PDA

View Full Version : Paul George Promises Excitement Despite Lack of Superstars in the NBA Dunk Contest

90'sNBARocked
02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/02/24/nba-all-star-weekend-paul-george-dunk-contest/

I donít pay much attention to the Slam Dunk Contest in normal years. Sure, Iíve been impressed with some of the highlights of the past few years, but Iím certainly not tempted to find the contest while itís airing. This year I might not even pay attention to the highlights given that thereís a field of four players Iíve barely ever heard of.

The contest features ó and I use that term lightly ó Chase Budinger of the Houston Rockets; Paul George of the Indiana Pacers; Jeremy Evans of the Utah Jazz; and Derrick Williams of the Minnesota Timberwolves. Iman Shumpert was scheduled to be a part of the show and was going to employ Jeremy Lin, but now heís hurt and thereís one less reason to watch. Or maybe Iím just a Scrooge. As George tells it, there are no players in the contest that canít wow the fans. Maybe theyíll make a name for themselves in the process.

Paul George joined Fox Sports Radio with Fox Sports Daybreak to discuss how he got involved in the contest, how he can win it, what heís got lined up in terms of dunks, his favorite dunk contest memory, how heís become so much better shooting the ball from outside, if he would date Kim Kardashian and which guy heís looking forward to competing against in the dunk contest.

How did you get into the Slam Dunk Contest?:

ďIt really came from my agency pushing for me and my teammates and my organization pushing for me to be in it. Ö Itís the game of basketball. I once heard Kobe Bryant say youíre supposed to be embarrassed sometimes because some of these guys are great in this league. Thatís what I play hard for. Every now and Iím going to get a play where it doesnít go my way, but thatís what I like to compete for, just to challenge myself.Ē

This competition is going to be based on fan favorites, yet none of the players are real big names. How do you plan on winning it?:

ďIím sure the actual basketball fans and fans of the dunk contest [will watch]. Iíve got some dunks lined up that will have them off their feet and some stuff they havenít seen before. I think the real and honest fans of the dunk contest will appreciate the dunks that Iíve got for them.Ē

Can you give us a sneak preview of what youíve got planned?:

ďI canít throw it all out there. Well, I mean, Iím trying to get either Larry Bird out there or Iíll definitely use Roy and maybe another 7-footer.Ē

You were listed as 6-foot-8 coming out of college, but is it true youíre now 6-10?:

ďIím not 6-10 exactly, Iím 6-9 and maybe a little change. I did grow this past summer, so they werenít lying about that.Ē

Whatís your favorite memory of dunk contests in the past?:

ďMy favorite dunk contest was when Jordan and Dominique Wilkins went at it. That was definitely something fun to watch. They definitely gave a show for the fans. It was crazy, it was a lot of creativity, a lot of power in their dunks. Itís something thatíll be with me forever.Ē

You could be in the 3-point contest as well. How is a guy of your stature so good from beyond the arc?:

ďI struggled last season, so with the lockout and everything, I had a lot of time to really get comfortable back there. So now itís just shooting it with confidence this year and my teammates have been finding me. It always helps when youíve got Roy Hibbert and David West, two guys who demand double teams. That offense leaves me with open 3s.Ē

Would you date Kim Kardashian?:

ďUm, I would not. Sheís a beautiful girl, but thatís not what I want my name to be associated with.Ē

Who will be the stiffest competition in the dunk contest?:

ďI donít know. Me and Derrick Williams have been going at it ever since this summer, so I look forward to going against him in the dunk contest. Thereíll definitely be some bragging rights back to this summer.Ē

Thats right!! Kim keep that crusty overused and overated thing away form our boys

:)

The Sleeze
02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Thats right!! Kim keep that crusty overused and overated thing away form our boys :)

Did you have to use the descriptive word "crusty".....such a horrible visual.

ilive4sports
02-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Great interview from Paul. This kid, hes a game changer for us.

BRushWithDeath
02-24-2012, 02:35 PM

The visual is still better than the smell.

Pingu
02-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Agreed, though "Crusty" surely is a word Sterling Malory Archer wouldn't mind using.

Trader Joe
02-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I gagged reading this thread....twice.

90'sNBARocked
02-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Really? You were "offended" by that?

I will try and refrain in the future

90'sNBARocked
02-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Why?

The Sleeze
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Really? You were "offended" by that?

I will try and refrain in the future

Not offended at all.........just a bad visual, and also why I would think being a gynecologist isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Also its funny how quickly we turned the Paul George Dunk thread into Feminine Hygiene 101.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2012, 02:54 PM
I feel like it's a breath of fresh air from all these superstars in the dunk contest.

ndcoltsnpacers
02-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Sooo... Paul wants to possibly use Roy AND another 7-footer? Is he gonna jump over 2 guys or something?

The Sleeze
02-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Sooo... Paul wants to possibly use Roy AND another 7-footer? Is he gonna jump over 2 guys or something?

Maybe it will be the newest Pacer....Chris Kaman! ;)

rel
02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
maybe he'll have Dwight on Roy's shoulders and dunk over all of them...how awesome would that be haha

TheDon
02-24-2012, 03:11 PM
A lot of people actually think Paul is going to win this. I saw on Paul George's twitter feed that Kenny Smith picked him to win it. I also like this dunk contest granted i'm a bit biased but the lack of superstar draw will put it on a pretty even playing field it sucks going into the dunk competition knowing without a shadow of a doubt whio is going to win.

J7F
02-24-2012, 03:12 PM

That was the part that cracked me up!

Ace E.Anderson
02-24-2012, 03:12 PM
The kid may be inconsistent as hell, but you have to love the young man that is Paul George. Very good head on his shoulders, articulate, intelligent, yet competitive as hell.

Now if he could only work on his consistency :-)

J7F
02-24-2012, 03:15 PM

That was my thought! Would love to see it!

AesopRockOn
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM

So did Kim, just no reading involved.

#aslongaswe'regoingthere

31andonly
02-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Well...I just hope he doesn't try to jump over cars wearing Superman shirts or stuff like that.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
I wonder if he'll wear a Pacers cape.

CableKC
02-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Having PG in the Dunk Contest will give him and the Pacers some good exposure. Probably 4/5 of the casual NBA fan that watches the Dunk Contest probably have no clue who he is. I really hope that he does something that will blow people away.

ndcoltsnpacers
02-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Well...I just hope he doesn't try to jump over cars wearing Superman shirts or stuff like that.

What if he wore El Pacero's mask, and jumped over his AMC Pacer?

neosmndrew
02-24-2012, 04:09 PM
He should try a do a replay of Bird's stealing of Isiah Thomas's inbound ball, where Larry plays himself and PG plays Dennis Johnson, only its a thunderous dunk instead of a layup (would be nice if he could get Isiah to participate as well).

imawhat
02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Paul was going back and forth with one of the Kardashian sisters this summer on twitter. Not Kim, but he seemed pretty friendly with another one.

mattie
02-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Something tells me Paul George is way more worried about Tricia Whitaker than any Kardashian sister... bet he tears that up this weekend.

He should.

I would if I had the chance.

ilive4sports
02-24-2012, 04:41 PM
So did Kim, just no reading involved.

#aslongaswe'regoingthere

and this is why you have my vote for most humorous poster

imbtyler
02-24-2012, 06:32 PM
What if he wore El Pacero's mask, and jumped over his AMC Pacer?

That would be epic! Except.... that would unmask El Pacero on live television...

I wonder if he'll wear a Pacers cape.

And a crown, because he's King George!

imbtyler
02-24-2012, 08:09 PM
This looked appropriate to place here.

Jeremy Lin explains Slam Dunk Contest couch plan (http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34980032)

Iman Shumpert and Jeremy Lin's dunk would have involved a couch, Landry Fields and Sprite. (Getty Images) Posted by Ben Golliver

ORLANDO -- Blake Griffin's dunk-over-the-Kia will remain the corniest Slam Dunk Contest concept for at least another year.

New York Knicks guard Iman Shumpert was a late scratch due to injury, and Shumpert's departure prevented Knicks guard Jeremy Lin from taking the Slam Dunk Contest to a whole new level of ridiculousness.

Lin, a 23-year-old Taiwanese-American, has become a global sensation over the last few weeks. He barely avoided getting released by the Knicks before emerging as a big-time player once he moved into a starting role in February. The symbol of Lin's rags-to-riches journey became a couch, as he was reportedly crashing on the living room furniture of his teammate, Landry Fields, and his brother because he didn't want to rent his own place in Manhattan with his future unknown.

Word leaked earlier this week that the Knicks guard duo planned to incorporate Lin and a couch into their 2012 Slam Dunk Contest routine.

Lin laid out the whole plan in detail during a Friday press conference prior to the Rising Stars Challenge.

"We actually had a sweet idea," Lin explained. "Landry was going to roll a couch out with a cover over it, I was going to be sleeping underneath it, and then we were going to pull the cover, I was going to throw Iman an alley-oop from the couch, and he was going to jump over both me and the couch, windmill it and then sit down and have Landry hand him a Sprite. That was our idea, but it didn't happen."

Shumpert scratched last week due to a sore knee, and he was replaced by Utah Jazz forward Jeremy Evans. Shumpert will also sit out the Rising Stars Challenge.

"He got hurt and hopefully he gets better," Lin said. "We miss him and wish he was here with us in this game that we're about to play."

:rolleyes: That would have won the vote too. That's so lame and unfun and pathetic. I can't wait until tomorrow to see how much better all three of Paul's dunks are going to be than that waste of airtime.

TheDon
02-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Jeremy Lin explains Slam Dunk Contest couch plan (http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34980032)

:rolleyes: That would have won the vote too. That's so lame and unfun and pathetic. I can't wait until tomorrow to see how much better all three of Paul's dunks are going to be than that waste of airtime.

absolutely and top it all off with the product placement garbage

Eddie Gill
02-24-2012, 08:15 PM
and this is why you have my vote for most humorous poster

Just won my vote as well.

Smits Happens
02-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Yeah that's the kind of crap I hate about the dunk contest now. Too gimmicky.

graphic-er
02-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Something tells me Paul George is way more worried about Tricia Whitaker than any Kardashian sister... bet he tears that up this weekend.

He should.

I would if I had the chance.

LOL. I seen her on Pacers.com interviewing all the rookies and sophmores. PYT!

TheDon
02-24-2012, 11:43 PM
there was a poll on TNT open to fan votes on who they think will win the NBA dunk contest 42% gave it to Paul George

Lance George
02-25-2012, 04:27 PM
The Favorites for All-Star Saturday Night - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/allstar2012/story/_/id/7614157/nba-favorites-all-star-saturday-night)

Slam Dunk Contest

Last year's event had a lot of highlights, but the biggest problem was the judging, not in the dunks themselves. (JaVale McGee's two-basket dunk, for instance, is probably the most difficult feat I've ever seen completed in this event, but McGee finished second to Blake Griffin.)

Apparently the league did too. This year, they'll shake things up by soullessly pushing George Gervin and Julius Erving to the unemployment line and instead judge the dunker based solely on a fan vote. I'm worried how that will work out (thank goodness fan favorite Jeremy Lin (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4299/jeremy-lin) isn't competing, let's put it that way), but I do like change in format, which now features one round with three dunks. Too many times in the past, players had great first-round dunks that didn't count once they got to the final round; as a result, dunkers began to calculate whether to use their best stuff to get to the final or save it for later.

This year's field includes Houston's Chase Budinger (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3968/chase-budinger), Indiana's Paul George (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4251/paul-george), Utah's Jeremy Evans (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4295/jeremy-evans) and Minnesota's Derrick Williams (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6480/derrick-williams). Smaller players typically have the advantage in this competition, because their dunks just look more spectacular, but all four of these guys are about the same size.

The dark horse here is Evans, a little-used string bean forward who has the best springs of the group but may lack the coordination to complete more difficult feats. Budinger and Williams are the favorites. Budinger's volleyball experience should help him here, since a lot of the dunks require you to "set" yourself, and his in-game dunk rťsumť is probably the best of this group, too. I'll say Budinger wins, with Williams second, Evans third and George fourth.

The pick: Chase Budinger

Lance George
02-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Has anyone here watched the NBA's hype video for Budinger in the dunk contest? It's pitiful.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AE2mF2nntTc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AE2mF2nntTc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Either the NBA needs to find more talented people to put together their hype videos, or Chase Budinger has no business being in this contest.

Lance George
02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Well, it looks like it's the NBA's video producers, as this fan-made Budinger mix (mainly comprised of pre-NBA material) is far more impressive.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VNuYptpI95o?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VNuYptpI95o?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nuntius
02-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Either the NBA needs to find more talented people to put together their hype videos, or Chase Budinger has no business being in this contest.

It is surely NBA's video producers. I really do not know what it's up with video producers of certain leagues. The same BS happens in the Euroleague. They are either incompetent in doing this or some restrictions that we are not aware of exist. I just cannot get why this is happening :p

TheDon
02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Hollinger has George finishing 4th after the fan vote last night he got 42% of the vote? :haters: