PDA

View Full Version : Just an intersting little tidbit...

pacerDU
02-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Roy Hibbert was on the ESPN First Take podcast today with Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith and he had an interesting little story to tell.

He talks about a time when he went to a WWE show (back in DC when he was growing up). Kwame Brown had just gotten drafted (by the Washington Wizards of course) and was also at the event. Hibbert being a 6'10" guy at the time goes up to Brown and tries to shake his hand. Apparently Brown just looks him up and down and walks off with his entourage. Roy said he then decided that he was going to get into the NBA and as he put it "show him the business". The first points he scored in the NBA was against who? That's right - Kwame Brown.

Anyway, I'll let Roy tell the story properly:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7612567

(His interview starts at around the 56.30 min mark)

2minutes twoa
02-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Shaq has a very similar story about David Robinson. I'm glad Roy used this experience as fuel!!

pacers74
02-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Very cool!

Derek2k3
02-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Funny that it was Kwame.

AKA, a total joke. Honestly, it's sad when people are pleasantly surprised that a #1 pick is averaging 6/6 in 20mpg.

Well done, Roy!

Indra
02-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Shaq has a very similar story about David Robinson. I'm glad Roy used this experience as fuel!!

Really? I had always heard good things about David Robinson... Surprising to me.

mattie
02-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Really? I had always heard good things about David Robinson... Surprising to me.

Robinson and Shaq have such contrasting attitudes about life, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they clash on a personal level.

Day-V
02-25-2012, 08:42 PM
I love Stephen A. Smith. Because of him, whenever I hear the word "however" i immediately shout out "HOWEVUH!"

pacerwaala
02-25-2012, 09:22 PM

Robinson was and remains a classy person. Shaq is the one that comes out as petty and full of it. Just see how he does not give Dwight Howard any props.

IMHO -

Naptown_Seth
02-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Roy needs a wallet that says Bad Mother ******.

And amazingly he's a well educated, nice kid rather than just a punk with a chip. To me it makes the motivation a little more impressive because he tempered it with context and proper goals - a controlled fire.

2minutes twoa
02-26-2012, 04:10 PM

I agree! The Admiral always seemed to definitely be one of the good guys. Maybe it was a misunderstanding, but Shaq felt disrespected I guess.

From SI.com:

Apparently upset with the Admiral for his tepid response to O'Neal's autograph request years earlier, Shaq referred to him as ''Punk *** David Robinson'' in his book Shaq Talks Back. O'Neal also wrote that he wanted to dominate Robinson on the court ''because I got tired of the goody-two-shoes image he was throwing out there.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/nba.shaq.speaks.his.mind/content.4.html

billbradley
02-26-2012, 04:57 PM
1996 All Star Game

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dy-0RWbbzd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dgreenwell3
02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
I agree! The Admiral always seemed to definitely be one of the good guys. Maybe it was a misunderstanding, but Shaq felt disrespected I guess.

From SI.com:

Apparently upset with the Admiral for his tepid response to O'Neal's autograph request years earlier, Shaq referred to him as ''Punk *** David Robinson'' in his book Shaq Talks Back. O'Neal also wrote that he wanted to dominate Robinson on the court ''because I got tired of the goody-two-shoes image he was throwing out there.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/nba.shaq.speaks.his.mind/content.4.html

As a navy brat, I find it extremely hard to believe anything I hear negative about the admiral. He is justsuch a great guy...great role model for young people.

Kstat
02-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Robinson obviously comes off as a very respectable human being, but he's always had issues dealing with people he couldn't relate to.

vnzla81
02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Robinson obviously comes off as a very respectable human being, but he's always had issues dealing with people he couldn't relate to.

Yep Rodman hates the guy, I think he wanted to convert him.

Rinuven
02-26-2012, 08:25 PM
1996 All Star Game

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dy-0RWbbzd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seeing this reminds me just how much of a beast Shaq really was in his physical prime. Give props to Robinson for even making an attempt on defense. I would have wet my pants and stepped out of the way. :)

Swingman
02-26-2012, 09:02 PM
of course, he followed that up with his signature brick from the free throw line.

wonder how many shots he actually hit more than 1 ft away from the basket?