PDA

View Full Version : Dahntay Jones vs. El Pacero?

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Anyone else see them going at it a bit this morning on Twitter?

El Pacero - Met @Dahntay1 & PG tonight 4 1st time. Wish Dahntay didn't roll his eyes at us. Pass the Ball DJ! (& not during dunk contest) -- El Pacero (@ElPacero)

Dahntay- @ElPacero no I just don't like you bc your ignorant. Stop hiding behind the mask or twitter and say what you have to say to my face. -- Dahntay (@dahntay1)

El Pacero- @dahntay1 I told you to pass the ball at Bulls preseason game! Drove 2,000 miles & u could've been nice for 2 seconds. No biggie. -- El Pacero (@ElPacero)

Dahntay- @ElPacero I was on the phone handling a personal matter. But you say things as I pass but never to my face. But I did speak -- Dahntay (@dahntay1)

El Pacero- @dahntay1 don't know about that, but we all left wishing All-Star experience didn't end with that. Didn't ask 4 pics cause was awkward. -- El Pacero (@ElPacero)

Trader Joe
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes, and I unfortunately think that both sides probably made some mistakes in the way this was handled. Disappointed to see it.

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Yeah not a good look on both sides. Can't harass a guy then expect him to come over all smiles and want to take pics. But Dahntay should never have called names or been disrespectful, apologies are needed. Can't be in the NBA or any other professional sport and let a fan get to you like that, even if he is right ;)

Pacers13Colts12
02-27-2012, 10:10 AM
:rolleyes:

Day-V
02-27-2012, 10:19 AM
PASS THE BALL, DAHNTAY!

BPump33
02-27-2012, 10:23 AM
What amazes me is that I was with Pacero for that game in Chicago and I don't even remember that happening. If that is really why DJ has a grudge against a fan, that is pretty insane.

RWB
02-27-2012, 10:26 AM
What amazes me is that I was with Pacero for that game in Chicago and I don't even remember that happening. If that is really why DJ has a grudge against a fan, that is pretty insane. I wish he would pass the ball as well as he passes judgment.

PASS THE BALL, DAHNTAY!

Ok guys I do have to ask... What's the purpose of this? Backing up a friend in El Pacero, or just ticked and wanting to vent?

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
I hope Dahntay doesn't go "I was hacked!" on us

BPump33
02-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Ok guys I do have to ask... What's the purpose of this? Backing up a friend in El Pacero, or just ticked and wanting to vent?

A little bit of both. I haven't even heard the story yet, so I should probably not pass judgment, either.

CooperManning
02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Dahntay- @ElPacero no I just don't like you bc your ignorant.

:rolleyes:

If I was (maybe) the 10th best player on my team, I probably wouldn't get on Twitter and talk **** to fans. Not the best way to earn our adoration.

But hey, Dahntay's probably just mad he's earned the title "vastly overpaid" while making less than $3 mil a year.

able
02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
There'll be a day you will be just as courteous to a player as you would be to your mother.

When that happens most if not all players will interact with pleasure, calling someone a ballhog or whatever on twitter can be nice whilst you are "incog" BUT things change when you have to interact and are "KNOWN".

This immeasureable "I'm onthe net and I can say what i want" is nothing but stupid.

If I speak low of a player, I don't expect him to be nice to me at any stage, I pre-agree to avoid him, unless he wants to convince me how wrong I am, I am always willing to listen.
And no, I wont walk up to Hans to ask him for a picture or an autograph.

On top of all that if someone is using a phone, you wait patiently till you are acknowledged and then wait until they are finished and address you, or did you mother accept interruptions when she was on the phone? Do you?

On top of which the nonsense of a non-passing DJ has been well and truly debunked the last 20 odd games.

naptownmenace
02-27-2012, 10:37 AM
I like both El Pacero and Dhantay but I'm siding with Dhantay on this one. I know he felt slighted but making the statement, "Pass the Ball DJ! (& not during dunk contest)" is an insult. Not surprised DJ was upset by it.

Just because you're a Pacers fan doesn't mean you're owed anything more than the entertainment that they provide on the court. Build a bridge and get over it.

Trader Joe
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I have to say I fall somewhere similar to Able here, but at the same time more should be expected of a pro athlete. Just a disappointing situation to see on twitter.

EDIT: Dahntay 10th best player on the team? With the injury to Hill taking him out for the better part of a month, Dahntay has been our most consistent bench player this season.

Hicks
02-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Awkward...

:imout:

Heisenberg
02-27-2012, 10:56 AM
I think a lot of Dahntay, but did he really say "your ignorant?" C'mon man.

cramerica
02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Was there more to this? The whole thing seems odd.

glazedham42
02-27-2012, 11:00 AM

I agree. It's you're not your.

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Was there more to this? The whole thing seems odd.

That's what I was thinking also but unless one of them deleted a tweet or something that is all there was. After the last tweet neither of them said anything else about it.

MagicRat
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM
There's only one way to settle this: The Squared Circle.

CooperManning
02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I have to say I fall somewhere similar to Able here, but at the same time more should be expected of a pro athlete. Just a disappointing situation to see on twitter.

EDIT: Dahntay 10th best player on the team? With the injury to Hill taking him out for the better part of a month, Dahntay has been our most consistent bench player this season.

10th, 8th, whatever. The point is that a professional doesn't call a diehard fan of their team ignorant, no matter how butthurt they are about a comment made months ago. No telling how many thousands of dollars El Pacero has dropped on Pacers tickets and merch. If Dahntay was secure he'd say nothing, go out on the court, and prove El Pacero wrong. Instead he tells him to come up and "say it to my face." What a tough guy.

RWB
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
So what does a professional athlete owe the common fan?

The point is that a professional doesn't call a diehard fan of their team ignorant, no matter how butthurt they are about a comment made months ago. No telling how many thousands of dollars El Pacero has dropped on Pacers tickets and merch.

able
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
10th, 8th, whatever. The point is that a professional doesn't call a diehard fan of their team ignorant, no matter how butthurt they are about a comment made months ago. No telling how many thousands of dollars El Pacero has dropped on Pacers tickets and merch. If Dahntay was secure he'd say nothing, go out on the court, and prove El Pacero wrong. Instead he tells him to come up and "say it to my face." What a tough guy.

So this means, seeing as what i spend over the years hosting this site, i can call him a blackhole, a bad player and still demand he drops whatever he's doing when i run into him and be nice to me and sign me something and take a picture with me ?

Somehow I don't think so, the "I am responsible for my own words" meanas that i take my lumps once calling a player something less desirable.

BPump33
02-27-2012, 11:21 AM
So this means, seeing as what i spend over the years hosting this site, i can call him a blackhole, a bad player and still demand he drops whatever he's doing when i run into him and be nice to me and sign me something and take a picture with me ?

Somehow I don't think so, the "I am responsible for my own words" meanas that i take my lumps once calling a player something less desirable.

I'm not trying to speak for Pacero, but he would agree with you. He doesn't ask for anything from the Players. He (as well as most/all of Area55) know how much Roy does for us and completely appreciates it. That's why this whole thing is weird.

I'm done in this thread because we don't know the whole story. It's just a sucky situation it seems.

Hicks
02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I agree. It's you're not your.

I've never understood people's preoccupation with this. He probably typed it with a phone and got autocorrected or something.

billbradley
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
I've never understood people's preoccupation with this. He probably typed it with a phone and got autocorrected or something.

Not to mention it's twitter. The goal is to use less characters not perfect grammar.

Major Cold
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
ignorant is not stupid. El Pacero obviously has limited understanding about the team, Jones, and self-pride (man wrestling women...JK).

I am ignorant of Tyler's inconsistency. I am ignorant of why Bird kept JOB so long?

Bball
02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Dahntay has been playing very well for the team. One of the team's most important and consistent players over the course of this season IMHO. Telling him to 'pass the ball' as a complaint this season would be akin to telling the Indy 500 pole sitter to 'drive fast'....

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Can't talk s!%$ to a man one second then kiss his @$$ to get a picture with you the next.

Sandman21
02-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Dahntay has been playing very well for the team. One of the team's most important and consistent players over the course of this season IMHO. Telling him to 'pass the ball' as a complaint this season would be akin to telling the Indy 500 pole sitter to 'drive fast'....

Early on in the season (actually probably preseason) Dahntay was not playing that well, if I remember right, he played pretty poorly on the offensive side in those 2 games to where a lot of us probably WERE yelling to "PASS THE BALL DAHNTAY!"

PaceBalls
02-27-2012, 11:32 AM
I would never make it as an NBA player, being expected to constantly flash fake smiles, to be friendly to people who heckle me, to always be available to fans who expect me to act like a nominee for President of the USA. That crap would drive me insane. And when I finally did snap on some fan, it would be so blown out of proportion by every other fan I would probably make it much worse by telling everyone to eff off, ya know?
Also, I am not a very good basketball player.

Heisenberg
02-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Usually I'd agree, but it's just always funny when it's used in conjunction with an intelligence insult.

able
02-27-2012, 11:38 AM
:rotflmao:

Since86
02-27-2012, 11:39 AM
If just telling Dahnaty that he needs to pass the ball, hurts his feelings, then he must live an awfully horrible life.

I bet he hears things 10X worse while he's sitting on the bench during away games.

At some point in time, you've got to brush it off your shoulders and move forward. Holding a gruge against someone who just drove from Indiana to Orlando to support his team, is childish. It's just stupid to get in a pissing contest over something so small.

kielbeze
02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Not gonna lie here i yell at him too but i usually scream PUSH THE A BUTTON!

IndyJones
02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Obviously we saw during the dunk contest why Dahntay does not attempt to pass the ball very often.

kielbeze
02-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Another thing to point out nobody has mentioned. Dahntay was probably really excited. It was his first all star game too. :D

xBulletproof
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Pacero clearly did something to irk him at some point. That should have been the point where Dahntay blocked him on Twitter. If I thought that of someone I wouldn't be friends with them on Facebook.

Trader Joe
02-27-2012, 12:02 PM
The reason this thread makes me sad is we now have people in here ripping on a player who has been a very good influence on our team or on a fan who has given a lot to this franchise. Maybe it should just be closed.

Dahntay and ElPacero have both made great contributions to the Pacers org. No one can argue that Dahntay is a great influence on the bench, an up beat personality for his teammates, and a guy that, at least this season, has played within his role at all times.

ElPacero is a guy who has helped organize A55, has been open to improving A55, and generally does a great job spreading the Pacers gospel.

However, they are both also grown men and as such I think they will likely work this out and rise above or forget a petty twitter squabble. I just think it's sad that we now have this thread with people either picking sides between a player or a fan, and in reality it's really a disagreement that only the two parties involved can really hash out and heck, they might not even be worried about it today, so why should we skewer one side or the other?

BPump33
02-27-2012, 12:08 PM
The reason this thread makes me sad is we now have people in here ripping on a player who has been a very good influence on our team or on a fan who has given a lot to this franchise. Maybe it should just be closed.

Dahntay and ElPacero have both made great contributions to the Pacers org. No one can argue that Dahntay is a great influence on the bench, an up beat personality for his teammates, and a guy that, at least this season, has played within his role at all times.

ElPacero is a guy who has helped organize A55, has been open to improving A55, and generally does a great job spreading the Pacers gospel.

However, they are both also grown men and as such I think they will likely work this out and rise above or forget a petty twitter squabble. I just think it's sad that we now have this thread with people either picking sides between a player or a fan, and in reality it's really a disagreement that only the two parties involved can really hash out and heck, they might not even be worried about it today, so why should we skewer one side or the other?

My initial post was siding with Pacero. As a friend, that's just how I reacted. However, this is exactly how I feel about it. Thank you.

Shade
02-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Or "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock."

Brad8888
02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
I would take El Pacero in this matchup. Anyone who can survive the harsh realities of Mexican women's wrestling and live to tell the tale is a worthy champion.

Who knows, maybe El Pacero pushed Dahntay's buttons just often enough previously that he finally did start to pass the ball and improve his game, and then Dahntay misunderstood the continued encouragement that El Pacero was attempting to give him in Orlando?

Bball
02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
so why should we skewer one side or the other?

Because Twitter is serious business...

....green....

Pacers13Colts12
02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I can't believe this thread has even gone 2 pages. It's hardly a story at all. Twitter wars are hilarious.

Dahntay should have just unmasked El Pacero.

CooperManning
02-27-2012, 12:32 PM

I never said I think Dahntay should have done anything differently at the all-star game. Players should be able to blow off fans all they want. It's when they publicly insult them that I have a problem.

yoadknux
02-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Damn, locker room issues.
Guess we gotta trade one of them.

MagicRat
02-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Or "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock."

Could you go over the rules for me?

duke dynamite
02-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I offered El Pacero my Authentic Dahntay Jones jersey for Tuesday as a peacekeeping measure.

He has yet to respond.

Hicks
02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Because Twitter is serious business...

....green....

I see this thrown around about Twitter, the Internet, etc., but the truth is no matter what the communication medium is, that's all it is: A communication medium. It's always truly about who is talking to whom, whether or not they are on the same page, what mood they are in, and how seriously they take a given topic as an individual; those are what decides the seriousness of any communication. Be it on Twitter or talking across a table.

Bball
02-27-2012, 12:45 PM
I think it's just so freakin' nice that THIS is the stuff we have to worry about this year and not bad coaching, terrible basketball, losing records, brawls, diva players, drug test failures, etc....

I mean even if you consider this episode a character issue for Dahntay and/or El Pacero, go back and read the tweets. You hafta work to really make it anything... Fact is it just was what, 4 tweets... 4 tweets that tapered off with nothing really...

If this is as bad as it gets in Pacerland then it's good in Pacerland right now.

Brad8888
02-27-2012, 12:45 PM
I offered El Pacero my Authentic Dahntay Jones jersey for Tuesday as a peacekeeping measure.

He has yet to respond.

:mjpopcorn:

BillS
02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I see this thrown around about Twitter, the Internet, etc., but the truth is no matter what the communication medium is, that's all it is: A communication medium. It's always truly about who is talking to whom, whether or not they are on the same page, what mood they are in, and how seriously they take a given topic as an individual; those are what decides the seriousness of any communication. Be it on Twitter or talking across a table.

One problem is that these methods of communication all have lower levels of "information density" than a face-to-face conversation, and the shorter the message the less dense it is.

People constantly try to fill in the missing information from these very shallow messages, which leads to huge amounts of misinterpretation.

Bball
02-27-2012, 12:53 PM

In this case it's two people talking about each other and they just left the office intercom on so the whole building could hear it. They never threw anyone else under the bus, and ultimately ended it quickly and rather tamely at that. El Pacero never said anything bad about the Pacers organization, the city, the NBA, etc and DJ never opened up his complaints about anyone other than El Pacero. So I kinda look at is as just overhearing a minor disagreement, misunderstanding, argument, whatever between a couple of people. Nothing more, nothing less.

True, once you broadcast it on Twitter you're opening the window so the world can hear... but.... IF they close the window now I don't see any damage done except maybe some hard feelings between them. And since they weren't buds to begin with I think they'll get on with life just fine.

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Can someone make me an AVI of Dahntay Jones as the Joker saying "Stop hiding behind the mask" and have El Pacero as a blue and yellow Batman?

Sandman21
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM

He has yet to respond.

Does Tennessee/Southern Kentucky have 3G service? Pacero may have to cross the Ohio River before he can even get the peace offer.:p

Hicks
02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
In this case it's two people talking about each other and they just left the office intercom on so the whole building could hear it. They never threw anyone else under the bus, and ultimately ended it quickly and rather tamely at that. El Pacero never said anything bad about the Pacers organization, the city, the NBA, etc and DJ never opened up his complaints about anyone other than El Pacero. So I kinda look at is as just overhearing a minor disagreement, misunderstanding, argument, whatever between a couple of people. Nothing more, nothing less.

True, once you broadcast it on Twitter you're opening the window so the world can hear... but.... IF they close the window now I don't see any damage done except maybe some hard feelings between them. And since they weren't buds to begin with I think they'll get on with life just fine.

I was speaking in general as opposed to this particular instance.

redfoster
02-27-2012, 01:00 PM
I always liked the flamingo guy better anyway.

Eddie Gill
02-27-2012, 01:05 PM

He has yet to respond.

My buddy and I each have an autographed pair of shoes from Dahntay. Needless to say I've had nothing but positive encounters with him.

2minutes twoa
02-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't know. If a grown man in a mask kept yelling at me and telling me how to do my job that I am a professional at, it may cause me to be a tad bit grumpy ;)

Deadshot
02-27-2012, 01:17 PM
DJones has done a lot of great things during his time with the Pacers (given away shoes from his closet on Twitter, great teammate, etc). I've asked him for autographs on two separate occasions before games and he was more than happy to oblige. And like others have mentioned, his play has been great as of late. He's always been a pro.

I have seen great things from Pacero too. No denying his dedication. He offered free tix to people even last week.

Most likely this was unfortunate timing. This thread will probably be locked but I wish it could just be deleted. Come on guys, we're 9 games over .500 leaving the AS break.

joeyd
02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
El Pacero should be well aware of the comments frequently uttered by the late great wrestling announcer Gordon Solie: "Discretion is the better part of valor."

Doesn't really matter in this case who is more wrong at this point.

El Pacero, please consider offering up the olive branch so we can go on being one big happy Pacers family!

Peck
This is a very unfortunate event.

_The_Future_
Who knows what could have been said during Dahntays phone call also? Could have gotten some bad news just then, who knows.

Peck
02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
El Pacero should be well aware of the comments frequently uttered by the late great wrestling announcer Gordon Solie: "Discretion is the better part of valor."

El Pacero, please consider offering up the olive branch so we can go on being one big happy Pacers family!

A Gordon Solie quote, my day is now complete.:dance:

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Can someone make me an AVI of Dahntay Jones as the Joker saying "Stop hiding behind the mask" and have El Pacero as a blue and yellow Batman?

This was a joke BTW, kinda

RLeWorm
02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
why does el pacero hide behind a mask

graphic-er
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if El Pacero loses his Area 55 tickets over this.

Why would you heckle player and then want to hangout and be all buddy buddy while he is on the phone.

Guess what? When you dress like a like a luchador, and act a fool. People gonna remember you good or bad.

Trader Joe
02-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Le sigh.

ilive4sports
02-27-2012, 01:49 PM

He has yet to respond.

Am I the only one wondering why Duke has an authentic Dahanty Jones jersey? Dahanty?

BPump33
02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Am I the only one wondering why Duke has an authentic Dahanty Jones jersey? Dahanty?

To be fair, he also has an authentic Boomer jersey. :D

Sandman21
02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Holy over-reaction Batman!:eek:

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 01:52 PM

I would be

Kstat
02-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I think you can vent at a player (within reason) when he's in uniform. That comes with the territory.

Outside of that, though, none of us want to be heckled about our job performance when we're off the clock. You have to remember these guys are still human beings.

If someone were to do that to many of us, most would have reacted with less tact than Jones.

Derek2k3
02-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I saw this happening last night, total bummer all around.

As others have said, this is disappointing all around, as both guys have been quality members of the Pacer family.

However, I will say that I understand that Dahntay seemed frustrated, El Pacero didn't need to antagonize with the "PASS THE BALL, DAHNTAY" part. Would have been totally fine otherwise, but that was childish. Ultimately, I think any fan realizes that Dahntay has been a huge asset off the bench, covering for both PG and DG, shooting 40% from deep, and not chucking up as many bad shots as in years past. And with the struggles this team has had in the first quarter, his energy and confidence has been very valuable.

And personally, I've never like going after players on my favorite teams. You can be critical, but support your team/players.

Just a total bummer, in my opinion.

Shade
02-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Actually, it felt more like a Spider-Man/JJJ moment to me.

joeyd
02-27-2012, 02:01 PM
A Gordon Solie quote, my day is now complete.:dance:

OK, then, a couple more, just for you (I didn't think there was anyone on this board old enough to remember him---these are the only two more that I can really remember):

......"His face is a crimson mask."
......"It's a Pier 6 brawl." (never really understood this one)

redfoster
02-27-2012, 02:02 PM

Why would you heckle player and then want to hangout and be all buddy buddy while he is on the phone.

Guess what? When you dress like a like a luchador, and act a fool. People gonna remember you good or bad.

You, sir, are the Skip Bayless of Pacers Digest.

Kstat
02-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Unless he's a repeat offender, IMO this shouldn't amount to anything. Fans make mistakes now and then.

Since86
02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
It's not even a mistake. Telling DJones, before the season got underway, that he needed to pass more is right on the money. It's exactly what DJones started doing, and it's clearly evident that he has much more supporters now than he did before the season, because he was a black hole.

Dahnaty is thin skinned. There's really no way around it. Not that there's really anything wrong with it, yet, but he should be able to take a little more ribbing than just simply being told to pass.

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Just seen on Twitter Dahntay apologizing to a kid he wasn't able to come talk to because he was on his phone. Might have been in El Paceros group, either way sounded very sincere and the kid seemed happy with the apology.

imbtyler
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
For those wanting to know what happened at the All-Star Game:

As we were leaving our seats, Michael told us that Paul George was sitting outside and he got a picture with him (can't wait to see it). Upon hearing this, I obviously booked it down the stairs to see if it was true. When we walked out of our section, Paul was sitting at a high table, next to Dahntay. I walked up and said hey, and told Paul that he did a great job last (Saturday) night, and told him he got robbed. Almost immediately, it already felt kind of awkward.

When Pacero and everyone else approached, they greeted the players, and Pacero also complimented Paul's performance. That's when Dahntay got especially awkwardly quiet. Complete tone change, imo, so we just told them to have a nice night, and left.

Despite not getting pictures, it was still a fun night and everything. But that little experience just kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Fortunately, I washed that taste out with beer later! :cheers: So yeh, it was still awesome.

I made off with a HUGE column poster of Blake Griffin and LeBron James. Had to rip it down from the column and fold it up myself. It's awesome tho. :D

Naptown_Seth
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
I always liked the flamingo guy better anyway.
Speaking of Sign Guy Matt, did anyone notice that he was at the last Orlando AS game holding up a sign for Magic's return; he was in one of the highlight packages they showed.

People now rag him when they see him at other major events, but he's been going to those for a long time before he got known at Pacers games it seems. Personally I think he does a pretty good job still getting to Pacers games on a regular basis and appears to be a Pacers fan first and then an NBA fan in general 2nd.

One bad thing about meeting your idols, it doesn't always live up to expectations.

However DJ owes Pacero one for me because when I caught him at the airport pre-season on his phone in the luggage area, and competely alone (no handlers), I left him totally alone. No comments, no photos, no interrupting the phone call. So maybe this time DJ, let Pacero off the hook. ;)

You know, for old times sake

Naptown_Seth
02-27-2012, 02:26 PM
I made off with a HUGE column poster of Blake Griffin and LeBron James. Had to rip it down from the column and fold it up myself. It's awesome tho.
Awesome.

But I'm surprised the Lebron poster didn't fold by itself.
:zing:

graphic-er
02-27-2012, 02:33 PM
You, sir, are the Skip Bayless of Pacers Digest.

Care to explain your insult? i don't watch enough Skip Bayless to fully understand your derogatory remarks at me.

Day-V
02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Care to explain your insult? i don't watch enough Skip Bayless to fully understand your derogatory remarks at me.

You make baseless, outrageous remarks for shock value alone.

PacersHomer
02-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Is Dahntay not passing still a thing people are saying? Ever since Hill got hurt he's been playing great on most nights.

Sandman21
02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
I think this is getting overblown from both sides. Gotta love when Twitter drama is the worst thing happening with your team. :D

granger33
02-27-2012, 02:49 PM
I was with Pacero all night! He didn't heckle anyone, we saw PG and dahntay sitting down on a table so we went to say hello, jones rolled his eyes at us and wanted us to leave! So we said well leave u guys alone, and left. That's it.

Let me make one thing clear too, he was not on the phone

Will Galen
02-27-2012, 02:49 PM

I disagree with questioning Dahntay's use of the word, 'Ignorant.'

ig·no·rant (ąg“n…r-…nt) adj. 1. Lacking education or knowledge. 2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake. 3. Unaware or uninformed.

If we are not inside a teams locker room then we are Ignorant of what's truly going on.

It this case since Dahntay HAS BEEN passing the ball it truly was ignorant to tell him to pass the ball!

Day-V
02-27-2012, 02:50 PM
I disagree with questioning Dahntay's use of the word, 'Ignorant.'

ig·no·rant (ąg“n…r-…nt) adj. 1. Lacking education or knowledge. 2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake. 3. Unaware or uninformed.

If we are not inside a teams locker room then we are Ignorant of what's truly going on.

It this case since Dahntay HAS BEEN passing the ball it truly was ignorant to tell him to pass the ball!

I think he was referring to the "your".....

Since86
02-27-2012, 02:53 PM

The comment wasn't a recent one. The comment in question was made before the preseason, before we had seen the new and improved Dahntay.

redfoster
02-27-2012, 02:57 PM
So perhaps we should all be thanking El Pacero for getting through to Dahntay in the preseason that he needs to pass more?

That is how I am reading this.

Sandman21
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
However DJ owes Pacero one for me because when I caught him at the airport pre-season on his phone in the luggage area, and competely alone (no handlers), I left him totally alone. No comments, no photos, no interrupting the phone call. So maybe this time DJ, let Pacero off the hook. ;)

You know, for old times sake

I think that got cashed in when half of Area55 let Dahntay walk right by us at the airport while we were waiting for George to come into Indy after the trade.....:laugh:

imawhat
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
So Dahntay called Pacero ignorant and then told him to remove his mask "say it to his face" (it being whatever comment Dahntay was referring to)?

Got it.

kielbeze
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
To be fair also El Pacero has probably posed for more pictures with fans than D Jones ever has. I have never one time seen him ignore fan even of the opposing team when they ask for a picture. Sometimes it can even get to the point that I am going ok leave him alone, and I have never seen him do anything but tell them "yeah sure" "go pacers" Try to walk through Superbowl village with the guy and make it to the other side in a timely manner. :laugh:
I know already what some are going to say about his willingness to pose for a photo but it is WORK. and even if El Pacero was a worldwide Celeberty they guy would never snub a fan.

Bball
02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Awesome.

But I'm surprised the Lebron poster didn't fold by itself.
:zing:

But it was taken down by a Pacers fan... LeBron doesn't fold for the Pacers or Pacer fans....

BPump33
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
To be fair also El Pacero has probably posed for more pictures with fans than D Jones ever has. I have never one time seen him ignore fan even of the opposing team when they ask for a picture. Sometimes it can even get to the point that I am going ok leave him alone, and I have never seen him do anything but tell them "yeah sure" "go pacers" Try to walk through Superbowl village with the guy and make it to the other side in a timely manner. :laugh:
I know alread what some are going to say about his willingness to pose for a photo but it is WORK. and even if El Pacero was a worldwide Celeberty they guy would never snub a fan.

Agreed X 1000.

Even in the United Center and Auburn Hills people were stopping him for pictures. I remember walking into Victory Field for Roy's softball game and kids literally running up to Pacero for autographs. He showed up at La Pacera's (a young, female Pacers fan) birthday party and gave all the little kids Pacers merchandise. Say what you want about the mask, wrestling, etc., but he has done a lot for the Pacers community.

graphic-er
02-27-2012, 03:19 PM
You make baseless, outrageous remarks for shock value alone.

Well if that is apt description of Bayless, then I fail to see how that applies to me.

Is it baseless or outrageous to say that one would remember some guy in a Luchador mask heckling you during game months ago? Thus not wanting anything to do with said Luchador in their presence at a later date?

Also If the Luchador was at the all-star game on the Pacer's dime, one could reasonably think that a certain level of decorum is expected. So there for getting in a twitter war with one of team's players post event would probably be met with some repercussion. So thats why I said "I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose his area 55 tickets" I didn't say that it would happen. I just said I wouldn't be surprised. People have lost their jobs over less than this exchange on twitter.

2minutes twoa
02-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Well if that is apt description of Bayless, then I fail to see how that applies to me.

Is it baseless or outrageous to say that one would remember some guy in a Luchador mask heckling you during game months ago? Thus not wanting anything to do with said Luchador in their presence at a later date?

Also If the Luchador was at the all-star game on the Pacer's dime, one could reasonably think that a certain level of decorum is expected. So there for getting in a twitter war with one of team's players post event would probably be met with some repercussion. So thats why I said "I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose his area 55 tickets" I didn't say that it would happen. I just said I wouldn't be surprised. People have lost their jobs over less than this exchange on twitter.

The difference is he can take his mask off if he doesn't want the attention. Everybody has bad days and they caught DJones on one of his.

Hicks
02-27-2012, 03:30 PM
The Pacers didn't pay him to go. He chose to drive.

Bball
02-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Which is why this little dustup between the two of them should probably be settled... and not on the basketball court or in a cage match.... I can understand Dahntay's frustration with a fan who has heckled him if said fan is easy to remember, and arguably in a position he shouldn't be heckling him in the first place. The "Pass the ball" comment in the current tweet is a little uncalled for from El Pacero given there's obviously a little salt in the history between the two of them... IMHO.... Dahntay chose not to take the high road and ignore the tweet. And that is his prerogative. He acknowledged it, showed a little frustration, and explained himself a little. He didn't go overboard with it IMO. His tweet might've actually been better than ignoring El Pacero. At least they know where each other stands. Maybe that gives them a place to find common ground. They can patch things or ignore each other from here on out.

As for whether he was on the phone or not... Maybe he was between calls of some type where he finds out something and then needs to relay the message in a 2nd call. So it's not out of the realm of possibility he really was using his phone and being interrupted in between calls.

But if they choose to leave this where it's at... Oh well... I still say if this is as bad as it gets in Pacerland this season then things are pretty good.

Pacers13Colts12
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Atleast Dahntay did a better job than Brandon Rush.

kielbeze
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM

The MVP vetos your opinion.

graphic-er
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Which is why this little dustup between the two of them should probably be settled...

But the reality is that Dahntay Jones probably could care less at this point, and I wouldn't blame him. Pro-Athletes run into people they dont' care for on a daily basis and he probably handled it as good as anyone his is position could. Ignoring your offender. It wasn't until he was called out for it on twitter did he choose to engage him.

LetsTalkPacers
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
im pretty sure this is just another El Pacero publicity stunts. smh.

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 04:15 PM
:picard:

duke dynamite
02-27-2012, 04:20 PM

It's better than having a #1 Authentic Stephen Jackson jersey. To say the least.

Long story short, I got an authentic SJax jersey the day after we traded him. Paid $50 for it. Took off the Jackson. Never wore it but once after that. Asked Home Court if they would put Jones on it, they did it for $20.

To be fair, he also has an authentic Boomer jersey. :D

Simple. Beer/Liquor + Money = Boomer Jersey

TMJ31
02-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Saw this whole thing unfold last night live on Twitter.

Very unfortunate indeed.

No point speculating or making assumptions without having been there.

With that being said, I really hope it blows over and gets resolved. It's a rotten situation for all involved.

rock747
02-27-2012, 04:23 PM
I would never make it as an NBA player, being expected to constantly flash fake smiles, to be friendly to people who heckle me, to always be available to fans who expect me to act like a nominee for President of the USA. That crap would drive me insane. And when I finally did snap on some fan, it would be so blown out of proportion by every other fan I would probably make it much worse by telling everyone to eff off, ya know?

I think you would find a way to make it for millions of dollars...

This isn't the first time I have seen Dahntay go off on fans on twitter....

dgranger17
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Larry, I love you.

rock747
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
JJ Redick ‏ @JJRedick
Dahntay Jones has never been able to pass. #trustmeiknow

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
JJ Redick ‏ @JJRedick

After reading his tweets, I think Redick is my new least favorite player at any level. Hes a Pacer hater

yoadknux
02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
After reading his tweets, I think Redick is my new least favorite player at any level. Hes a Pacer hater
Really? I went over his twitter page and I'd say he's more like a fan, just a lousy one :laugh:

Derek2k3
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
JJ Redick ‏ @JJRedick

FYI, this is in regards to the attempted pass during the Dunk Contest, not the El Pacero tweet.

IndySDExport
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
The Pacers didn't pay him to go. He chose to drive.

The tickets were free though right? I saw that on Roy's twitter.

cdash
02-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Cage match for the Million Dollar Belt?

spazzxb
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM

Pacero wrestles woman because he is to small to wrestle men. Jk kinda

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Derek2k3
02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
The tickets were free though right? I saw that on Roy's twitter.

Hobert Montgomery ‏ @MmmHobert
Congratulations to @JustinBeck33 and @ElPacero on the All-Star tickets! Two great fans to represent @PacersArea55 and @Hoya2aPacer (Retweeted by @Hoya2aPacer)

cramerica
02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Just read this whole thread and can't believe how some of you are acting towards El Pacero.

I saw nothing wrong with his comments whatsoever.

BPump33
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Hobert Montgomery ‏ @MmmHobert
Congratulations to @JustinBeck33 and @ElPacero on the All-Star tickets! Two great fans to represent @PacersArea55 and @Hoya2aPacer (Retweeted by @Hoya2aPacer)

The All-start tickets were provided by Roy/Pacers. The "pass the ball, Dahntay" comment was made at the Bulls preseason game in Chicago. We purchased those tickets ourselves.

Shade
02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Could you go over the rules for me?

Scissors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scissors) cut paper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper)
Paper covers rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_%28geology%29)
Rock crushes lizard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard)
Lizard poisons Spock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock)
Spock smashes scissors
Scissors decapitate lizard
Lizard eats paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes rock
Rock crushes scissors

LetsTalkPacers
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
can i thank this more than once^

J7F
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Scissors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scissors) cut paper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper)
Paper covers rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_%28geology%29)
Rock crushes lizard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard)
Lizard poisons Spock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock)
Spock smashes scissors
Scissors decapitate lizard
Lizard eats paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes rock
Rock crushes scissors
I didn't get that... Can you tell me again?

Hicks
02-28-2012, 12:21 AM
How does Spock smash scissors? With his bare hands?

AesopRockOn
02-28-2012, 01:57 AM
With his bear hands.

FTFY.

#zacharyquinto

Foul on Smits
02-28-2012, 05:30 AM
I think Dahntey Jones could average 10 assists a game if he started

This last post was brought to you by Sunshiner Poster Of The Year Nominee, Foul On Smits.

RWB
02-28-2012, 09:40 AM
I know already what some are going to say about his willingness to pose for a photo but it is WORK. and even if El Pacero was a worldwide Celeberty they guy would never snub a fan.

What's funny is this post while defending El Pacero actually may support DJ too. Sounds like being a celebrity can be a gift and a curse at the same time.

bphil
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
In defense of El Pacero, he was hardly the only one commenting on DJones' propensity to shoot too much during the preseason (see item #5)...

http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1323371&highlight=djones#post1323371

Having said that, preseason games are just preseason games, and I think Dahntay has been solid this year during the regular season. There have actually been times where I have been thankful that he's willing to try to get to the basket and score with the second unit because they seem to bog down a lot on offense...

Steagles
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Pacero told me on Twitter that he and Dahntay are "Best buds, he blew us off, whatever" and that "Not a lot of players are crazy about the guy in the mask, anyway". It's paraphrased, but you guys get the picture.

ejwallace
02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
How does Spock smash scissors? With his bare hands?

Vulcan Death Grip

Ownagedood
02-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Dahntay is a bit of a jerk.. I notice he always does little things in the game that tick opponents off that is unnecessary.. But I don't mind it too much if he keeps it in check and doesn't try and start stuff with them, just aggravates them a bit. But I also noticed him disrespecting Buddinger as he sat right next to him during the dunk contest.

At least show SOME respect to fellow players Dahntay!

With all that aside, Pacero was in the wrong just as much as Dahntay on this matter. Just wanted to add my :twocents: on Dahntay.

kielbeze
02-28-2012, 01:59 PM
What's funny is I can highlight a portion of your statement to make it seem as if you are saying something totally different.

fixed

RWB
02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
fixed

Wow, I wasn't trying to be cocky or miss represent what you posted.

I'm not trying to take sides here and what I was merely trying to point out is......... El Pacero has reached a certain fame status at least in the world of Pacer. You note that people come up to him for pictures and sometimes you think leave him alone. Could maybe Dantay feel the same, that sometimes just leave me alone? Is he not afforded the same consideration as El Pacero if he would turn down someone for a picture?

kielbeze
02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Wow, I wasn't trying to be cocky or miss represent what you posted.

I'm not trying to take sides here and what I was merely trying to point out is......... El Pacero has reached a certain fame status at least in the world of Pacer. You note that people come up to him for pictures and sometimes you think leave him alone. Could maybe Dantay feel the same, that sometimes just leave me alone? Is he not afforded the same consideration as El Pacero if he would turn down someone for a picture?

No lol I am just a smart@## don't take offense.
I was just saying that my whole point is I don't think Pacero has ever turned down a fan for a photo. Nor do I think he ever would.

RWB
02-28-2012, 02:27 PM
No lol I am just a smart@## don't take offense.
I was just saying that my whole point is I don't think Pacero has ever turned down a fan for a photo. Nor do I think he ever would.

That's cool, guess I was a little confused. I'm a big supporter of what you guys and gals do for the Pacers. Shoot I posted this back on the 15th in the AREA 55 thread.

Reading this thread just reminds me to keep your chin up guys/gals. I think you're great ambassadors for the Pacers and for some you really step up to the next level. The stories of handing items to the kids (include BillS in this) is fantastic. In addition to that I've witnessed AREA 55 folks just in the regular concourse going to the game pointing out people they don't know and giving a thumbs up or shout out for being a fan. People like that acknowledgement since you are seen on tv all the time. Can't beat that community feeling and something that was so lacking at the fieldhouse. Frankly the only place you could get that before was right here on PD.

Kudos once again to the members of AREA 55!!!!!!

Pacers13Colts12
02-28-2012, 02:40 PM
When are we going to have an interview with Mean Gene Okerlund and El Pacero so he can explain what went down?

MagicRat
02-28-2012, 03:10 PM
When are we going to have an interview with Mean Gene Okerlund and El Pacero so he can explain what went down?

I heard Pacero is going to tell his side of the story on the next episode of Piper's Pit......