PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't we worn Yellow?

R3B0W
02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't know if this has been brought up, but while talking Pacers basketball with a friend, I realized that we have yet to wear our yellow alternate uniforms this season. The last time I remember us wearing them were in the playoffs last year. I'm not sure if the retro jerseys have taken over the allowance for an alternate jersey to be worn in a season, or what the rule (if there is one) allows.

However, while trying to research the reasoning behind this, I learned some interesting facts about alternate jerseys...

1.) In the NBA, the only teams that have a third jersey as a "home jersey" are the Los Angeles Lakers, New Orleans Hornets and the Indiana Pacers.

2.) Per NBA rules, teams will only introduce a new third jersey at least two years after unveiling a new logo and uniform set.

(Just a little FYI)...:)

So if anyone knows or has an idea, hopefully we can figure out what the deal is with our yellow alternates this season!

cdash
02-22-2012, 07:17 PM
There is a legitimate reason for this, but I forgot what it was. All I know is that I am not upset about it. I liked our gold alternates when they were pinstriped. I don't like the current iteration of the banana suit. Sorry, I'm completely unhelpful to this discussion :laugh:

yoadknux
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
We will probably wear them eventually. Last year I don't think we wore them before the all-star break.
I just wonder why we're using the retro jersey so often, and why do we use the AWAY retro jerseys at HOME? :confused:

By the way...
ITS NOT YELLOW!! ITS GOLD!
:D

Heisenberg
02-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Hopefully because whomever is in charge of such things realized they're ugly as all hell.

J7F
02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Maybe we've decided to reserve them for the Playoffs after we played so well in them against the Bulls last year?

If so... I like it...

Wear the gold to win the gold!

R3B0W
02-22-2012, 07:31 PM
We will probably wear them eventually. Last year I don't think we wore them before the all-star break.
I just wonder why we're using the retro jersey so often, and why do we use the AWAY retro jerseys at HOME? :confused:

By the way...

Hahaha...being a Purdue graduate, my perception of "Gold" is SOOOO messed up...whether it was "Old Gold" or "Vegas Gold"...and now we're talking about "Pacers Gold"...majoring in Art & Design didn't help either. :confused:

ilive4sports
02-22-2012, 07:48 PM
is it cause we are wearing the throwbacks so much?

pwee31
02-22-2012, 07:54 PM
I like the gold alternate jerseys. Mad they haven't wore them at all

gummy
02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Mr. Boyle often calls the Pacers the "blue and yellow menace" on Facebook and I am often tempted to say "Not yellow, GOLD!"

Glad I'm not the only one. ;)

cdash
02-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Nah dude, that **** is yellow.

cdash
02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Hahaha...being a Purdue graduate, my perception of "Gold" is SOOOO messed up...whether it was "Old Gold" or "Vegas Gold"...and now we're talking about "Pacers Gold"...majoring in Art & Design didn't help either. :confused:

I'm with you. I think Purdue's is gold. If those banana suits are "gold" then so are these smilies. ;):):-p:confused::buddies::box:

Anthem
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Hopefully because whomever is in charge of such things realized they're ugly as all hell.
And cursed...

duke dynamite
02-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Teams must wear an alternate uniform at least 7 times during a season. Odd number, but I bet since we have the throwbacks and not to mention they are wildly popular, we may shelf the Goldie's for a year. I still love them though.

Kid Minneapolis
02-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Ya, it seemed like we had a bad habit of playing horribly when we wore gold. Stay away from the gold.

CableKC
02-23-2012, 01:40 AM
There is a legitimate reason for this, but I forgot what it was. All I know is that I am not upset about it. I liked our gold alternates when they were pinstriped. I don't like the current iteration of the banana suit. Sorry, I'm completely unhelpful to this discussion :laugh:
I'm with cdash. I only like the yellow pinstripes. The other "more recent" yellow jerseys look terrible.

Johanvil
02-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Judging by the reaction here,I feel embarrassed to say that I'm probably the only guy that absolutely loves them...

yoadknux
02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Gold jerseys aren't cursed.
We won game 4 with them. ;)

bphil
02-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Judging by the reaction here,I feel embarrassed to say that I'm probably the only guy that absolutely loves them...

Nope, I love the golds too.

Day-V
02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I love the Gold jerseys.....at HOME. As a kid, I always wondered why we didn't wear gold jerseys at home like the Lakers. After all, my mindset was "We're the Blue and GOLD, not the Blue and White." I also love the look of the gold jerseys in terms of simply wearing one as a fan.

Whenever I see us wearing them on the road, however, I always get that sinking feeling in my mind that "Man, we usually lose in these. Why are we wearing them tonight?!"

EDIT: BTW, THIS is yellow.....

http://www.free-mobile-wallpapers.com/wallpapers/iphone-wallpaper-yellow.jpg

This is Gold.......
http://www.neiu.edu/~njmoradi/CS300/images/gold.jpg

Steagles
02-23-2012, 10:39 AM
I hate the gold jerseys. I think they are ugly- and here's why: The sides of them need to be white, and the names need to be outlined. Indiana, the numbers, and the player names need to be white with blue outline, not vise versa. Blue on yellow looks like puke. White on yellow looks much better.

Slick Pinkham
02-23-2012, 11:16 AM
THIS is yellow.....

http://www.free-mobile-wallpapers.com/wallpapers/iphone-wallpaper-yellow.jpg

http://www.jerseysalbum.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Reggie_Miller_Pacers_jersey.jpg

This is Gold.......
http://www.neiu.edu/~njmoradi/CS300/images/gold.jpg

inserting the Pacers gold to see where it fits...

looks darker than your gold, actually

more like this:
http://www.opaleen.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/C/u/Curve-Rectangle-Gold-Ring_1.jpg

Mac_Daddy
02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I like the gold (I've been looking for a Hibbert), but it peeves me that the white home jerseys say Pacers on the front. I miss when both the home and aways had "Indiana" on them. I don't know why it bothers me, but its the reason I haven't purchased a jersey since the pinstripes.

Tom White
02-23-2012, 01:38 PM
By the way...

I always called them yellow in part because I've always hated them. Don't like those "yella" uniforms at all.

Rogco
02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm just loving the throwback jerseys. might be the best in the NBA.

Kid Minneapolis
02-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Ya we're rockin' the throwbacks this year, I like them so much better. Paul George in particular rocks it.

TMJ31
02-23-2012, 05:11 PM
To echo the sentiment: I am sure it's due to the throwbacks.

I for one am really glad, because I think the Yellow/Gold uni's are absolutely hideous.

Not only that, but basically every time I turn on NBA League Pass and see us wearing them during warmups, I instantly get this gut feeling that we're going to lose.

Dumb and superstitious? Yep.
Usually accurate? Yep!

RobfromPacers
02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
The team will wear the gold uniforms this season. I don't remember the dates off-hand, but they're definitely wearing them.

TMJ31
02-25-2012, 03:19 PM
The team will wear the gold uniforms this season. I don't remember the dates off-hand, but they're definitely wearing them.

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com

spazzxb
02-25-2012, 03:28 PM
where the retros only for February?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

cdash
02-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Rob, is there any plans to update the uniforms any time soon? It seems like these days uniform sets have a 5-8 year shelf life (absolutely no scientific research was put into that figure).

RobfromPacers
02-25-2012, 05:39 PM
where the retros only for February?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Hardwood Classics go through end of March. I think we wear them 8 times total.

RobfromPacers
02-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Rob, is there any plans to update the uniforms any time soon? It seems like these days uniform sets have a 5-8 year shelf life (absolutely no scientific research was put into that figure).

Traditionally, we didn't tease a uniform change until the look was announced. I remember the last time we changed uniforms an NBA game preview beat us to the punch. I remember screen shots of Jamaal Tinsley leaking out with video-Jamaal wearing our new (and current) jerseys.

idioteque
02-25-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't like the yellow uniforms, they just look like a less creative version of the Lakers gold uniforms. Wouldn't mind if they retired them permanently, and I will be really quite happy when entirely new uniforms come out. There are the second-to-worst Pacer uniforms ever (the worst being those really plain jane ones they wore in the early 80's for awhile).

I really love the throwbacks though, so sharp.

Best thing the Pacers could do is make a more timeless version of the flo-jo's and never change uniforms again. The really great franchises don't come out with new uniforms all the time.

TMJ31
02-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Traditionally, we didn't tease a uniform change until the look was announced. I remember the last time we changed uniforms an NBA game preview beat us to the punch. I remember screen shots of Jamaal Tinsley leaking out with video-Jamaal wearing our new (and current) jerseys.

I remember that. Everyone was speculating on whether it was legit or not at the time.

I don't have a problem with our current uniforms, but I do think that a revamp would be nice. If we do that, I hope we don't go really "Web 2.0" with it, making it look all smooth and sleek and "trendy". Our current uni's are certainly starting in that direction, but they STOP well short of it being tacky. It's a good balance IMHO.

I really love uniforms that are more traditional or "throwback-ish" though, and would love for our next set to get that treatment.

Hicks
02-25-2012, 06:38 PM

The pinstripes were from 97-98 to 04-05 (8 years). Hard to believe, but we've already worn these current jerseys for almost 7 years now (05-06 through 11-12) Should that gives us a hint that we'll probably update for the 13-14 season?

Hicks
02-25-2012, 06:39 PM
As to the yellow jerseys, I've never been a fan. I don't hate them, but I don't particularly like them.

Actually, I like them better as a HOME alternate than a road alt.

TMJ31
02-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Actually, I like them better as a HOME alternate than a road alt.

Agreed. But only for one or two games a year... Preferably ones that we already have little chance of winning. Like if we play Miami and Roy and Danny are both hurt and the Heat lost their last game by 50. That way the jerseys evil powers are somewhat undermined!

It's all about minimizing risk here...
;)

Shade
02-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I would like them a lot more if they were actually gold.

Day-V
02-25-2012, 07:19 PM
inserting the Pacers gold to see where it fits...

looks darker than your gold, actually

more like this:
http://www.opaleen.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/C/u/Curve-Rectangle-Gold-Ring_1.jpg

Well, the thing is, the Reggie jersey you posted is a fake. Whoever makes those fake golds uses a darker hue than what the team actually wore.

granger4mvp
02-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Oh my goodness thought someone was implying we need to wear the yellow because that little skid we had. By the way love the yellow/Gold jerseys

Bird Fan
02-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Paul is in yellow tonight. I think he must like the jerseys.

BringJackBack
02-26-2012, 12:15 AM
That my friends is why we aren't wearing the yellow uniforms. :)

TMJ31
02-26-2012, 12:23 AM
That my friends is why we aren't wearing the yellow uniforms. :)

Just one more reminder of its evil powers...