PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to do away with the Slam Dunk Contest?

PacersFan1991
02-26-2012, 03:11 AM
Seen a lot of debate about this on Twitter, ESPN Conversation, Facebook etc. Has it ran its course? Seeing a lot of "any possible dunk has been done now" "the big stars don't come out, so whats the point". I think it should stay, it's been around long enough now to be tradition, it may not be as exciting as it used to be, but you have to keep it IMO.

Heisenberg
02-26-2012, 03:12 AM
Paul George just did a dunk no one's ever seen before.

bballpacen
02-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Short answer... Yes...

Heisenberg
02-26-2012, 03:17 AM
if people'd stop trying to compare every dunk to prime Vince Carter they'd be a lot less disappointed. and a lot more realistic.

Kstat
02-26-2012, 03:34 AM
...and replace it with what? What does it hurt to have it?

I never understood the hate for a meaningless dunking exhibition.

02-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Instead of shock and awe we got Shaq and awful. Not to mention, two contestants stole the Josh McRobers campaign of Whiteman Can't Dunk and #Let Josh Dunk.

I wish Paul had less gimmicks and displayed is ability to fly. I was hoping to see him jump from the free throw line, but instead he turned off the lights.

02-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Clearly, the fan voting is a horrible idea.

02-26-2012, 04:17 AM
I was completely disconnected after Sean Combs cried out, "Black Power!" and Jeremy Evans dunked with a camera. The contest displayed the reason that many men and women in the U.S. cannot relate to the NBA.

Furthermore, the three point contest was a joke. I remember long ago when Reggie Miller, Glenn Rice, and Jeff Hornacek were battling. Now it's just the Miami Heat (and fake glasses) show.

What a joke. A terrible display at best.

02-26-2012, 04:19 AM
P.S. TNT killed the All-Star Game. Team Shaq? Team Chuck? Joke.

Heisenberg
02-26-2012, 04:40 AM
I'd have to look up the scores for reference, but that seemed like a pretty solid 3 point contest. It's guys shooting jumpers, the hell do you expect?

Nuntius
02-26-2012, 04:41 AM
I was completely disconnected after Sean Combs cried out, "Black Power!"

It's really sad when a phrase that back in the day actually meant something positive for an oppressed community is used in such a manner by a contemporary joker.

Heisenberg
02-26-2012, 04:43 AM
It's really sad when a phrase that back in the day actually meant something positive for an oppressed community is used in such a manner by a contemporary joker.
I wish they would've immediately cut to a close up of Spike.

Pingu
02-26-2012, 04:43 AM
They should mix 'professional' dunk artists with NBA players, or something like that. There are some guys outside the NBA who can do exhibition-style dunks better than NBA players. It would be fun to see NBA players compete against those guys.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/reOy0J-hb5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heisenberg
02-26-2012, 04:47 AM
^^ absolutely not. if there's a complaint about the dunk contest falling off it's all this stupid gimmick ****, which is why I'm so disappointed in PG. it's not the "guys that can hold a basketball and jump high contest" it's the "NBA dunk contest." the gimmickry and "presentation" has taken all the organicness (or something?) away.

give a guy a ball. he dunks it. no props, no light show, no stickers, no costumes, just dunk the damn thing and wow me. THAT is my complaint with it. it's not a performance, it's a damn dunk.

presto123
02-26-2012, 05:31 AM
^^ absolutely not. if there's a complaint about the dunk contest falling off it's all this stupid gimmick ****, which is why I'm so disappointed in PG. it's not the "guys that can hold a basketball and jump high contest" it's the "NBA dunk contest." the gimmickry and "presentation" has taken all the organicness (or something?) away.

give a guy a ball. he dunks it. no props, no light show, no stickers, no costumes, just dunk the damn thing and wow me. THAT is my complaint with it. it's not a performance, it's a damn dunk.

Totally agree. No props, no fan voting, and 2-3 tries at a dunk max and you are out. If you can't do a dunk in one or two tries time to move on to a dunk you can do. The old school guys would blow away today's guys in the slam dunk and three point contest. Larry could have won the three point contest blind folded this year.

Kstat
02-26-2012, 06:20 AM
P.S. TNT killed the All-Star Game. Team Shaq? Team Chuck? Joke.

...because the rookie/soph game was so popular before?

Kstat
02-26-2012, 06:24 AM
I was completely disconnected after Sean Combs cried out, "Black Power!" and Jeremy Evans dunked with a camera. The contest displayed the reason that many men and women in the U.S. cannot relate to the NBA.

did you also object to the taianeese man on spike's t-shirt?

Kstat
02-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Totally agree. No props, no fan voting, and 2-3 tries at a dunk max and you are out. If you can't do a dunk in one or two tries time to move on to a dunk you can do. The old school guys would blow away today's guys in the slam dunk and three point contest.

...ok, back to reality....

the reason players miss more dunks today is that the dunks they are attempting are much, MUCH harder than the dunks Jordan and Nique were attempting back in the 80's. Let's not pretend that the 80's dunk contests were something they were not. SO many dunks have already been tried, that the difficulty level has been ratcheted up, and so has the margin of error.

Larry could have won the three point contest blind folded this year.

...and he would have had his *** handed to him by Jason Kapono or craig hodges in several other years.

Larry is not the god of the 3-point contest. He won two of his three years with very average scores.

02-26-2012, 06:33 AM

Obviously not. Statistically speaking, I am the average guy in the US. If I can't relate to the gimmicks , I assume most cannot. These men are paid significant
money because they can do something I cannot. I watch. I am amazed. I pay for the ticket and t-shirt. However, last night was completely unrelatable.

Kstat
02-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Obviously not. Statistically speaking, I am the average guy in the US. If I can't relate to the gimmicks , I assume most cannot. These men are paid significant
money because they can do something I cannot. I watch. I am amazed. I pay for the ticket and t-shirt. However, last night was completely unrelatable.

...what exactly would make it easier for the "average guy" to relate to?

yoadknux
02-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Did you guys notice that Paul George didn't win the slam dunk competition but NBA.COM gave him "dunk of the night"? :confused:

Kstat
02-26-2012, 06:45 AM
is it that big of a shock? The a lot of times the best dunk does not win the contest.

yoadknux
02-26-2012, 06:45 AM
is it that big of a shock? The a lot of times the best dunk does not win the contest.
That's not a shock, it's just ironic.

Shade
02-26-2012, 07:19 AM
I will say one thing:

The fact that Budinger came in second, and only lost to Evans by 1%, proves that fan voting is wrong.

Shade
02-26-2012, 07:21 AM
I was completely disconnected after Sean Combs cried out, "Black Power!"

:iagree:

Just imagine if someone had yelled "White Power!" The media would have been on that like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

Shade
02-26-2012, 07:25 AM
I think Evans had the best dunk of the night (or the most impressive, anyway; I enjoyed PG's "lights out" dunk the most), but George clearly had the best compilation of dunks on the night, and it wasn't even close.

Bring back judge voting.

Nuntius
02-26-2012, 07:28 AM

Just imagine if someone had yelled "White Power!" The media would have been on that like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

It's not nearly the same, my friend.

Shade
02-26-2012, 07:29 AM
It's not nearly the same, my friend.

I'm not going to drag this into a topic about race, but IMO yes, it's the same thing. There's a double standard here.

And I'll just leave it at that.

DaveP63
02-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Yes. It's jumped the shark. It's time for it to go.

Shade
02-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Yes. It's jumped the shark. It's time for it to go.

Hmm...jumping a shark, you say? :chin: :eyebrow:

Shade
02-26-2012, 07:52 AM
I really wish Larry would have helped Paul out with one of his dunks last night. That would have been fun to see.

Shade
02-26-2012, 07:52 AM
On another note, I've been contemplating buying a new jersey lately, and I think PG won me over last night. I needs me a glow-in-the-dark George jersey. :nod:

Nuntius
02-26-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm not going to drag this into a topic about race, but IMO yes, it's the same thing. There's a double standard here.

And I'll just leave it at that.

I don't want to drag this into such a topic either. So, check your PMs :)

Kstat
02-26-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm not going to drag this into a topic about race, but IMO yes, it's the same thing.

It absolutely is not. You're looking at it from a technical standpoint and it is anything but a technical issue.

D-BONE
02-26-2012, 08:13 AM
But, was the whole PDdddy, Budinger, White Man Can't Jump part of that segment staged? Was it planned ahead by any chance? It felt like it. Kenny (who I couldn't stand) mentioned a bunch of other players and stars, but just happened to let Pdiddy on the mic?

I knew it was going to be nauseating to watch as soon as Kenny started namedropping all the "stars" who weren't in the competition. Williams riding in on a motorcycle? The Mailman jersey delivery? Larry Bird Sticker on the backboard dunk? Too much style (?????) not enough substance to the whole thing. I don't want it eliminated, but I could definitely go for a change of approach.

Kstat
02-26-2012, 08:14 AM
you're looking for substance....in a slam dunk contest?

D-BONE
02-26-2012, 08:15 AM
It absolutely is not. You're looking at it from a technical standpoint and it is anything but a technical issue.

Can you clarify what you mean by a technical issue?

D-BONE
02-26-2012, 08:17 AM
you're looking for substance....in a slam dunk contest?

I just don't need all the glitz and goofy gimmicks. I liked the old-school contests, you just go out and dunk. I'm not saying Ceballos can't dunk blindfolded, just don't like all the unnecessary pomp and circumstance. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty who enjoy it. Maybe it's just a question of style, and I just don't like the current style.

Kstat
02-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Can you clarify what you mean by a technical issue?

The terms "white power" and "black power" in this country are not exact polar opposites. One stems from empowerment of an oppressed culture, the other stems from hate and bigotry.

Nuntius
02-26-2012, 08:19 AM
But, was the whole PDdddy, Budinger, White Man Can't Jump part of that segment staged?

Sure it was :D

Kstat
02-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I just don't need all the glitz and goofy gimmicks. I liked the old-school contests, you just go out and dunk. I'm not saying Ceballos can't dunk blindfolded, just don't like all the unnecessary pomp and circumstance. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty who enjoy it. Maybe it's just a question of style, and I just don't like the current style.

The problem is, all the simple dunks have been done before. There has to be some showmanship involved to keep things fresh.

D-BONE
02-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Sure it was :D

It seemed that way. So, if that's the case, was the black power thing just an ad lib by Pdiddy to keep the bit running. Or even part of the planned bit?

Kstat
02-26-2012, 08:25 AM
It seemed that way. So, if that's the case, was the black power thing just an ad lib by Pdiddy to keep the bit running. Or even part of the planned bit?

more than likely just a poorly-timed ad-lib, although I laughed at the irony of him saying it in a jeremy lin t-shirt.

Shade
02-26-2012, 08:31 AM
The terms "white power" and "black power" in this country are not exact polar opposites. One stems from empowerment of an oppressed culture, the other stems from hate and bigotry.

I really didn't want to comment on this any further, but I do want to clarify that I understand the difference in the origins of the two phrases.

However, in the current climate, it has taken on a diferent meaning. Though things aren't and probably never will be 100% equal, the days of mass oppression have long since past. If we're ever going to truly progress towards equality, statements like P-Diddy's last night must be recognized as a double standard. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Anyway, truth be told, I was far more annoyed by the statement because it exhibited a double standard, not because it was about race. Stuff like that irritates me regardless of the subject matter, especially when its dredged up during what is supposed to be a fun event. If you're going to be involved in an event like this, leave the politics at the door.

D-BONE
02-26-2012, 08:32 AM

Got it. Perhaps another relevant term in this discussion would be white privilege, since many people are not actively "white power", but since the issue of systemic inequality/oppression has to be a part of that conversation, too.

Anyway, even if Pdiddy's comment was serious, he's probably not my guy for the mouthpiece of any true black power spokeman or consciousness raiser. Yet, I can't deny he's a powerful black man who commands attention and others may disagree with me.

Or, perhaps the black power thing was just an addition to a White Men Can't Jump bit, in which case a new question might be what has become of the legacy of Civil Rights era social justice ideals and passion in today's society?

Kstat
02-26-2012, 08:34 AM
It wasn't the most well-timed thing to say. I'm not saying I thought it was a good idea, but I can't imagine getting worked up over it.

He most certainly did not mean anything racially insensitive. He was trying to be part of the entertainment and add levity. It was just a bad idea.

The black power movement in the united states has certainly been twisted and warped since the 1960's into something far less noble (The Crips/Bloods legacy is exhibit A-Y on that issue), but that's another topic for another time.

D-BONE
02-26-2012, 08:35 AM
The problem is, all the simple dunks have been done before. There has to be some showmanship involved to keep things fresh.

Obviously, the NBA feels the same way. Hey, I understand the argument. It's just not my thing. I'd rather have it in its current form than not at all.

Shade
02-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Got it. Perhaps another relevant term in this discussion would be white privilege, since many people are not actively "white power", but since the issue of systemic inequality/oppression has to be a part of that conversation, too.

Anyway, even if Pdiddy's comment was serious, he's probably not my guy for the mouthpiece of any true black power spokeman or consciousness raiser. Yet, I can't deny he's a powerful black man who commands attention and others may disagree with me.

Or, perhaps the black power thing was just an addition to a White Men Can't Jump bit, in which case a new question might be what has become of the legacy of Civil Rights era social justice ideals and passion in today's society?

This has been speculated, but I think it was more of a plug for his new network.

It was probably just a poor choice of words on his behalf, but I see stuff like that fly under the radar often enough that it bothers me.

Let's get this thread back on topic, shall we? :)

D-BONE
02-26-2012, 08:43 AM
It wasn't the most well-timed thing to say. I'm not saying I thought it was a good idea, but I can't imagine getting worked up over it.

Agree, but it does provide a very interesting topic for discussion given the context in which it was said - national TV broadcast, consumer spectacle, ultra-wealthy media star, embedded in pre-dunk contest gag, etc.

Stryder
02-26-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't mind the gimmicks if they are well played and practiced. It's when you put these guys on a mic (when several of them talk incoherently and cannot put together a sentence) that I start to dislike it. These guys could stand to do a lesson or two with some WWE talent.

OakMoses
02-26-2012, 08:58 AM
I don't care if it's cancelled or not, but I won't watch it again. I hadn't watched since Chris Andersen, and I regret the hour of my life I wasted last night. A re-run of Law & Order would have been much more fulfilling.

I agree with the no props crowd. No gimmicks, no celebrities, no stickers or laser light shows. I want to see a dude dunk a basketball. George's TRON dunk would have been the best dunk of the night, but you couldn't see it.

binarysolo
02-26-2012, 09:19 AM
when paul turned the main lights off and brought out the smaller lights around his path, I thought he was going to go for a strobe effect. that would've been sick. Although maybe you can't do flashing lights for risk of epileptic seizures.

BlueNGold
02-26-2012, 09:26 AM
if people'd stop trying to compare every dunk to prime Vince Carter they'd be a lot less disappointed. and a lot more realistic.

That's true. Unfortunately for those of us who have seen it, that's easier said than done. If Paul would not have been in this contest, I wouldn't have even watched it. It's become a contest of no name players who may never be stars in the league.

idioteque
02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
If we're ever going to truly progress towards equality, statements like P-Diddy's last night must be recognized as a double standard. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Sure you can. I know this is not the appropriate venue to say this, but anyone being angry about another group celebrating the attainment of their civil rights has always been baffling to me. There is much more I could say but I don't want to get in or cause trouble.

As for the dunks themselves, Paul's would have resonated a heck of a lot better if the ball would have been glow in the dark.

Heisenberg
02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
That's true. Unfortunately for those of us who have seen it, that's easier said than done. If Paul would not have been in this contest, I wouldn't have even watched it. It's become a contest of no name players who may never be stars in the league.
I guess I'm in the minority, but I just don't care if the dunkers are "name" guys. It really doesn't add anything for me.

Smits Happens
02-26-2012, 10:09 AM

If you think recent contests are an example of "keeping it fresh", I'd have to disagree. I'd say it went bad some time ago.

Ownagedood
02-26-2012, 10:17 AM
They don't need to get rid of it. But they do need to "fix" it.

PG easily had the 2nd and 3rd best dunks and didn't win! Including new stuff never done before. That's a disgrace to the competition.

Justin Tyme
02-26-2012, 10:25 AM
I really wish Larry would have helped Paul out with one of his dunks last night. That would have been fun to see.

Bird diidn't have time, he was busy manning the phone for an upcoming trade to strengthen the Pacers. :D

Justin Tyme
02-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't care if it's cancelled or not, but I won't watch it again. I hadn't watched since Chris Andersen, and I regret the hour of my life I wasted last night. A re-run of Law & Order would have been much more fulfilling.

My exact sentiments. What a waste of time watching it. The only reason I took the time was b/c PG was involved. I can guarantee I won't waste my time AGAIN!

If I want to watch gimmick dunks, I'll watch the Kia and Blake Griffin tv ad. Even though it's totally unreal, it's more entertaining than what I witnessed last night.

Just another thought. Was anyone else cringing a little when PG was jumping over Hibbert? I kept seeing an injury in the making. Thank goodness none happened. I bet the Pacers FO had the same thought.. cringing.

Pingu
02-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't understand the objections to what some people call "gimmicky" dunks. Without the gimmicks the dunks NBA players might do in the contest:

- Have probably already been done in past dunk contests.
- Are worse than dunks people who do dunking as a full-time 'job' might do.
- Are less exciting that in-game dunks.

I don't really see the point of having a dunk contest under these circumstances. I'd much rather watch the 'dunks of the week' highlights on NBA.com.

Bottom line is: PG's windmill and reverse dunks in the two games against NJ are a lot more exciting to me than any of the dunks I have seen in the dunk contest in the past decade. How does one re-create that kind of excitement in the dunk contest? Short of gimmicks, I'm not sure how.

King Tuts Tomb
02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Just finished watching the highlights, some really awesome looking dunks. I couldn't watch it live cause I had to work, but it's probably better to watch only the dunks and not have to sit through the judging and commercials.

And the slow mo replays the NBA puts on youtube look amazing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EvtHauJMMhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trophy
02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
You can only do so many dunks...

Pingu
02-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Something that might have been cool: a PG windmill seen from the side with a strobe light on.

Or this, that's a cool dunk a NBA player could pull off but that has, to my knowledge, never been attempted in the dunk contest:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aFfqUTrL0Y8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trophy
02-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Paul's lights out dunk itself was impressive. A 360, one handed slam.

Justin Tyme
02-26-2012, 11:23 AM
anyone being angry about another group celebrating the attainment of their civil rights has always been baffling to me.

AMERICAN NATIVE INDIAN! The true and original American minority.

PGisthefuture
02-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Just finished watching the highlights, some really awesome looking dunks. I couldn't watch it live cause I had to work, but it's probably better to watch only the dunks and not have to sit through the judging and commercials.

And the slow mo replays the NBA puts on youtube look amazing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EvtHauJMMhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watching this makes me more upset that PG didn't win... :bs:

Hibbert
02-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Spike Lee is one of the biggest racists on this planet. Who cares what was on his stupid t-shirt?

King Tuts Tomb
02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Spike Lee is one of the biggest racists on this planet.

Don't want to derail the thread, but he's definitely not.

Hibbert
02-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Don't want to derail the thread, but he's definitely not.

You're right, he's not racist. No way. You know why? Because he has stated that is impossible for a black man to be racist. That only white people can be racist by definition. I don't buy it. It's not reverse racism, non-racism or any other ******** term...it's racist when he applies stereotypical behaviour of any race to his protagonists and/or antagonists. One can glean from his films that all white people (Jews especially) are bad and all black people (except those trying to "act white") are good. I can't come up with any term to describe those broad characterizations besides "racist".

Pacersalltheway10
02-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Please don't get this thread closed.

Brad8888
A new dunk contest idea.

With the availability of so much footage of past dunks, coupled with so many players likely copying from the past anyway, why not make the contest have different sections?

Section one: Power dunk classics. The player picks from among power dunks of the past and must replicate / beat those dunks, and is scored accordingly. The dunk they pick is shown to us on TV, and to fans in attendance on the big screens. After that, the player in the contest does that dunk, and is judged on how their dunk compares to the original in terms of execution.

Section two: Acrobatic dunk classics. Same format. Classic dunk video is shown to everyone first, then the player does his best to replicate / beat that dunk and is scored accordingly.

Section three: Game dunks. Players attempt to recreate game dunks that are voted on by the fans as the best game dunks of the year so far. Same format.

Alternate Section three: Youtube sensation dunks. Same format, just based on total number of views of any dunk not previously used in the contest.

Section four: Freestyle. Anything goes. The only fan based portion of the voting, done live. Points are awarded somehow based proportionally on how many votes are received by each player in the contest, weighted somehow by the overall size of that player's market in comparison to the markets of the other contestants.

The rest of the contest should be decided by a panel of retired players and coaches, ultimately from the teams that the classic dunkers of the past actually played for.

I feel like this would do several things for the contest. First, it would create awareness of what the old school players were actually capable of, and provide accurate comparisons to today's players. That would increase the legitimacy of the contest a lot in my view. I believe it would also entertain the widest possible audience with a mix of nostalgia and current creativity. Lastly, it hopefully would take the feeling of lameness out of the contest because there would be true effort required on the part of participants to replicate / beat the dunks from the past, and there would be ample opportunity for dissection through slo-mo replays to highlight both the dunks from the past and those of today, which could make the art of dunking more appreciated than it currently is for many of us.

Thoughts?

gummy
You're right, he's not racist. No way. You know why? Because he has stated that is impossible for a black man to be racist. That only white people can be racist by definition. I don't buy it. It's not reverse racism, non-racism or any other ******** term...it's racist when he applies stereotypical behaviour of any race to his protagonists and/or antagonists. One can glean from his films that all white people (Jews especially) are bad and all black people (except those trying to "act white") are good. I can't come up with any term to describe those broad characterizations besides "racist".

I am loathe to take the discussion any further down this road, but I'll just say this. There is a significant difference between the academic definition and everyday understanding of the terms "racism/racist." Much like the gulf between the scientific meaning of "theory" and the colloquial sense of "theory," this can cause a lot of confusion and perhaps unnecessary strife when the speaker is using the word in one way and the listener in another. I suspect Spike's comment was made with the technical sense of the term in mind while you are filtering it through a common sense lens, and if you understood the dynamic between the two you might see things in a different light. If you would like me to explain that further, please PM me.

As for the appropriate topic. Last night I wasn't so upset about PG losing - I thought the two ball dunk was pretty cool and Evans completed it in the first few attempts.

For PG, the glow in the dark dunk was a super cool concept but could have been executed better (a glow in the dark ball, as has been suggested). His generous use of his arm hurt him n the dunk over Hibbert, as did DJones' poor tosses. The last dunk was nice, but it took too many attempts. So even though I thought PG had the best collection of dunks, I knew the door was wide open for Evans. I still feel that way this morning - that this was PG's content to lose and he did - but I also feel that Evans' other dunks were unimpressive enough that maybe PG should have won. He most certainly should have come in second at least. Buddinger? What a joke, please no more fan voting!

Pacersalltheway10
02-26-2012, 02:13 PM
I think Paul George and Derrick Williams had the less "gimmicky" dunks of the night. And what's sad is that they finished 3rd and 4th. I'm not dissapointed in Paul at all. He did what he had to do. If there wasn't any fancy involved with all fan-voting this year, he would have finished dead last by a large margin. Kevin Hart and P. Diddy won this contest, the players didn't.

Bball
02-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I wasn't around a tv and didn't dvr the event but the gimmicks (let alone 2nd and 3rd tier players) AND the 200 attempts to make a dunk ruined it for me in the past... and I assume that hasn't changed has it? I might live with the gimmicks (begrudgingly) IF you didn't get 200 attempts to make a dunk. The first rule I'd make is you get ONE attempt for your dunk... and if there's multiple rounds you get 1 attempt per round. That's it. ONE...

If you blow your dunk you get a zero. ... not a 2nd chance.

HC
02-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Tuesday night can't come fast enough. I'm ready to watch some basketball that actually means something, and is devoid of all this nonsense.

tora tora
02-26-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm fine with them dropping every lame activity on All Star Saturday Night. None of it's worth watching anymore. Retired players trying to make shots with WNBA players? Random point guards dribbling through obstacle courses? :sleep:

RamBo_Lamar
02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
I like NBA All-Star weekend events, and do not care about if it is not "real" basketball.

It is meant to be entertainment, and I find observing the participants displaying their
abilities to be entertaining in their own unique ways, so NO to doing away with the
dunk contest.

After seeing the Paul George dunk with the lights out am sort of scratching my head
over that one though. It looked like a great dunk, but wouldn't it be better to make
it easier for everyone to see rather than harder with so little light?

Sandman21
02-26-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm colorblind, I can't hardly fill out those stupid online human authentication things, and I wear coke-bottle glasses, and EVEN I could see the lights out dunk!

No excuses!

Kstat
02-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Wow. Someone has issues....

AesopRockOn
02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
It may be time to do away with Slam Dunk Contest threads....

JEM
02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
I am tired of the props / gimmicks... Just dunk the ball.

Hibbert
02-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Wow. Someone has issues....

That would be you. Must be hard being a Pistons fan these days....I was only clarifying something YOU brought up and were talking about in the first place.

Kstat
02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
...actually, I wasn't the one that brought it up, but let's go with that....

Interesting that the your default retort to everything is "you're a pistons fan"....

presto123
02-26-2012, 06:12 PM
In my opinion nobody to this day has topped Spud Webb in the dunk contest. To see a guy that short elevate like that and dunk with the ease that he did was a thing of beauty.

Kstat
02-26-2012, 06:14 PM
what did spudd do that Nate Robinson didn't?

02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
...what exactly would make it easier for the "average guy" to relate to?

Less gimmicks. If I wanted the Harlem Globe Trotters, I'd by a ticket. I want to watch the greatest athletes in the world display their ability. When I see gimmicks and politics, I am dejected and uninterested.

Kstat
02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
The slam dunk contest IS a gimmick, by definition.

02-26-2012, 06:26 PM
The slam dunk contest IS a gimmick, by definition.

No, it's a display of physicality, but you are arguing for the sake of flaming. On with the real discussion.

idioteque
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I would do something like this with the All-Star weekend (I am slightly intoxicated, bear (or beer) with me):

12 all-stars per conference, starters picked by GM's, reserves picked by coaches, no fan voting at all.

Following events:

NBA/D-League showcase
Three Point Contest
Dunk Contest
Skills competition

NBA/D-League showcase: Three players from each conference assigned to play in a 24 minute contest with the 5 best players from both D-League conferences making up the rest of the roster. The D-League guys will play hard because it is an opportunity for them to showcase their skills on the national stage and will also give them the opportunity to play with NBA superstars. Only extra rule is one NBA player has to be on the court for each team at all times to keep it interesting for the fans. Only D-League players eligible to win MVP and with the MVP comes significant prize money (like 100k, which is like 3x the D-League salary).

Three Point Contest: Three players from each All-Star team assigned. There is both an individual champion and conference champion; the conference champion is of course derived from cumulative scores of players from each conference.

Dunk Contest: Same rules as three point contest with structure similar to that described by Pacersalltheway10.

Skills competition: same rules as above, individual and conference champions.

Individual and conference champions count as a "point" for each conference. For example, if a WC player wins the three point contest but the EC has a higher collective score, both conferences get one point. There are only seven points to be had, since the NBA/D-League showcase game MVP winner does not count for a point. Whichever conference gets the most points get home court in the NBA finals.

This both makes the All-Star game meaningful and minimizes the chances that a player will get hurt.

Kemo
02-26-2012, 06:29 PM

http://img1.tvloop.com/img/showpics/b2/7a/l34779a320000_1_11884.jpg

02-26-2012, 06:30 PM
^^ Nice.

02-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Kemo, you are consistently hilarious.

Kemo
02-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Have a good nba career? lol

i jest.. i jest ... :-p

Trophy
02-26-2012, 07:06 PM
2010 was horrible.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hYgv7bJ5WbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

presto123
02-27-2012, 12:44 AM

Well for one thing Spud is 2 or 3 inches shorter. That makes a big difference when you are trying difficult dunks. Spud wins:dance:

PacersHomer
02-27-2012, 01:06 AM
P. Diddy killed Biggie.

King Tuts Tomb
02-27-2012, 01:06 AM

I'm gonna guess you've never seen (or if you have then didn't understand) a Spike Lee movie.

mb221
02-27-2012, 01:36 AM

All I had to do was google "spike lee is a racist" and this is a direct copy/paste from the first result. Might want to give credit where it's due, unless you are The Verdant Dude.

PS: sorry for thread derailment.

Kemo
02-27-2012, 03:03 AM
All I had to do was google "spike lee is a racist" and this is a direct copy/paste from the first result. Might want to give credit where it's due, unless you are The Verdant Dude.

LOL

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VORSDTuhyB0/TPPPqNEsFbI/AAAAAAAAABM/dsN7Jcjma7A/s1600/busted.jpg

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 10:05 AM

:haha:

FlavaDave
02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Here's my idea for a new dunk contest:

The NBA picks the four contestants. Each contestant picks a point guard to be his "teammate".

The first round is comprised of two "games". Each game is a battle between two teams. Let's say Paul George picks DC and Derrick Williams picks Rubio. Put 2 minutes on the game clock, and 10 seconds on the "dunk clock". Dunker inbounds the ball on the opposite baseline. Dunk clock starts; they have 10 seconds to attempt a dunk.

They run the length of the court. The point guard passes it to the dunker in some fashion for a dunk. He can alley-oop it, he can toss it off the backboard to a trailing dunker, he can execute a simple leading bounce pass, he can even hand it right back to the dunker and let him dribble the length of the court. Whatever. But you get ten seconds, even if you miss.

After 10 seconds, team one clear the court. A ref blows the whistle when the court is clear, and team 2 can inbound the ball. They get ten seconds as well. They start on the same baseline that team one did, and they attempt a dunk on the same basket.

After team 2's attempt, they clear the court and team 1 starts. Both teams now go in the other direction. They keeps trading dunks until the 2 minutes runs out. If time runs out while team 1 is dunking, team 2 gets one more dunk.

After the round, judges score each team on overall performance, and the winner goes on to the finals, where the overall time is increased to three minutes.

Hope that makes sense. Why do this?

a) Because it replicates the energy of the in-game fast break.

b) No more endless re-tries of difficult dunks.

c) No more props and gimmicks. Just throw it down hard.

I'm thinking this would create an X Games type of vibe. Specifically, I think this would have the energy of a skateboarder doing a series of tricks on a half pipe. If a skateboarder went around the pipe, did a little kick flip, and stopped, that would be very underwhelming. However, a kick flip leads to a 180, which leads to a rail trick, etc. It builds and builds to the bigger tricks and whips the crowd into a frenzy. It's about the overall performance, not just one trick.

In two minutes, you would get 6-10 dunks from each guy. The energy would come fast and furious.

Hicks
02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm intrigued by a game of "Dunk Horse" where player A attempts a dunk, if he misses it's the next guy's turn, if he completes it the others have to replicate it.

_The_Future_
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Here's my idea for a new dunk contest:

The NBA picks the four contestants. Each contestant picks a point guard to be his "teammate".

The first round is comprised of two "games". Each game is a battle between two teams. Let's say Paul George picks DC and Derrick Williams picks Rubio. Put 2 minutes on the game clock, and 10 seconds on the "dunk clock". Dunker inbounds the ball on the opposite baseline. Dunk clock starts; they have 10 seconds to attempt a dunk.

They run the length of the court. The point guard passes it to the dunker in some fashion for a dunk. He can alley-oop it, he can toss it off the backboard to a trailing dunker, he can execute a simple leading bounce pass, he can even hand it right back to the dunker and let him dribble the length of the court. Whatever. But you get ten seconds, even if you miss.

After 10 seconds, team one clear the court. A ref blows the whistle when the court is clear, and team 2 can inbound the ball. They get ten seconds as well. They start on the same baseline that team one did, and they attempt a dunk on the same basket.

After team 2's attempt, they clear the court and team 1 starts. Both teams now go in the other direction. They keeps trading dunks until the 2 minutes runs out. If time runs out while team 1 is dunking, team 2 gets one more dunk.

After the round, judges score each team on overall performance, and the winner goes on to the finals, where the overall time is increased to three minutes.

Hope that makes sense. Why do this?

a) Because it replicates the energy of the in-game fast break.

b) No more endless re-tries of difficult dunks.

c) No more props and gimmicks. Just throw it down hard.

I'm thinking this would create an X Games type of vibe. Specifically, I think this would have the energy of a skateboarder doing a series of tricks on a half pipe. If a skateboarder went around the pipe, did a little kick flip, and stopped, that would be very underwhelming. However, a kick flip leads to a 180, which leads to a rail trick, etc. It builds and builds to the bigger tricks and whips the crowd into a frenzy. It's about the overall performance, not just one trick.

In two minutes, you would get 6-10 dunks from each guy. The energy would come fast and furious.

I was thinking almost he same ideas while watchin g the all star game last night. Some of those dunks during the game I thought would have came pretty close winning the contest. Also was it me or did little Russ Westbrook have some of the hardest dunks of the night?

Hibbert
02-27-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna guess you've never seen (or if you have then didn't understand) a Spike Lee movie.

Are you being serious? EVERY single Spike Lee movie has to do with race and the black people are always the good guys, the heros, when all the white people or the black people that act "white" are the bad guys. Get real. Have you seen one?

Hicks
02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
This race conversation isn't going to end, so I'm calling it here. Further posts will be removed.

Kstat
02-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm intrigued by a game of "Dunk Horse" where player A attempts a dunk, if he misses it's the next guy's turn, if he completes it the others have to replicate it.

They already tried this with the infamous "wheel" where you had to copy a great dunk from a past contest. It was a horrible idea.

You had one-footed dunkers that couldn't really show off what they could do because they were trying to emulate dunks they weren't suited for.

Hicks
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
They already tried this with the infamous "wheel" where you had to copy a great dunk from a past contest. It was a horrible idea.

You had one-footed dunkers that couldn't really show off what they could do because they were trying to emulate dunks they weren't suited for.

At least this time it's someone in the room challenging them to do it rather than spinning a freakin' wheel, though. It's like a guy who can hit a trick shot that you can't in order to give you a letter. Plus the guy only gets one attempt to put the other competitors on the spot; if he misses once then no one has to try it. The wheel was mandatory.