PDA

View Full Version : Frank Isola, NY Daily News - "Knicks could easily get to the #3 seed"

Derek2k3
02-24-2012, 06:56 PM
:laugh:

This guy. He is on NBATV with Aldridge et al and they are discussing the Knicks. He claims the Knicks shouldn't have a problem catching Philly, and if they do the #3 seed is theirs.

Followed by saying, "Hey, you get the Bulls in round 2, meet up with Miami in the ECF. Some people may say this is a stretch, but look at how well they played against Miami without Lin/Melo doing well!"

1. "Some people" may say that is a stretch? Anyone with something resembling a brain would say that.

2. So, staying close with Miami now makes you the #3 team in the East?

3. Why should anyone think the Knicks are better than:

a. Indiana
b. Orlando
c. Atlanta
d. Philly

What a joke. At least I'm reminded how much I hate the Knicks.

Will Galen
02-24-2012, 07:00 PM
If I remember right, the division winners are the first three seeds, thus he's right, if the Knicks pass Philly they would likely be the third seed. That doesn't mean other teams like the Pacers and Magic couldn't have better records.

Hmmm, they might have changed that a couple years ago though . . . let me check this out.

EDIT: NBA Playoff Format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Playoffs

Following the NBA regular season, eight teams in each conference qualify for the playoffs and are seeded one to eight.
The team that has the best record in each of the three divisions in each conference is declared division champion. The three champions, and another team in the conference with the best record, are seeded one through four by their records. This guarantees that the division champions will be no lower than fourth seed, and also ensures that a conference's two best teams (by record) are ranked as the top two.

However, because the NBA does not re-seed its teams and because home court advantage goes to the team with the better record, not the better seeding, division winners are guaranteed no better than a de-facto five seed, as their 4th seeding does not guarantee home court advantage in the first round, and after the first round the 4 vs 5 winner will play the same teams as the loser would have played had they won the first round. This will continue throughout the remainder of the playoffs and to the finals until the 4 vs 5 winner loses a playoff round or wins the championship. Of the remaining eleven conference teams, the four with the best records are seeded fifth through eighth based on their record.

OlBlu
02-24-2012, 07:05 PM
:laugh:

This guy. He is on NBATV with Aldridge et al and they are discussing the Knicks. He claims the Knicks shouldn't have a problem catching Philly, and if they do the #3 seed is theirs.

Followed by saying, "Hey, you get the Bulls in round 2, meet up with Miami in the ECF. Some people may say this is a stretch, but look at how well they played against Miami without Lin/Melo doing well!"

1. "Some people" may say that is a stretch? Anyone with something resembling a brain would say that.

2. So, staying close with Miami now makes you the #3 team in the East?

3. Why should anyone think the Knicks are better than:

a. Indiana
b. Orlando
c. Atlanta
d. Philly

What a joke. At least I'm reminded how much I hate the Knicks.

I think it is entirely possible that the Knicks could pass all four of those teams. I expect them to get better and I expect Boston to be better in the second half too.......:cool:

able
02-24-2012, 07:36 PM
possible ? yes. Probable?

if the Pacers go 17 - 16 over the 2ndhalf, which is a lot worse than the fist half, then NY (who has only 31 games left) needs to 21 - 10 to match us.
Philly then has to go no better than 18-14 and Orlando no better than 16-15 while Atlanta can not do better then 18-14

And that is without looking at deciders.

mathemical highly unlikley.

Derek2k3
02-24-2012, 07:45 PM
possible ? yes. Probable?

if the Pacers go 17 - 16 over the 2ndhalf, which is a lot worse than the fist half, then NY (who has only 31 games left) needs to 21 - 10 to match us.
Philly then has to go no better than 18-14 and Orlando no better than 16-15 while Atlanta can not do better then 18-14

And that is without looking at deciders.

mathemical highly unlikley.

And the way he spoke about it in the interview, it was hilarious.

He basically acted as though the Knicks have no issues as a team, and should be the #3, and flippantly talked like getting to the ECF would be a reasonable expectation.

All for a team that two weeks ago was 7 games under .500

Not saying they aren't an ok team, just not buying into Lin turning them into one of the top 3 teams in the East.

tora tora
02-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Knicks are dangerous with JR Smith in the rotation now.

able
02-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Knicks are dangerous with JR Smith in the rotation now.

You serious? can they play together ? who takes the shot?
Unless the NBA starts playing with 2 balls, there aint enough ball to go round on that team
And you can have as many scorers as you want; in the end you need a "team" to play basketball

tora tora
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Tell that to Steve Novak.

vnzla81
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah NY is the 3rd best team in the east, they are the only ones that have a chance to beat Chicago and probably Miami, even though I don't think Miami lose to anybody this year.

Slick Pinkham
02-24-2012, 08:05 PM
People need to read Will Galen's post carefully. If the Knicks manage to pass Philly, who seem to be coming down to Earth, then they will be seeded higher than us, even if we have a better record. Unless, of course, we manage to pass Chicago.

edit-- my bad, I was wrong, only got half of the story... only a top 4 is guaranteed

able
02-24-2012, 08:09 PM
People need to read Will Galen's post carefully. If the Knicks manage to pass Philly, who seem to be coming down to Earth, then they will be seeded higher than us, even if we have a better record. Unless, of course, we manage to pass Chicago.

no wrong, even if they do, if they have a lesser record than the Pacers they will be seeded 4 and not 3

Winning a division guarantees you a top 4 seed not a particular one, if Chi has the best record and ours would be better than Miami, we would be 2nd

Smits Happens
02-24-2012, 08:11 PM

That's not correct. They are only then guaranteed a top four seed. If the Pacers had the third best record in the East behind Chicago and Miami, the Pacers are the three seed and NY (or Philly) is four.

cdash
02-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Yeah NY is the 3rd best team in the east, they are the only ones that have a chance to beat Chicago and probably Miami, even though I don't think Miami lose to anybody this year.

Yeah, probably. I don't think they will get the 3 seed in the East just because they have such an uphill climb to get it, but I think they are probably the most dangerous Eastern Conference playoff team after the Miami/Chicago duo.

rock747
02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Homerrrr

Peck
02-24-2012, 08:14 PM

They are?

Not according to the standings they aren't. You know that pesky thing called the win/loss record that actually shows New York as being the seventh best team in the East.

vnzla81
02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
They are?

Not according to the standings they aren't. You know that pesky thing called the win/loss record that actually shows New York as being the seventh best team in the East.

The are not right now but at the end the will, either by seating or end result on the playoffs.

Lin,Amare and Melo had an ok night last night and they only lost by 10(I think) no other team can do that in the east in my opinion.

rexnom
02-24-2012, 08:45 PM
They are?

That's not fair. They've played the majority of the season without Lin, Amare, and Melo. They are much better than their record indicates.

TheDon
02-24-2012, 09:19 PM
That's not fair. They've played the majority of the season without Lin, Amare, and Melo. They are much better than their record indicates.

they've also had the easiest schedule than any other team in the league halfway through the season.

It's going to be fun when reality hits that team. I think Lin will be good but I think the expectations he's been dealt are unrealistic and unfair. Also speaking of Lin it sucks how much you have to hear about him because of him being in New York and ESPN cause I'm just getting tired of hearing about it to the point that I want them to go on some insane losing streak just so that I don't have to hear about it.

Hibbert
02-24-2012, 09:21 PM
The are not right now but at the end the will, either by seating or end result on the playoffs.

Lin,Amare and Melo had an ok night last night and they only lost by 10(I think) no other team can do that in the east in my opinion.

Really? You didn't watch the game cause it was over at halftime. The knicks were never in that game ever. They have no chemistry and every one of their big names are all so inconsistant. I like the TEAM we got in a seven game series more than that joke you call the knicks.

vnzla81
02-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Really? You didn't watch the game cause it was over at halftime. The knicks were never in that game ever. They have no chemistry and every one of their big names are all so inconsistant. I like the TEAM we got in a seven game series more than that joke you call the knicks.

I'm pretty sure they are call the Knicks, I did not name them.

Cubs231721
02-24-2012, 09:31 PM
It will be pretty difficult for the Knicks to get homecourt in the first round. 17 of the 31 left are on the road and 19 of the 31 are against teams currently in the playoffs. Even with identical schedules, it would be hard for the Knicks to make up how many games they are behind. But the schedules aren't identical as the Knicks probably have the hardest schedule in the East though after the break. It isn't all that likely for them to even get past Philly.

owl
02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Hicks vs Knicks would be fun. 4vs5 seed could happen

Hibbert
02-24-2012, 09:51 PM

You missed the point smart a. They aren't a real team, they are a circus act, a joke and it all starts with their management. On paper you see the names and know what each player is capable of but it doesn't translate on the court and it won't unless they do something about it. You can't make a team when half the players on that team are some of the most selfish players alive. My point was you didn't even watch the Heat and Knicks game, you just saw that the Knicks lost by ten and thought that wasn't bad but in reality, had you watched the game, you would of known that the Knicks were completely out of that game the whole time. Keep posting your know all brotha.

Derek2k3
02-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I love how people buy into the hype around the Knicks.

You're going to tell me Jeremy Lin, J.R. Smith and Tyson Chandler single handedly make the Knicks improve 5 spots? Last season they were a bad 8 seed, now they are a 3 seed that can beat Chicago?

Ok.

Derek2k3
02-24-2012, 10:56 PM

They also lost to New Orleans and New Jersey.

And they aren't the only team to hang with Miami, Milwaukee beat them twice this year.

You shouldn't base a teams viability based on one game. Miami is as vulnerable to a bad game as anyone. And anyone who watched that NYK/MIA game last night realized NY wasn't any closer to beating Miami than the Pacers were.

NY could turn out to be great, but as of now it is all guesswork. They have lost 3 of 5 after a scintillating start to the Lin era, lets see how things balance out.

Nuntius
02-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Do you even understand the word "team" or you just think that 2-3 stars and lots of talent equals a great team?

vnzla81
02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Do you even understand the word "team" or you just think that 2-3 stars and lots of talent equals a great team?

My bad I forgot about Miami....

Nuntius
02-24-2012, 11:35 PM

There are several differences between the Heat and the Knicks:

1) Carmelo Anthony is worse than LeBron James.

2) Amar'e Stoudemire is older than Chris Bosh.

3) The Knicks do not have anyone on the level of Dwyane Wade.

4) This is probably the most important difference, though. LeBron James can[b/] and [b]will defer to Dwyane Wade. Chrish Bosh won't have major problem with not getting a lot of as well. Carmelo Anthony will not defer to anyone.

Edit:

One more point. The Heat have built a team that revolves around Wade's and Bron's ability to drive. That's why they've surrounded them with sharp-shooters (James Jones, Mike Miller, Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers) and with bigs that have a mid-range game (Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem). They do this in order to either open up the lanes for the drive or create an open jumper. They have a plan. And it works most of the time.

The Knicks have a team (and most importantly a coach) that revolves around the PnR. Lin can run the PnR very well, Chandler and Amar'e can finish on the PnR very well and players like Steve Novak can punish the enemy defenses with their spot up shooting. Carmelo is a player who specifies in ISOs. He simply does not fit the team's plan. Now, if he was content with not having the ball in his hand it would be ok. But he has a problem with it. He will be discontent if the ball is in Lin's hands most of the time. And if they want to win, the ball has to be in Lin's hands. If Carmelo is traded for another high caliber player that fits the team's needs then I could see them being the 3rd best team in the East. 'Till then I cannot.

Derek2k3
02-24-2012, 11:56 PM

Oh my.

Lebron/Wade are comfortably 2 of the top 3 players in the league. In fact, they may be the best two, depends on how you feel about Durant/Kobe.

Melo/Amare are comfortably 2 of the top 10-15 players in the league.

No comparison.

And Miami's talent lost to Dallas' team last season.

daschysta
02-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Oh my.

Lebron/Wade are comfortably 2 of the top 3 players in the league. In fact, they may be the best two, depends on how you feel about Durant/Kobe.

Melo/Amare are comfortably 2 of the top 10-15 players in the league.

No comparison.

And Miami's talent lost to Dallas' team last season.

Amare hasn't even been a top 20 player this year. He's regressed horribly. He's average offensively and crap defensively.

shags
02-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Really? You didn't watch the game cause it was over at halftime. The knicks were never in that game ever.

:wtf2:

I watched every minute of that game against Miami. I was impressed with the Knicks ability to stay with Miami in the first half (it was only a 4 point game at halftime) in spite of the fact that they didn't play well. Miami just took the game over in the third quarter, but it was close at halftime. The Knicks impressed me with their toughness.

They may not get to the third seed, but as long as they're not 7 or 8, they have a great shot at winning a first round series, as long as Lin can keep this up.

Sollozzo
02-25-2012, 12:43 AM

I watched every minute of that game against Miami. I was impressed with the Knicks ability to stay with Miami in the first half (it was only a 4 point game at halftime) in spite of the fact that they didn't play well. Miami just took the game over in the third quarter, but it was close at halftime. The Knicks impressed me with their toughness.

They may not get to the third seed, but as long as they're not 7 or 8, they have a great shot at winning a first round series, as long as Lin can keep this up.

I agree. The Knicks were very physical in the first half. Their D kept them in that game early on. Despite turning the ball over an insane amount, they were still able to stay in that game.

What happened to Amare? Early on last night he was a force, but in the second half I barely remember seeing him. They need to keep him involved.

If that game is in a rocking MSG in a month when the Knicks have more time to gel with a confident Lin then I think they could give the Heat some major major fits. This Miami team has been together a year and a half now and they clearly have it all together, but they went through their own growing pains early on last season. That's what's happening to the Knicks now with new guys like Lin and JR Smith. Give them some time.

The Knicks will be a tough out in the playoffs.

vnzla81
02-25-2012, 12:47 AM
I agree. The Knicks were very physical in the first half. Their D kept them in that game early on. Despite turning the ball over an insane amount, they were still able to stay in that game.

What happened to Amare? Early on last night he was a force, but in the second half I barely remember seeing him. They need to keep him involved.

If that game is in a rocking MSG in a month when the Knicks have more time to gel with a confident Lin then I think they could give the Heat some major major fits. This Miami team has been together a year and a half now and they clearly have it all together, but they went through their own growing pains early on last season. That's what's happening to the Knicks now with new guys like Lin and JR Smith. Give them some time.

The Knicks will be a tough out in the playoffs.

I agree with this, the Knicks are going to be hard to deal with, their starting five are really good, people also forget that they have Chandler too.

Jessen
02-25-2012, 12:48 AM

Why do you think EVERYONE is better than the Pacers? Just because Lin has been on ESPN and the cover of sports illustrated for 2 weeks in a row does not automatically make the Knicks a contender. The Knicks are certainly playing very well currently, but I'm in no way convinced that they are a top 5 seed. The "Lin Stretch" has been nice, but let's not forget that it's been largely at home AND it's been against mostly awful teams(besides Lakers, Hawks, and Mavs). The Knicks are 17-18. Simple as that. The media has blown this way, way, way out of proportion just like they do with all of the big market team stories.

Oh and if DC went 1-11, had 8 turnovers, and a -19 +- you would be screaming for a trade. :-p

The grass is always greener...

Hibbert
02-25-2012, 12:48 AM

The Knicks never had a chance. Yes it was a four point game at half but Miami pulled James and Wade the last six minutes before half and Melo scored five straight and the last five before half. They never stood a chance. Vnzla I just want you to admit that you didn't watch the damn game, you spoke out your a and never bothered to reply to my comment you just thanked someone elses.

vnzla81
02-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Why do you think EVERYONE is better than the Pacers? Just because Lin has been on ESPN and the cover of sports illustrated for 2 weeks in a row does not automatically make the Knicks a contender. The Knicks are certainly playing very well currently, but I'm in no way convinced that they are a top 5 seed. The "Lin Stretch" has been nice, but let's not forget that it's been largely at home AND it's been against mostly awful teams(besides Lakers, Hawks, and Mavs). The Knicks are 17-18. Simple as that. The media has blown this way, way, way out of proportion just like they do with all of the big market team stories.

Oh and if DC went 1-11, had 8 turnovers, and a -19 +- you would be screaming for a trade. :-p

The grass is always greener...

Stop it.

Anthem
02-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Vnzla I just want you to admit that you didn't watch the damn game
Good luck with that. :laugh:

rexnom
02-25-2012, 12:56 AM
The next month or so will be a bit dicey for the Knicks because they will essentially have to use games as practices to get everyone used to each other. However, come playoff time, they're going to be really tough to beat. They've got some great bench guys, a defensive anchor, shooters, and two top scorers (one perimeter and one paint). Lin is key because before him they didn't have a point guard to bring it all together. Now they do and it could mean the difference between no playoffs and the second round.

Peck
02-25-2012, 01:30 AM

Why is it not fair? Can I then claim that our loss to Philly shouldn't count because both Danny & George didn't play?

I hate to use the cliche but it is factual, you are what your record say's you are.

The Knicks actually played far better without Melo than they have with him. Amare' is hardly scary and frankly I'm still holding out on going gaga over Lin until he has played for a month and other teams have seen tape on him and scouted him.

I think what he has done is impressive, that can not be argued. But let's see if it sustains.

I will not admit that they are superior to us just because they rolled off some wins while Carmello was out and Lin came out of nowhere.

I'm as disgusted as anyone by our five game losing streak but that does not mean that I am going to just bump up other teams because they go on a hot streak. If that were the case then Boston should have been considered better than us as well because they went on a hot streak and started winning, however that did not sustain and now they are on a losing stretch again.

Hoop
02-25-2012, 02:09 AM
I have to agree with vnzla81 on this one. The Knicks COULD be the 3rd best team in the East by playoff time.

Not saying they will be, but they have the talent with everyone healthy. They are not going to finish in the top 3 standing wise though, Frank Isola is an idiot.

Depending on Rose's back and the overall health of Chicago, The Pacers COULD be the 2nd best team by playoff time. It COULD happen.

Day-V
02-25-2012, 02:16 AM

Miami actually plays defense.

TheDavisBrothers
02-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Can they make it to the 3 seed? yes
Can they do it "easily"? hell no

xIndyFan
02-25-2012, 02:17 AM
the knicks could be a good team, but i wouldn't hold my breath. too many thin reeds have to hold up. it will be a fun story for a while, and for us knickhaters a happy ending as the knicks crash and burn.

Nuntius
02-25-2012, 02:21 AM
The Knicks COULD be the 3rd best team in the East by playoff time.

There's a big difference between the could that you used and the is that vnzla81 used.

pacersgroningen
02-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I agree with most of the posters here that the Knicks could have the talent to be a 3rd seed. However due to circumstances (injuries, chemistry) they are not in a position to make it. Everybody keeps talking about Lin and how great he is, it is starting to look like the Knicks have a big 3 as well, at least looking at the coverage they get.

I do respect Lin for working hard and making the most of his situation, but the hyperbole is way over the top. Yes, he is pretty good at the PnR, but the guy is not an all-star. Just like almost every other rookie he will that wall, scouting reports are coming in every day and it will be a challenge for him to counter this as teams are adjusting to him. For now it's all fine and dandy, but if we'd be starting a pg avering 3.6 TO in 24 minutes of play that barely registered a 1.5 assist/to ratio and is an average (being friendly here) defender, most here would be on suicide watch.

shags
02-25-2012, 08:07 AM
The Knicks never had a chance. Yes it was a four point game at half but Miami pulled James and Wade the last six minutes before half and Melo scored five straight and the last five before half. They never stood a chance. Vnzla I just want you to admit that you didn't watch the damn game, you spoke out your a and never bothered to reply to my comment you just thanked someone elses.

Here's the play-by-play of the second quarter of that game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=320223014&period=2

Wade had 6 points in the last six minutes, and LeBron had a thunderous dunk. And while Melo scored the last 5 Knick points, Chalmers hit a 3 in between his baskets.

Hibbert
02-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Here's the play-by-play of the second quarter of that game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=320223014&period=2

Wade had 6 points in the last six minutes, and LeBron had a thunderous dunk. And while Melo scored the last 5 Knick points, Chalmers hit a 3 in between his baskets.

What game are you talking about? Both times the two teams have played, the Knicks were down four at half. Vnzla said in his first post the Knicks lost by ten so Im pretty sure he was talking about the first matchup which is what I was talking about. Thanks for the highlight video though.

able
02-25-2012, 01:42 PM

I am pretty sure their name is The New York Knickerbockers and I have a feeling you may have something to do with that abbreviation!

Peck
02-25-2012, 02:04 PM
I am pretty sure their name is The New York Knickerbockers and I have a feeling you may have something to do with that abbreviation!

:laugh::laugh: