clippers have not given a crap then I call shenanigans on the Clippers.

Given their terrible owner I fully expect it to be the second option.

kielbeze
03-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Does this mean I have to stop selling my game worn pacers underwear on Ebay? "As worn by the Pacers area 55 MVP"

5_7_Clash
03-01-2012, 02:38 PM

I'm pretty sure Disney owns the rights to the font on that bracelet.

ejwallace
03-01-2012, 02:42 PM
http://www.runpacers.com/

LOL they even have "Chris Farley" on staff....and he writes "Chris Farley's Blog"....

SoupIsGood
03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
The merchandise thing is shady. Why he wouldn't just work with them is beyond me.

BPump33
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Does this mean I have to stop selling my game worn pacers underwear on Ebay? "As worn by the Pacers area 55 MVP"

You're not getting them back. I paid for them, fair and square.

AesopRockOn
03-01-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm starting to get worried now because all my friends know me as "Pacers Sports and Entertainment, Inc. Alex".

It is a bit odd that someone so offensive would be nicknamed P-SEA.

The Sleeze
03-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty sure Disney owns the rights to the font on that bracelet.

That's the first thing I noticed. If he thinks changing his name is bad wait until the Disney lawyers come after him.

naptownmenace
03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Wow, they really don't like the guy
http://clippers.ocregister.com/2012/02/29/clippers-statement-regarding-clipper-darrell/

WOW! Who wrote this... Dan Gilbert?

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/1378-you-mad-bro-prince.jpg

Pace Maker
03-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Regardless of what he did, its going to be bad PR

Heisenberg
03-02-2012, 01:46 AM
The bigger question is, who the hell would buy that guy's merchandise?

danman
03-02-2012, 11:42 AM
He could switch his moniker to "Greedy Idiot Darrell."

No trademark there.

The Sleeze
03-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I have a feeling a lot of kids in third world countries are going to be sporting some "Clipper Darrell" merchandise.

pacer4ever
03-02-2012, 01:18 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0302-plaschke-20120302,0,2448729.column

Three decades ago, the Lakers had an unofficial mascot who got too big for his tuxedo.

He was an entertaining fan who became so popular, he eventually wanted money to continue being that fan. The Lakers tried paying him but couldn't pay him enough to keep him happy, so he stopped coming to games and eventually faded into anonymity.

Remember Dancing Barry?

He's about to be joined by Clipper Darrell.

The Clippers' unofficial cheerleader, the rotund dancing guy in a red and blue suit named Darrell Bailey, caused a stir this week when he issued a statement on his website claiming that the Clippers, "no longer want me to be Clipper Darrell.… I am devastated!"

In later interviews with several media outlets, he explained that the Clippers were cutting him loose because they didn't want him representing the team with advertisers or in the community without their approval.

"I felt powerless as a fan, as I was stripped of my identity," he wrote.

The Clippers then issued a statement calling his claims "absurd" and noting that they were concerned only with his "inappropriate use of the Clipper team name and trademark for his own unmonitored commercial gain."

It is Joe Fan versus Donald T. Sterling. It is lovable die-hard versus soulless corporation. Guess whose side everyone has taken?

The Clippers, as expected, have been pounded from here to the house that Clipper Darrell has painted in team colors. Folks used to ripping the team for past mistakes — yet stifled during this wondrous season — have happily resumed their catcalls, tearing into them for being arrogant, classless and just plain mean. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin have tweeted their support. One colleague even likened the Clippers to the overweight guy who loses 50 pounds and promptly dumps his girlfriend.

Really? Do we seriously need to go here? I hesitate to give even more publicity to a guy who is insulting the enduring grace of truly longtime Clippers fans by trying to become their paid spokesman, but enough is enough. Anybody who has been around the Clippers for the last few years knows the true story here, and no amount of timeout dancing can hide it.

First, the Clippers love having Darrell Bailey at their games. They love him so much, for the last couple of years they've given him a free ticket. Yes, while many others in the building are shelling out thousands for the hottest show in town, Bailey is given a prime lower-bowl spot for free.

The Clippers love that he performs at the games. They don't want him to stop his dancing. They don't want him to tone down his support. They appreciate that he has been a season-ticket holder for a dozen years, and they would be happy to have him show up at every home game and lead Clippers cheers forever.

"We love him in the arena, fans love him in the arena, everybody loves his energy and his passion," said Carl Lahr, longtime Clippers vice president of marketing and sales.

The problem is, Darrell Bailey also wants to represent the Clippers outside the arena. He wants to make paid public appearances on behalf of the Clippers and give interviews as a Clippers spokesman and essentially turn his rooting interest into a business interest.

Amazingly, the Clippers don't have a problem with that either. Although most teams would sue any fan who tried to capitalize on their name, the Clippers told Bailey they would not stop him from representing them, but would simply insist that he follow the same rules that apply to every other employee.

"Like any company, we would need control over him and his message," Lahr said. "He is using our name and our colors, and we would like control over how that is done."

Bailey, who did not return phone calls for this story, reportedly felt like this attempt at control was too stifling. So last week in a phone call with Lahr, he offered to stop being Clipper Darrell. Lahr told him that might be a good idea, but that he should think about it. Bailey never phoned back, and then Wednesday afternoon issued the statement on his website, stunning a Clippers organization that thought he was being treated fairly.

"Somewhere along the line, he stopped being a super fan and became a marketer," Lahr said. "He got to the point where he wanted this to be a commercial enterprise."

The Clippers say they actually offered their cheerleader a chance to be treated exactly like a Clippers cheerleader, with a $70 nightly salary but no unsanctioned interviews or appearances, and he refused.

"He's a really good person, but he told us he's in this to make money," Lahr said. "Once that happens, that changes the whole fan dynamic."

Everyone who believes this conflict would have never arisen if the Clippers had not become a hot ticket should realize the team has been having these discussions with Bailey for five years.

And everyone who thinks Bailey is simply a Clippers "fan" should understand that several years ago, he says, he flew to Dallas to explore Mark Cuban's offer that he become a Mavericks "fan."

Many have said that the Clippers are Scrooges for not allowing Bailey to make money from their name. But it's not about the money, it's about the image.

"Shouldn't we have a responsibility in having some part in how he represents us?" Lahr said.

Bailey's most celebrated unsanctioned Clippers appearance occurred when he organized a parade without their knowledge in support of signing LeBron James, about to become a free agent. Even for an organization accustomed to embarrassment, it was truly a moment of humiliation. Fewer than 50 fans showed up and, because the parade was held amid the crowds and closed streets in front of Staples Center before a Lakers playoff game, the marchers had little room to march.

Darrell Bailey is, by all accounts, a nice man with a good heart. Here's hoping he will come back to Staples Center in full regalia when the team returns there March 11. Here's hoping he can agree to lead cheers without profiting from them. He might not be Clipper Darrell, but he'll always be the Clippers' Darrell, and here's hoping that's enough.

The Sleeze
03-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Dancing Barry...hahaha:laugh:

Naptown_Seth
03-02-2012, 01:26 PM
El Fanero you mean.

No, wait, I'm trademarking that now just in case the Pacers hardball him out of Pacero. Pay to play brotha.

Naptown_Seth
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Oh s***

Does that mean I have to move out of Indy?

What if I go with Knapptown Seth instead? Time to lawyer up I suppose.

Naptown_Seth
03-02-2012, 01:36 PM
You say that now, and then all of a sudden El Pacero starts to sell Pacers Lucha libre masks without consent from the Pacers...

It's the Clipper's intellectual property and so they obviously have the right to ask someone who they think is in breach. Darrell is lucky they're not suing him.
I beg to differ. Given the quality of the experiences he was "given" tickets to "enjoy" I'd say he has a solid case himself.

Confinement, torture, mental and emotional abuse, having to be near Donald Sterling...it's a pretty long list.

I don't think he was so much "going" to the games on "free" tickets as he was being hauled into a black van (or was it light blue and weird orange), forced to wear unpleasant outfits and then Clockwork (weird Clipper) Oranged into watching whatever it is that the Clippers normally do (allegedly basketball).

Poor b*****d. PTSD'd, Clipper-style

The guy probably can't hear a sneaker squeek without p***ing himself.

kielbeze
03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
The bigger question is, who the hell would buy that guy's merchandise?

I have an El Pacero mask
:picard:

vnzla81
03-02-2012, 05:18 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KBb7QDM8USs/Tnvo9LAwcDI/AAAAAAAAAA4/WB3hacW0bMI/s1600/energizerthread1.jpg

Sandman21
03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/otjSM9VaXwE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donald Sterling HAS NO SOUL!

Lance George
03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
They removed the video you posted, Sandman.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WW6b8owdhxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video: Clipper Darrell breaks down on Los Angeles sports news | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/video-clipper-darrell-breaks-down-los-angeles-sports-000852317.html)

Sandman21
03-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Well then Youtube has no soul either!

I'd bring up Disney as well, but everyone has known for years that they already have no soul!

Hibbert
03-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Pacers Yellowman has for bookings contact "his email address". First off, who would actually want to book him, this is the first year I have even seen/heard of him. Is he doing this for free tickets and to try and make money on the side? Isn't this somewhat the same thing as Clipper Darrell was doing? Minus the items for sale obviously....

Sandman21
03-18-2012, 01:46 AM
The Yellowman itself is new, the fan who portrays YM on the other hand is not (he stands in front of me in Area55), First of all, I have no idea if anyone has wanted to book him for parties, but the amount of people who come up to take a picture with him at games is up there with El Pacero and Superfan. I saw him walk into BLF today and literally about 6 people wanted to pose with him within 30 seconds of walking in the door.

Does that translate into people wanting him to appear at birthday parties? I have no idea, but at the sametime, if someone at the Pacers wanted him to drop the Pacers off his name, its not a big deal (heck, we all call him Yellowman anyway).

Plus it doesn't hurt that the Pacers aren't owned by a cheapskate prick either.

vapacersfan
03-19-2012, 04:54 PM
ESPN

Clipper Darrell' works out differences with team (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7710523/darrell-bailey-attend-los-angeles-clippers-games-clipper-darrell)

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7710523/darrell-bailey-attend-los-angeles-clippers-games-clipper-darrell