PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford Chat

PacerPride33
02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Heard that Celtics are planing on disbanding Big 3... what are the chances that Pierce is traded and what can they get for Pierce?

Chad Ford (1:17 PM)

I think Ainge would prefer to trade: Rondo, Allen, and KG in that order before Pierce. But Danny won't hesitate to pull the trigger if he can. Remember, he went through several miserable years of rebuilding from scratch. He doesn't want to go back to that place and frankly the Celtics are like a season and a half away from there. If he can make the moves now to shore up the future of the franchise, he will. The problem is that while Rondo, Allen, KG and Pierce are all excellent players, none of them have great trade value right now. Rondo has the most, but many teams are worried about chemistry issues with him. Allen and KG are well past their primes and are free agents next season. Pierce is better but he's due $16.8 million next year. I'm not sure how Danny pulls this off.

Mike (Boston)

Rondo & Dooling (expiring) to Indy for Granger

Chad Ford (1:20 PM)

There's great chemistry in Indy right now. I think that would be an interesting move, but I doubt they'd be willing to risk it.

Karan (Indy)

Larry Bird deserves a lot of credit for turning around the Pacers. This team was in the cellar after the brawl in Detroit and all those bad contracts. Does he take home executive of the year?

Chad Ford (1:29 PM)

Hands down in my opinion. He and David Morway have done a textbook job of turning around a down and out franchise in a small market. Draft well. Don't overpay. Focus on chemistry and value players at each position. Bird was a great player. A great coach. And as it turns out, a great exec too.

Cactus Jax
02-29-2012, 06:17 PM
There's no way the Celtics do that deal, not cause Granger isn't any good, but cause they have a clone in Pierce. He'd have to be involved in the trade or traded elsewhere first in order for that to be done.

Anthem
02-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Collison / Tyler / Stanko / 1st

for

Rondo / Jermaine.

Boston cuts 13mil of salary and escapes luxury tax hell. They get a solid starter, a super-sub, a Euro prospect, and a low draft pick.

DrFife
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I'd love that deal (even if we have to add Lance), although it'd make us thin at PF both now and in the future.

yoadknux
02-29-2012, 06:37 PM

for

Rondo / Jermaine.

Boston cuts 13mil of salary and escapes luxury tax hell. They get a solid starter, a super-sub, a Euro prospect, and a low draft pick.
I don't see a reason for the Celtics to take this deal...

purdue101
02-29-2012, 06:39 PM

for

Rondo / Jermaine.

Throw in another 1st on our end and have them include Bass (who is somewhat similar to Hansbrough). They save an absolute ton of money (like $25M w/ LT considerations) and get nice rebuilding pieces. Rondo/PG/DG/West/Hibbert w/ AJ/Hill/DJ/Bass off the bench could contend. We would still have enough cap room to resign Hibbert & Hill.

Lance George
02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
If we can pick up Rondo without moving Granger, Hibbert, or George, Larry Bird should be upgraded from Basketball Jesus to Basketball God.

I don't think it's possible. Prove me wrong, Mr. Bird.

ilive4sports
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM

for

Rondo / Jermaine.

You lost me at Stanko

Anthem
02-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Throw in another 1st on our end and have them include Bass (who is somewhat similar to Hansbrough).
Instead of Jermaine, or in addition to him? With both Jermaine and Bass in the deal, we can't absorb all of the salary.

EDIT: Although the trade (http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6uzm6b5) works if you include Lou.

Anthem
02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't see a reason for the Celtics to take this deal...
Depends on how wild they are about paying 15mil in luxury tax for a team that could legitimately miss the playoffs.

yoadknux
02-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Depends on how wild they are about paying 15mil in luxury tax for a team that could legitimately miss the playoffs.
But Rondo isn't a salary dump type of player. He's a young all-star point guard that has a good contract.
If they want to shed salary they will trade KG or Allen, not Rondo. And if they do trade Rondo they won't do it for spare parts.

TheDon
02-29-2012, 08:27 PM

for

Rondo / Jermaine.

:pray:

pwee31
02-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Let's remember that the only reason we were in the Rondo talks before, was b/c the Celtics were trying to get Chris Paul. The Pacers were only going to get Rondo b/c the Hornets didn't want him.

Hornets also wanted either George or Granger on top of Collison, Hansbrouh and pick.

Heisenberg
02-29-2012, 08:52 PM
It's still a red flag to me that they still seem willing to deal Rondo despite it not being in a Chris Paul scenario. Young, friendly contract. I've never really given much credence to his "attitude problems" or whatever, but there's gotta be something there.

Day-V
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
It's still a red flag to me that they still seem willing to deal Rondo despite it not being in a Chris Paul scenario. Young, friendly contract. I've never really given much credence to his "attitude problems" or whatever, but there's gotta be something there.

I wonder if Danny Ainge is just crazy. That Perkins for Green trade last year was a real head-scrather, considering how well the C's were rolling at the time.

Let's just hope he's crazy enough to do another trade like that! :pray:

Trader Joe
02-29-2012, 09:16 PM
So Ford doesn't think we'd do a Rondo for Granger swap essentially? interesting.

danman
02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
I'd sooner offer Danny and our #1 pick for Pierce.

I like Rondo on the court, but there have been waaay too many mutterings about him off court.

LA_Confidential
02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
So Ford doesn't think we'd do a Rondo for Granger swap essentially? interesting.

I hope he's right. I'd rather not sacrifice Danny at this point unless its for a " no brainer deal". He's too valuable to this team

Anthem
02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
But Rondo isn't a salary dump type of player. He's a young all-star point guard that has a good contract.
If they want to shed salary they will trade KG or Allen, not Rondo. And if they do trade Rondo they won't do it for spare parts.
Sure, Rondo's not a salary dump type player. But Jermaine is. They'll have to pay somebody to take him... say a poor first-round pick. But bundling him with Rondo, they're getting back a pick. It's a two-pick swing.

Think of it as two separate trades: Jermaine and a lotto-protected future first for cap space as a salary dump. Then Collison, Hans, and two first-rounders (theirs back, plus ours).

As for the trades, we'll see. If you're getting ready for a rebuild, getting a starting PG and a talented and popular PF isn't exactly "spare parts."

It's very difficult to imagine them getting equal value for Rondo, that's for sure.

TheDavisBrothers
02-29-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry but there's no way in hell Boston is trading Rondo when the best player they are getting back is Collision, regardless of salary

LA_Confidential
02-29-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm sorry but there's no way in hell Boston is trading Rondo when the best player they are getting back is Collision, regardless of salary

Hans would be the "prize" for the C's. Collison is just to ease the loss of Rondo, plus cap relief and whatever package of picks we send their way.

Tyler, DC, Jeff Green, a bunch of cap space and a few picks are decent building blocks for the future.

TheDavisBrothers
02-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Hans would be the "prize" for the C's. Collison is just to ease the loss of Rondo, plus cap relief and whatever package of picks we send their way.

Tyler, DC, Jeff Green, a bunch of cap space and a few picks are decent building blocks for the future.

If they have seen him this year, and they would if they were trading for him, they would know that he's not a guy to build around

ps: don't get me wrong Hans could be the best 6th man in the league in the future, but you don't build around 6th men

vnzla81
02-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Yeah the best trade we can do with Boston would be to send DC+West+Foster for Rondo+Bass+JO that could probably work.

vnzla81
02-29-2012, 11:50 PM
If they have seen him this year, and they would if they were trading for him, they would know that he's not a guy to build around

I agree with this and I like Tyler.

PR07
02-29-2012, 11:54 PM
We aren't getting Rondo for Collison and fodder. This guy was discussed for Chris Paul and now Steph Curry, and now he's suddenly going for a guy that was traded for Troy Murphy not too long ago? Puh-lease, let's take the blue and gold colored glasses off.

yoadknux
03-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Sure, Rondo's not a salary dump type player. But Jermaine is. They'll have to pay somebody to take him... say a poor first-round pick. But bundling him with Rondo, they're getting back a pick. It's a two-pick swing.

Think of it as two separate trades: Jermaine and a lotto-protected future first for cap space as a salary dump. Then Collison, Hans, and two first-rounders (theirs back, plus ours).

As for the trades, we'll see. If you're getting ready for a rebuild, getting a starting PG and a talented and popular PF isn't exactly "spare parts."

It's very difficult to imagine them getting equal value for Rondo, that's for sure.
The Celtics would never give away JO for free to a possible playoffs rival and they would never send his expiring contract with a 1st round pick just for someone to take him. It doesn't make sense at all. For this trade to work we need to take on a bad contract, not an expiring.

Hansbrough is not a rebuilding piece. He's a 26 years old PF that shoots 39% from the field. What's so attractive about it?
Collison has some trade value, but it's just not enough value to get Rondo

King Tuts Tomb
03-01-2012, 07:10 AM
No basis in reality but I love this three team trade between Boston, Memphis and Indy:

Pacers get Rondo

Memphis gets Hansbrough

Boston gets OJ Mayo, Collison and Pacers first

PacerGuy
03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
We aren't getting Rondo for Collison and fodder. This guy was discussed for Chris Paul and now Steph Curry, and now he's suddenly going for a guy that was traded for Troy Murphy not too long ago? Puh-lease, let's take the blue and gold colored glasses off.

the difference - the BIG difference - is at the beginning of the season BOS thought they were a top 3 seed & a real contender, now they obviously don't. At the beginning of the season the Rondo attitude issues were out there, but not as much, thus affecting his value. Things have actually gotten worse (or maybe just more public), and that comes from straight out of BOS/BOS press. Add in concerns of what he can do w/o a "big 3" around him, his limited offensive game (esp. his outside shot), & his 3/36 mil contract when the new lux tax are about to kick in, & his value is not as high as fans think it should be. If BOS really wants out of the Rajon Rondo business, and they are sellers in a buyers market, they will have to settle for less. How much less is YTBD, but that is what LB & KP are there for.

PS. unless I am mistaken, Rondo did not get traded for CP3, he was OFFERED. NOH obviously did not take that deal, and there is no indication that there was any intrest in him. I do not see it as relevient to the conversation, nor discounts the Pacers offer of significant cap/tax savings, pick,s & youth (DC=?) for what BOS obviously no longer wants.