PDA

View Full Version : A VERY tough YouTube question nobody on here can answer

indygeezer
02-26-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm betting on this....

I no longer get sound out of videos or recordings from YouTube either when linked or when I go to YouTube myself. I do on my work computer but not on my home desktop. Now the wife can log in to her home account and get YouTube just fine (same computer) just not me.

And..........the answer is (drumroll).............

neosmndrew
02-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Wait, it works on your wife's account but NOT yours?

Other than the basic sound settings, which are customizable by the user, a flash plug-in may have crashed on your computer which could require anything from a restart of the computer to a re-installation of Adobe Flash.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

travmil
02-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Just Youtube? You get sound from other sources?

Did you recently install or upgrade your antivirus or firewall software?

I would bet that somewhere you tripped a setting to not allow third party Flash content.

AesopRockOn
02-27-2012, 12:25 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p85xwZ_OLX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bball
02-27-2012, 01:42 AM
1. Install the latest version of Adobe Flash (necessary for streaming YouTube videos) after removing any old versions you've installed. Learn how to install the most recent version of Adobe Flash player here. http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=56115

2. Allow third-party Flash content on your computer:
1. Visit the Adobe Flash Global Storage Settings Panel. http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html
2. The Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager should display.
3. Check the box labeled: "Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer."
4. To ensure the check sticks please click one of the tabs at the top of that box and then click back to the (Global Storage Settings Panel). The box should still be checked.
5. Once this is complete, close all browser windows and try re-playing the Live Event.
Please be advised that this action stores a Flash cookie on your computer. Flash enables this by default upon install.
3. Check your Antivirus and Firewall software to see if you're blocking third party Flash content.

Sandman21
02-27-2012, 09:01 AM
First step: Check your volume settings on your Windows profile. It sounds to me like it may be either set very low or muted entirely. You'd be amazed how many clients call me reporting their sound isn't working and I find that its because its been muted or turned down very low.

indygeezer
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p85xwZ_OLX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Huh...no sound from that either.

indygeezer
02-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Just Youtube? You get sound from other sources?

Did you recently install or upgrade your antivirus or firewall software?

I would bet that somewhere you tripped a setting to not allow third party Flash content.

NO but my kid sent me something and I had to initiate "spotfly" for it, whatever that is.

BTW....I entered via Mozilla and that did no good either.

indygeezer
02-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Wait, it works on your wife's account but NOT yours?

Other than the basic sound settings, which are customizable by the user, a flash plug-in may have crashed on your computer which could require anything from a restart of the computer to a re-installation of Adobe Flash.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

I have re-installed Adobe Flash and re-started the computer......still nothing.

indygeezer
02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
First step: Check your volume settings on your Windows profile. It sounds to me like it may be either set very low or muted entirely. You'd be amazed how many clients call me reporting their sound isn't working and I find that its because its been muted or turned down very low.

At risk of showing great stupidity.........just where is that profile?

Sandman21
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
The profile is just another word for the Windows account. Because it sounds like you are getting video, but no sound, I think your Flash plugin is fine (especially since it works on your wife's account, I believe the Flash plugin is a systemwide thing).

Go to the Control Panel and open the Sounds section (sorry don't know the exact name off the top of my head for Vista and 7) and verify there that your sound isn't muted and ALSO that it is using your sound card for the default audio system (I've had Windows try to run sound out of my webcam for some really weird reason before).

One more thing to try in Vista and 7 is to open the volume mixing in the system tray and verify that your specific INTERNET BROWSER is not muted.

indygeezer
02-27-2012, 12:11 PM
the daughter has something on her FB that I CAN listen to (it requires SPOTIFY) but I still am unable to hear anything from YouTube.

Bball
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
You could probably use your 'system restore' and go back a couple of weeks when YouTube was working and it would reset whatever setting was in inadvertently changed...

PaceBalls
02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
uninstall spotify.

Then go to your control panel > sound and mess with your sound settings. Windows 7 allows for volume control on different programs so maybe the volume is just turned down for youtube/streaming vids.

Bball
02-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Being that it's Indygeezer we're talking about here you'd think the silent videos would remind him of the movies of his youth.... :rimshot:

j/k :)

indygeezer
02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Being that it's Indygeezer we're talking about here you'd think the silent videos would remind him of the movies of his youth.... :rimshot:

j/k :)

where's that middle finger salute smilie???? ;) Being that it's Indygeezer, we don't talk too geek either.

uh, is windows vista running windows 7? My real estate platform has only recently given us the ok to "upgrade" to W-7...but I haven't done it yet.

indygeezer
02-27-2012, 05:15 PM
BTW........unrelated to this.

I have downloaded photo's and video from Geezer Jr's IU recital but cannot view the vids. I originally got a message about needing a CODEX to view them.

So what is a CODEX and is there more than one that I have to worry with?

indygeezer
02-28-2012, 01:56 AM
I just listened to something from Yahoo news....so it must be a YouTube setting...somewhere, somehow.

CableKC
02-28-2012, 03:44 AM
The answer to 90% of your computer problems....CTRL+ALT+DEL ( J/K )

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=28a0068e3c635a0c&hl=en

SOLUTION: Make sure the correct sound card is selected and enable sound.

Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices
There are 5 tabs: Volume, Sounds, Audio, Voice, Hardware. At this stage, the Volume tab was completely inaccessible, everything was darkened. This is because I had the wrong sound device selected!
Sound tab -> Make sure your working sound card is selected for the default device under Sound Playback and Sound Recording. (Find out what sound card you have: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000503.htm)
Audio tab -> Sound Playback:
Click Volume -> Properties -> Mixer Device = Your Sound Card (in my case SB Live! Wave device) and show the following volume controls for: Play Control, Wave, MIDI, CD Audio, Microphone (If you have one), & PC Speaker. (Make sure these are all checked.)
The first control will be Play Control, ensure that this MUTE ALL button is NOT checked. The rest of the controls should also be unchecked and the volume should be turned up to maximum.
Close the control center, go back to Sounds and Audio Devices and click the Volume tab. The options on this tab should now be enabled after selecting the correct sound card. Make sure the mute button is not selected, and you can choose whether or not to have the volume icon in your taskbar here. Click Speaker Volume and ensure they are all the way up, and then back to Volume Tab and click advanced, and make sure your speaker setup is selected correctly or else no sound will work. If you didn't have problems with sound other than youtube before this, don't change anything! If you don't know which speaker setup you have, click desktop stereo speakers. (Or laptop mono speaker if you are on a laptop. Or Monitor stereo speakers if the speakers are attached to your monitor.)
Also: Don't forget to make sure your sound card is selected under Audio -> Sound Recording and Voice -> Voice Playblack and Voice Recording if you record sound through your computer/microphone/webcam.
This is a little older....but it's worth a try to see if you somehow have your Audio Card settings changed on your own Windows NT Profile.

The only other thing I can find on YouTube not working is where you go into your Windows Registry and edit it....which...unless you know what you are doing....can totally mess up your computer.

The only thing that I can think of is to completely uninstall anything "Adobe Flash ???" on your computer....turn off the computer....then reinstall it once you restart. But one thing that I usually do when I re-install software is when it asks you what directory to install it...I choose a different directory ( like if the default install directory is c:/adobe/flash ..... then choose c:/adobe_flash/flash etc. ). That way, it installs a completely fresh copy of the software.

Hicks
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
You didn't click the mute button on the video, did you? YouTube can remember that setting and leave everything muted until you unmute. Ditto if you accidentally dragged the volume down.