PDA

View Full Version : Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

ksuttonjr76
02-28-2012, 12:16 AM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2012/02/27/george-calls-dunk-competition-a-joke-and-thinks-leagues-star-players-should-take-part/

George calls dunk competition a “joke” and thinks league’s star players should take part

The consensus after Pacers practice Monday night was that Paul George should have won the Slam Dunk competition on Saturday.

George dunked over teammates Roy Hibbert and Dahntay Jones with his first dunk. He wore a glow-in-the-dark uniform and shoes and made a dunk (that was hard to see on TV) with the lights turned off with his second dunk. Then after several failed attempts, he made his third dunk while putting a sticker of Larry Bird on the backboard.

Still, George had to watch Utah’s Jeremy Evans win the competition.

Evans dunked two balls, which were thrown up by former Brownsburg High School and Butler standout Gordon Hayward. Evans wore a mini video camera on his ear during another dunk. And he jumped over comedian Kevin Hart, who is almost two feet shorter than the 7-2 Hibbert.

“(Not to) take nothing away from the dunk contest, (but) it was a joke,” George said. “I guess whoever had the biggest celebrity involved in their dunk was going to be the winner. I guess I should have tried to reach out to some people.

“If you leave it up to fans, they probably wouldn’t have known who Larry was. I think I was destined to lose it.”

Fans voted for the winner.

Coach Frank Vogel said he voted for George (obviously) and he also had some of his neighbors vote for the second-year guard.

One of Vogel’s daughters even noticed that Hart is a lot of shorter than Hibbert.

“The winner jumper over a short guy and Paul jumped over a tall guy, so why wouldn’t Paul be the winner,” Vogel recalled his daughter saying after Evans was named the winner.

George said he believes they should bring back actual judges instead of allowing fans to vote. He also thinks some of the league’s marquee players should take part in the competition.

“I agree, you have to have the faces of the league come back and get involved in it,” George said. “That’s what really made it big back in the day when you had Jordan and Dominique going at it. That was the All Stars and the guys that were the men in the league. That’s what fans want to see.”

That's right, George! Get mad!

Nuntius
02-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Transform this anger into kicking *** now :)

ChristianDudley
02-28-2012, 12:23 AM
I agree with you completely, PG. You should be holding a Slam Dunk trophy right now.

Sandman21
02-28-2012, 12:28 AM
PG should hulk up during intros tomorrow night..... :D

rexnom
02-28-2012, 12:37 AM
I love the commentary from Frank via his daughter. Also, the Larry Bird sticker was fantastic. I don't know why but I love the fact that these guys pay their respects to him.

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-28-2012, 12:54 AM
I think that's why the majority of the real dunkers in the league just don't do it. Lately, it's become more about marketing, advertisements, staged WWE style entertainment than about basketball.

Last season, McGee should have won it. But when Blake has KIA commercials to do, his spot in the finals is pretty much guaranteed regardless of his earlier rounds. You have capes and people throwing balls in hoops instead of dunking. You have real dunkers like Iggy putting on a show but getting beat out by Nate. DeRozan put on some spectacular dunks too, but can you blame him for turning it down this season? He lost to a KIA.

I feel like the true dunkers have lost all faith in the competition. And the NBA only has itself to blame.

CableKC
02-28-2012, 12:57 AM
I'd rather let the NBA judges decide who wins....but I'm guessing that this is just another way for the Sponsors ( uhh....Sprite? ) to make more money.

But to be fair....and I'm sure that I will get some "hate"....but if I wasn't a Pacers fan......I'd think that his comments sound like "sour grapes".

If you don't know who Larry Bird was...then it's likely that you wouldn't have known who Karl "The Mailman" Malone was...much less whoever the heck that celebrity was that delivered the mail ( I have no clue what his name is...but it was that guy that did the DWade commercials a few months ago ).

vnzla81
02-28-2012, 01:04 AM
I have a feeling that it was all graphicer's fault, I bet he voted for Gordon Hayward like a million times :)

ksuttonjr76
02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
I'd rather let the NBA judges decide who wins....but I'm guessing that this is just another way for the Sponsors ( uhh....Sprite? ) to make more money.

But to be fair....and I'm sure that I will get some "hate"....but if I wasn't a Pacers fan......I'd think that his comments sound like "sour grapes".

If you don't know who Larry Bird was...then it's likely that you wouldn't have known who Karl "The Mailman" Malone was...much less whoever the heck that celebrity was that delivered the mail ( I have no clue what his name is...but it was that guy that did the DWade commercials a few months ago ).

Kevin Hart. At this moment, he's one of the top African-American comics. I would say top comic, but he's more of an acquired taste comic, and he hasn't reached that 100% appeal like a Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, etc. Prime example, Kevin Hart won the Celebrity MVP, but I thought the best player easily was Duncan (Secretary of Defense?).

graphic-er
02-28-2012, 01:18 AM
I have a feeling that it was all graphicer's fault, I bet he voted for Gordon Hayward like a million times :)

LOL. i was pleased to see him participating. But no I voted for PG about 10 times.

I really loved how Hayward had 2 blocks in the rising stars game.

rock747
02-28-2012, 01:44 AM
“(Not to) take nothing away from the dunk contest, (but) it was a joke,” George said.

If you say it is a joke, I think you are taking away from the dunk contest.

Sookie
02-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Kevin Hart. At this moment, he's one of the top African-American comics. I would say top comic, but he's more of an acquired taste comic, and he hasn't reached that 100% appeal like a Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, etc. Prime example, Kevin Hart won the Celebrity MVP, but I thought the best player easily was Duncan (Secretary of Defense?).

Kevin Hart is what Dane Cook was a few years ago. He's a favorite comedian amongst college aged kids. Definitely not a classic comedian, but hot right now. Him and his friends played against the Uconn women. The video was hilarious, although inappropriate..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2ct4sOwqk

I think PG's right in that it was a joke. But not because of fan voting. It was more about props than actual dunking. And only Paul George has a shot at being an All Star of that bunch..

jeffg-body
02-28-2012, 01:53 AM
I have to agree with PG that it has become a joke. I personally don't like all of the props and celebrity help. I think it should be a man with a ball dunking by himself. Leaving it up to the public was to me dumb. I missed seeing the judges. Hopefully they change the rules, bring back the judges or just get rid of it all together because it has more to do with marketing than pure dunking now.

ksuttonjr76
02-28-2012, 02:25 AM
I have to agree with PG that it has become a joke. I personally don't like all of the props and celebrity help. I think it should be a man with a ball dunking by himself. Leaving it up to the public was to me dumb. I missed seeing the judges. Hopefully they change the rules, bring back the judges or just get rid of it all together because it has more to do with marketing than pure dunking now.

I agree. The dunk contest was a joke this year. If I wasn't a Pacers fan, IMHO, Paul George had the better collection of dunks. Heck, I don't even mind having the judges for the first two rounds and leave it to fan voting for the two finalist. Once I heard that Buddinger was 2nd in voting, I knew that Paul George was robbed. The finalist should have been George and Williams. Buddinger was very underwhelming and Evans would have scored very poorly on his first dunk.

If they want to keep fan voting, then I think it should be only limited to the fans inside the arena. In this day and age, there are too many people who are willing to organize voting campaigns just for the whole sake screwing up the "popular" results. I stopped watching American Idol, because they were dedicated sites that voted for the worse singer of the night.

Kemo
02-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Well, I knew something was wrong, shady and sickeningly sad , when I was on the nba.com voting page and it let me vote for the winner of the dunk contest BEFORE Jeremy Evans even completed his FIRST DUNK!!!!!

Hell I didn't even know that you could vote more than once till someone mentioned it much later on... I thought to myself "that shhhh is WACK!"

presto123
02-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Even if he was robbed (which he was) it was still one of the worst dunk contests of all time. The number of misses was cringe worthy and what's with this hanging on the rim for 5 seconds like a monkey after the dunk? Is that supposed to make up for the fact that the dunk was weak?

Peck
02-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Not to play the contrarian here but I'm sorry I think this does sound like sour grapes.

Not saying he shouldn't have won, he probably should have although Evans had the best individual dunk. But if Paul would have won the contest I can assure you that we would not be hearing how the Dunk Contest is a joke.

I just pray to God that he does not use this as an excuse to go back to his early season scoop shot layup crap he was giving us.

PGisthefuture
02-28-2012, 03:21 AM
Not to play the contrarian here but I'm sorry I think this does sound like sour grapes.

Not saying he shouldn't have won, he probably should have although Evans had the best individual dunk. But if Paul would have won the contest I can assure you that we would not be hearing how the Dunk Contest is a joke.

I just pray to God that he does not use this as an excuse to go back to his early season scoop shot layup crap he was giving us.

I honestly think he will use this as motivation and dunk every time he has the chance... but who knows.

ilive4sports
02-28-2012, 03:32 AM

Its absolutely sour grapes. And if he won, it would have been less of a joke because he didn't use Diddy or Kevin Hart. He went out there and dunked. I think Paul feels let down by the dunk contest. Its clearly something he has wanted to do for awhile. Compared to what this contest used to be, its such a joke now. Its not what he had hoped it to be.

CableKC
02-28-2012, 04:09 AM
I think PG's right in that it was a joke. But not because of fan voting. It was more about props than actual dunking. And only Paul George has a shot at being an All Star of that bunch..
What's funny is that PG himself propagated this theory by using an elaborate set of props like the neon jersey, neon lights and darkening the whole arena to do a glow-in-the-dark dunk. :laugh:

rexnom
02-28-2012, 04:31 AM
In Paul's defense, it seems like this entire commentary on the dunk contest was just an off-the-cuff response.

yoadknux
02-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Well, something must be wrong here, Paul shouldn't be saying such things
The dunk contest isn't about winning, it's about the league choosing young players who can dunk to give them extra exposure. The league chooses you, you should be honored. You lose, who cares. You can't go "The Dunk contest is a joke" after you lost.
I think the league could have EASILY arranged Lin ooping to Blake or something like that as part of the slam dunk contest. Instead they took young, unproven players.

ilive4sports
02-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Well, something must be wrong here, Paul shouldn't be saying such things
The dunk contest isn't about winning, it's about the league choosing young players who can dunk to give them extra exposure. The league chooses you, you should be honored. You lose, who cares. You can't go "The Dunk contest is a joke" after you lost.
I think the league could have EASILY arranged Lin ooping to Blake or something like that as part of the slam dunk contest. Instead they took young, unproven players.

They took young unproven players because none of the big name players wanted to do it. If the NBA could get LeBron, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin and Russel Westbrook to compete in the dunk contest, Paul George would have never been close to making it.

The dunk contest is about showing who the best dunker in the league is.

yoadknux
02-28-2012, 07:12 AM
They took young unproven players because none of the big name players wanted to do it. If the NBA could get LeBron, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin and Russel Westbrook to compete in the dunk contest, Paul George would have never been close to making it.

The dunk contest is about showing who the best dunker in the league is.
They didn't pick these guys because they already picked them in the past...
You wanna tell me the league can get guys like Rondo and Tony Parker to participate in a boring skills challenge, Durant, Love and Joe Johnson in a 3pt shootout, but not get big names for dunk contest, the (probably) 2nd or 3rd most viewed event in the all-star weekend?
They choose young players because, like I said, they want to give them exposure.

D-BONE
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM
PG dis-inviting himself from future participation in this event.

BRushWithDeath
02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Evans' two-ball dunk was far and away the best dunk of the night. On that alone, I felt he should have won.

George calling the contest a joke is just stupid. He knew what it was when he was campaigning for entry. Of course it's a joke. If he was out there for the purity of the competition he wouldn't have put on a stupid green costume and turned on black lights.

Sparhawk
02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
PG should have won.

having celebrities or jumping over cars (and it was just the damn hood) shouldn't automaticallly equal victory.

I think PG hurt himself with the dunk where he turned out the lights. No one could really see it.

Kevin Hart is very funny. Dane Cook is funny too. I don't understand why people have to hate on comedians once they reach a star level. Should be happy for them. My favorite comedian though is Patton Oswalt; that dude is hilarious. I mean, I love to laugh, so if there was a comedian that all he did was make faces, but was very good at it, I'd probably like them too. Now that I think of it, that sounded like Jim Carey...and he is funny! Just hasn't been recently.

The guy with the puppets...not funny.

J7F
02-28-2012, 10:48 AM
So it's ok for many here on PD and around the country to call the dunk competition a joke but a NBA player can't? SMH

Tom White
02-28-2012, 10:49 AM

Absolutely agree with you, Peck!

The guy calls it a joke AFTER he openly campaigns hard to get into the competition? Come on now. Had he never seen this event before? Are you kidding me?

How many attempts did he miss on the "jump over" dunk as well as the "Bird sticker" dunk. Then on the "lights out" dunk, you couldn't really see what was happening, at least on TV (I've no idea how it looked in person).

My advice to Paul George would be to quit whining and get ready to play the next game. I hope he doesn't whine like this after games about the calls officials make.

The Sleeze
02-28-2012, 10:52 AM
That's right, George! Get mad!

Good....Good..
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGbalACTAKbLcByJNwyFZxJgN0OZXXW J1PD-lRSzDiYU8xjDxqnem_uD1o

xBulletproof
02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Evans' two-ball dunk was far and away the best dunk of the night. On that alone, I felt he should have won.

George calling the contest a joke is just stupid. He knew what it was when he was campaigning for entry. Of course it's a joke. If he was out there for the purity of the competition he wouldn't have put on a stupid green costume and turned on black lights.

I think he meant the fan voting part was the joke. I can't say he's wrong. Fans voting for All Star starters is a joke too.

Nuntius
02-28-2012, 11:42 AM

Oh yeah, that's true. I do think that it sounds like sour grapes. The reality is that the Contest would still be a Joke even if Paul had won this.

It was still a nice experience for PG, though. And in the end that's what matters. Our guys having fun and getting some respect for the work they've put up :)

IndyJones
02-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Except neither of his other two dunks would have advanced him to another round in previous dunk contest with judges.

Pacersalltheway10
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I think the only joke he is talking about is the fan voting. I didn't even know of the fan voting until a few days before the weekend.

Steagles
02-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Javale McGee got screwed last year as well, with the judges. Its all about how outrageous / famous your props are, not the degree of difficulty or awesomeness. The dunk contest is a joke. We all know who won. He should be treated as such. He is King George. Crown him! :king:

Mr_Smith
02-28-2012, 12:28 PM
At the end of the day Paul George will be dunking in the playoffs while Jeremy Evans is sitting on his couch watching.

Kid Minneapolis
02-28-2012, 12:33 PM

No, it wasn't. Two-ball dunks are a dime a dozen. McGee dunked three last year and lost. Two is going backwards. The idea behind the dunk contest is advancing the art of the dunk. Evans took it backwards.

And that was his best dunk. Jumping over Kevin Hart was stupid. The eye-cam dunk --- stupid.

George had 3 extremely tough technical dunks... dunking over a 7'2" guy; the Vince jam with the lights off (I wish he had put on more glow stuff to see it better, but it was still a creative dunk), and the 3rd dunk was a very tough technical dunk. His only downfall was he didn't stick these dunks on the first try.

Evans stuck his lame dunks on the first try, plus he was the underdog, plus he incorporated the lame comic of the hour into one of his dunks and voila --- you got your lame-o dunk contest winner, America.

BRushWithDeath
02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
No, it wasn't. Two-ball dunks are a dime a dozen. McGee dunked three last year and lost. Two is going backwards. The idea behind the dunk contest is advancing the art of the dunk. Evans took it backwards.

He alley-ooped two balls. That was the best dunk of the night. By far. Hell, the pass alone was impressive.

If Paul would have done the Hibbert dunk the first time, it would have been about as good but it took too many attempts. The glow-in-the-dark gimmick was a bad idea because you couldn't really see anything on TV. The sticker was just dumb. It was good the first time Dwight did it when he stuck it to the top of the board. Sticking one to the bottom corner, repeatedly, isn't.

I think fan voting is stupid too. But everyone knew that was the format. I don't have a problem with the competitors playing to that. And neither did Paul because he did it too.

BPump33
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
He alley-ooped two balls. That was the best dunk of the night. By far. Hell, the pass alone was impressive.

If Paul would have done the Hibbert dunk the first time, it would have been about as good but it took too many attempts. The glow-in-the-dark gimmick was a bad idea because you couldn't really see anything on TV. The sticker was just dumb. It was good the first time Dwight did it when he stuck it to the top of the board. Sticking one to the bottom corner, repeatedly, isn't.

I think fan voting is stupid too. But everyone knew that was the format. I don't have a problem with the competitors playing to that. And neither did Paul because he did it too.

I agree with you for the most part. I think Evans had the dunk of the night, unfortunately. The pass was incredible and it looked really smooth.

Paul's "sticker" dunk was a damn good dunk, though. He put the sticker in the lower right corner, yet still managed to complete the motions and throw it down hard on the other side. I think the shenanigans with the sticker might have actually cost him. If he would have just smacked the glass on one side and dunked on the other it probably would have been less "corny."

The #PGAfterDark dunk was nice too, but you couldn't really tell with the lights off. I still think Paul had the best set of dunks, but had too many misses.

thewholefnshow31
02-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Kevin Hart is very funny. Dane Cook is funny too. I don't understand why people have to hate on comedians once they reach a star level. Should be happy for them. My favorite comedian though is Patton Oswalt; that dude is hilarious. I mean, I love to laugh, so if there was a comedian that all he did was make faces, but was very good at it, I'd probably like them too. Now that I think of it, that sounded like Jim Carey...and he is funny! Just hasn't been recently.

The guy with the puppets...not funny.

I think it is an internet thing. It is the 'cool' to hate on everything that is popular. When Dane was at the top of his game most people I meet in every day either loved him or it was not their cup of tea. Now you get on the internet and people reviled him.

It is the same thing in the world of movies, music, and videogames.

I did not need PG to tell me the dunk contest was a joke. It has become way to much about the show instead of the actual dunk. Also having guys like Lebron, Dwight, and others pass on it kills the contest.

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
It's just a dumb thing for Paul to say.

He says he thinks the big name guys need to be in it, but he actively campaigned to get in. Is he a big name guy? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Had he won, I'm guessing it wouldn't have been any kind of joke. Paul wouldn't have thought it was a joke. The posters here wouldn't have thought it was a joke. But he lost, so a joke it is.

PR07
02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
The voting is definitely a joke, so I'll definitely agree.

However, it does sound like some sour grapes to me as well.

xBulletproof
02-28-2012, 01:44 PM
The REAL joke, is that the guy who handed Evans his trophy was this guy .... he should have ran off with that ****.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OzTNc4kPQ-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zU-0bsnIFYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-28-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm just gonna post my thoughts on the dunk contest and Paul George in bullet format ala' Peck.

There was no clear cut winner in this dunk contest. Every dunker was pretty bad. I actually thought the voting results seemed pretty accurate. I still would prefer judges.

PG is complaining about props. Yet 2/3 of his dunks were very prop-heavy. Rolling a set of lights out onto the court? How many stickers of Bird did he have?

Note that PG did not actually do the sticker dunk. He was out of stickers on the attempt he made and just slapped the backboard instead. That still an incredible dunk. But the fact he had pasted Bird's face all over the backboard beforehand kinda ruined it.

Evans two ball over Hayward dunk won him the contest. That was easily the best dunk of the night. His other two were absolute crap though.

As much as it pains me to say, Budinger probably had the second best dunk of the night: the P. Diddy dunk. Yes all the theatrics were retarded, but the actual dunk itself was very impressive. Catching the lob one-handed from a stranger (without any rehearsals I'm assuming). More importantly he did it on his first try.

PG probably had the best overall trio of dunks. The problem is he needed WAY too many attempts. Taking that many attempts kills your chances. He should have lowered the difficulty a little. If he didn't have the lobs from D. Jones in the first dunk or the Bird stickers, he probably could have done those dunks on his first try. Then he would have won.

I disagree with the notion the dunk competition is dead because everything has already been done. Or that this is justification for all the props. Fans do not remember every single dunk ever done. I would be all for seeing some of the classics redone, just as long as they are executed well. This ties into my next comment...

People want to see incredible feats of athleticism. This is what made the old dunk contests great, not props and celebrities. Put some of those dunks in the AS game from Westbrook or Lebron into the dunk contest and it would be a hit again. No props necessary.

Nuntius
02-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Had he won, I'm guessing it wouldn't have been any kind of joke. Paul wouldn't have thought it was a joke. The posters here wouldn't have thought it was a joke. But he lost, so a joke it is.

Just quoting myself:

Oh yeah, that's true. I do think that it sounds like sour grapes. The reality is that the Contest would still be a Joke even if Paul had won this.

The grass is not always greener on the other side, mate ;)

EDIT:

Mr.ThunderMakeR is 100% right. The missed dunks point is completely valid. That's why Paul and Derrick Williams went 3rd and 4th respectively. The failed attempts killed their chances.

MagicRat
02-28-2012, 02:59 PM
If misses are supposed to count against you then Nate Robinson owes somebody some trophies.

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Just quoting myself:

The grass is not always greener on the other side, mate ;)

You might have said that, but apparently you haven't been around here long enough to realize that what you said doesn't apply to the majority of the board.

Brad8888
02-28-2012, 03:20 PM
No wonder Paul didn't win. His dunks were crisp and clean!

http://brandlocato.com/upload/ChildCom/6001_7uP-logo%20original.jpg

Kid Minneapolis
02-28-2012, 03:28 PM

I saw the dunk, dude. I don't think it was the best dunk of the night. Even DWilliams dunk with Rubio was better.

And the sticker? It wasn't just the sticker... it was the dunk he was trying to pull off after planting that sticker, and it was very, very impressive. Watch it. I get the feeling all you focused on was the sticker, as was half of America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvtHauJMMhY

The lights out dunk was extremely under-rated and created some fantastic imagery, especially in slow-motion. He may have earned himself a new nickname with that: "TRON".

Take out the misses and PG's dunks blew them all away. PG got robbed.

There was not 1 dunk that Budinger executed that was better than any of PG's and he came in 2nd in voting. That right there tells me all I need to know about the judging process... it was massively flawed. All it told me was that Budinger and Evans had more people abusing the unlimited voting.

PGisthefuture
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm just gonna post my thoughts on the dunk contest and Paul George in bullet format ala' Peck.

There was no clear cut winner in this dunk contest. Every dunker was pretty bad. I actually thought the voting results seemed pretty accurate. I still would prefer judges.

PG is complaining about props. Yet 2/3 of his dunks were very prop-heavy. Rolling a set of lights out onto the court? How many stickers of Bird did he have?

Note that PG did not actually do the sticker dunk. He was out of stickers on the attempt he made and just slapped the backboard instead. That still an incredible dunk. But the fact he had pasted Bird's face all over the backboard beforehand kinda ruined it.

Evans two ball over Hayward dunk won him the contest. That was easily the best dunk of the night. His other two were absolute crap though.

As much as it pains me to say, Budinger probably had the second best dunk of the night: the P. Diddy dunk. Yes all the theatrics were retarded, but the actual dunk itself was very impressive. Catching the lob one-handed from a stranger (without any rehearsals I'm assuming). More importantly he did it on his first try.

PG probably had the best overall trio of dunks. The problem is he needed WAY too many attempts. Taking that many attempts kills your chances. He should have lowered the difficulty a little. If he didn't have the lobs from D. Jones in the first dunk or the Bird stickers, he probably could have done those dunks on his first try. Then he would have won.

I disagree with the notion the dunk competition is dead because everything has already been done. Or that this is justification for all the props. Fans do not remember every single dunk ever done. I would be all for seeing some of the classics redone, just as long as they are executed well. This ties into my next comment...

People want to see incredible feats of athleticism. This is what made the old dunk contests great, not props and celebrities. Put some of those dunks in the AS game from Westbrook or Lebron into the dunk contest and it would be a hit again. No props necessary.

I think it was easy to tell that the whole P-Diddy thing was staged and wasn't just random.

If missing dunks is supposed to hurt you then guys in the past shouldn't have won because they missed some dunks as well. (Someone mentioned Nate Robinson.)

I think the lights off dunk was harder than it looked and the last dunk Paul did was kind of ruined with the whole sticker thing. The last dunk was probably the hardest one though and wasn't all that attractive because there weren't any celebrities involved or whatever...

All of Paul's dunks were original and creative while Budinger did the same thing Williams did... without the motorcycle. Evans' first dunk and last dunk were awful and I think some of the guys at your local rec could do the same thing, if not better. The guy with the best all-around dunks should win and that wasn't the case. I think if judges were deciding Paul would have won and Evans would have came in 3rd.

Nuntius
02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
You might have said that, but apparently you haven't been around here long enough to realize that what you said doesn't apply to the majority of the board.

I've been here long enough to realize that the situation is nothing like what you describe.

People overreact all over the various sports boards. But PD is one of the few boards that homerism is painted in such a negative light.

righteouscool
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
The glow in the dark dunk would of been a lot better if you could see the ball. The last dunk was also awesome, but it took him to many tries.

I think he should of just done a 360 between the legs and he would of won...

PGisthefuture
02-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I saw the dunk, dude. I don't think it was the best dunk of the night. Even DWilliams dunk with Rubio was better.

And the sticker? It wasn't just the sticker... it was the dunk he was trying to pull off after planting that sticker, and it was very, very impressive. Watch it. I get the feeling all you focused on was the sticker, as was half of America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvtHauJMMhY

The lights out dunk was extremely under-rated and created some fantastic imagery, especially in slow-motion.

Take out the misses and PG's dunks blew them all away. PG got robbed.

I agree, I wasn't even all that impressed with Evans' 2-ball dunk. Javale McGee did 3 balls and didn't win. Paul's dunks were under-rated...

Pacer Fan
02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't think Paul lost to props. He lost to a celebrity. Kevin Hart was the MVP for just being himself. Nothing changed for the dunk vote. Paul should've had him on his side.

Hibbert
02-28-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoting the great John Hollinger.....His best of the night was the Larry Bird tribute dunk, which unfortunately took him a few tries. But slapping the board on one side and then spinning to the other for a dunk is something only a few people on this planet can do. Btw George used his left hand to put the sticker up.

Naptown_Seth
02-28-2012, 04:51 PM

100% agree. That's exactly my issue with it. I don't need to see it done with a blindfold or with lighted sneakers or while chewing gum.

Do something that is both athletically difficult and aesthetically pleasing to watch. Give me a freaking Nique or Nance windmill or rock the cradle any day. Those LOOK great and are fun to watch.

And what I said before is that the other great dunk would be a HALF COURT lob pass like you saw in the AS game. That looks awesome, has tons of air and power, and is a lot more tricky than a soft lob as a guy runs up to you.

Looking back on the replay last night I had forgotten how epically horrible Evans other 2 dunks were. Originally I thought it was pretty fair that he won, but actually he should have lost as many points for the 2 lame dunks as he gained for the good one.

And if you want fan voting then have the fans score each dunk, 1-10, as many times as they want, and that's the score for the dunk. Then you add up the 3 scores and the highest score wins.

At the very least you get the drama as the scores unfold like you used to, the "score to beat" aspect where a guy knows the caliber dunk he needs to pull off to save the day.

And it makes it harder to pull off the popularity contest angle since you are only bumping up the average rather than adding a vote (assuming you vote 10 over and over for the guy you like). It also forces fans to pass judgement on ALL the dunks, because if you don't give a poor rating to a dunk you didn't like then it could win when the guy's mom casts the only votes and rates it a 10.

Plus wouldn't it be fun to see the scores given to all the different dunks so they can be compared afterward. Mailman dunk score vs P Diddy dunk score for example. It's a whole other topic for Kenny, Charles and company to talk about.

Even DWilliams dunk with Rubio was better.
Oh yeah, that was nice.

naptownmenace
02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Except neither of his other two dunks would have advanced him to another round in previous dunk contest with judges.

That's a really good point. If he had done that video camera dunk using last year's format he would've received the lowest score of the first 4 dunks and been out of the competition. That was one of the worst dunk ideas I've ever seen.

His dunk with the two balls was incredible. That would've been a 50 if they were using the judges. I liked the Karl Malone dunk too but it wouldn't have gotten him more than a 48.

MaHa3000
02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I think Paul George is right on with his comments. Determining weather or not he should have stated these comments is not up to me. I just agree with everything that he said.

ksuttonjr76
02-28-2012, 08:32 PM
My last comment...I really don't want to call it sour grapes personally. If Evans had pulled off some nice dunks, then I TRULY believe that George would have given him his due props. As some posters have stated, Evans other two dunks truly sucked and under last years' format, he wouldn't even had advanced to the second round.

Paul George had the more difficulty dunks. Period. After watching the 3rd dunk a couple of times, that WAS a very difficult dunk to pull off. George was pretty much touching the glass with his left hand the entire time while twisting his body for a windmill jam which, BTW, was the "hardest" dunk of the night. The dunk was good without the stickers. IMHO, I don't think he would have won the dunk contest due to the Kevin Hart factor.

When you compare and judge Paul George's dunk side by side to other dunks in the same round, then how can you NOT give it to George. However, I do like the new nickname. I will start calling him TRON.

MagicRat
02-29-2012, 01:33 AM
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emagic_rat/pgdunktest2.gif

MagicRat
02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
The glow in the dark dunk would of been a lot better if you could see the ball.

He was using a yellow/green ball that should've glowed. I don't think he held it under the light long enough......