PDA

View Full Version : NBA Local TV ratings

Unclebuck
02-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Here is a pretty comprehensive article discussing local NBA TV ratings. Will need to click on link to look at the tables. You must give Cleveland a lot of credit as they are 5th in TV ratings. That is impressive. Pacers are not listed which only tells us they are not in the top 5 or botton 5. We had a thread about this a few weeks back what was the pacers number

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx

Resurgent NBA’s local ratings up 19 percent

By John Ourand (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Featured-Authors/John-Ourand.aspx) & John Lombardo (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Featured-Authors/John-Lombardo.aspx), Staff Writers
Published February 27, 2012, Page 4
<!-- Start: Share Bar -->Font Size Resize Small (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx#)Resize Normal (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx#)Resize Large (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx#)| Print (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx#)| <!-- AddThis Button BEGIN -->Share (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pubid=ra-4e5b922b504f8d7b)<!-- AddThis Button END -->| <IFRAME style="WIDTH: 59px; HEIGHT: 20px" class="twitter-share-button twitter-count-none" title="Twitter Tweet Button" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.1329950604.html#_=1330435580773&count=none&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsbusinessda ily.com%2FJournal%2FIssues%2F2012%2F02%2F27%2FMedi a%2FNBA-RSNs.aspx&size=m&text=Resurgent%20NBA%E2%80%99s%20local%20ratings%2 0up%2019%20percent%20-%20SportsBusiness%20Daily%20%7C%20SportsBusiness%2 0Journal&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsbusinessdaily.com%2FJou rnal%2FIssues%2F2012%2F02%2F27%2FMedia%2FNBA-RSNs.aspx&via=sbjsbd" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME><?xml:namespace prefix = fb /><fb:like class=" fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" send="false" font="" show_faces="false" layout="button_count" width="0" href="http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/27/Media/NBA-RSNs.aspx"><IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 90px; HEIGHT: 21px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" id=f3a1ac7c1a20a48 class=fb_ltr title="Like this content on Facebook." src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?api_key=274113315949278&channel_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs-static.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fconnect%2Fxd_proxy.php%3Fver sion%3D3%23cb%3Df1bf188828c8aa4%26origin%3Dhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fwww.sportsbusinessdaily.com%252Ff96b84 1cd2a648%26relation%3Dparent.parent%26transport%3D postmessage&extended_social_context=false&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsbusinessdaily.com%2FJo urnal%2FIssues%2F2012%2F02%2F27%2FMedia%2FNBA-RSNs.aspx&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&node_type=link&sdk=joey&send=false&show_faces=false&width=90" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency name=f365d37ba348376 scrolling=no></IFRAME></fb:like>
<!-- End: Share Bar -->

The NBA is experiencing its strongest TV viewership since the Michael Jordan era, with local ratings up 19 percent and four teams more than doubling last year’s local ratings.

The Minnesota Timberwolves (+140 percent), Oklahoma City Thunder (+140 percent), Los Angeles Clippers (+138 percent) and Philadelphia 76ers (+112 percent) have more than doubled their local TV ratings this year, according to Nielsen figures through the middle of the month.

“The fans are happy to have the NBA back and it’s reflected in the ratings,” said Jeff Krolik, executive vice president of Fox Sports Networks, which oversee RSNs that cover three of those four teams. “It’s another example of the power of live sports.”

The numbers are just as good nationally, where ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBA TV are on pace to post their highest NBA game ratings ever. Through four games, ABC is averaging 2.063 million viewers, up 10 percent. Through 21 telecasts, TNT is averaging 2.7 million viewers, up 25 percent from last season. ESPN is averaging 2.063 million viewers through 28 games, up 20 percent. And NBA TV is averaging 352,000 viewers through 52 games, up 52 percent.

The league’s best local ratings story is in New York, where the NBA’s newest star in Knicks guard Jeremy Lin is driving ratings increases to unseen heights at MSG Network. Knicks games on Feb. 17 and Feb. 20, against two of the worst NBA teams in the New Orleans Hornets and New Jersey Nets, became the highest-rated regular-season games on MSG since the network first began tracking ratings during the 1988-89 season.

Both games generated a 7.3 rating (540,788 households), helping the network’s ratings jump 82 percent in the average season-to-date household rating through Feb. 22 compared with the first 27 games on MSG Network last season (2.46 rating vs. 1.35 rating; 181,740 households vs. 101,457 households).

The ratings increase has brought a double-digit increase in advertising rates, with ad revenue also up by more than 10 percent on MSG to date.

“Lin has turbocharged a trend that was already occurring last year,” said Michael Bair, president of MSG Media. “The combination of the Knicks’ surge along with the compelling Lin story has had a profound effect on demand and viewership.”

Bair said MSG’s dispute that kept the RSN dark on Time Warner Cable for the season’s first month and a half helped drive interest in the team.

“There was pent-up demand because we were not on Time Warner and there was a bit of a hangover effect from that,” Bair said.

Strong TV stories are all over the map so far this season. Spurs games on FS Southwest are generating the league’s biggest local ratings (7.94), even though its TV ratings are down 17 percent from last year. Heat games on Sun Sports are a distant second (6.49), but up 29 percent from last year.

Lakers games on FS West draw the biggest local audience, with an average of 258,000 homes tuning into each Lakers game (down 4 percent from last year). Bulls games on Comcast SportsNet Chicago are second, attracting an average of 213,000 homes, which is up 53 percent.

RSN Ratings: The NBA's Midseason Report
<TABLE style="FLOAT: left" cellSpacing=0 width=280><TBODY><TR class=rsnmaintitle><TD colSpan=3>Overall Ratings</TD></TR><TR class=rsnnemptyred><TD colSpan=3>Top 5 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnheadblack><TD>Team</TD><TD>RSN</TD><TD>Avg. 2011-12 rating</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>San Antonio Spurs</TD><TD>FS Southwest </TD><TD>7.94</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Miami Heat</TD><TD>Sun Sports</TD><TD>6.49</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Chicago Bulls</TD><TD>CSN Chicago </TD><TD>6.10</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Oklahoma City Thunder</TD><TD>FS Oklahoma </TD><TD>5.97</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Cleveland Cavaliers</TD><TD>FS Ohio </TD><TD>4.91</TD></TR><TR class=rsnnemptyblue><TD colSpan=3>Bottom 5</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Milwaukee Bucks</TD><TD>FS Wisconsin </TD><TD>1.62</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Houston Rockets</TD><TD>FS Houston </TD><TD>1.56</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Charlotte Bobcats</TD><TD>SportSouth </TD><TD>1.15</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Washington Wizards</TD><TD>CSN Mid-Atlantic </TD><TD>1.13</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>New Jersey Nets</TD><TD>YES</TD><TD>0.38</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR class=rsnmaintitle><TD colSpan=3>Change In Rating</TD></TR><TR class=rsnnemptyred><TD colSpan=3>Top 5 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnheadblack><TD>Team</TD><TD>RSN</TD><TD>Change in avg. rating</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Minnesota Timberwolves</TD><TD>FS North </TD><TD>140.4%</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Oklahoma City Thunder</TD><TD>FS Oklahoma </TD><TD>139.8%</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Los Angeles Clippers</TD><TD>Prime Ticket </TD><TD>137.7%</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Philadelphia 76ers</TD><TD>CSN</TD><TD>111.8%</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>New York Knicks</TD><TD>MSG </TD><TD>71.2%</TD></TR><TR class=rsnnemptyblue><TD colSpan=3>Bottom 5</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>San Antonio Spurs</TD><TD>FS Southwest </TD><TD>-17.5%</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Washington Wizards</TD><TD>CSN Mid-Atlantic </TD><TD>-19.9%</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Boston Celtics</TD><TD>CSN New England</TD><TD>-28.5%</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Phoenix Suns</TD><TD>FS Arizona </TD><TD>-36.5%</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Houston Rockets</TD><TD>FS Houston </TD><TD>-40.5%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="FLOAT: left" cellSpacing=0 width=20 height=920><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #efe7ce 2px dotted"></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=280><TBODY><TR class=rsnmaintitle><TD colSpan=3>Overall Viewers</TD></TR><TR class=rsnnemptyred><TD colSpan=3>Top 5 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnheadblack><TD>Team</TD><TD>RSN</TD><TD>Avg. no. of HHs</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Los Angeles Lakers</TD><TD>FS West</TD><TD>258,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Chicago Bulls</TD><TD>CSN Chicago</TD><TD>213,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>New York Knicks</TD><TD>MSG</TD><TD>149,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Miami Heat</TD><TD>Sun Sports</TD><TD>103,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Los Angeles Clippers</TD><TD>Prime Ticket</TD><TD>102,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnnemptyblue><TD colSpan=3>Bottom 5</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>New Jersey Nets</TD><TD>YES</TD><TD>28,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Washington Wizards</TD><TD>CSN Mid-Atlantic</TD><TD>27,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Memphis Grizzlies</TD><TD>SportSouth</TD><TD>21,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Milwaukee Bucks</TD><TD>FS Wisconsin</TD><TD>15,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Charlotte Bobcats</TD><TD>SportSouth</TD><TD>13,000 </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR class=rsnmaintitle><TD colSpan=3>Change In Viewers</TD></TR><TR class=rsnnemptyred><TD colSpan=3>Top 5 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnheadblack><TD>Team</TD><TD>RSN</TD><TD>Change in avg. no. of viewers</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Chicago Bulls</TD><TD>CSN Chicago</TD><TD>+73,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>New York Knicks</TD><TD>MSG</TD><TD>+60,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Los Angeles Clippers</TD><TD>Prime Ticket</TD><TD>+58,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Philadelphia 76ers</TD><TD>CSN</TD><TD>+45,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Minnesota Timberwolves</TD><TD>FS North</TD><TD>+37,000 </TD></TR><TR class=rsnnemptyblue><TD colSpan=3>Bottom 5</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>San Antonio Spurs</TD><TD>FS Southwest</TD><TD>-11,000</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Los Angeles Lakers</TD><TD>FS West</TD><TD>-15,000</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Houston Rockets</TD><TD>FS Houston</TD><TD>-23,000</TD></TR><TR class=rsnempty><TD>Phoenix Suns</TD><TD>FS Arizona</TD><TD>-28,000</TD></TR><TR class=rsntan><TD>Boston Celtics</TD><TD>CSN New England</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Pacers13Colts12
02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I tried looking around but couldn't find any numbers on the Pacers. I was hoping the article had details for all the teams.

Steagles
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
I expect the Pacers are close to the same or a bit higher than last year. Just a guess, but still

Heisenberg
02-28-2012, 11:09 AM
it blows my mind that some teams don't have enough people watching on TV to fill their arena

Unclebuck
02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I tried looking around but couldn't find any numbers on the Pacers. I was hoping the article had details for all the teams.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=69579&highlight=Pacers+ratings

Read this thread, there is a link that shows the pacers highest rated game thius far was the Jazz game and it received a 3.7 rating. The cavs average 4.9 and that is good for 5th in the NBA

rel
02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
sucks that none of our numbers are up there to see, but I guess thats better than being in any of those 'Bottom 5' slots

Unclebuck
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
sucks that none of our numbers are up there to see, but I guess thats better than being in any of those 'Bottom 5' slots

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=69579&highlight=Pacers+ratings

LetsTalkPacers
02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Unclebuck is there anywhere I can find numbers for our team? ;)

Sollozzo
02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
A couple of things:

1) It's impressive that Cleveland's ratings are still so good.

2) The Celtics' ratings have gone down by a whopping 28.5%! Boston is such a front-running sports town. People here talk about how Indy is fickle, but at least we can play the small market card. Boston OTOH is a massive market and the Celtics attendance was poor in the mid 2000's before the Big 3 came together. This is despite the fact that they are the most successful franchise in the history of the league that plays in a large market. It looks like Boston is once again on the path to abandoning the Celtics.

Unclebuck
02-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Unclebuck is there anywhere I can find numbers for our team? ;)

If I knew I would post in this thread.

If I were to piece this together and considering 3.7 is the highest of the season I would guess the pacers average around 2.5, which I would guess would put them just below average probably between 16th and 20th. All just guesses on my part

Unclebuck
02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
A couple of things:

1) It's impressive that Cleveland's ratings are still so good.

2) The Celtics' ratings have gone down by a whopping 28.5%! Boston is such a front-running sports town. People here talk about how Indy is fickle, but at least we can play the small market card. Boston OTOH is a massive market and the Celtics attendance was poor in the mid 2000's before the Big 3 came together. This is despite the fact that they are the most successful franchise in the history of the league that plays in a large market. It looks like Boston is once again on the path to abandoning the Celtics.

Good points - I also don't understand why Houston is down 40%
And when you conisder that the Nets are in the NY market and only 28,000 people watch, that is so low. .38%

Bball
02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
I wonder if the shorter season, placing more importance on each game, as well as creating momentum with each team having some many games so close together is proving to be a good thing?

Sollozzo
02-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Good points - I also don't understand why Houston is down 40%
And when you conisder that the Nets are in the NY market and only 28,000 people watch, that is so low. .38%

The Nets might as well play in Anarctica. I don't think anyone in that metro area cares about them.

It will be interesting to see if they pick up viewers when they move to Brooklyn.

Houston is puzzling.

Bball
02-28-2012, 11:31 AM
it blows my mind that some teams don't have enough people watching on TV to fill their arena

For those that were advocating blackouts to help fill the arena, numbers like that really make you wonder if that idea would just be marketing suicide in some cases. Teams might be better off having the broadcast to at least get some free advertising to attend games versus being "out of sight, out of mind".

Unclebuck
02-28-2012, 11:42 AM
I wonder if the shorter season, placing more importance on each game, as well as creating momentum with each team having some many games so close together is proving to be a good thing?

I think starting on Christmas Day was a huge deal - it got the season off quickly in their highest profile regular season games. Compare that to starting basically on Halloween - that is a big difference. Plus fewer number of games has to help some. I don't think having so many games close together is helping, (although I could be wrong).

I've advocated the NBA going to a set schedule. Meaning certain teams always play oin certain days. Like Pacers play every Tuesday, Friday and Sunday so fans know when to look for games.

MagicRat
02-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Tweeted the link to Anthony Schoettle at the IBJ. He says he'll try to get some precise Pacers numbers from Fox and Nielsen this week......

BillS
02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Tweeted the link to Anthony Schoettle at the IBJ. He says he'll try to get some precise Pacers numbers from Fox and Nielsen this week......

I love this forum!

Sollozzo
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Also, the Knicks massive jump in ratings shows that big markets are just as fickle as little ones like Indy. But NY is so big that it would virtually be impossible to not fill a 19,000 seat gym every night. But per capita wise, I bet the Knicks were about as popular in NY in the 2000s as the Pacers were here, IE no one cared about them.

Eddie Gill
02-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Interesting that San Antonio is #1 in average ratings, despite being among the five teams with the worst change in ratings from last season - losing 17% of their average rating. Seems like an odd time to stop watching that team..

Derek2k3
02-29-2012, 01:37 AM
With both Houston and SA dropping off, I wonder if Dallas has grabbed a bigger chunk of the Texas market.

Unclebuck
02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
With both Houston and SA dropping off, I wonder if Dallas has grabbed a bigger chunk of the Texas market.

I don't think it works like that, at least not on local TV. I do not believe if you live in Dallas for example you can watch the Rockets and Spurs games also. I believe you only get the local team. So I don't think one impacts the other because you don't have a choice

Derek2k3
02-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't think it works like that, at least not on local TV. I do not believe if you live in Dallas for example you can watch the Rockets and Spurs games also. I believe you only get the local team. So I don't think one impacts the other because you don't have a choice

I understand that, I'm more thinking along the lines of that fan market. Basically, I wonder if some SA/Hou fans jumped ship and started rooting for Dallas, which would make them less inclined to watch one of the other teams.

But, no way to substantiate that, so it's basically an unfounded guess at the moment :laugh: