PDA

View Full Version : Paul George setting a new pace/ Hoopsworld

vnzla81
02-27-2012, 04:34 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba2-wilson-chandler-the-ace-in-the-hole

The Indiana Pacers are a team on the rise, and one of the catalysts of their improved play has been sophomore wingman Paul George. George is in Orlando this week taking part in All-Star festivities along with teammate Roy Hibbert, and couldn’t be happier to be a part of the NBA’s showcase event.

“It’s exciting for Roy and I to be able to participate and showcase our abilities, but most importantly showcase our team,” George tells HOOPSWORLD. “We’re both excited and this should be a fun weekend. I’m looking forward to just seeing the stars. I think it’s pretty unique when everybody from all the other teams can come together and perform on the same level and play as a team. I think that’s the greatest thing about this game, is the characters of the high profile guys.”

Expectations for George are sky-high, particularly in Indiana, where some have wondered if his breakout play might mean the Pacers could trade Danny Granger in their effort to aggressively improve the team. George loves to hear people speak highly of him, but isn’t about to get ahead of the process.

“Yeah, I mean that’s definitely humbling. At the same time, I have to take those steps to make it to the Sunday game. This is the start and I look forward to many more.”

Pacers president Larry Bird is on record as saying he’s going to look to add another significant piece, if possible before next month’s trade deadline. George doesn’t see a glaring need that the team needs to address other than the two-guard spot.

“I think we have a strong team. If anything it might be a two-guard but I think we have a strong team. Everyone from 1-13 is contributing.”

The Pacers got off to a great start this season despite playing 15 of their first 22 games on the road. George believes having a more home-heavy schedule is one of the keys to Indiana regaining the momentum they had earlier in the season.

“We really just need to come out and play with that same intensity that we started the season off of. We played a lot of away games to start the year off, so I think the schedule is kind of in our favor with more home games the second half, so I think we’re in pretty good shape.”

The Pacers will be home more, but the post-break schedule is no joke with Chicago, Atlanta, Miami and Orlando falling right in a row in early March. The Pacers need to come out of the gates firing on all pistons, and Paul George will be absolutely essential to any success they have over that tough stretch.

vnzla81
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Why is he saying that we need a 2 guard? Isn't he a 2 guard? For the bench?

McKeyFan
02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
George thinks the weakest position is two-guard?

:banghead:

yoadknux
02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Well, he said ".. If anything, two guard". He obviously can't say "We should upgrade our point guard and replace Darren" or "Granger is having a bad season so we need a better SF".
I think what he tried to say is, "Ok, We're a good team, If anything they could upgrade my spot".
I'd say he just tried to be humble

vnzla81
02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
George thinks the weakest position is two-guard?

:banghead:

I think he is opening that door again, does he consider himself a two or a three? if he was talking about the bench he doesn't consider DJ,Hill or Lance 2's?

ilive4sports
02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
I think PG is just being humble by saying we may get a 2. He doesn't want to throw anyone under the bus.

sportfireman
02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Well he is correct..... he's not a 2. HE'S A TALL 3. Danny is a 3. DJones is the only real 2 we have. Hill is a combo guard and Lance is a combo as well.

mattie
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Well he is correct..... he's not a 2. HE'S A TALL 3. Danny is a 3. DJones is the only real 2 we have. Hill is a combo guard and Lance is a combo as well.

Our starting shooting guard isn't a shooting guard? Our backup small forward isn't a 3?

These are things we learn on PD. haha

sportfireman
02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Our starting shooting guard isn't a shooting guard? Our backup small forward isn't a 3?

These are things we learn on PD. haha

Anything else I can help you with?

Infinite MAN_force
02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
People are way too obsessed with the difference between 2s and 3s. I call them wings. If someone can come up with a tangible reason why Paul George playing the 2 is putting this team at a disadvantage, I'd like to hear it. If anything, the opposite is true.

Sookie
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Yup, just PG being humble and saying he's the weakest link.

Paul George at the 2 is a huge advantage.

mattie
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
People are way too obsessed with the difference between 2s and 3s. I call them wings. If someone can come up with a tangible reason why Paul George playing the 2 is putting this team at a disadvantage, I'd like to hear it. If anything, the opposite is true.

There's really only three positions on a basketball court, those positions being point, wing and big.

presto123
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
How is it nobody knows who Paul George is? I've heard ESPN and other media networks refer to the dunk contestants as nobodies. Even the TNT guys didn't know much about him. What is up with that? If I were a basketball commentator I would know quite a bit about every player in the league. There's not that many players. A little research goes a long way.(Gordon Haywood....Chuck?) I guess Paul still has a long road ahead of him to get to that star level that some think he can become.

beast23
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
You guys have a problem that PG is comfortable enough and introspective enough to look at the roster and declare that the SG position could use strengthening?

I don't. We could use a big-time scorer and the position where it is needed is at SG.

I actually applaud PG for being a 2nd year player and actually secure enough to call it like he sees it. We have been looking for offensive consistency at 2.

ksuttonjr76
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
You guys have a problem that PG is comfortable enough and introspective enough to look at the roster and declare that the SG position could use strengthening?

I don't. We could use a big-time scorer and the position where it is needed is at SG.

I actually applaud PG for being a 2nd year player and actually secure enough to call it like he sees it. We have been looking for offensive consistency at 2.

Disagree. I don't see a disadvantage with keeping Paul George at the 2.

Steagles
02-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Paul has the hands to play two and the size to play 3, and looks like he could be a star. Why are we complaining?

ksuttonjr76
02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Paul has the hands to play two and the size to play 3, and looks like he could be a star. Why are we complaining?

Because there is a group of people who REALLY want Paul George to play the 3 just because he's built like a 3. Personally, the SG/SF are interchangeable positions. If the man can play both of ends of the floor from the SG spot, then why mess with it?

Eddie Gill
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
It's been said before, but we couldn't have two nicer, better-spoken represent this team during All Star Weekend.

CJ Jones
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM

You don't think it hurts the offense having two "wing players" that dribble poorly?

And please, if you don't think there's a difference in the sg or sf, go look at the rosters. You'll see the difference. Very few teams have interchangeable 2s and 3s, and if they do one or both of those players can handle the ball.

Ball handling's extremely important on offense. Unless we find a distributing pg, I think we'll continue to struggle offensively with Paul at the sg.

p.s. I've listed reasons I think Paul's best position is sf. Can anyone give me a better list of reasons why they think it's sg? (other than all wings are the same :-p)

Pacerfan
02-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Anyone read this yet? I'll post the parts that pertain to the Pacers.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/35012050

Baseline Award Predictions for the season to come
By Matt Moore

Best Dressed: Indiana Pacers throwbacks

Most Likely to Make Himself a Name by Season's End: Paul George

Should have won the dunk contest. Played Rose great last year. The Pacers are better than last year and are primed for a playoff run. Getting them out of the postseason is going to be a serious job, and George is going to be a huge part of it. More versatile on offense, better on defense, athletic, explosive, with range. George isn't going to score 40. But he's going to be a part of a lot of playoff wins for Indiana and is going to be that guy in the playoffs that make sports bars of opposing teams groan "Not that guy again!" time and time over. By the way, I've started calling him Mega-Man because it seems like every game he picks up a new ability he didn't have before.

I like it...Mega-Man. This kid really is something. I've really enjoyed just watching him grow from last year to now. He really learns something new each game... it's crazy how fast he learns. He's so mature for a kid his age. Same thing with Roy... it's crazy how much he's progressed. It seems their attitude and work ethic is seeping in with Lance.. hopefully he's the next guy that "gets it".

Say what you want about Danny but he most likely was the guy pushing the Pacers to get Paul in the draft. Danny's been the one working with him over the summer and has been a pretty good role model for the kid. Yea, so Danny hasn't been the best offensively this year... but he deserves a little slack for staying here through all the crap that went down the last couple of years. The most important thing about a team is having guys that want to be here, and Danny wants to be here. Did everyone forget how well he played in the playoffs last year? That was his first time in the playoffs like all the other guys and he did pretty well. Danny just wants to win. This team is a lot better with Danny on it rather than some guy just trying to get his points.

ksuttonjr76
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
You don't think it hurts the offense having two "wing players" that dribble poorly?

And please, if you don't think there's a difference in the sg or sf, go look at the rosters. You'll see the difference. Very few teams have interchangeable 2s and 3s, and if they do one or both of those players can handle the ball.

Ball handling's extremely important on offense. Unless we find a distributing pg, I think we'll continue to struggle offensively with Paul at the sg.

p.s. I've listed reasons I think Paul's best position is sf. Can anyone give me a better list of reasons why they think it's sg? (other than all wings are the same :-p)

How do you define dribble "poorly"?

Neither players RARELY have any turnovers while handling the ball. Granger averages 1.8 TOPG and George averages 1.9 TOPG. Most of Granger's turnovers come from offensive charges.

rexnom
02-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Danny and Paul have the potential to be great together but a lot depends on Paul's development. If he underachieves like Rush did then they will be underwhelming and it won't be Danny's fault.

ksuttonjr76
02-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Danny and Paul have the potential to be great together but a lot depends on Paul's development. If he underachieves like Rush did then they will be underwhelming and it won't be Danny's fault.

At this moment, George has already surpassed what Rush was doing in his 2nd year. However, I won't be that all on Rush either.

Hicks
02-28-2012, 12:09 AM
You are who you can guard. Paul guards perimeter players better than anything else, and he's not yet that strong. Moving him to the three would only hurt his game at this point. Let him continue to use his combination of length and speed to his advantage guarding guards.

mattie
02-28-2012, 04:34 AM
Can anyone give me a better list of reasons why they think it's sg? (other than all wings are the same :-p)

1. He can't play SF right now.
- though he will have the ability once he puts on some weight, he really can't play it now as he does not have the strength to defend most SF's in the league. As Hicks said, "you are who you can guard." Even though on the offensive side of the court, the two positions are identical, you have to be able to defend the opposing player on defense. PG can't [defend SF's] right now. (he will in the coming years with more strength)

2. On offense, PG has the ability to post up, and use his size to get off his excellent jump shot against any 2G in the league. At SF he wouldn't have that advantage.

3. PG's role on offense is to be the fifth option on the first unit. He has to spread the court for the go to guys, Danny and Roy. As he does have the highest efg% and highest 3p% on the team, I'd say he's filling that role admirably.

Now my question to you- if PG was 2 inches shorter, would you argue he needs to be a SF? I mean literally the only reason anyone on this board argues PG is a SF is because he happens to be taller than the average SG. That's a pretty stupid reason to argue someone is not a shooting guard. I send the question back to you. How is in anyway PG a SF? Besides being 6'9"?

Edit- Folks if height decides what position people play than you have to come this conclusion: Magic was a small forward: Charles Barkley was a shooting guard. Dwight Howard is a 4. Dirk is a center.

Give it up. Just because Paul George is tall does not mean he's suddenly a SF playing out of position. There's no rhyme or reason behind that thinking.

Edit 2: I'll give you this: You could argue (though I'd say it's a very weak argument) that PG is not the type of shooting guard we need in order to win. You could argue that. But don't say he's not a two guard. Right now, that's the only position he can really play.

I know in the future he should be able to play SF, and hopefully, despite not having a size advantage, be able to score against most 3's in the NBA. But right now he can't even play that position. And don't give me the ball handling argument. Our most beloved Indy athlete (reggie) was a two guard who couldn't dribble.