PDA

View Full Version : Interesting....LeBron was catchng vogels plays?

90'sNBARocked
02-23-2012, 09:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120217-18/weekend-dime-nba-first-half-awards

Whether or not Dwyane Wade has been healthy enough to join him in Miami's lineup, James has been a better-than-ever wrecking ball. You could see it the other night in Indiana when the Heat dismantled Indiana on the Pacers' floor, with James picking up on Frank Vogel's play calls and disrupting Indy's offense as spectacularly as he was flushing Wade's lobs at the other end.

:censored:

righteouscool
02-23-2012, 09:53 PM
They mentioned this during the broadcast. One of the reasons James is even more impressive to me.

CJ Jones
02-23-2012, 09:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120217-18/weekend-dime-nba-first-half-awards

Whether or not Dwyane Wade has been healthy enough to join him in Miami's lineup, James has been a better-than-ever wrecking ball. You could see it the other night in Indiana when the Heat dismantled Indiana on the Pacers' floor, with James picking up on Frank Vogel's play calls and disrupting Indy's offense as spectacularly as he was flushing Wade's lobs at the other end.

:censored:

LeBron's a basketball savant. I didn't realize how good he was until that game. He made us look inept.

BlueNGold
02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I know we've been playing cup cakes, but I got the sense that Vogel has made some adjustments. Not sure if he's masking plays or what.

daschysta
02-23-2012, 10:00 PM
James is easily the best player in the world. Ridiculous.

kielbeze
02-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Be honest if there isn't a guy recording coaches on a cellphone or camera like spygate so lequit can learn the playbook I'll kiss your a$$

JEM
02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Not very difficult to learn the Pacers plays..

kielbeze
02-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Maybe not the Pacers but I am speaking about all teams.

Ownagedood
02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Pacers run really simple plays.. I'm just suprised he took the time to memorize the PACERS plays.. he cares that much to beat us?

That's neat.

PR07
02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
We wouldn't have to run plays with the wizard known as Steve Nash.

Kid Minneapolis
02-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Pacers run really simple plays.. I'm just suprised he took the time to memorize the PACERS plays.. he cares that much to beat us?

That's neat.

Ya, really neat that he smoked our ***, lol... I get what you're saying, but ultimately he wins.

Pingu
02-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Shall we rename him "LeBrain"?

vnzla81
02-24-2012, 01:29 AM
DC should give him a call so he can explain them to him.

xBulletproof
02-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Sitting near the floor with a friend, I was pointing out what the plays were going to be based on Vogel. It's really easy actually. When he holds up all 5 fingers on one hand (5, the number used for the center), and a fist with the other, Hibbert is in the post, Paul George gets the ball on the wing, and DC sets up in the corner. Paul tries to get Hibbert the ball and if he can't, he gives it to DC who gets it to him in the post. With the other 2 guys spacing out across the floor from them.

Just watch for it on TV or if you're at the game next time. It's seriously easy.

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-24-2012, 04:44 AM
Yeah, I thought it was pretty much commonplace for teams in the NBA to know the other team's go-to plays. For example, we call 4-down a lot. New Jersey the other night, when they weren't just posting up or running ISO for D-Will ran a play where D Will points to both of his elbows and both bigs come up to the elbows on the floor as potential pick n rolls/pops, with shooters spaced on the wings in case the defense collapses on D Will.

In the playoffs especially, your first three or four go-to options, at least, are completely scouted for. You just have to watch tape. And the fact that we run such simple sets made it that much easier for BronBron.

Johanvil
02-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Hibbert is in the post, Paul George gets the ball on the wing, and DC sets up in the corner. Paul tries to get Hibbert the ball and if he can't, he gives it to DC who gets it to him in the post. With the other 2 guys spacing out across the floor from them.

Then,when Roy posts up and gets the ball,you'll see Danny or DC(usually) cutting to the basket.If Roy has a pass to one of those guys,he'll use it but most of the time they do it just for the shake of it in order to clear the lane and have Roy play one on one with his back to the basket.

Since86
02-24-2012, 09:24 AM
This happens at every level in basketball from Jr High on up. Not really sure why you guys think it's a big deal.

bphil
02-24-2012, 09:29 AM
OK, I played D1, and we almost ALWAYS knew what sets the other team was running. If the other team is good, however, it usually doesn't help much because most sets allow for multiple options related to how the defense reacts.

If the defender tries to jump the passing lane when you cut out to get the ball, you back cut. If he cheats on a screen, roll to the basket. It's not rocket science.

Think about Princeton v. Georgetown back in the day. Princeton pretty much ran the same damn play every time down the floor, and Georgetown knew exactly what was coming, but they still couldn't stop it because Princeton was maddeningly proficient at reacting to what the defense did.

What makes LeBron so freakishly good is not that he knows what plays are being called, but that he's so absurdly fast and athletic that he can cheat into the passing lane on an out cut and still get back into the lane to defend a back cut. He covers so much floor that he can take risks and not get punished for it. I've never seen anything like it to be honest...

Unclebuck
02-24-2012, 09:56 AM
I don't think that is a big deal. The plays are never a mystery especially in the playoffs the defense knows the plays as well as the offense.

pacergod2
02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
My nick name for that dude in Miami is LeDouche.

Also, most teams run through all of their plays by halftime, and its not hard to pick up a play after seeing it being run once, twice at most.