PDA

View Full Version : Mel is in HOF!

PacerGuy
02-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Per tweet from count55/Tim Donahue

HALLELUJAH! RT @SHowardCooper: Mel Daniels elected to Hall of Fame, http://NBA.com has learned, as part of new format.

FYI. Good to hear. Here's hoping Slick & Reggie are soon behind!

RWB
02-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PacersHomer
02-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Congrats Mel!!!!

Brad8888
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
New format for the hall (still lowercase h until Reggie and Slick are inducted)?

Hopefully it won't be divided into a class system somehow like IHSAA class basketball.

Pacergeek
02-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Roger Brown, George Mcginnis, Reggie Miller, and Slick Leonard should all be in the HOF. Shame on the voters and their dirty politics

Hicks
02-24-2012, 11:47 AM
About damned time!

Now get the rest in there, starting with Slick!

croz24
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Roger Brown, George Mcginnis, Reggie Miller, and Slick Leonard should all be in the HOF. Shame on the voters and their dirty politics

Roger will never get in. He just didn't play long enough.

pacer4ever
02-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Jerry Colangelo and the HOF I just lost a ton of respect for. Phil ****ing Knight are you serious?? No doubt politics are involved I have a gut feeling Slick wont get in until it is to late. Seriously take a note from baseball when they ****ed Ron Santo year after year I am sorry but this is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in some time. Stern and the NBA and Jerry should be embarrassed what a joke.

pacer4ever
02-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Then they have Reggie and Mo Cheeks have a speech who both should be in over ****ing Knight. If he doesnt get in there should be a investigation. There should already be one with the election of Knight.

RWB
02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Well Reg made the final 12, hope to see he's actually in this April.

RWB
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
http://www.hoophall.com/news/

Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Announces 12 Finalists for 2012 Election
Friday, February 24, 2012
-- Friday, February 24, 2012 --
First-Time Finalists include Reggie Miller, Rick Pitino, Bill Fitch and Katrina McClain

ORLANDO, FL and SPRINGFIELD, MA – The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today, at NBA All-Star Weekend in Orlando, an elite list of players, coaches, an official and one team as the 12 finalists from the North American and Women’s committees to be considered for election in 2012. The recognition of being honored as a Hall of Fame finalist is a career highlight in the sport of basketball. This year’s list includes four first-time finalists: five-time NBA All-Star Reggie Miller, five-time NCAA Final Four coach Rick Pitino, two-time NBA Coach of the Year Bill Fitch and two-time Olympic gold medalist Katrina McClain. Previous finalists included again this year for consideration are Maurice Cheeks, Bernard King, Dick Motta, Don Nelson, Hank Nichols, Ralph Sampson, Jamaal Wilkes and the All American Red Heads. The Class of 2012 will be unveiled at the NCAA Final Four in April.

“The finalists for the Class of 2012 are a decorated group consisting of some of the greatest leaders that we have ever seen in the game of basketball,” said Jerry Colangelo, chairman of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Board of Governors. “They represent all facets of the game from professional, collegiate, amateur and International levels for the sport.”

Also announced today are five Direct Elects who are the initial members of the Class of 2012. They include Mel Daniels voted in from the American Basketball Association (ABA) Committee, Don Barksdale from the Early African American Pioneers Committee, Lidia Alexeeva from the International Committee, Chet Walker from the Veterans Committee and Phil Knight from the Contributors Direct Election Committee. This year marks the second year of the direct elect process. Last year, the ABA and Early African-American Pioneers committees were added to maintain a strong focus on keeping history on the forefront of the voting process and to preserve a balance between two eras of basketball. These five individuals have been directly elected into the Basketball Hall of Fame and will be a part of the Enshrinement Ceremonies in September along with the eventual members from the North American and Women’s committees.

The complete list of finalists include from the North American Screening Committee: players Maurice Cheeks, Bernard King, Reggie Miller, Ralph Sampson and Jamaal Wilkes; coaches Bill Fitch, Dick Motta, Don Nelson and Rick Pitino; and referee Hank Nichols. From the Women’s Screening Committee: player Katrina McClain and team The All American Red Heads.

The Class of 2012 will be announced on Monday, April 2 at a news conference in New Orleans prior to the NCAA’s Men’s Championship game. A finalist needs 18 of 24 votes from the Honors Committee for election into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. The Class of 2012 will be enshrined during festivities in Springfield, Mass. on Friday, September 7. Tickets to the 2012 Enshrinement and Induction Celebration are available by calling the Hall of Fame at (413) 231-5540.

Sandman21
02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Think of it this way, when Slick gets inducted next year, Mel and Reggie will be there to give the speech. :D

Phil Knight going in over Tom Jernstedt is a crock of crap though.

OlBlu
02-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Per tweet from count55/Tim Donahue

FYI. Good to hear. Here's hoping Slick & Reggie are soon behind!

Great news and very well deserved....:cool:

RWB
02-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Slick's problem is he was never willing to bow down and kiss Arnold Auerbach's @ss. Another reason along with a few other posters in here that will hate the Celtics forever.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Slick's problem is he was never willing to bow down and kiss Arnold Auerbach's @ss. Another reason along with a few other posters in here that will hate the Celtics forever.

Could you please explain what happened? That was long before my time.

Deadshot
02-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Jerry Colangelo and the HOF I just lost a ton of respect for. Phil ****ing Knight are you serious?? No doubt politics are involved I have a gut feeling Slick wont get in until it is to late. Seriously take a note from baseball when they ****ed Ron Santo year after year I am sorry but this is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in some time. Stern and the NBA and Jerry should be embarrassed what a joke.

I say this as a Cubs fan, but I'm not even sure if Santo should be in the hall. But then his death seemed to help his cause. I don't want to get sidetracked here, but it was really an unfortunate situation (which I know you are well aware of, I read your posts about the Cubs). The only difference here is that there is no questioning in my mind that Slick should be in the hall. Get it done HOF.

RWB
02-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Here is the link to the hall of fame tickets in case someone wants to be there for Mel's induction and hopefully Reginald. :)

I think most can handle the $99 pretty easy, but over the $1000 mark gets a little steep. Also you would pretty much have to fly in unless your ready for a 16 hour drive.

http://www.hoophall.com/enshrinement-tickets/

Peck
02-24-2012, 03:58 PM
How the hell is there an ABA committee and no Slick in the hall of fame? :shakehead

Kstat
02-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Long overdue. Good for him.

Sandman21
02-24-2012, 04:11 PM
How the hell is there an ABA committee and no Slick in the hall of fame? :shakehead

Its only been around two years now.:bs:

Sandman21
02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Could you please explain what happened? That was long before my time.

Red was never a fan of the ABA, even after they proved that they could hang with, and often beat the NBA teams. He said something about Slick couldn't cut it in the NBA in Baltimore (with an expansion team). Slick basically retorted that anyone could have won those rings with the talent Red had in Boston.

http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABAArticles/PattisonArticleLeonard.html

QuickRelease
02-24-2012, 04:22 PM
MEL on 1260 right now!

RWB
02-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Hope all wounds will heal after the way Mel was let go. Maybe Mr. Bird put in a few good words for his former coach to Coangelo.

Peck
02-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Its only been around two years now.:bs:

Yes and how exactly is the all-time winningest coach in the league's history not the first person you place in the hall is beyond me. It's not like he is only a game or two ahead of the second place coach either. He has more than 100 wins than Babe McCarthy.

Peck
02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Hope all wounds will heal after the way Mel was let go. Maybe Mr. Bird put in a few good words for his former coach to Coangelo.

I wish that were true, but sadly it is not.

joeyd
02-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Here is the link to the hall of fame tickets in case someone wants to be there for Mel's induction and hopefully Reginald. :)

I think most can handle the $99 pretty easy, but over the $1000 mark gets a little steep. Also you would pretty much have to fly in unless your ready for a 16 hour drive.

http://www.hoophall.com/enshrinement-tickets/

Hey, $10,000 gets two people into every event plus a golf outing with an HOFer or celeb and airfare. Almost like an HOF fantasy camp. While the price tag is a fantasy for most people, you gotta wonder...what would people talk about if they got to hang out with Reggie over 18 holes?

Slick Pinkham
02-24-2012, 05:04 PM
I had no problem with the committee putting in Artis Gilmore last year, who averaged 22 pts and 17 rebounds for his entire ABA career and was an 11-time all-star, after averaging 23 rebounds a game in college (think about that for a moment),

and making me wait another year for a Pacer to get there from the ABA committee. Crazy stats for the A train. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gilmoar01.html

Now Mel is also deserving. I was just hoping Slick would get there first.

It's too bad they cannot just correct all of the ABA oversights at once.

indygeezer
02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
It's too bad they cannot just correct all of the ABA oversights at once.

That would be admitting that they were wrong all these years. Does the NBA ever admit they were wrong?

TMJ31
02-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Great news for Mel!

Great news for Reggie (Even if it is a year late. *Flamesuit*)

Still ridiculous LACK of news for Slick, which is just a joke at this point...

Slick Pinkham
02-24-2012, 06:44 PM
That would be admitting that they were wrong all these years. Does the NBA ever admit they were wrong?

At least with the committee they are taking teeny baby steps. It took 35 years to get THAT much. Fixing the error one player at a time one year at a time is better than nothing. I just hope some of those ABA guys are around to enjoy the spotlight when they finally get their just desserts.

threein73
02-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Awesome and WAAAAY overdue.. .I sure hope the Star, Pacers and Indiana give this the due hoopla this deserves.. Mel and Reggie are my all time favorites....!!!!

pacer4ever
02-25-2012, 01:24 AM
I say this as a Cubs fan, but I'm not even sure if Santo should be in the hall. But then his death seemed to help his cause. I don't want to get sidetracked here, but it was really an unfortunate situation (which I know you are well aware of, I read your posts about the Cubs). The only difference here is that there is no questioning in my mind that Slick should be in the hall. Get it done HOF.

I say as a cubs fan Santo should of been in years ago. He was the best 3rd baseman in baseball for a decade. He played the game the right way he had the numbers it was just bs. Not to mention what he has done in the booth fOr so many years and doing this while hiding he had diabetes. Not to mention all the charity work and what he stood for baseball hof is a joke. Wait till he dies then decide oh now he is a HOFer. Anyway that hof will be considered a fraud until they let Pete Rose in the HOF. But not letting Slick in but a joke like Knight in is a complete joke. Slick should of been first time he was on the ballot.

TheDavisBrothers
02-25-2012, 01:29 AM
I say as a cubs fan Santo should of been in years ago. He was the best 3rd baseman in baseball for a decade. He played the game the right way he had the numbers it was just bs. Not to mention what he has done in the booth fOr so many years and doing this while hiding he had diabetes. Not to mention all the charity work and what he stood for baseball hof is a joke. Wait till he dies then decide oh now he is a HOFer. Anyway that hof will be considered a fraud until they let Pete Rose in the HOF. But not letting Slick in but a joke like Knight in is a complete joke. Slick should of been first time he was on the ballot.

Cubs fan also, I'm with you 100%

BobbyMac
02-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Roger will never get in. He just didn't play long enough.

That's a shame as he was the "go to" guy on that team. One of the very best players I ever saw!

Naptown_Seth
02-25-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm so overjoyed with this. Even if Reggie doesn't make it this year it won't bother me. Just finally getting one of the greatest ABA players ever into the HOF is a win for Indy.

I won't quibble over the timing, at least not for the immediately future.

OlBlu
02-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm so overjoyed with this. Even if Reggie doesn't make it this year it won't bother me. Just finally getting one of the greatest ABA players ever into the HOF is a win for Indy.

I won't quibble over the timing, at least not for the immediately future.

Now this we can certainly agree on...... :cool:

Hoop
02-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Mel Daniels, that MFer could play.

(You have to read Reggie's Book "I Love Being The Enemy")