PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy Comeback

PaulGeorge
02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

In an interview with Dubi Pick of Eurobasket, Brandon Roy had this to say about a possible comeback: "It's hard being away from the game. Don't be surprised if you see Brandon Roy make his way back to the court ... It's the truth. It's really hard being so far away from the game ... I believe there's a good chance you will see Brandon Roy back hoopin'."

Tweeted frequent ESPN Insider contributor and Pacific Northwest resident Kevin Pelton: "Sounds like the Brandon Roy comeback has legs."

Roy was forced into retirement after last season due to chronic knee problems.

While Roy does indeed appear to be seriously considering a comeback, whether his knees will be able to hold up over the rigors of a season -- and whether an NBA squad is willing to give him a guaranteed contract based on this risk -- remains to be seen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all know the toughest thing for any pro athlete to do is hang up the jersey and call it a career. Especially when they are forced to retire at a young age.

With that said I do believe Roy will try to make a comeback and I'm sure he will go to any team that takes him. The Pacers have a great medical staff and I'm sure that would figure into Roy's thinking.

So would you be happy if the Pacers got Roy at a reasonable price and limited his minutes off the bench. Say Granger gets traded in the off season and we move PG to SF and sign a starting SG or trade for one. Would you be open to Brandon coming off the bench?

BrownBearCoffee
02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
This is an interesting article. I am pulling for Brandon. Brandon Roy the player I would love to have. I think he is an incredibly smart and passionate ball player.

His medical liabilities, on the other hand, would worry me. I guess I would just say that if our staff cleared him, I would trust them and welcome him, as long as the contract wasn't ludicrous.

All that being said, is it just me, or does anyone else smell Phoenix as the end result here?

LoneGranger33
02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
LoneGranger33 thinks giving Brandon Roy another shot in the NBA is a low-risk, high-reward move. He's a high-character guy with great skills and a real passion for the game. I believe there's a good chance you'll see LoneGranger33 supporting him in his return, here or elsewhere.

PacersHomer
02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I hope he can recover and make a return. I'd love to see him here if he is cleared to play again.

Ownagedood
02-28-2012, 04:46 PM
He doesn't like being away from the game. But his body isn't gonna let him be around it regularly. Very unfortunate. :(

vnzla81
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
vnzla81 does not believe he is coming back.

Dgreenwell3
02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
vnzla81 does not believe he is coming back.

Not sure I can respect anyone who speaks in third person, much less types...

vnzla81
02-28-2012, 04:52 PM

vnzla81 disagrees with your message.

Justin Tyme
02-28-2012, 04:56 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

In an interview with Dubi Pick of Eurobasket, Brandon Roy had this to say about a possible comeback: "It's hard being away from the game. Don't be surprised if you see Brandon Roy make his way back to the court ... It's the truth. It's really hard being so far away from the game ... I believe there's a good chance you will see Brandon Roy back hoopin'."

Tweeted frequent ESPN Insider contributor and Pacific Northwest resident Kevin Pelton: "Sounds like the Brandon Roy comeback has legs."

Roy was forced into retirement after last season due to chronic knee problems.

While Roy does indeed appear to be seriously considering a comeback, whether his knees will be able to hold up over the rigors of a season -- and whether an NBA squad is willing to give him a guaranteed contract based on this risk -- remains to be seen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all know the toughest thing for any pro athlete to do is hang up the jersey and call it a career. Especially when they are forced to retire at a young age.

With that said I do believe Roy will try to make a comeback and I'm sure he will go to any team that takes him. The Pacers have a great medical staff and I'm sure that would figure into Roy's thinking.

So would you be happy if the Pacers got Roy at a reasonable price and limited his minutes off the bench. Say Granger gets traded in the off season and we move PG to SF and sign a starting SG or trade for one. Would you be open to Brandon coming off the bench?

Geez, when are people going to figure it out that Paul George isn't as SF!! He can't play SF as he's not strong enough physically to do it. He was drafted to be Rush's replacement NOT Granger's replacement. Maybe down the road if PG puts on some muscle and gets stronger he could play SF. There is a reason why Dahntay is the b/u SF, and not PG. This trying to pigeonhole players into playing different positions gets ridiculous. 6 or so years ago many wanted to shoehorn Granger into being the SG. Granger IS A SF. That's his natural position. Let PG play the position he's most adapted to play... SG.

TheDon
02-28-2012, 04:57 PM

:therock:

jeffg-body
02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
I would be thrilled if we would give the kid another shot, especially that it would definitely be a possible low risk/high reward situation.

LoneGranger33
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM

vnzla81 disagrees with your message.

Don't be surprised if you see LoneGranger33 express disappointment with this response either.

PacerDude
02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Not sure Dgreenwell3 can respect anyone who speaks in third person, much less types...

PacerDude says it's fixed.

PaulGeorge
02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Geez, when are people going to figure it out that Paul George isn't as SF!! He can't play SF as he's not strong enough physically to do it. He was drafted to be Rush's replacement NOT Granger's replacement. Maybe down the road if PG puts on some muscle and gets stronger he could play SF. There is a reason why Dahntay is the b/u SF, and not PG. This trying to pigeonhole players into playing different positions gets ridiculous. 6 or so years ago many wanted to shoehorn Granger into being the SG. Granger IS A SF. That's his natural position. Let PG play the position he's most adapted to play... SG.

I'm not going to waste time to argue with you but, your argument is invalid on many levels.

BRushWithDeath
02-28-2012, 05:14 PM

BRushWithDeath is saddened to report that unfortunately those legs have no cartilage.

Major Cold
02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
There is a greater chance of me posting in the 4th person than for Brandon Roy to make a comeback. Allan Houston all over again.

sportfireman
02-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the laugh guys.:laugh:

Hoop
02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Hoop is enjoying this thread very much. :cool:

5_7_Clash
02-28-2012, 06:41 PM
This just in: "Ricky Henderson Does a Great Brandon Roy Impression"

Film at 11...

ejwallace
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
I have to wonder, if he were to come back, would he be considered as a free agent, or would Portland hold rights to him still. He is still getting $64 million from the Blazers. Would his return negate their responsibility to fulfill his "medical retirement" contract?

In fact, for him to be even considered for medical retirement, doesn't a league appointed doctor have to state that he is not able to play in the NBA?

shags
02-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I have to wonder, if he were to come back, would he be considered as a free agent, or would Portland hold rights to him still. He is still getting $64 million from the Blazers. Would his return negate their responsibility to fulfill his "medical retirement" contract?

In fact, for him to be even considered for medical retirement, doesn't a league appointed doctor have to state that he is not able to play in the NBA?

shags is pretty sure that Portland can't re-sign him because they amnestied him for 2 more years. And shags thinks that the NBA may step in and not allow him to sign with any team this season. shags remembers a similar thing happening to Jason "White Chocolate" Williams a few years ago, shags thinks.

:)

Pacerized
02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
If he does try a comeback before his contract is up, he should be put on the amnesty wire for teams under the cap to have the opportunity to sign him before teams over the cap can. I don't think it would be right for him to be able to play for Miami or NY for almost nothing while pulling down his full salary.

02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
"Sounds like the Brandon Roy comeback has legs."

...but no knees.

Anthem
02-28-2012, 09:55 PM
BRushWithDeath is saddened to report that unfortunately those legs have no cartilage.
In a thread full of fantastic win, this is the winningest win of them all.