PDA

View Full Version : Rising Star game... VOTE for MVP also gamethread

Kemo
02-24-2012, 11:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/allstar/2012/polls/risingstars/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

P.G. get's my biased vote heh

Also , since we didnt have a dedicated thread for this game... let's use this one..

George with 15 pts , 2 Reb, 1 assist , 2 steals, 3 turnovers thus far at the conclusion of the 1st half of play..

ndcoltsnpacers
02-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Irving is 7/7 from 3. PG getting a ton of alley-oops.

Indra
02-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Nice unselfish pass by George when he had an open lane to the hoop, and then later throws down an elbow dunk. Love it :)

PacersForever
02-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Whose talkin to our boy at the end ! Leave him alone ! aha

Kemo
02-24-2012, 11:56 PM
well this thread went over like a baby-armed size turd in a punchbowl lmao

Can't believe we get a NASTY elbow dunk from PG, and all they are worried about is Lin , talking about the same rehashed bullcrap we have heard for 2 weeks straight.

Nuntius
02-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Kyrie Irving shot 8/8 from 3 point land and hit 12 of his 13 shots. He had 34 points. He also had 9 assists.

I love Paul George, I really do, but it's hard to argue with Kyrie's performance.

However, Paul was amazing as well. He was second in scoring and for a weird reason he also got the most attempts out of anyone.

23 points (on 10/17), 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals is nice :D

PS I: On an irrelevant note, Greg Monroe hit a 3 :D

PS II: Does anyone know why Kawhi only played 1 minute?

TheDon
well this thread went over like a baby-armed size turd in a punchbowl lmao

Can't believe we get a NASTY elbow dunk from PG, and all they are worried about is Lin , talking about the same rehashed bullcrap we have heard for 2 weeks straight.

What was even more ridiculous was he played 5 minutes barely contributed in comparison to the rest of the team at the half and the people callin the game were sayin to vote for him for mvp...are you kidding me?!??!!?

Sandman21
Kawhi didn't play period, he pulled out with a calf injury.

Nuntius
02-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Kawhi didn't play period, he pulled out with a calf injury.

Thanks for the info, man. I saw RoboHicks writing about it but it was only after I wrote my comment. Thanks anyway :)

Sandman21
02-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Oh and poor Gordon Hayward couldn't get anyone to call his name right (PA guy, Chuck) OR his hometown right for that matter! :laugh:

Indra
02-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Oh and poor Gordon Hayward couldn't get anyone to call his name right (PA guy, Chuck) OR his hometown right for that matter! :laugh:

"Gordon Haywood"

Jessen
02-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Irving was clearly the MVP. The guy is already an All-Star. We already knew that though.

PG played very well and looked comfortable out there. I was surprised he came away with such a good stat line. If there was a runner up for MVP, it would be PG. Hopefully all of this exposure helps him build up his confidence AND helps him realize his potential. Really happy and excited for him.

Also...we didn't hear about his dunks because John Wall stole the show/they were interviewing :censored: Jeremy Lin when he did the elbow in the rim dunk. :unimpress

Frostwolf
02-25-2012, 12:25 AM

from brownsville, brooklyn.... GORDAN HAYWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Roaming Gnome
02-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Yeah, with them missing Paul's "IN GAME" version of the Carter elbow dunk... I'm officially tired of the Jeremy Lin hype.

I figured the announcers would at least replay and comment on that dunk right after the interview, but not a damn word!

Hell, if you didn't see it... you wouldn't have known it even happened other than a scant mention on Inside the NBA after the game.

Jessen
02-25-2012, 01:20 AM
Yeah, with them missing Paul's "IN GAME" version of the Carter elbow dunk... I'm officially tired of the Jeremy Lin hype.

I figured the announcers would at least replay and comment on that dunk right after the interview, but not a damn word!

Hell, if you didn't see it... you wouldn't have known it even happened other than a scant mention on Inside the NBA after the game.

Hahaha. And ESPN Highlights: Lin, Wall, Irving, Blake, Rubio... They completely ignored PG. :dunno:

Kemo
02-25-2012, 01:28 AM
typical...

I sure hope someone youtubes that elbow dunk soon!

Kid Minneapolis
02-25-2012, 01:29 AM
PG Elbow dunk --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiwBHr2lRdQ

Kemo
02-25-2012, 01:29 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oiwBHr2lRdQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheDon
02-25-2012, 01:36 AM

If it makes ya feel any better Charles Barkley commented on it after the game when they were talking about the players in the dunk competition.

Hoop
02-25-2012, 02:34 AM
It was a enjoyable game to watch, always more fun to watch when a Pacer is involved. All Star stuff gets boring fast for me if there are no Pacers participating. The game was not to terribly sloppy for a All Star game.

Kyrie is unbelievable, not just in this game, all season.

Hayward played really well. Hes going to be a very solid NBA player. Better than I first thought.

Paul did great, and still looked like he just scratched the surface of what he could be. I find myself nitpicking everything Paul does, I just want so bad for him to be great, not just a all star.

ilive4sports
02-25-2012, 02:44 AM
If it makes ya feel any better Charles Barkley commented on it after the game when they were talking about the players in the dunk competition.

Its so nice to hear TNT compared to ESPN. ESPN is Lin this Lin that, but TNT always has good things to say about the Pacers and they love Paul George. Kenny was going on about how much he likes him and that he should have gone earlier in the draft and has all the skills in the world.

Kemo
02-25-2012, 03:26 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/417668_308234089232783_253779444678248_841742_1540 095270_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/404811_308234179232774_253779444678248_841743_6838 40593_n.jpg

smartfai
02-25-2012, 03:43 AM
PG's elbow dunk should be the top 5 play of today

pacer4ever
02-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Cousins is so talented he could be a 30+ and 10+ guy if he set his mind to it. There was no doubt in my mind he was the most talented player in his draft class I just hope he gets it because if he understands how good he could be and realizes his potential it will be scary. I still to this day dont understand how you could draft Favors Johnson and Turner over him. I also though at the time he would turn out to be a better pro than Wall but until he gets it he will never live up to his potential. Just a shame to see one of the most gifted players I have ever seen and to this point has been a headcase. I hope he matures he is still young but really his potential is limitless IMO.

I liked this format hope they do it again next year.

I picked Wall or Cousins pre game to win MVP they play really well in pick up game formats. But Kyrie was unconscious tonight.

Also #letKyrieshoot we need him in the 3pt contest kid was on fire tonight great game.

ilive4sports
02-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Cousins is so talented he could be a 30+ and 10+ guy if he set his mind to it. There was no doubt in my mind he was the most talented player in his draft class I just hope he gets it because if he understands how good he could be and realizes his potential it will be scary. I still to this day dont understand how you could draft Favors Johnson and Turner over him. I also though at the time he would turn out to be a better pro than Wall but until he gets it he will never live up to his potential. Just a shame to see one of the most gifted players I have ever seen and to this point has been a headcase. I hope he matures he is still young but really his potential is limitless IMO.

I liked this format hope they do it again next year.

I picked Wall or Cousins pre game to win MVP they play really well in pick up game formats. But Kyrie was unconscious tonight.

Also #letKyrieshoot we need him in the 3pt contest kid was on fire tonight great game.

To be fair, Cousins has been much better since the coaching change. He is putting up 18 and 12 this month. His rebounding though, my gosh, I'd only put Dwight above him. Watching him in person, I really saw how good he is at getting into position for the board. Kevin Love has some questionable tactics for rebounding imo, but I don't see that with Cousins, he just gets the damn ball by getting into great position.

He needs to clean up his offensive game and convert at a higher rate.

xBulletproof
02-25-2012, 04:38 AM
I think Cousins is the only player in the NBA that I let my complete dislike for get in the way of my judgement of him.

I just really, really can't stand that whiney SOB.

rel
02-25-2012, 05:31 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/417668_308234089232783_253779444678248_841742_1540 095270_n.jpg

The heights in that back row are deceiving...probably just the angle

Favors is 6'10" and Leanord is 6'6"...and based off that, pg definitely doesn't look as tall as he is :P

presto123
02-25-2012, 05:43 AM

Favors is 6'10" and Leanord is 6'6"...and based off that, pg definitely doesn't look as tall as he is :P

Wow.....turn those shoes off!

Heisenberg
02-25-2012, 07:27 AM

I know it's cuz they're curved around and the guys on the ends are closer to the camera, but if PG's 6'10 then Hayward's 7' :laugh:

Kid Minneapolis
02-25-2012, 10:54 AM
It's crazy to think that PG is 6'9" going on 6'10". That's PF/C territory. And he's a SG. But Dunleavy was much in the same mold.... very tall, but clearly a guard, without PG's athleticism.

Brooks disappointed me, as much as I hate to say it. He looked a little nervous and was really chucking... even stepped outside after passing up an open 15-footer to airball a 3. Was pretty embarrassing.

Wall sorta did, too. He almost looked like he was trying desperately to steal the show, but it wasn't really happening. Irving outplayed him badly.

The two best players on the court were Irving and (hooray) Mr. Paul George. Cousins had a good start, but faded down the stretch. George threw down 23 points and it didn't even really look like he was trying. Doesn't seemed like he scored that many 'til you look at box score. He coulda had more, he missed a alley-oop that he shoulda thrown down.

pacer4ever
02-25-2012, 11:17 AM
It's crazy to think that PG is 6'9" going on 6'10". That's PF/C territory. And he's a SG. But Dunleavy was much in the same mold.... very tall, but clearly a guard, without PG's athleticism.

Brooks disappointed me, as much as I hate to say it. He looked a little nervous and was really chucking... even stepped outside after passing up an open 15-footer to airball a 3. Was pretty embarrassing.

Wall sorta did, too. He almost looked like he was trying desperately to steal the show, but it wasn't really happening. Irving outplayed him badly.

The two best players on the court were Irving and (hooray) Mr. Paul George. Cousins had a good start, but faded down the stretch. George threw down 23 points and it didn't even really look like he was trying. Doesn't seemed like he scored that many 'til you look at box score. He coulda had more, he missed a alley-oop that he shoulda thrown down.
Brooks imo is the opposite of a nervous guy

Nervous people don't pass up lay ups and run back to the 3pt line for a nice air ball 3. People who are his style or mold do like Jordan Crawford. That is the very reason I didnt want him at draft time in the games I watched last year I didnt see him pass once. He really scared me and I am sure that is why he dropped he has a gift with his ability to score but he needs to harness it in and in the film I watched he never did. I mean KD I watched score at will in college but when the time came to pass the ball and make the correct basketball play he did and still does Brooks never did.

wintermute
02-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Am I the only one impressed by Evan Turner? I don't want to read too much from an All-Star game, but he looked a lot more like a #2 pick in this setting than when playing for Philly.

pacer4ever
02-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Am I the only one impressed by Evan Turner? I don't want to read too much from an All-Star game, but he looked a lot more like a #2 pick in this setting than when playing for Philly.

I love Doug Collins the coach but Evan Turner needs to play in a system with more freedom. Maybe in time Doug will let go of the reigns a little but I dont like how they use him. They basically already have a better version of Evan in Iggy so maybe if they trade one of the two you will see Turner benefit. If I was a team like ORL I would look to buy low they really don't have any assets to trade for him so I don't see it happening but he in the Hedo role in ORL I think would thrive. I kind of feel bad for him for being taken in a situation that dont use his talents in the best way. That reason was why I was shocked Cousins wasn't the pick there for Philly. I mean Iggy is basically the same style player as Evan I don't know what the FO plan was when they got him but he isn't a good fit off the ball like he has to be when he plays with Iggy.

imawhat
02-25-2012, 01:10 PM
I was most impressed with Turner, only because I knew what the rest could do. Hayward also had a few spectacular plays.

I think Brooks is dealing with a stress fracture in his foot. He's clearly hobbled.

Paul George impressed me mainly with his assertiveness. I fully expected him to take a back seat but he went for it. You can tell PG and Wall play together in the summer. A lot of these guys do.

rel
02-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I was most impressed with Turner, only because I knew what the rest could do. Hayward also had a few spectacular plays.

I think Brooks is dealing with a stress fracture in his foot. He's clearly hobbled.

Paul George impressed me mainly with his assertiveness. I fully expected him to take a back seat but he went for it. You can tell PG and Wall play together in the summer. A lot of these guys do.

PG needs to recruit John Wall to Indy! :P

Kid Minneapolis
02-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Brooks imo is the opposite of a nervous guy

Nervous people don't pass up lay ups and run back to the 3pt line for a nice air ball 3. People who are his style or mold do like Jordan Crawford. That is the very reason I didnt want him at draft time in the games I watched last year I didnt see him pass once. He really scared me and I am sure that is why he dropped he has a gift with his ability to score but he needs to harness it in and in the film I watched he never did. I mean KD I watched score at will in college but when the time came to pass the ball and make the correct basketball play he did and still does Brooks never did.

You mistake me for someone who doesn't like Brooks, I pushed for Indy to draft him hard.

You're comment in general works for Brooks, but *last night* he looked nervous. He had a few extremely botched passes on the fast break, some selfish plays where he decided at the last minute to pass off. His body language wasn't the usual confident Brooks.

Go read my history, I've been a major proponent of Brooks. This is my first critical review of his play during a game, and last night was not a good showing.

Justin Tyme
02-25-2012, 01:37 PM
I still to this day dont understand how you could draft Favors Johnson and Turner over him.

The same reason Born Ready wasn't drafted until #40. Why do you think Walsh took Rautins and Fields over Stephenson? Rautins isn't even in the NBA now. Many teams aren't interested in getting involved with immature headcases no matter what their POTENTIAL is, thus they drop in the draft.

Justin Tyme
02-25-2012, 01:48 PM
That reason was why I was shocked Cousins wasn't the pick there for Philly.

Referrence post #37.

Also Doug Collins didn't want Speights, why would he want to coach Cousins? Collins is a no nonsense old fashion coach. It would have never worked.

Sookie
02-25-2012, 01:52 PM

PG's standing the farthest back from anyone.

pacer4ever
02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
You mistake me for someone who doesn't like Brooks, I pushed for Indy to draft him hard.

You're comment in general works for Brooks, but *last night* he looked nervous. He had a few extremely botched passes on the fast break, some selfish plays where he decided at the last minute to pass off. His body language wasn't the usual confident Brooks.

Go read my history, I've been a major proponent of Brooks. This is my first critical review of his play during a game, and last night was not a good showing.
I realize you wanted Brooks I am the guy who didn't want to draft Brooks(i seemed to be the only one:laugh:). He just isnt a very smart player he is a very good scorer but his poor decision making and black hole style is one I didn't want. But looking at the roster right now we could use a guy like him we could of got JR Smith for free if we were interested and he is basically the same player imo. I just don't like players who play that way was one of the main reasons I wanted no part of Tyler in the draft also I really wanted Jrue or even Lawson(Lawson would of been a great fit especially for JOB's system:eek:.) I like guys who can score but also know when to pass and play a team style of ball on both ends.

Take Dirk in the finals last year for example. When he was getting triple teamed you saw him hit the open man and make the correct basketball play. Al Jefferson is a player who wont do that on a consistent basis for the Jazz. I tend to shy away from guys who are a black hole to the level of a Jefferson or Brooks.

EDIT: Play I am talking about http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/968909/marshon.gif

smart players who know how to play the game don't do stuff like this. This is a JR Smith type move.

Nuntius
02-25-2012, 02:28 PM

This. Turner almost had a triple-double. He was surely the second most impressive. What was nice about PG is that besides playing very well he was assertive for once. He took the most shots out of anyone and you could tell that he could score with any way he wanted.

Kid Minneapolis
02-25-2012, 03:30 PM
I realize you wanted Brooks I am the guy who didn't want to draft Brooks(i seemed to be the only one:laugh:). He just isnt a very smart player he is a very good scorer but his poor decision making and black hole style is one I didn't want. But looking at the roster right now we could use a guy like him we could of got JR Smith for free if we were interested and he is basically the same player imo. I just don't like players who play that way was one of the main reasons I wanted no part of Tyler in the draft also I really wanted Jrue or even Lawson(Lawson would of been a great fit especially for JOB's system:eek:.) I like guys who can score but also know when to pass and play a team style of ball on both ends.

Take Dirk in the finals last year for example. When he was getting triple teamed you saw him hit the open man and make the correct basketball play. Al Jefferson is a player who wont do that on a consistent basis for the Jazz. I tend to shy away from guys who are a black hole to the level of a Jefferson or Brooks.

EDIT: Play I am talking about http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/968909/marshon.gif

smart players who know how to play the game don't do stuff like this. This is a JR Smith type move.

The bolded part above is exactly what we were saying at draft time... he's got flaws, but what he brings is what this team needs in terms of stirring the offense and getting buckets in the crunch.

But the play you linked is exactly why I wasn't impressed with him last night.. he went from being a "microwave" offensive type player off the bench, to a Ricky Davis-type, selfish, throw-the-ball-off-opponents-rim-just-to-register-a-rebound type player, and it disappointed me.

15th parallel
02-25-2012, 03:54 PM
PG needs to recruit John Wall to Indy! :P

If that's that easy you know... :p

Well, having those kinds of buddies may be an asset in the near future.

pacer4ever
02-25-2012, 04:19 PM
The bolded part above is exactly what we were saying at draft time... he's got flaws, but what he brings is what this team needs in terms of stirring the offense and getting buckets in the crunch.

But the play you linked is exactly why I wasn't impressed with him last night.. he went from being a "microwave" offensive type player off the bench, to a Ricky Davis-type, selfish, throw-the-ball-off-opponents-rim-just-to-register-a-rebound type player, and it disappointed me.

My point at draft time was we could acquire a guy like him in free agency on the cheap and that proved to be true. If we offer JR Smith anything over 2m he would of come here. But in all honesty I don't think he need a volume shooter we just need a few better players off the bench and we can add that this off season in the draft and maybe a free agent or 2. I think adding a guy who defends and is a volume shooter is ok but JR Smiths of the world and the Brooks I don't want unless we get them extremely cheap and on short term deals. They can hurt your team with their play as much as they help.

graphic-er
02-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Okay seriously ya'll are crazy for even considering how good a player looked during this glorified shoot around of a game. This game does not show any sort of actual in game skills. You had half the players dribbling trying to make it look like an AND-1 game with their fancy dribble moves only to hoist up an air ball.

gummy
02-25-2012, 07:37 PM
I was totally amazed that the commentators issued nary a peep about that elbow dunk. I mean, I know it's been done before but it's still worth at least acknowledging, isn't it? Just bad timing for PG - if it hadn't happened during Lin's interview they probably would have made a fairly big deal out of it.

Naptown_Seth
02-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Turner is growing I think. He took a big hit on the transition to the NBA, but I think he's slowly adapting and getting a comfort level. This would suck since he's on the Sixers.

Cousins - I was always for getting him over Favors because I think he has good potential to grow out of his issues as they seemed to be emotionally based rather than just being a jerk. He'll get older and mellow but he won't get less powerful or less giant.

Favors - he was insanely raw coming out. I liked him but I was warning people not to expect too much too soon. Of all the guys in his class he was the least NBA-ready despite his physical stature. He's been doing better than I expected to be honest.

I agree that Paul being assertive was nice to see. And the elbow dunk was ridiculous. Freaking Lin. Well at least Lin is out of the dunk competition whereas Roy Hibbert is not. Suck on that Linsanity. :)