PDA

View Full Version : Lance to only get minutes during blowouts?

90'sNBARocked
02-29-2012, 12:30 AM
http://www.sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/43967394-0e69-447d-aa47-074c41438c6d/?source=twitter

Mike Wells

Vogel said before the game that he plans to use A.J. Price as the backup PG and Hill as the backup SG for the time being. That means the few Lance Stephenson was getting will likely decrease even more barring a blowout. about 5 hours ago

Now can we put to rest the idea Vogel is forced to play Lance because of Bird?

Eleazar
02-29-2012, 12:41 AM
http://www.sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/43967394-0e69-447d-aa47-074c41438c6d/?source=twitter

Mike Wells

Now can we put to rest the idea Vogel is forced to play Lance because of Bird?

That doesn't mean it wasn't Bird's idea, or that it was Vogel's. It just means Price has forced them to play him.

spazzxb
02-29-2012, 02:22 AM
That doesn't mean it wasn't Bird's idea, or that it was Vogel's. It just means Price has forced them to play him.

Certain people were saying lance only played because Larry forced Frank. This proves Vogel isn't under a mandate as conspiracy theorist would imply. I am sure alot of ideas get thrown around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Eleazar
02-29-2012, 02:29 AM
Certain people were saying lance only played because Larry forced Frank. This proves Vogel isn't under a mandate as conspiracy theorist would imply. I am sure alot of ideas get thrown around.

No this proves nothing. It could have been Vogel was under mandate, but after seeing Price play for an extended period of time Bird realized his error. There are a million things this could mean, but there is only one that is not speculation, Price has forced them to play him because of how he has played on the court.

Bball
02-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Could it be that Lance hadn't progress as hoped as shown with his extended minutes during Hill's absence which made his previous spoonfed minutes look more questionable... while in turn Price did nothing but improve with his minutes which made Lance's spoonfed minutes look even more questionable?

IOW... Lance was getting minutes to try and bring him along in the NBA. Then when he was needed for anything more than some token managed minutes he did nothing with that opportunity except show he still wasn't ready. Meanwhile, Price showed he could be more effective than Lance currently... and so it's now time for the stretch run so time to put away the Lance experiment for down the road and go with the effective players. Lance will get another opportunity I'm sure but it will take an injury or new season. He just needs to keep working on his game and be ready when that opportunity calls.

gummy
02-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Sounds right to me. The bench could use some stability and I think having Hill and Price playing with each other consistently will help.

2minutes twoa
02-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Sounds right to me. The bench could use some stability and I think having Hill and Price playing with each other consistently will help.

I agree. Also, DJones has been playing very solid. He gets the call off the bench before Lance as well IMO.

McKeyFan
02-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Could it be that Lance hadn't progress as hoped as shown with his extended minutes during Hill's absence which made his previous spoonfed minutes look more questionable... while in turn Price did nothing but improve with his minutes which made Lance's spoonfed minutes look even more questionable?

IOW... Lance was getting minutes to try and bring him along in the NBA. Then when he was needed for anything more than some token managed minutes he did nothing with that opportunity except show he still wasn't ready. Meanwhile, Price showed he could be more effective than Lance currently... and so it's now time for the stretch run so time to put away the Lance experiment for down the road and go with the effective players. Lance will get another opportunity I'm sure but it will take an injury or new season. He just needs to keep working on his game and be ready when that opportunity calls.
That. And also there's a strong chance that a move at the deadline may cause the whole discussion to become moot.

Pacer Fan
02-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Thats one step forward towards improvement!

90'sNBARocked
02-29-2012, 08:15 AM

My point was , Vogel has decided to play AJ , not Lance so, it shows Bird is not forcing Vogel to play Lance , like had been rummored.

90'sNBARocked
02-29-2012, 08:19 AM

Dont feel like debating , but will just say I disagree, and he did show a lot of improvement and potential. I dont think Vogel was told to play Lance , I think he earned it. Vogel views AJ as a back up PG, and Hill the back up SG. Thats why Lance's minutes will get cut, because Vogel see's Lance as a 2 and hill is better at this time

Lance didnt lose his spot because of AJ, but because of G Hill, and Vogel deaming Lance a SG

luis3ep
02-29-2012, 08:45 AM
It's hard for Lance to be effective when: 1.) he's not handling the ball much at all 2.) they have NO plays for him, so he basically has to just sit there in the corner.

Guys, it's not hard at all... we've seen glimpses of what Lance is capable of, he's just really excited out there and sometimes tries too hard and messes up. When he's on it, no one on this team is capable of passing the ball like him or dribbling past his opponent and driving to the hoop. If the team actually "gave him the keys to the car" he would easily show his worth. It makes me mad seeing him being so limited.. they make him the last option offensively when he's out there which is a joke because he's easily the most talented offensive player when he's out there with the second-third team. He's medium risk high reward in my eyes. The question hasn't been " i wonder if he's gonna stay out of trouble" anymore.. it's "can he prove it on the court now?" which is a nice thing to worry about because those who know a little about the game know he'll be good if he keeps up the hard work and cuts down on the turnovers.

not to compare him to Jeremy Lin, but if the pacers "handed him the keys" for the # of games Lin played for the Knicks before all star break, i'm sure he'd have less turnovers, although i'm very sure not as much points. The guy just needs to PLAY!!

/rant

BillS
02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
we've seen glimpses of what Lance is capable of, he's just really excited out there and sometimes tries too hard and messes up.
:
:
If the team actually "gave him the keys to the car" he would easily show his worth.

Or he'd total the car.

These glimpses are nice but they aren't enough for me to declare him badly treated because he has to practice first.

vnzla81
02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
They could be trying to showcase some of the players before the trade deadline too.

duke dynamite
02-29-2012, 09:44 AM
I am extremely pleased with the intensity and great play of AJ right now. A combination of that and Hill being back, I can't be too upset. As long as we keep winning games, I don't care who is out there.

Ownagedood
02-29-2012, 10:08 AM
If we could safely send Lance to the D-League without anyone taking him, I would want to do that for a few games. He's still very young and has great talent. Price is just outplaying him by far right now. I hope the team doesn't give up on Lance. I feel he really does have special talent that just needs improvement and worked on. Don't give up on him yet, Pacers! However, I think he does need playing time, so D-League could provide that for him, even though its lower talent.

Sparhawk
02-29-2012, 10:20 AM

It's easy to put up numbers when you have the ball in your hands. Most of the time Lance was out there, no plays were drawn up for him and he was relegated to standing in a corner. When there is a fast break, Lance is better than Price and DC.

I'm not saying Lance is better than Price right now, but I'm saying it's easier for Price to put up numbers simply cause he has the ball more. He's shooting well, but he's streaky and his cold streaks tend to be longer than his hot streaks. We'll see if Price has finally found some consistency. Also, I don't think Price is very good at facilitating.

I just wish they'd send Lance down to the DLeague to work on his game more. Getting 30 minutes a night, work on his jump shot and learning to control a game without getting TOs.

Mackey_Rose
02-29-2012, 10:21 AM

I have no idea how you read this tweet, and then made the flying leap to "this proves" anything.

It proves absolutely nothing.

90'sNBARocked
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Or he'd total the car.

These glimpses are nice but they aren't enough for me to declare him badly treated because he has to practice first.

Zing, even I had to laugh at that one

Nice work Sir :)

90'sNBARocked
02-29-2012, 10:28 AM
I have no idea how you read this tweet, and then made the flying leap to "this proves" anything.

I think it does prove something. It proves that Vogel coaches how he see's fit and Bird allows that.

I think Bird might have said something earlier before the start of the season, along the lines of "try and get a few spot minutes for Lance, if you can, and if he deserves it. Then Hill got hurt and Lance's role expanded. Hill comes back and Vogel likes AJ as the back up point guard. Lance minutes cut, Vogels decision

Sparhawk
02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Or he'd total the car.

While I would love to hand Lance the keys and let him play, that would just be a bad move right now since we are a playoff team. He hasn't shown himself capable of anything. He'll have 1 really good game and it immediately goes to his head and he'll make stupid mistakes the next.

I do think the DLeague would be beneficial, but the Pacers don't seem keen on using the DLeague for any purpose. Getting big minutes to work on his game while at the same time not hurting the Pacers would be a good thing. He's got to work on his mid range jumper and learn how to control a game without committing a massive amount of TOs.

Mackey_Rose
02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I think it does prove something. It proves that Vogel coaches how he see's fit and Bird allows that.

I think Bird might have said something earlier before the start of the season, along the lines of "try and get a few spot minutes for Lance, if you can, and if he deserves it. Then Hill got hurt and Lance's role expanded. Hill comes back and Vogel likes AJ as the back up point guard. Lance minutes cut, Vogels decision

How does Wells' tweet prove that? Tell me which part of what you're reading makes you think it proves something.

It doesn't. Really. It doesn't.

xIndyFan
02-29-2012, 10:33 AM
wow, amazed at the lance hate.

don't understand that at all.

i agree with 90's that playing lance was vogel's idea. and it looks like it will take longer than a year to get lance ready for full time duty. i disagree with luis that lance is ready to play. he is better. but not ready to play full time. and right now, he is not good enough. dahntay is better, AJ is better, hill is better. what lance has to do right now is get to work on his game and get himself better. lance has more talent than hill, than AJ. than dahntay. he just needs to develop it.

personally i'm rooting for lance. he looks like a guy that can play. and be a good player. i hope he gets his stuff together and has a break out year next year.

Sparhawk
02-29-2012, 10:34 AM

i agree with 90's that playing lance was vogel's idea. and it looks like it will take longer than a year to get lance ready for full time duty. i disagree with luis that lance is ready to play. he is better. but not ready to play full time. and right now, he is not good enough. dahntay is better, AJ is better, hill is better. what lance has to do right now is get to work on his game and get himself better. lance has more talent than hill, than AJ. than dahntay. he just needs to develop it.

personally i'm rooting for lance. he looks like a guy that can play. and be a good player. i hope he gets his stuff together and has a break out year next year.

Nicely said.

Mackey_Rose
02-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Who is hating on Lance?

Lance George
02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Price has raised his shooting percentage to a blistering 37%. Of course, once defenses start to focus more on him, we can expect it to plummet. He's also at 1.9:1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Stockton, Magic: Watch out!

McKeyFan
02-29-2012, 10:45 AM

I haven't seen the tweet so don't know what that has to do with it.

But, apart from the tweet, the fact that Vogel benched Lance for AJ does seem to "prove" the point that Vogel is not under a current "mandate" from Bird to give Lance a certain amount of minutes each game.

Hibbert
02-29-2012, 10:53 AM
It's hard for Lance to be effective when: 1.) he's not handling the ball much at all 2.) they have NO plays for him, so he basically has to just sit there in the corner.

Guys, it's not hard at all... we've seen glimpses of what Lance is capable of, he's just really excited out there and sometimes tries too hard and messes up. When he's on it, no one on this team is capable of passing the ball like him or dribbling past his opponent and driving to the hoop. If the team actually "gave him the keys to the car" he would easily show his worth. It makes me mad seeing him being so limited.. they make him the last option offensively when he's out there which is a joke because he's easily the most talented offensive player when he's out there with the second-third team. He's medium risk high reward in my eyes. The question hasn't been " i wonder if he's gonna stay out of trouble" anymore.. it's "can he prove it on the court now?" which is a nice thing to worry about because those who know a little about the game know he'll be good if he keeps up the hard work and cuts down on the turnovers.

not to compare him to Jeremy Lin, but if the pacers "handed him the keys" for the # of games Lin played for the Knicks before all star break, i'm sure he'd have less turnovers, although i'm very sure not as much points. The guy just needs to PLAY!!

/rant
I like your post but to be real, we cannot afford to do this right now with it being halfway through the season. Maybe next year, I'm rooting for Lance too.

Mackey_Rose
02-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I haven't seen the tweet so don't know what that has to do with it.

But, apart from the tweet, the fact that Vogel benched Lance for AJ does seem to "prove" the point that Vogel is not under a current "mandate" from Bird to give Lance a certain amount of minutes each game.

It's certainly possible that Bird backed off any mandate, that may have been in place before, once he realized that AJ was a better player for the team.

90'sNBARocked
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
How does Wells' tweet prove that? Tell me which part of what you're reading makes you think it proves something.

It doesn't. Really. It doesn't.

MAckey

Had to juice up on caffine to go at you :)

Vogel's tweet said AJ will play, Lance basically only in blowout or emergency

This we can end the rummor that Vogel somehow was mandates to play Lance siognificant minutes, by Bird

Hicks
02-29-2012, 11:48 AM

But (hypothetically) if Bird was telling Frank to play Lance in the first place, that would suggest Vogel ALREADY thought AJ Price was the better choice to put in the rotation. So, what, now Frank decided to stop listening to Bird just because AJ had some good games? He already felt like AJ was better to begin with in this hypothetical to begin with!

Hicks
02-29-2012, 11:50 AM
No this proves nothing. It could have been Vogel was under mandate, but after seeing Price play for an extended period of time Bird realized his error. There are a million things this could mean, but there is only one that is not speculation, Price has forced them to play him because of how he has played on the court.

I guess I'm a little bit hung up on your choice of words here. "Force". Did he really force him? Is that really the right word for this situation? If I bust my butt at work and eventually my boss decides to promote me, did I really "force" him to do it, or did I EARN it? I think earn might be a better choice than force.

It's semantics, but still.

Hicks
02-29-2012, 11:54 AM

It proves that IF there WAS a mandate from Bird, it's obviously not still in effect, or otherwise that Vogel has now defied Bird.

MTM
02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
It will be interesting to see whether Larry makes a trade to try to improve the roster at the same time Coach Vogel is trying to streamline his rotations to get us ready for the post-season. If a trade is made, this whole experimenting process will have to be done all over again. That's why I hope, if a trade gets made, it happens sooner rather than later, so the team is accustomed to the respective roles of each player by the time we hit April.

Hicks
02-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Price has raised his shooting percentage to a blistering 37%. Of course, once defenses start to focus more on him, we can expect it to plummet. He's also at 1.9:1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Stockton, Magic: Watch out!

I don't see why defenses are going to start "focusing" on a player like AJ Price. It's not worth the effort, to be honest.

Mackey_Rose
02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
MAckey

Had to juice up on caffine to go at you :)

Vogel's tweet said AJ will play, Lance basically only in blowout or emergency

This we can end the rummor that Vogel somehow was mandates to play Lance siognificant minutes, by Bird

Better pop another 5 Hour.

It wasn't Vogel's tweet. It was a tweet from Mike Wells.

Vogel said that AJ will be the backup point guard, and Hill the backup shooting guard. Wells then inferred, based on this information, that Lance would only be getting spot minutes in blowout situations.

Just because he is no longer being mandated to play Lance, doesn't mean that he wasn't mandated before. It would be just as easy to speculate that Bird recognized the error of his ways and backed off, allowing Vogel to make the decisions.

pacergod2
02-29-2012, 12:19 PM
The thing that gets proven here is that Lance is somewhere between 11-13 in the rotation as he should be at this juncture of his career. I don't think too many people aren't enamored by the raw ability of Lance. It is the lack of basketball maturity and IQ that he is working on. I see the improvement. It might be subtle, but I love how he has begun to work to spots and pass the ball to initiate the offense. It is something that he is consciously doing and there shouldn't be plays run FOR a guy who is 11-13 in the rotation, unless the game is not on the line or we are dealing with a bad foul situation one game. Lance needs to fit into the offense before he can be a full-time passenger on this bus, let alone handed ANY keys.

pacergod2
02-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Also, Bird has repeatedly said he lets his coaches coach. That he doesn't get in the way, but is just there to support the coaching staff.

So I don't know why there was ever a rumor that Bird mandated anything. We have a very talented young kid that needs to get his feet wet and our coaching staff isn't too stupid to realize that, let alone be mandated by a hands-off GM.

ksuttonjr76
02-29-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm not too surprised. Admittedly, Price has played pretty well for the past couple of games. Honestly, I just think it's more Vogel shortening his rotation with more "NBA ready" players, than a demotion of Lance. Personally, I REALLY like the potential of Lance, and I do believe he has the better court vision, passing skills, and one-on-one dribble penetration skills than DC and Price just based on his raw talent. If he continues to improve at the same pace (preferably quicker) and with the same passion as Roy Hibbert, then we should be to contend each year easily.

Truth be told, I REALLY wish that the Pacers would send him to D-League where he could get consistent minutes to grow his skills, so he can contribute immediately next season.

90'sNBARocked
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Better pop another 5 Hour.

It wasn't Vogel's tweet. It was a tweet from Mike Wells.

Vogel said that AJ will be the backup point guard, and Hill the backup shooting guard. Wells then inferred, based on this information, that Lance would only be getting spot minutes in blowout situations.

Just because he is no longer being mandated to play Lance, doesn't mean that he wasn't mandated before. It would be just as easy to speculate that Bird recognized the error of his ways and backed off, allowing Vogel to make the decisions.

You just like to argue brah

Its been understood here my point by many others, anything else is semantics

luis3ep
02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Anyone remember the tweets Mike Wells would post last season as to why Lance wasn't getting any PT? i recall him repeatedly bashing his defense and how he had to step it up. Call me blind but i think he's picked it up on the defensive end tremendously in just a season. He looks motivated when he's guarding his guy, moving feet, active hands.. drastic increase compared to last year. He's not a good defender yet, but he's getting there.

I should rephrase myself when i said "giving him the keys to the car" i didn't mean up his minutes to 20-25 a game, what i meant was giving him more liberty out there and letting him do what he wants to do. I hear all this talk about him being a beast in practice but not showing up in games. Practice is nothing like a real game as well all know. Intensity mainly. Practice is more loose and lance can maybe show off or do some fancy things but in a game, he's still not used to the speed of the game and his teammates tendencies. I don't blame him for some of his turnovers although.. i recall a couple plays with (mainly Granger) where he doest a nice pass and they don't expect it and a turnover is committed. Larry called him the most talented player on the pacers for a reason. anyone can and should be able to see the potential this kid has. High ceiling. higher than DC for sure.

I was against it but i suppose a D-League call up would help him a lot. More minutes, more freedom on the court and competitive basketball!! As you can see i'm a huge Stephenson fan, and want this guy to live up to his potential. He looks like he's on the right path, i just hope he doesn't lose patience and a.) do something stupid b.) go somewhere else.

Mackey_Rose
02-29-2012, 02:08 PM
You just like to argue brah

Its been understood here my point by many others, anything else is semantics

I understood what your point was, but that doesn't make it accurate. Wells' tweet does not prove anything with regards to a possible Bird mandate.

pizza guy
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
To think that Bird wanted Lance to get some developmental minutes early in the season is perfectly reasonable, and if that was the case, I can't complain about his number of minutes. Now that we're past the all star break, is it that unreasonable to think that the powers that be are putting the project aside to focus on the home stretch?

AJ has earned his time and we obviously have to make the most of the remaining games, so bringing Lance along is lower priority now.

Sookie
02-29-2012, 02:31 PM
But (hypothetically) if Bird was telling Frank to play Lance in the first place, that would suggest Vogel ALREADY thought AJ Price was the better choice to put in the rotation. So, what, now Frank decided to stop listening to Bird just because AJ had some good games? He already felt like AJ was better to begin with in this hypothetical to begin with!

I think that was always pretty obvious though. When Lance was hurt, AJ got a significantly more amount of minutes than Lance would. (like 15 to 9)

It's possibly a number of things. Larry wanted to see how Lance would develop for the first half of the season, so he "mandated" or "requested" Lance get some minutes now. Or AJ's play could have forced Larry's hand. Or the fact that Hill is coming back from injury and we're heading for a tough stretch could mean that we need someone more stable like AJ out there. Or they're hoping his good play will continue, and he - instead of another young play like Tyler, could be used as a "sweetener" type player in a deal.

But I do think the bottom line is AJ forced them to play him. You just don't bench someone who is playing like AJ is playing. He took DC's minutes twice, kept the bench afloot when no one else was scoring a few times. For the most part, he's been very good defensively. Lance just isn't ready to help out the way AJ currently can.

90'sNBARocked
02-29-2012, 03:12 PM
I think that was always pretty obvious though. When Lance was hurt, AJ got a significantly more amount of minutes than Lance would. (like 15 to 9)

It's possible a number of things. Larry wanted to see how Lance would develop for the first half of the season, so he "mandated" or "requested" Lance get some minutes now. Or AJ's play could have forced Larry's hand. Or the fact that Hill is coming back from injury and we're heading for a tough stretch could mean that we need someone more stable like AJ out there. Or they're hoping his good play will continue, and he - instead of another young play like Tyler, could be used as a "sweetener" type player in a deal.

But I do think the bottom line is AJ forced them to play him. You just don't bench someone who is playing like AJ is playing. He took DC's minutes twice, kept the bench afloot when no one else was scoring a few times. For the most part, he's been very good defensively. Lance just isn't ready to help out the way AJ currently can.

Well put, I agree with the bolded part

McKeyFan
02-29-2012, 03:58 PM
To think that Bird wanted Lance to get some developmental minutes early in the season is perfectly reasonable, and if that was the case, I can't complain about his number of minutes. Now that we're past the all star break, is it that unreasonable to think that the powers that be are putting the project aside to focus on the home stretch?

Yes. But let's also remember that Vogel may have agreed with Bird on the need for developmental minutes and Bird may have agreed with Vogel that the experiment should end for now. Heck, Vogel may have initiated Lance's early minutes, and Bird may have suggested he get benched.

In fact, it's all speculation.

CJ Jones
02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Who is hating on Lance?

It kinda sounds like you are if you're the one that came up with the theory. Why would someone even think it up if they didn't?

As far as the switch is concerned... I'm obviously not happy about it, but I'll continue to root on AJ like I have been. He's a good player, good teammate and he deserves to play. I just hope one day soon Lance gets the same opportunity AJ's had to prove himself with the ball in his hands.

p.s. If the team has decided Hill's not a pg then trading Leonard for him was an awful decision IMO.

AesopRockOn
02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
In that case, I'm hoping to see a lot more of Lance this season.

Anthem
02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Has anybody considered the idea that maybe we gave him developmental minutes early in the season, and now we're focused on the playoff push?

Lance George
02-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Has anybody considered the idea that maybe we gave him developmental minutes early in the season, and now we're focused on the playoff push?

pizza guy, seven posts up.

Anthem
02-29-2012, 09:59 PM
pizza guy, seven posts up.
Yeah, I'm just gonna stop posting for the night. Missing obvious stuff everywhere.

spazzxb
02-29-2012, 10:13 PM

AJ has earned his time and we obviously have to make the most of the remaining games, so bringing Lance along is lower priority now.

The problem is the insistence that the only way Vogel would ever play lance was that he was being forced and that Vogel was lying when he said Lance was earning his minutes. It's a BS position certain people treat as if its the gospel truth. There guy is playing now, there still pushing it.

How can it possibly be anything more than a theory? It cannot be proven or disproven so we could argue for ever, however I am not the one basically calling Vogel Birds puppet. Why would someone who claims to like Vogel insult him like that?

There isn't even one example that even suggest the theory is true. Its an idea that , as far as I know, simply evolved from a person who couldn't accept that Lance was playing and AJ wasn't.

PR07
02-29-2012, 10:59 PM
I look at Lance as the joker, not every deck needs one, but he can definitely change a game. I'm not sure he's consistent enough, particularly with his jumpshot to consistently be a key rotation player, but he's a nice difference maker off the bench to maybe spark a team if we need some life.