PDA

View Full Version : #NBAMIP rankings: Who is on top?

90'sNBARocked
02-23-2012, 01:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/NBAMIP-120222/top

4. PAUL GEORGE, PACERS

2011-12 STATS
GP

MPG

PPG

RPG

APG

BPG

SPG

PER

EWA*

Hardcourt Mayhem@hardcourtmayhem

@NBAonESPN He's dunking, hitting three's, and is making big plays time after time. He is definitely gonna be the Pacers future soon. #NBAMIP

Photo credit: Mark L. Baer/US Presswire

immortality
02-23-2012, 01:37 PM
If Jeremey Lin doesn't win, I will be surprised.

HickeyS2000
02-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Which after just a handful of games, is terrible. I'm not saying he shouldn't win if he continues this pace during the second half. But at this point, my vote goes to Ryan Anderson or Kyle Lowry.

Lance George
02-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Al Harrington at #7 is surprising.

Nikola Pekovic at #6. Remember when there were talks that the Wolves may amnesty him? Yeah, those days are long gone.

HickeyS2000
02-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Al Harrington at #7 is surprising.

I saw this and immediately wondered who the author was so I could discredit all other articles. Saw it was Maurice Brooks. Don't think I've ever read any Maurice Brooks articles to discredit.

yoadknux
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm surprised Harden isn't on that list.
He got a bigger role, improved his FG%, 3PT%, FTA/FT%, RPG, APG, PPG, and he became the 3rd best player on a team that is tied for the best record in the league. (MIP doesn't seem to reward winning though, so maybe I shouldn't mention it)

On Anderson, Lowry and Gortat I agree. On George not really. He improved, but didn't make "MIP" improvement.

Anyway, I hope Lin takes it, because it will make the press shut up about the whole "Linsanity". The MIP reward is cursed, whoever gets either starts declining or gets injured.
Over the past decade:
Tracy McGrady (Tragic)
Jermaine O'Neal (No further info needed)
Gilbert Arenas (As he put it: "Agent zero had to be killed")
Zach Randolph (Sucked, then became good again, then got injured)
Bobby Simmons (Who?)
Boris Diaw (top player indeed)
Monta Ellis (Had some injuries but seems to be the only player who didn't have a serious drawback after receiving it)
Hedo Türkoğlu (Nobody wants him, says everything)
Danny Granger (poor fellow, could have been a superstar)
Aaron Brooks (among the best towel boys in Phoenix)
Kevin Love (Will he break the curse?)

pacergod2
02-23-2012, 03:39 PM
I could see Hibbert in that mix.

_The_Future_
02-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Ryan Anderson IMO

Sookie
02-23-2012, 04:05 PM

I'd say so long as he keeps it up, it's a pretty obvious pick.

Derek2k3
02-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Ryan Anderson IMO

Yep.

And Hibbert could definitely slip in there. Say he goes on a tear after the ASG, averages 18-20ppg, 10-12 rpg. Pacers could snag a 3 or 4 seed, get more coverage, who knows. Wouldn't rule him out.

But I really think Ryan Anderson has been so dramatically improved it'll be tough to top.

BringJackBack
02-23-2012, 07:28 PM
I hate to see second year or third year players in the race for MIP... That being said, it doesn't hurt so bad to see our own guys on the list :laugh:

MillerTime
02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
no mention of Hibbert????

ballism
02-23-2012, 07:32 PM
I hate to see second year or third year players in the race for MIP... That being said, it doesn't hurt so bad to see our own guys on the list :laugh:

My thoughts exactly. I'd have to give it to Pekovic if this can go to second year players. I think Lin or Ryan Anderson benefit greatly from the system. While Pekovic seems like a below optimal fit with Love on the team. So he gets extra points for succeeding in that situation.

But I'd rather it go to players who've been around for a while and made a jump. Kyle Lowry would be my choice.

Hoop
02-24-2012, 01:41 PM

My thoughts exactly. I'd have to give it to Pekovic if this can go to second year players. I think Lin or Ryan Anderson benefit greatly from the system. While Pekovic seems like a below optimal fit with Love on the team. So he gets extra points for succeeding in that situation.

But I'd rather it go to players who've been around for a while and made a jump. Kyle Lowry would be my choice.

I agree with you guys, 2nd year players shouldn't be rewarded for natural progression. Young players are suppose to improve, the award should go to more surprising players.

Isaac
02-24-2012, 01:46 PM
I saw this and immediately wondered who the author was so I could discredit all other articles. Saw it was Maurice Brooks. Don't think I've ever read any Maurice Brooks articles to discredit.

Al Harrington has had a very good year, in fact he was a pretty big reason the Nuggets got off to such a hot start. He's not the MIP, but he is one of the top 10 most improved.