PDA

View Full Version : Best Debater - 8th Annual Pacers Digest Forum Awards

LoneGranger33
02-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Best Debater – Awarded to the poster whose arguments are the most convincing.

BRushWithDeath, CooperManning, cordobes, Mackey_Rose, pacer4ever, Peck, Roaming Gnome, Sookie, Unclebuck, wintermute

The 2011-2012 season has thus far been one of much disagreement on Pacers Digest. Was the Rush for Lou trade a sound decision? Should Granger be traded to make room for Paul George at the 3? Should Lance get development minutes despite shaky returns? The preceding posters have weighed in on these issues and many, many others, but whose arguments were most consistently sound? Who will supplant Naptown_Seth as the best debater?

Past Winners:
2004 - bulletproof
2005 - Kstat
2006 - Kstat
2007 - Naptown_Seth
2008 - Naptown_Seth
2009 - Naptown_Seth
2010 - Naptown_Seth

This poll will close on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

15th parallel
02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Wow, tough choices here. This will probably be a close fight between 4 to 5 nominees.

Nuntius
02-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Asher99 did not make the race so I have to go with Sookie.

Kstat
02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
In a tight race, I'd have to go with Cooper.

Trader Joe
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
BWD

vnzla81
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
I have to go with UB nobody loved JOB more than him, he tried to make sense on whatever JOB was doing, UB debated people for years regarding the former coach, that has to count for something right?

Kemo
02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Wonder who's gonna be this year's Master Debater ?

LOL

;)

cdash
02-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I went with Sookie here. She's a good debater, she knows her stuff, and she is very polite and considerate with her arguments. She's not an a-hole like myself and others when we get to bickering.

spazzxb
02-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Wow, I will now officially refer to Sookies minions as the bloodsuckers. (minions who don't get the joke google +"true blood" +sookie).

spazzxb
02-27-2012, 09:12 PM
I went with Sookie here. She's a good debater, she knows her stuff, and she is very polite and considerate with her arguments. She's not an a-hole like myself and others when we get to bickering.

My main issues is that she pretends not to be biased and to not have an agenda. I would probably like Sookie's views if it weren't for UCON and domestic violence.

BlueNGold
02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
The best debater on PD is not on that list.

cdash
02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
My main issues is that she pretends not to be biased and to not have an agenda. I would probably like Sookie's views if it weren't for UCON and domestic violence.

I don't think she pretends not have a bias. I have seen her freely admit to having a UConn bias and you have to understand she has a different perspective on domestic violence being a woman. We are all biased to some degree.

Anthem
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
I would probably like Sookie's views if it weren't for UCON and domestic violence.
Her views on domestic violence (i.e., she's against it) bother you? I'm fairly certain I'm misunderstanding you, but I voted for her just in case.

spazzxb
02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Her views on domestic violence (i.e., she's against it) bother you? I'm fairly certain I'm misunderstanding you, but I voted for her just in case.

She tears lance apart pretty often. I doubt it would be happening without the dismissed court case lance had last year. Domestic violence is awful, rumors are rumors. I really just wanted imply that I see an intelligent person behind the bias.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Naptown_Seth
02-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Went with Mackey but it's close between he and Sookie. He's more forceful, she's more tactful. I think he's bringing slightly more explicit evidence/logic so I gave him the edge.

Darn good field all around, a lot of sensible posters on that list. Or maybe just a lot of posters I tend to agree with. ;)

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Damn, if I had said that I like my violence, like I like my beer and women, I'd have gotten at least one more vote.

Congrats Sookie, maybe if we put our heads together, we can convince the masses of AJ's value.

vnzla81
02-28-2012, 03:19 PM
How pacers4ever got nominated? Sometimes I don't understand half of whatever he is writing :laugh:

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
How pacers4ever got nominated? Sometimes I don't understand half of whatever he is writing :laugh:

At the beginning? Sure.

No longer. Now that his posts are legible, he's turned into one of the best basketball minds on the board.

AesopRockOn
02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
At the beginning? Sure.

No longer. Now that his posts are legible, he's turned into one of the best basketball minds on the board.

He's as reliable a player scout as T-Bird, though without the meticulously crafted analyses.

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2012, 03:28 PM
He's as reliable a player scout as T-Bird, though without the meticulously crafted analyses.

He also probably watches more basketball than every other nominee for this award combined.

LoneGranger33
02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Just a friendly reminder: Voting for this category ends tomorrow at 7 pm!

The voting threads for the last three awards, Best Arm-Chair Coach, Rookie of the Year, and Most Valuable Poster (as well as the Sunshiner run-off showdown), will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

Trader Joe
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Damn, if I had said that I like my violence, like I like my beer and women, I'd have gotten at least one more vote.

Congrats Sookie, maybe if we put our heads together, we can convince the masses of AJ's value.

It is sad lonely group we have out here on AJ island.

Justin Tyme
02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
We are all biased to some degree.

Who on this forum doesn't have a bias? LOL, as I notice your avatar!! I'm probably as biased against IU as you are biased for IU. So much so, I seldom ever where red. Another reason I don't like red is red ribbons means 2nd place. Which says you didn't win when competing for whatever.

cdash
02-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Who on this forum doesn't have a bias? LOL, as I notice your avatar!! I'm probably as biased against IU as you are biased for IU. So much so, I seldom ever where red. Another reason I don't like red is red ribbons means 2nd place. Which says you didn't win when competing for whatever.

Yep, we all have them. I don't pretend not to.

For the record, we have five red banners hanging in our rafters that says we did win what we were competing for :devil:

Justin Tyme
02-28-2012, 05:36 PM
he's turned into one of the best basketball minds on the board.

YES HE HAS!!!

avoidingtheclowns
02-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Another great list of deserving nominees. My choice this year is wintermute who I feel made significant contributions to PD over the last eight months - specifically the lockout discussions.

The best debater on PD is not on that list.

Who is missing?

spazzxb
02-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Yep, we all have them. I don't pretend not to.

For the record, we have five red banners hanging in our rafters that says we did win what we were competing for :devil:

I have Purdue graduates for parents, an IU MBA, and am currently in a Purdue graduate program. I just can't get into that particular rivalry.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

LoneGranger33
02-29-2012, 07:38 PM
The voting period is officially over.

Congratulations to the forum's Best Debater, Sookie!

The official tally is as follows:

Sookie - 17 votes (29.31% of respondents)
Mackey_Rose - 14 votes
CooperManning - 5 votes
Peck - 5 votes
Unclebuck - 5 votes
BrushWithDeath - 4 votes
pacer4ever - 3 votes
cordobes - 2 votes
wintermute - 2 votes
Roaming Gnome - 1 vote

Last year's Rookie Poster of the Year, Sookie, adds another award to her collection as this year's Best Debater on Pacers Digest! She's probably best known for her passionate defense of A.J. Price, but her ability to use statistics, observations and reasoned analysis over a wide range of topics has earned her the respect of her peers. This award was a two-man race from the get-go, and Mackey_Rose deserves a lot of credit for holding his own in quite a few debates as well. I think we'll be seeing a lot of these nominees' names again in the future.

Day-V
02-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Holy ****. Seth is the Jimmie Johnson of Debating when it comes to this award. I wonder if he somehow cheated the entire time like Jimmie Johnson did, too?

(Calm down, Duke, it's just a joke.)

Sookie
02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Aww thanks guys. I'm glad people don't think I'm an A-hole. :P

vnzla81
02-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Booooo I request a recount .................... :D

Mackey_Rose
03-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Asher99 did not make the race so I have to go with Sookie.

After the last couple of days, I'm so bummed that I didn't second this nomination.

Based upon what he keeps droppin' on us, he could have really been a contender.

Naptown_Seth
03-09-2012, 08:39 PM
It is sad lonely group we have out here on AJ island.
Yes, but we have all the good liquor.

I agree that P4Ever has really turned it around in general.

I think I was officially retired due to 4 straight wins, per PD rules. I also think this last year that Sookie and Mackey could've/should've beaten me anyway.

On the other hand I have yet again won Most Offensive Poster which I think is 5 years running, mostly on the back of my quickly deleted Tyler plays like cat barf post which included video examples of both. Men were ill, women fainted, Asher put me on ignore, it was quite a spectacle.

Too bad TPTB wouldn't let it stay up. Booo TPTB, freedom of cat digestion fails all the way.

Brad8888
03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Aren't these results debatable?

Sookie is too darn nice to ever want to crush her opposition and actually WIN. Doesn't that disqualify her? What do the forum bylaws have to say?

The venerable Seth set the standard.

Now, Mackey is a young star rising through the ranks by utilizing a range of tools from his often ascerbic rapier wit through his insightful jabs chock full of basketball intellect. His deft use of these tools coupled with the relative brevity of his posts frequently reduces his opposition to quivering masses of incoherency, eventually leaving nearly everyone speechless.