PDA

View Full Version : For the Eric Gordon lovers...

_The_Future_
02-22-2012, 09:08 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/02/eric-gordon-interested-in-joining-the-indiana-pacers/

SLAMonline.com article about EJs intrest in joining the Pacers this off season

imbtyler
02-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Was just reading this, actually. The actual information for this post came from the Indy Star. #sources

_The_Future_
02-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Sorry I would post the entire article but Im doing this from my phone. Basically a few quotes from the Indy Star with a few paragraphs of what to make of his comments. Nothing too shocking or revealing. Says it would be alot of pressure playing in Indy but fun at the same time basically.

yoadknux
02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks for posting this, but this article says nothing.
Eric gordon gave a generic response to a generic question, and the whole article is based on that.

imbtyler
02-22-2012, 09:15 AM
The 'article' in full:

Eric Gordon Interested in Joining the Indiana Pacers?
by Marcel Mutoni

Eric Gordon, currently nursing a knee injury that was more serious than originally thought, is already thinking about his impending free agency.

Gordon will be a restricted free agent this summer, and the Indiana Pacers are one of the teams that he could see himself signing with. He tells the Indy Star that playing in his hometown would be pressure-packed, but a fun adventure nonetheless:

Former North Central High School and Indiana University star Eric Gordon will experience free agency for the first time in his four-year NBA career this summer. The soon-to-be restricted free agent has no idea where he’ll play next season, but he knows his hometown team, the Indiana Pacers, is on the list of teams he finds intriguing. The New Orleans Hornets will be able to match any offer made to Gordon this summer.

“It’s going to be interesting,” Gordon said Tuesday. “It’s all about whatever happens, happens. Coming back here would be a lot of pressure, but I think it would be good for the fans. We’ll see. You never know where this summer will take me.”

Will the Indiana Pacers offer big-time money to Eric Gordon, especially given his tendency to get hurt (he’s only once played more than 70 games in his four seasons in the NBA)? Only time will tell, of course.

So, to recap: the New Orleans Hornets, an abominably bad team with a shaky and controversial ownership situation, lost a future Hall of Famer (Chris Paul), a solid big man (David West), and might now be losing another All-Star caliber talent in Eric Gordon. Amazing.

bphil
02-22-2012, 09:28 AM
How would Gordon fit with this team? You can't move PG to the bench at this point, can you? I'm just not seeing it...

_The_Future_
02-22-2012, 09:33 AM
IF Eric came in I wonder if we would trade DG and move PG up into starting 3? Geez I hope not.

Derek2k3
02-22-2012, 10:14 AM
This is why I'm not the GM. (Well, one of the reasons...haha)

I love the makeup of this current team, DC/PG/DG/DW/RH. Thing is, you really can bring EJ off the bench, meaning PG has to slide down. Although, I don't think I mind him as a 6th man, ala Jason Terry for all those years. As long as he is getting 30/35 mpg, I guess I don't care.

Interesting, now that I think about it.

You have to think that the Pacers would go after a PG if Gordon came in, but who knows.

It would have to be a short contract with a lot of incentives, dude can't stay healthy.

Hypnotiq
02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
if gordon did come id be shipping danny for the best point guard possible

Sparhawk
02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
If Gordon came here, I'd be trading Danny and DC for a point guard upgrade.

That's "if".

I just don't see it though. Gordon is injured too often for my liking, especially if he wants max type money.

_The_Future_
02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Moving DG would be bad if we got EG. Who's going to be that #2 scoring threat next to EG? PG? Hibby? Im not too sure. Unless that guard was DWill we were trading Danny for I wouldn't want to lose him in that scenario.

LA_Confidential
02-22-2012, 11:56 AM
If we get EG, I'd be pissed if we got rid of Danny or benched PG. If anything, I'd want EG coming off the bench like Ben Gordon, the Chicago version. Better yet, is EG capable of being a point guard? If so then bring him on! if not, then my focus is squarely on upgrading the position without sacrificing any major assets.

Deadshot
02-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Moving DG would be bad if we got EG. Who's going to be that #2 scoring threat next to EG? PG? Hibby? Im not too sure. Unless that guard was DWill we were trading Danny for I wouldn't want to lose him in that scenario.

If we move Granger to bring in a PG that's more of a facilitator, I don't think this would be all that big of a concern. But Gordon's health concerns me.

pacergod2
02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Eric Gordon will have to accept his QO this off season and play out next year so he can be an unrestricted free agent. He won't be coming here otherwise. The only way I want to pay him is if he really can be a point guard.

MrHale
02-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Would rather just stay away from gordon, to injury prone for my liking. And i doubt he could beat out george for the starting spot.

Aw Heck
02-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Eric Gordon will have to accept his QO this off season and play out next year so he can be an unrestricted free agent. He won't be coming here otherwise. The only way I want to pay him is if he really can be a point guard.
Agreed. After this season, Gordon is going to need to prove that he can play most of a season. So he'll take the 1-year qualifying offer so he can leave next summer.

J7F
02-22-2012, 01:41 PM
If we get EG, I'd be pissed if we got rid of Danny or benched PG. If anything, I'd want EG coming off the bench like Ben Gordon, the Chicago version. Better yet, is EG capable of being a point guard? If so then bring him on! if not, then my focus is squarely on upgrading the position without sacrificing any major assets.

Eric Gordon won 2012 MVP as the Pacers point guard in NBA 2K11 on my PS3 :)

rel
02-22-2012, 01:41 PM

I've always wondered if he can transform himself to a point ala Drose/RussWes. Obviously he won't have that impact but be able to run an offense and still be a scoring threat

gummy
02-22-2012, 02:02 PM
After years of coveting him, I must sadly admit that my love affair with Eric is over. I have zero confidence that he can stay healthy enough to be a significant contributor. I do not want 25-50 games a year from my starters, and at the salary he will likely want we cannot tolerate him missing so many games.

Pass. :(

daschysta
02-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Too injury prone. Unless he wants to come here enough to take a super cheap deal, it isn't meant to be.

tora tora
02-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Bring him on.. nothing wrong with Paul George coming off the bench.

daschysta
02-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Bring him on.. nothing wrong with Paul George coming off the bench.

Except a near max contract to sit on the bench for half the season. It would be insane to give him what he'll probably demand at this point, it isn't one year either, he's been plagued his entire career.

fwpacerfan
02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
My biggest concern is injury. EJ has missed 20 games, 26 games and 30 games (so far) the last 3 seasons. We've dealt with injury prone players enough in the past.

CreekShow
02-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Too injury prone. Unless he wants to come here enough to take a super cheap deal, it isn't meant to be.

Well you know thats not going to happen. We have cap room, Indiana doesnt need EJ to take a cheap deal anyways. You gotta pay for All Star caliber talent, regardless of who it is & where hes from.

I agree the injuries kinda scare me, but I dont think you can let that alone be your deciding factor. Hed be a nice fit for Indy, especially if he could run the Point.

Karlton
02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
I love the makeup of this current team, DC/PG/DG/DW/RH. Thing is, you really can bring EJ off the bench, meaning PG has to slide down. Although, I don't think I mind him as a 6th man, ala Jason Terry for all those years. As long as he is getting 30/35 mpg, I guess I don't care.

Interesting, now that I think about it.

With 96 minutes between the 2 and 3 spots per game that averages out to 32 minutes per 3 players (DG, PG, EJ).

With Danny averaging 34 MPG this year and PG averaging 31 MPG, that theoretically leaves another 31 MPG for another 2 guard.

MTM
02-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Another reason Uncle Reg was so loved - he came to work every single day, every year. Durability deserves more recognition than it gets.

MillerTime
02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
As much as I love his game, Im afraid hes going to be injury prone while we end up giving away some crucial assets (whether it be players, picks or salary cap)

pacergod2
02-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Another reason Uncle Reg was so loved - he came to work every single day, every year. Durability deserves more recognition than it gets.

Few people are naturally blessed with durability (or foresaken with injury), but durability tends to be an indictment of how well players take care of themselves off the court and what their activities are in their free time.

PGisthefuture
02-22-2012, 03:53 PM
if gordon did come id be shipping danny for the best point guard possible

Biggest pipe dream: Trade Danny Granger and DC and picks or whatever the Nets want for Deron Williams. Then we somehow sign Gordon this summer and slide Paul to the SF even though I like him as the SG. A starting lineup of Deron Williams/Eric Gordon/Paul George/David West/Roy Hibbert would be really nice. I know it will never happen though...

Steagles
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM
EJ starting at point won't happen. He over DC is lateral. I'd have him coming off the bench for 30-35 minutes a game as a 6th man. He should take from Brandon Roy's situation in Portland and know that he is injury prone, and our team knows that. If I'm Bird, I don't want to rely on him as a starter.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

xtacy
02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
i just hope we stay away from this guy no matter what.

ilive4sports
02-22-2012, 05:37 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

I like Gordon's game and think he's a hell of a player, but I also think spending a lot of money on him would be a bad move. I just think he is far too injury prone to ever rely on.

Heisenberg
02-22-2012, 05:44 PM
If we're gonna really splurge this offseason and try and sign EJ I hope we really go all out and buy Phoenix's training staff.

Hoop
02-22-2012, 05:46 PM
http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2012/02/new_orleans_hornets_guard_eric_12.html

Gordon Admits To Having Cartilage Damage In Right Knee

Although the New Orleans Hornets (http://www.nola.com/hornets) listed him as having a bone bruise on his right knee, guard Eric Gordon admitted Tuesday his injury was more serious, involving cartilage damage.

Gordon said arthroscopic surgery was performed last week to remove cartilage debris from his knee.

Before Gordon gave details Tuesday, Hornets officials had only disclosed that a surgical procedure was performed to clean up his right knee.

Eliot Kamenitz / The Times-Picayune

Although the New Orleans Hornets listed him as having a bone bruise on his right knee, guard Eric Gordon admitted Tuesday his injury was more serious, involving cartilage damage.

“First off, you can label it as a bone bruise, or say so,’’ Gordon said. “Of course, it was a little more serious than that. It was a little bit of cartilage damage that came about, but nothing more serious than that.

“I had a little cartilage debris. That happens when you have damage to a cartilage, and that was that — and I needed it. I’ve never had surgery before. All you can do is listen to the doctors as far as moving forward, and I know the timing sucked, but no one knew how serious it was. We went through multiple doctors, and the only way we could find out is (to) go in there.’’

Gordon also admitted he first experienced pain his right knee when he still was with the Los Angeles Clippers, before a blockbuster trade that sent him to the Hornets, with Al-Farouq Aminu and Chris Kaman, in exchange for All-Star point guard Chris Paul.

“At that time I thought it was nothing serious because I was fine and nothing was swollen,’’ Gordon said.

Gordon has not played since Jan. 4, against the Philadelphia 76ers. He has played in two games this season, including the Dec. 26 opener against the Phoenix Suns. Gordon said after the Phoenix game he could barely walk after bumping knees with forward Grant Hill.

The Hornets announced after last Monday’s victory against the Utah Jazz that he needed surgery.

“After consulting with our medical staff, we concluded that surgery was the best route and in the best interest of Eric for the long term,’’ New Orleans General Manager Dell Demps said in a statement issued last week. “We had hoped for rest and rehab, Eric’s knee would have healed.’’
After he needed to have his knee drained repeatedly and swelling continued, surgery became the next option, Gordon said.

“When you’ve got doctors taking out fluid multiple times, it’s time to do something,’’ Gordon said. “It was no secret that fluid was being pulled out.

When you have a couple of doctors looking at MRI’s, they all have different opinions. They all equaled out the same. Some people thought I didn’t need it (surgery). Some people thought I might, if it didn’t work. It was a situation you can’t really control.’’

Gordon, who is expected to miss at least five more weeks, said he knows his injury situation might have a negative impact for some Hornets fans.

“Some people might think since I’m injured I might not want to be here,’’ Gordon said. “People might think I may not be happy, but at that same time this was an injury I could not control.

“I always look forward to playing here. If we had a full team throughout the year, maybe we would be a playoff team. I look forward to helping the guys out whenever I get back toward the end of the year. We’ll see how exciting it will be when I get back.’’

Eddie Gill
02-22-2012, 05:52 PM
I lol'd at one of the comments on the source website: Oden, Gordon, and Zach Randolph - something in the Indiana water messes with your knees.

Heisenberg
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
I lol'd at one of the comments on the source website: Oden, Gordon, and Zach Randolph - something in the Indiana water messes with your knees.Plus Brad Miller. And he doesn't count yet but once the Pacers draft him in the late 2nd and he becomes the best player in franchise history, defying all the odds, Hummel.

cdash
02-22-2012, 06:22 PM
If we're gonna really splurge this offseason and try and sign EJ I hope we really go all out and buy Phoenix's training staff.

Hell, try to buy them anyways. Or at least figure out what voodoo tactics they are using. Plant some spies in there. Hire their training staff interns. Let's figure this **** out. Once that is done, sign EJ and offer Greg Oden the league minimum. With the elixir of life obtained from the Phoenix training staff, we would have the power to heal all of our injury prone local stars.

Heisenberg
02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Hell, try to buy them anyways. Or at least figure out what voodoo tactics they are using. Plant some spies in there. Hire their training staff interns. Let's figure this **** out. Once that is done, sign EJ and offer Greg Oden the league minimum. With the elixir of life obtained from the Phoenix training staff, we would have the power to heal all of our injury prone local stars.
All we gotta do is buy a goniometer (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/paul_forrester/01/22/suns-trainers/index.html).

wintermute
02-23-2012, 07:06 AM

It's curious that other teams haven't tried to poach the Suns' staff / copy the Suns' methods yet (at least, not successfully). It's a copycat league after all, you'd have thought some of that knowledge would have diffused through the league by now.

Heisenberg
02-23-2012, 07:12 AM
It's curious that other teams haven't tried to poach the Suns' staff / copy the Suns' methods yet (at least, not successfully). It's a copycat league after all, you'd have thought some of that knowledge would have diffused through the league by now.
I'm not going to pretend to have any medical training whatsoever, but a couple articles I've read about what they do doesn't seem all that revolutionary or anything. Just different from the norm. And the trainers openly talk about their methods to the press so it's not some deep dark secret, well, unless they're lying. I don't get it either. Maybe they're really pumping their guys up with super secret ahead of the curve steroids.

bphil
02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
The Pacers actually have what is generally accepted to be one of the best training staffs in the league. They won awards from the NBATA in January...

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/athletic_trainers_corbeil_eaton_2012_01_10.html

ksuttonjr76
02-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Honestly, Gordon would be nothing more than a 6th man for me. Personally, I would LOVE to see if he could handle the starting PG role. Otherwise, it makes no sense to trade either Granger or George. We have THE BEST SG/SF defensive combo in the league right now, and IF George continues to grow offensively, then we'll have ONE OF THE BEST SG/SF combo in the league. I still give the edge to Lebron and Wade as the best for obvious reasons.

I don't why people want to trade Granger SO BAD, and are SO DETERMINED to move Paul George to the SF spot. Paul George is a MISMATCH at the SG spot, so what's so wrong with leaving him there?

Slick Pinkham
02-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I love Eric's skills, his intensity, his drive, that he's local, that he went to IU, his intelligence, that he gives a good interview, that he seems team-focused, has all-star level ability, all of that. I can't ignore, however, that from an injury standpoint he is trending toward becoming the Bob Sanders of the NBA, a great player who seemingly just doesn't have a body built to play the way that he plays.

If I were Larry Bird, and I am not, I would have to have doctors take a very long, critical look at all of his medical issues past and present before committing big dollars.

QuickRelease
02-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Has Gordon played point guard before? North Central? IU? I don't remember. Anyway, George Hill and Eric Gordon in the backcourt!!! :drool: