PDA

View Full Version : Pacers/Bobcats postgame thread

vnzla81
02-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Yep the Bobcats are horrible, nice to see that Hill is back.

15th parallel
02-22-2012, 10:04 PM
The bench carried this team with the starters struggling.

Tyler's offense has come alive. Hope this game gives him the confidence he needs to be that scorer we expect him to be off the bench.

AJ's been playing pretty good the last couple of games. Hope he continues to do well off the bench too.

Nice way to win this game, with balanced playing time after a back-to-back game. Have to commend Vogel and the coaching staff too for sticking with the 2nd unit when they are really clicking.

Sookie
02-22-2012, 10:04 PM
I was really glad that Tyler had a breakout game in North Carolina. I'm sure there were plenty of people there to see him.

CableKC
02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Don't care.....AJ did good, Hill is back, Hansbrough found his "groove" and the starting lineup had a good chance to rest.

Glad that we are riding a 4 game winning streak into the ASB. :dance:

Justin Tyme
02-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Bench produced!!

Hansbro had a productive game. I'm glad to see it.

AJ had a nice game off the bench.

Lou had a really nice game off the bench. 8/12

Dahntay good game too.

TheDon
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
The Charlotte Bobcats sucked, but the Carolina Cougars put up a little bit more of a fight.

Eleazar
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Go away for dinner, then come back and only 4 posts.

vnzla81
02-22-2012, 10:15 PM
And I don't think we win this game without AJ Price either :stirthepo

BringJackBack
02-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Great way to enter the All Star break!

Dr. Hibbert
02-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Man, the Bobcats suck. There is no way to emphasize that enough. D.J. White almost looks like their best player, and I'm an IU alum, but D.J. White is no NBA starter. I like the potential of the Biyombo kid though.

For the Pacers, great to see the bench get active. AJ Price really deserves a lot of credit for what he's done lately. Quite a few folks were ready to run him off the team a month ago. I understand their frustrations, but just saying he deserves props when he's playing well.

Lack of leadership on this team concerns me, though, especially if they are to be a playoff team. Vogel's still too green of a coach to be any kind of great leader, which is entirely to be expected. It's just the reality of having a young coach. Granger isn't going to be a leader for this team; his effort just isn't consistent, his body language and communication on the court don't speak to being a leader. Hibbert probably wants to be a leader the most, but is way too mentally-inconsistent (or just physically-inconsistent, really) to be this team's rock. West, Collison, George, etc. are all too new, too young, too likely to defer.

I think this team will make great strides this year, especially from last, and those should be appreciated and respected. But I think their lack of leadership will be their Achilles' heal, and I think they need to be thinking really hard, long-term, about who's going to step up and put the team on his back on any given night, set the A+ example for everyone else.

Pacer Fan
02-22-2012, 10:20 PM
And I don't think we win this game without AJ Price either :stirthepo

That comment is to ridiculous to :stirthepo

rel
02-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Watched at work, good thing it wasn't too close or i wouldn't have gotten anything done.
4 game winning streak into break and half a game away from being 3rd place...I'm a happy camper!

presto123
02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
As good as the win is if the Pacers don't start playing better they are going to get a big dose of reality after the break. This current streak was against lousy teams for the most part. I'm still not convinced we are back to where we were when we were beating some good teams. That would really suck to get blown out by Miami three straight times.

Day-V
02-22-2012, 10:23 PM
We won, correct?

Then it's good times. :)

PacerPenguins
02-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Philly lost AGAIN! WOOHOHOO!!

presto123
02-22-2012, 10:28 PM
My Canadian legends Rush would be proud. Pacers record is 21-12.:rimshot:

graphic-er
02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Tyler had a good game, but one good game does not make up for months of terrible play. I hope he keeps it up though.

The one player I was really excited about was Lou. 12 Rebs and 8 points 2 monster blocks in 22m. He has been playing really well lately, 3/10 from the field is striking considering 80% of his shots were dunks and layups. He was on the verge of having a career night if he converts those bunnies. But on a night where everyone on the team struggled to rebound the ball, Lou grabbing 12 was really big.

I think we might see him starting to steal minutes from Hansbrough in the near future.

Trader Joe
02-22-2012, 10:33 PM
I guess Lance is the odd man out in the backcourt rotation.

Bball
02-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.... the Pacers have assumed control....

Sookie
02-22-2012, 10:38 PM

It would be just stupid to take AJ out of the rotation with the way he's playing.

I do think we can probably find 5-6 minutes (what he was getting pretty much anyway) of development time, like we did this game. He's still a project though, and we're about to hit a really tough part of the schedule, so the smart thing to do is play our best rotation.

Besides that, Hill and AJ seem to have pretty good chemistry, and have had it almost instantly.

MTM
02-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Watching this embarrassing assembly that is the Charlotte Bobcats - I thought a lot about that city, the fans, and Michael Jordan.

First thought - this city had to start out as a terrible expansion team. And then they got better.. and isn't it amazing this city had the players that they had in the 90s to root for - Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, Glen Rice.

Then they lose their franchise.

Then they get another franchise - the Bobcats. And they got Jordan to help come in a run it... or RUIN it.

Final thought - is Michael Jordan reaching Isiah Thomas level of incompetency in the role of team owning/running/coaching? Two of the greatest players ever - both depressingly terrible in the role of assembling players.

Jordan - Kwame Brown, the Bobcats...
Isiah - the CBA, the Knicks...

Which is worse?

Sparhawk
02-22-2012, 10:42 PM

Just more incentive for Lance to step up his game. But it's easy for AJ, since he has the ball in his hands. He's more of a scorer, where Lance seems to be more of a facilitator.

ilive4sports
02-22-2012, 10:46 PM
We are 21-12 at the all star break. We are on pace to win 42 games this season. Many predicted us to win 42 games... in an 82 game season.

Can I really complain? Nope. We have the 4th best record in the conference going into the all star break, have PG in the dunk contest and Roy Hibbert is an all star. All :) here

TMJ31
02-22-2012, 10:47 PM
4 game winning streak into the All Star Break!

I'll certainly take that!

I think the team realizes that their level of play needs to be raised to compete with the tougher opponents back from the break, so let's not bust their balls for winning against inferior teams.

A win streak is a win streak. Just what the doctor ordered. Especially coming off a streak of the 'other' variety!

Go Pacers!

HC
02-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Watching this embarrassing assembly that is the Charlotte Bobcats - I thought a lot about that city, the fans, and Michael Jordan.

First thought - this city had to start out as a terrible expansion team. And then they got better.. and isn't it amazing this city had the players that they had in the 90s to root for - Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, Glen Rice.

Then they lose their franchise.

Then they get another franchise - the Bobcats. And they got Jordan to help come in a run it... or RUIN it.

Final thought - is Michael Jordan reaching Isiah Thomas level of incompetency in the role of team owning/running/coaching? Two of the greatest players ever - both depressingly terrible in the role of assembling players.

Jordan - Kwame Brown, the Bobcats...
Isiah - the CBA, the Knicks...

Which is worse?

To be fair Kwame has turned out to be a more than serviceable player. It's not like he is Ryan Leaf.

HC
02-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Furthermore, the Bobcats have some decent young talent. One of their best players is injured also, I would give it a few more years before throwing Jordan to the wolves. It's not like Bird walked in here and done this overnight. Not too long ago the Pacers were in salary cap hell.

Nuntius
02-22-2012, 10:57 PM
To be fair Kwame has turned out to be a more than serviceable player. It's not like he is Ryan Leaf.

He was just a horrible bust since he was drafted 1st. Decent defender, though.

HC
02-22-2012, 11:02 PM

Absolutely, can't argue with that at all. I think now recently though he has been showing what Jordan seen all them years ago.

xIndyFan
02-22-2012, 11:04 PM

great body, terrific size, decent BBIQ, but the absolute worst hands in the history of the NBA. kind of like the exact opposite of chris webber hands wise.:laugh:

TheDon
02-22-2012, 11:04 PM
It's going to be interesting to see where everyone is at in the league after March, that March schedule is absolutely brutal.

Also, does anyone have the Kobe Jones follow-up slam? that scream he let out slamming it down was epic and cracked me up.

spazzxb
02-22-2012, 11:05 PM

He still got his few minutes in the first half, just like the majority of games. The bobcats have an extremely small front-court. I was annoyed to see DC and GH together until I realized they were playing against 2 point guards.

After the Allstar break we play real teams, thats when the rotation will sort itself out. Just remember if your trying to give AJ, Lances minutes via GH that we are only talking about 5 minutes unless the games not close. I don't expect Lance to lose his minutes. Do you really think GH is done playing PG?

BrownBearCoffee
02-22-2012, 11:10 PM
He still got his few minutes in the first half, just like the majority of games. The bobcats have an extremely small front-court. I was annoyed to see DC and GH together until I realized they were playing against 2 point guards.

After the Allstar break we play real teams, thats when the rotation will sort itself out. Just remember if your trying to give AJ, Lances minutes via GH that we are only talking about 5 minutes unless the games not close. I don't expect Lance to lose his minutes. Do you really think GH is done playing PG?

I think we may still see some spot minutes with GH at point, but I think he will more than likely be playing the 2 from now on, unless Vogel is completely crazy. AJ has been solid enough to start lately. I think AJ and Hill off the bench with Tyler is SMART.

pizza guy
02-22-2012, 11:14 PM

Yeah, as bad as the Bobcats are now, Zeke's post-playing career has been unbelievably bad. MJ's hasn't been good, but Thomas is on another level.

Good win for the Pacers heading into the break. AJ has earned playing time, without question. Nice to see Hansbrough play well (finally). Let's hope Vogel has these guy ready to rock for the home stretch and we can roll into the playoffs with some good momentum and confidence.

Also, I'm really excited for Paul George in the Dunk Contest. Can't wait for that.

immortality
02-22-2012, 11:14 PM
I think we may still see some spot minutes with GH at point, but I think he will more than likely be playing the 2 from now on, unless Vogel is completely crazy. AJ has been solid enough to start lately. I think AJ and Hill off the bench with Tyler is SMART.

Yea until Lance develops more of an offensive game, having GH and AJ in the 2nd unit lineup along with Tyler makes it easier offensively.

spazzxb
02-22-2012, 11:16 PM

How many minutes do you anticipate GH playing in a game?

Day-V
02-22-2012, 11:17 PM

It's not like he's even Alex Smith, either....

Heisenberg
02-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Zeke bankrupted an entire league. MJ's not topping that.

HC
02-22-2012, 11:21 PM
It's not like he's even Alex Smith, either....

I'm not sure about that guy yet. If I was SF I wouldn't be quite so committed I don't think. Of course that is probably just lip service.

Justin Tyme
02-22-2012, 11:22 PM
I think we might see him starting to steal minutes from Hansbrough in the near future.

What? He's already got McBob's minutes, now some of Hans too.

HC
02-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Zeke bankrupted an entire league. MJ's not topping that.

Unapologetically even....he has no shame.

Sookie
02-22-2012, 11:24 PM

Around 24 minutes (what he's averaging..)

DC (33)/ AJ (15)
PG (24)/ Hill (24)
Granger (33)/ Dahntay (10) PG (5)
West (30)/Tyler (18)
Roy (30)/West (10)/ Lou (8) (or Foster 18)

(obviously a little more flexible depending on whose playing well)

If we want to, we can take 3 minutes from two of PG/Hill/Granger/Darren/AJ/Dahntay to give Lance a few minutes, like we did tonight in the first.

It's a compact schedule, so long as everyone is playing well, it doesn't hurt to play more players.

BrownBearCoffee
02-22-2012, 11:25 PM

I think we will see anywhere between 25-30 minutes a night from Hill once he is 100%.

Justin Tyme
02-22-2012, 11:25 PM

Substitue Adam Morrison for Kwame Brown.

Nuntius
02-22-2012, 11:34 PM
great body, terrific size, decent BBIQ, but the absolute worst hands in the history of the NBA. kind of like the exact opposite of chris webber hands wise.:laugh:

Oh yeah. You cannot completely blame him. His hands were always small.

imawhat
02-22-2012, 11:45 PM

Or Sean May, Brendan Wright, etc.

Man, George Hill is a difference maker. Our defense looked much better tonight. It's amazing that one player made a difference like that, especially a wing player.

AJ played his best game of the season.

We did not play well at all, but got on a little roll in the third. I'm glad we're getting a break; a few guys need it.

Where do you think Granger went for his break? Yes I said went because he left two games ago.

TheDon
02-22-2012, 11:59 PM
I really am interested to see what types of moves we can pull off at the trade deadline either as a facilitator or just something simple like absorbing kamans contract if that is in fact still an option. I would like to be able to pick up an extra pick in this years draft somehow.

Deadshot
02-23-2012, 12:11 AM

I had a similar conversation on a Bobcats board once and was reminded that Morrison was technically a Bickerstaff pick. Either way, the city's still pretty bitter about the way the whole Hornets situation went down.

ECKrueger
02-23-2012, 12:18 AM
I like this pic, I think trekkies will too.

https://twitter.com/#!/StephensonLance/status/172539509852999680

CableKC
02-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Around 24 minutes (what he's averaging..)

DC (33)/ AJ (15)
PG (24)/ Hill (24)
West (30)/Tyler (18)

(obviously a little more flexible depending on whose playing well)

If we want to, we can take 3 minutes from two of PG/Hill/Granger/Darren/AJ/Dahntay to give Lance a few minutes, like we did tonight in the first.

It's a compact schedule, so long as everyone is playing well, it doesn't hurt to play more players.
You have West playing 40 mpg?

I'm guessing that it would be closer to a Frontcourt rotation of:

PF - West 26 mpg / Hansbrough 22 mpg
C - Hibbert 30 mpg / West 4mpg / Amundson or Foster 14 mpg

Sookie
02-23-2012, 12:45 AM
You have West playing 40 mpg?

I'm guessing that it would be closer to a Frontcourt rotation of:

PF - West 26 mpg / Hansbrough 22 mpg
C - Hibbert 30 mpg / West 4mpg / Amundson or Foster 14 mpg

haha, wow, I didn't even notice I did that. I was paying more attention to the perimeter players because that was the question. :laugh:

Kemo
02-23-2012, 12:52 AM
I like this pic, I think trekkies will too.

https://twitter.com/#!/StephensonLance/status/172539509852999680

http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/7cf3753e5dd711e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

haha "Live Long and Prosper" ...

ECKrueger
02-23-2012, 01:03 AM
thanks, I was too lazy to embed it ha.

CJ Jones
02-23-2012, 01:35 AM
We had more blocks then turnovers (7-6). Your not gonna lose many games doing that.

Price looked good in the PnR tonight. I'd forgotten how much better he is than Darren at it.

How many minutes do you anticipate GH playing
in a game?

I don't see how AJ's going to get minutes. Paul needs to be on the court as much as possible... 30+ minutes at least. IMO he should be playing the most minutes on the team. If we want to get Hill 24 minutes he'll have to play at least 10 of those at pg. That leaves the few minutes left per game Lance has received all year. They could give AJ those I guess, but I doubt they will.

It's an unfortunate situation because he's playing so well. Neither he nor Lance deserve to be benched, but since AJ got the job because of Hill's injury I assume he'll be the odd man out.

righteouscool
02-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Or you could just cut Jones minutes and give some of the back up 3 minutes to George.

xIndyFan
02-23-2012, 01:50 AM
Oh yeah. You cannot completely blame him. His hands were always small.

that's right, i'd forgotten. :laugh:

all i remember is him dropping every pass ever thrown to him and most of the ones handed to him.

CJ Jones
02-23-2012, 01:54 AM
True... but do we really want an undersized player playing half the game at sg? I'm not a fan of an undersized back court for 24 minutes.

xIndyFan
02-23-2012, 01:57 AM
. . .
DC (33)/ AJ (15)
PG (24)/ Hill (24)
West (30)/Tyler (18)

Or you could just cut Jones minutes and give some of the back up 3 minutes to George.

i will be glad when paul learns how to defend the 3. meaning stops getting pushed around. danny is playing too many minutes as it is.

Sherlock
02-23-2012, 02:33 AM
I didn't watch the game yet, but what happened to Danny?
2-11?
Bad performance two games in a raw.

xIndyFan
02-23-2012, 02:43 AM
I didn't watch the game yet, but what happened to Danny?
2-11?
Bad performance two games in a raw.

i think he was shooting with his eyes closed. nothing was even close.

spazzxb
02-23-2012, 03:11 AM

Vogel seems to really like DJ(more than I would prefer).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

spazzxb
02-23-2012, 03:21 AM
True... but do we really want an undersized player playing half the game at sg? I'm not a fan of an undersized back court for 24 minutes.

It's fine, if we can play the bobcats every night. I agree with you, but have been trying not to fight the price fan club.

You can't just pencil George Hill in at the 2, without considering the matchups.

Eleazar
02-23-2012, 03:45 AM

Usually I agree, but also usually they aren't very good defenders either. That is and always will be the biggest problem with undersized SGs. That is what is different about Hill than your typical undersized SG, he is still a good defender even if he is giving up a few extra inches. It is the same reason Ben Wallace could play Center despite being 6'2.

I know I know, Wallace was actually 6'7, but that still puts him shorter than our starting SG.

spazzxb
02-23-2012, 04:12 AM
Usually I agree, but also usually they aren't very good defenders either. That is and always will be the biggest problem with undersized SGs. That is what is different about Hill than your typical undersized SG, he is still a good defender even if he is giving up a few extra inches. It is the same reason Ben Wallace could play Center despite being 6'2.

I know I know, Wallace was actually 6'7, but that still puts him shorter than our starting SG.

Watching Marrow and DWill post GH gave me cause for concern. I know they say the Spurs used him against Kobe. This is part of the reason I said once we play real teams the roster will sort its self out. Making judgments based on a game against the worst team(who happen to have a tiny back court) in the league is not smart.(not saying you did)

I honestly am not sure exactly what we have with George Hill. When match ups make it an issue either Lance or DJ will probably be playing at the 2. I still think its a possibility that GH starts at point guard during some point this season.(not predicting it)

Doddage
02-23-2012, 05:34 AM
As he should since Dahntay competes on a nightly basis. Sends a good message to the players that if you're aggressive and play like you give a damn, you'll be rewarded with playing time.

Frostwolf
02-23-2012, 06:32 AM
i have had zero problems with dahntay's overall play this year. he's absolutely fine for 15 minutes a game.

Sherlock
02-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Concerning Lance.

I agreed with Bird that Lance has the best court vision.
He is also the best one on one driver and deliver guy because of his superb first step.
However Lance is not necessarily the best passer because he take too much risks.

With his good one on one defense now, and his self-control on the court,
I donīt think he is a liability on the court anymore.

Hope he can still get some minutes after GHill returns after the break.

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2012, 08:06 AM
i have had zero problems with dahntay's overall play this year. he's absolutely fine for 15 minutes a game.

He's been one of the bigger bright spots on an individual basis this season.

Can't fault Vogel one bit for wanting to get him out there.

Day-V
02-23-2012, 09:29 AM
http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/7cf3753e5dd711e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

haha "Live Long and Prosper" ...

Paul did it too on his windmill.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/photos/george_dunk_6760.jpg

LA_Confidential
02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Paul did it too on his windmill.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/photos/george_dunk_6760.jpg

V for "Vogel Boyz!". Represent! :cool:

daschysta
02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Our team being geeks is awesome! It's one of my favorite things about Danny.

Hicks
02-23-2012, 11:16 AM
It's not Vulcan with the thumb tucked in like that.

BillS
02-23-2012, 11:25 AM
It's not Vulcan with the thumb tucked in like that.

It's from a subculture that honors non-opposeable thumbs as the height of non-manipulative logic.

RWB
02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
I miss JAX gang signs. :-p

TheDon
02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
is there any clip of dahntay jones dunk from yesterday?

CableKC
02-23-2012, 12:20 PM

IMHO...Inferno is the type of Player that Bird understands each team must have and brought in to do precisely what he is doing now, being a defensive minded roleplayer playing 10-15 mpg providing veteran leadership in the 2nd unit.

I don't see the Pacers moving him unless it was for Luxury Tax reason or a trade required it.

CableKC
02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
is there any clip of dahntay jones dunk from yesterday?
It's at the 1:57 mark in the NBA Game Recap

http://www.nba.com/video/games/bobcats/2012/02/22/0021100488_ind_cha_recap.nba/index.html

Rogco
02-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Great to see Hill back on the court. I think he is massively underappreciated. I don't think he's the best player on our team at any one thing, but he is the only player on our team who can do everything, and we really miss that presence.

Rogco
02-23-2012, 12:43 PM

I agree. Dahntay might be the best player on this team at creating his own shot (unfortunately not the best at hitting said shot...)

Frostwolf, I used to talk to Dennis Bergkamp on the phone all the time. Didn't even realize it was him till my boss asked me if I knew who her friend "Dennis" was... He was really nice and polite.

spazzxb
02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
http://www.popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?date=20120215&game=INDCLE

I didn't like him getting the most minutes on the team against Cleveland. 36 minutes 3 points. That's an example of liking him more than I would prefer.

TheDon
02-23-2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?date=20120215&game=INDCLE

I didn't like him getting the most minutes on the team against Cleveland. 36 minutes 3 points. That's an example of liking him more than I would prefer.

Didn't he get the extra minutes though cause he had to take Granger's spot because of him rolling his ankle in the game before? I'm not arguing that the production was bad for that game but everyone really sucked that night.

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Didn't he get the extra minutes though cause he had to take Granger's spot because of him rolling his ankle in the game before? I'm not arguing that the production was bad for that game but everyone really sucked that night.

Without Granger or Hill, we didn't really have any other options on the wing.

spazzxb
02-23-2012, 05:47 PM

I think so. Just wanted to clarify that I was not referring to him being a role player in my comment.

spazzxb
02-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Without Granger or Hill, we didn't really have any other options on the wing.

None that are worth fighting about.

My real point was that I don't think DJ's minutes are up for grabs. The reason being; vogel likes him. I also wanted to distance my preferences from the reasoning.

McKeyFan
02-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Doesn't George Hill's wingspan somewhat counter any height problems in guarding 2's?

CJ Jones
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Doesn't George Hill's wingspan somewhat counter any height problems in guarding 2's?

Yeah he can defend most of them, but there's certain teams that will give us problems if we have Hill guarding sgs for half the game. Hill is a good defender, but if you put him in the post he can be taken advantage of.