PDA

View Full Version : The Indianapolis Star is going to start charging for online...

OlBlu
02-24-2012, 10:21 AM
I suspect this will mean that the three Pacers Nazis will be bringing their act over here sooner or later. They have their own site but only four or five people use it. They will reek havoc here with lots of abusive posts and name calling. They do not tolerate people disagreeing with them. Good luck to us all. I know they will try to have me throw off of this forum, it what they are all about. I appreciate all of you who post here and I enjoy reading your thoughts about the Pacers even when I disagree with them...... I can take some good natured kidding but not what these fellows will throw out there. So you can recognize them, they are Thedarkhorseone, Reggierules31 and Mwiltu.....:cool:

KrunkMcGrunk
02-24-2012, 10:49 AM
...Who?

Unclebuck
02-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Do you mean charging for their online forums? Or charging just to read Indystar online?

I didn't realize they still had forums. I mean I figured they probably did, but don't recall seeing it on their website in years.

RWB
02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
If that happens then the more the merrier and they will be welcomed with open arms. I know our leadership (talking about Hicks and Able) have never had an us vs them relationship with the star forum folks. An infusion of new thoughts will just make PD better.

Frostwolf
02-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Do you mean charging for their online forums? Or charging just to read Indystar online?

I didn't realize they still had forums. I mean I figured they probably did, but don't recall seeing it on their website in years.

i imagine it'd be for reading the star online. i've never heard of an online forum for a newspaper, no less, not being free.

Brad8888
02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
We have moderators here, most posters here are adept at spotting trolls, and open discussion of 98% of topics is both respected and encouraged here. From what little I have read there since they got "plucked", TDHO seems pretty level-headed, and I'm not familiar with Reggierules31, and I am not sure I remember very much about Mwiltu, either.

If they choose to come, may they have open minds and a willingness to have civil discussions about all things Pacers / NBA.

Pacers13Colts12
02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
The Star better step up their coverage all across the board if they plan on charging people. During the week their paper is like 2 pages, filled with ads mainly, for each section. Why would anyone pay for that crap instead of going to like Wish TV, WTHR or FOX59's websites?

And if I pay, do I get no ads? That's my big gripe with their online is the excess of advertisements.

If they were gonna charge, they should have done this from the get go, not 10 years in.

vnzla81
02-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Man that sucks ... :cool:

Trader Joe
02-24-2012, 11:44 AM
No one will take OlBlu from us!

SoupIsGood
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Personally I welcome anyone who reeks havoc.

DaveP63
02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
What does havoc smell like?

Bball
02-24-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't think they plan to implement the charges until 2013. The world ends 2012 so we'll be able to read about that free of charge. Then it won't matter by the time they plan to start charging...

vapacersfan
02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Personally I welcome anyone who reeks havoc.

reeks?

Mackey_Rose
02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
If the Fourth Reich is as awesome as OlBlu, we're in for a real treat.

Sparhawk
02-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Goddammit. I use the Indy Star app on my iphone to keep abreast of news since I live in Georgia.

If they charge for online, I wonder if that crosses over to apps too?

The major paper here has an app, but it's the most worthless app ever. The AJC should be ashamed.

Justin Tyme
02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
TDHO at RATS was never a NAZI when I lurked there. I quit lurking at RATS a couple of years ago. I wasn't even sure it still existed until now. It never re-couped, few posters with TDHO being the major one, after the switch. He use to be the only poster posting in the game thread at times. B4 the Indy Star switched servers the IndyStar Pacers forum, RATS, was a very good forum. They got some mods who cleaned it up with the racists and discontents sent packing.

It use to be that those banned here at PD would come over to RATS and complain about the NAZIs Able, Hicks, etc looking for sympathy. It didn't take long with them spouting their tripe to figure why they got banned at PD. I've always found when a poster complains about a forum having NAZI mods it's those that complain that are most generally the problem.

I lurked at Realgm, RATs, and PD for years, and found during those years each had some issues. RATS little moderation, Realgm OVER moderation, and PD somewhere in the middle but swayed one way or the other at times. W/o a doubt PD is the PREMIER forum to discuss the Pacers, AND I want to thank Hicks, Able and Admin for making it so.

Hoop
02-24-2012, 01:22 PM
If the Fourth Reich is as awesome as OlBlu, we're in for a real treat.
:lol:

RWB
02-24-2012, 01:37 PM
TDHO at RATS was never a NAZI
Hopefully those guys and gals will keep their same names and come on over. I think folks forget that the majority of posters at PD were all originally from the Star forum. Just got crazy over there when many of us got banned for no reason and Hicks created a life boat for us.

Started posting there in 98 and never cussed once in all that time. Got banned because a Celtics troll popped in and a few of us did not take kindly to those who didn't want to discuss basketball and just stir it. Trolls won, kind of like the Star's Colt forum.

OlBlu
02-24-2012, 02:02 PM

They are going to charge for the Star online.... I don't think many will pay.....:cool:

Strummer
02-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Gannett is going to start charging for online access for all their newspaper content. I haven't seen anything about it on the Star pages but the Cincinnati paper (also a Gannett company) is talking about it.

Their editor says this:

You can read a limited number of articles for free before you are asked to subscribe. That doesn’t charge the infrequent reader but does ask regular readers to pay.

in

Cincinnati Enquirer (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120224/EDIT/302240070/Enquirer-editor-explains-new-subscription-model?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE)

90'sNBARocked
02-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I suspect this will mean that the three Pacers Nazis will be bringing their act over here sooner or later. They have their own site but only four or five people use it. They will reek havoc here with lots of abusive posts and name calling. They do not tolerate people disagreeing with them. Good luck to us all. I know they will try to have me throw off of this forum, it what they are all about. I appreciate all of you who post here and I enjoy reading your thoughts about the Pacers even when I disagree with them...... I can take some good natured kidding but not what these fellows will throw out there. So you can recognize them, they are Thedarkhorseone, Reggierules31 and Mwiltu.....:cool:

unbelivable. Watch that come back to bite them in the azz

I know Nap is not the biggest market but I soooooo wish there was an alternative to the Star

ilive4sports
02-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Gannett is going to start charging for online access for all their newspaper content. I haven't seen anything about it on the Star pages but the Cincinnati paper (also a Gannett company) is talking about it.

Their editor says this:

in

Cincinnati Enquirer (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120224/EDIT/302240070/Enquirer-editor-explains-new-subscription-model?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE)
Its unfortunate but necessary for the industry. Ads just arent enough. This move should have been made years ago though. Would have helped a lot.

HC
02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Its unfortunate but necessary for the industry. Ads just arent enough. This move should have been made years ago though. Would have helped a lot.

No matter how necessary you may think this is, it is going to hurt more in the long run than it is going to help.

Justin Tyme
02-24-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't care what the Indy Star does as I haven't taken their paper in years. Nor do I read it on line. They lost me when they changed their server format for their forums. Their new server was not user friendly. I contended at the time they did it they wanted to get rid of the forums. Easiest way of doing it w/o just shutting it down and upsetting subscribers was to make it difficult to use. When it got difficult to use and advertise in their DEALS section, I washed my hands of them. Couldn't care less if they folded up their tent and left town. Their cost to advertise in the classifieds is ridiculous. Craigslist is by far better, and it's FREE!

AesopRockOn
02-24-2012, 04:29 PM
No matter how necessary you may think this is, it is going to hurt more in the long run than it is going to help.

For a good deal of the industry, there is no long run.

Tom White
02-24-2012, 04:36 PM
No one will take OlBlu from us!

Oh, I don't know. What do you think they would be willing to give?

Tom White
02-24-2012, 04:44 PM

I disagree with this. If you are losing money, why continue? Many newspapers are not around at all now, including the Star's sister publication the Indianapolis News. Many major cities have lost publications over the last few years, in part because of printing costs but also because people could get their news online for free. In a way, this is simply a replacement for the days when if you wanted the news, you bought a newspaper. Worked pretty well then. It is just that today people don't want to wait for tomorrow's paper. They want their news NOW! The era of instant access has had its good and bad points.

Justin Tyme
02-24-2012, 04:59 PM
How many remember when Indy had 3 daily newspapers? Star was the morning paper, News was the evening (that's the one we took), and the Times. I don't remember whether it was a morning or evening paper. Maybe some one else does.

Unclebuck
02-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Is it a good idea? I don't know, but I'll probably pay unless it is a large amount. It will make me mad if it is a monthly fee though. I mean I pay I think $59 for a year of IBJ online and I read that a lot less than I read Indystar.com

Justin Tyme
02-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Early 1950's Airstream pulled by a Studebaker truck.

I lived in trailer in the late 40's that was a 1 bedroom, had no bathroom, the kitchen table was the front of the dish cabinet, and the couch could be turned into a bed. I can guarantee you it wasn't 40' long!! LOL! The good ole days.

OlBlu
02-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Early 1950's Airstream pulled by a Studebaker truck.

I lived in trailer in the late 40's that was a 1 bedroom, had no bathroom, the kitchen table was the front of the dish cabinet, and the couch could be turned into a bed. I can guarantee you it wasn't 40' long!! LOL! The good ole days.

Take it, that Airstream and Studebaker would be worth a fortune. I saw a refurbished 1949 Airsteam sell for $75,000 recently. I pulled an Airstream to Alaska many years ago. Those things are just about bulletproof.....:cool:

ilive4sports
02-24-2012, 05:47 PM

For a good deal of the industry, there is no long run.

AesopRockOn hit the nail on the head. Advertising is not enough. They will still be bringing in that ad revenue, but really, the money is in the subscriptions. I don't think traffic will be hit that hard that their ads become worthless (which lets be honest, they almost are now).

Online advertising is kind of a joke. Yeah, Google and Facebook do great with it, but guess what, most sites don't get millions of hits an hour. Its not sustainable for papers like the Star to just rely on advertising to cover their costs.

MiaDragon
02-24-2012, 05:48 PM

No really, no one will actually take him, I think were stuck with him.

Pacers13Colts12
02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
They dropped the ball from the very beginning. Newspapers didn't know how to adjust to the internet. Should have always been free to subscribers to the Star, then charged to everyone else. Only makes sense, why would you ever give away your product for absolutely free? The problem is, some newspapers charge, some don't.

I know in my case, the Mooresville Times does charge, I don't read that site, I go to the Star instead and get the news I need. People will continue to find a way around until all the newspapers either charge or are free.

At this point though, it has been free for so long people are going to be upset about it. I'll probably just go to WTHR, Wish, or Fox 59's site for the news I want. I wish I could just pay for Colts and Pacers coverage.

Tom White
02-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Take it, that Airstream and Studebaker would be worth a fortune. I saw a refurbished 1949 Airsteam sell for $75,000 recently. I pulled an Airstream to Alaska many years ago. Those things are just about bulletproof.....:cool:

We probably shouldn't ask just how you came to find that out. :laugh::D:eek:

BlueNGold
02-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I will need to have a good reason to pay for news online, particularly when most of it's biased including the Indy Star. Anymore, their news stories are thin and I rarely read anything that important in their paper version.

OlBlu
02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
We probably shouldn't ask just how you came to find that out. :laugh::D:eek:

Perhaps I should have said "indestructable"? :cool: