PDA

View Full Version : The dunk contest just became fair again....

Peck
02-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Now at least Paul can win or lose on his own merits and not have to fight the world wide voting for Lin/Shumpert

http://www.hoopsworld.com/jeremy-evans-replacing-iman-shumpert-in-dunk-contest

With the 2012 All-Star Weekend just around the corner, the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest has undergone some last-minute changes.

Iman Shumpert of the New York Knicks will no longer compete in the dunk contest, according to sources close to the situation. Shumpert missed Monday’s game against the New Jersey Nets due to a knee injury and he’ll rest during the weekend. While he wanted to compete in the dunk contest, getting healthy is his top priority.

Shumpert will likely be replaced by Jeremy Evans of the Utah Jazz. On Tuesday afternoon, the Utah Jazz’s official website announced that Evans was added to the dunk contest. They also released a video of Evans dunking and encouraging fans to vote for him on Saturday night. However, the video was removed shortly after being uploaded on the website. The NBA didn’t want the news leaking out until an official announcement was made.

A press release will likely be distributed on Wednesday, officially announcing that Evans has replaced Shumpert. Evans will compete with Paul George of the Indiana Pacers, Chase Budinger of the Houston Rockets and Derrick Williams of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

rock747
02-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Well semi-fair, I guess.

spazzxb
02-22-2012, 02:27 AM
At least he has a legitimate chance now.

rel
02-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Evans has some CRAZY hops...but he doesn't seem too creative. Granted I've only seen his in-game dunks (mainly putbacks)

ndcoltsnpacers
02-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Should've put McRoberts in his place! Good news though.

rock747
02-22-2012, 02:32 AM
Should've put McRoberts in his place! Good news though.

No, then PG definitely wouldn't have a good chance. Laker fans galore.

Heisenberg
02-22-2012, 02:36 AM
This is PG's to lose.

TheDon
02-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Wow I really don't see Paul George losing to anyone now :dance::happydanc

Asher99
02-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Will be hard to beat Chase Budinger being white and playing in the 4th largest city in America in the second most populated state all while being born in the most populated state and going to school in 6th largest states most popular school. It may not be better than the Linsanity bringing causal fans and the Asian support along with the New York market that Shumpert would had on his side but that's tom of potential people who might side with Budinger in a fan vote.

Mackey_Rose
02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Will be hard to beat Chase Budinger being white and playing in the 4th largest city in America in the second most populated state all while being born in the most populated state and going to school in 6th largest states most popular school. It may not be better than the Linsanity bringing causal fans and the Asian support along with the New York market that Shumpert would had on his side but that's tom of potential people who might side with Budinger in a fan vote.

White people will apparently only vote for Budinger. Sorry Paul, best of luck next year.

This dude...

Unclebuck
02-22-2012, 09:21 AM
I think fan voting is a bad idea.

Mackey_Rose
02-22-2012, 09:23 AM

The dunk contest idea jumped the shark about 10 years ago. This just sealed it.

_The_Future_
02-22-2012, 09:25 AM

^^^This

Ownagedood
02-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Looking at that list, I really don't think PG can lose. He's by far the best in that group with his size, leaping ability, and finnese'.

His windmill dunk last night should help boost his popularity just before the contest as well.

Asher99
02-22-2012, 09:31 AM
White people will apparently only vote for Budinger. Sorry Paul, best of luck next year.

This dude...

Wow can't get you on ignore fast enough! You have got to be one of the most pompous Jackasses ever to disgrace this board. Nowhere did I say white people will only vote for Chase, but you can damn sure bet being white will help him when it comes to fan text voting.

imbtyler
02-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Jeremy Evans!? JEREMY!? EVANS!?

:lmao:

Dude, seriously? Fan voting or not, Paul George has the skill, vertical, creativity, and enthusiasm to win this contest, hands down. Evans can jump, Williams has some skill, and Budinger is the underdog (28.5" standing, 38.5" max vert). But Paul is THE BEST DUNKER, BY FAR, in this contest.

This is his contest to lose. I don't care who does what, Paul will earn his trophy.

Naptown_Seth
02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
This is PG's to lose.
Yep. If he completes a pretty clean dunk over Roy it's going to be tough to beat him. All he needs to bring is the Hornets dunk and the one from the Nets? game a couple of weeks ago and he's almost there.

Gimmicks help, but ultimately I think fans are tired of any gimmick that doesn't also involve something really athletic. Roy works because it involves showcasing pure lift.

But otherwise I think you can do a lot more with a smooth, classic dunk ala Nique (cradles and such) than turning it into a game of horse aa "bounce it off the ground, off his head, off the backboard, grab your foot" with a barely made awkward dunk at the end of it.

BPump33
02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Yep. If he completes a pretty clean dunk over Roy it's going to be tough to beat him. All he needs to bring is the Hornets dunk and the one from the Nets? game a couple of weeks ago and he's almost there.

Gimmicks help, but ultimately I think fans are tired of any gimmick that doesn't also involve something really athletic. Roy works because it involves showcasing pure lift.

But otherwise I think you can do a lot more with a smooth, classic dunk ala Nique (cradles and such) than turning it into a game of horse aa "bounce it off the ground, off his head, off the backboard, grab your foot" with a barely made awkward dunk at the end of it.

If Larry participates he could go all "McDonald's commercial" on them. I can see him now sitting in the balcony bouncing the ball off the scoreboard for the oop. :D

Naptown_Seth
02-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Obviously I agree that not having Josh on there instead is silly. He's got the handles to dribble into his dunks too which would help overcome his height "downgrade".

Frankly I think it would be more fun to watch too.

Derek2k3
02-22-2012, 10:18 AM
I feel like outside of a gimmick, the odds are pretty even.

Shumpert would have had Lin, in years past it was Nate Robinson because he was so short, Dwight Howard because he was actually good, and last season Griffin won it before he ever stepped foot on the court. The hype was unbelievable.

This season, I think the playing field is pretty level, whoever comes up big can win. And don't they do fan voting for the final round every year? Just this season there is only one round, right?

Naptown_Seth
02-22-2012, 10:23 AM
If Larry participates he could go all "McDonald's commercial" on them. I can see him now sitting in the balcony bouncing the ball off the scoreboard for the oop. :D
Yeah, and that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. It WAS funny and different when it made it's way into the contest, but after you get used to it you realize that ultimately it ends with "put the ball in this spot and I will dunk it" which makes it a Rube Goldberg alley-oop. And honestly I think a long pass (which means fast) normal alley-oop is way more challenging and exciting than the "game of Mousetrap" version.

Just look at the massive highlight impact the NON dunk versions of Lebron/Wade full court pass alley-layups have had.

In fact if Roy could also throw Paul a pass from half court with Paul coming from the corner, catching it mid-air and windmilling it home as he goes flying past the rim...to me that would be exciting.

Gold
02-22-2012, 10:25 AM
What? No, it's still not fair if Paul George is still in the contest. There's no way he's not running away with this whether or not Shumpert is in. :cool:

imbtyler
02-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Obviously I agree that not having Josh on there instead is silly. He's got the handles to dribble into his dunks too which would help overcome his height "downgrade".

Frankly I think it would be more fun to watch too.

Funny how I was all #LetJoshDunk last year, and this year, I didn't even consider McRoberts as a replacement for Shumpert when it was announced he may not even contend.

Regardless, I know Paul knows how important it is to put down crazy, unbelievable dunks to win this. I think he's planning for this, and no matter who's in the contest, he knows it'll take unseen dunks to win.

duke dynamite
02-22-2012, 10:59 AM
I watched a ton of dunk highlights of Jeremy Evans on YouTube.

I'm not impressed. He did one on Gerald Wallace but was called for an offensive foul. I wasn't amazed by it at all.

mattie
02-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Wow can't get you on ignore fast enough! You have got to be one of the most pompous Jackasses ever to disgrace this board. Nowhere did I say white people will only vote for Chase, but you can damn sure bet being white will help him when it comes to fan text voting.

Yep.

You have to be an ignorant fool to think being white doesn't help Budinger. Of course it does.

Mackey_Rose
02-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Yep.

You have to be an ignorant fool to think being white doesn't help Budinger. Of course it does.

Only an ignorant fool would give a **** that Budinger is white.

MagicRat
02-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah, and that's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. It WAS funny and different when it made it's way into the contest, but after you get used to it you realize that ultimately it ends with "put the ball in this spot and I will dunk it" which makes it a Rube Goldberg alley-oop. And honestly I think a long pass (which means fast) normal alley-oop is way more challenging and exciting than the "game of Mousetrap" version.

Just look at the massive highlight impact the NON dunk versions of Lebron/Wade full court pass alley-layups have had.

In fact if Roy could also throw Paul a pass from half court with Paul coming from the corner, catching it mid-air and windmilling it home as he goes flying past the rim...to me that would be exciting.

Like this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4bRODY9UKTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Sleeze
02-22-2012, 04:20 PM

It's right up there with the "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

Day-V
02-22-2012, 04:23 PM

There are a lot of ignorant fools in this world.

graphic-er
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
I feel like you all are just jinxing the whole thing for PG.

xIndyFan
02-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Yep.

FWIW, i think you're both correct.

naptownmenace
02-22-2012, 05:30 PM

If he could get Larry Bird to throw him an oop period... PG will win in a landslide. If he can get him to do it while holding a Big Mac in one hand and standing behind the 3-point line the building might explode.

Someone tweet the idea to him to see what he says.

imbtyler
02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeh, I'm a superstitious dude. I don't know whether to wear my Paul George jersey regular or inside out on Friday and Saturday.

AesopRockOn
02-23-2012, 02:28 AM
If he could get Larry Bird to throw him an oop period... PG will win in a landslide.

Yeah, but that's only because Larry Bird is white.

TheDavisBrothers
02-23-2012, 02:55 AM
Yeah, but that's only because Larry Bird is white.

That's the beauty of it! With Larry Bird and Paul George, they can capture both the white and black vote, and even the biracial too probably! :p:D;)

rexnom
02-23-2012, 03:19 AM
Are they doing horse again? With a better format, that could be an excellent event.

Kemo
02-23-2012, 04:11 AM
I wouldn't be at all shocked, if out of the blue , and last minute, LeBron throwing his hat into the dunk contest...

He is the rare, special breed of douche that would do something like that....

Reginald
02-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Wait a second. You and Asher are serious? The demographic watching the NBA dunk contest--young, social network savvy, etc.--doesn't give a flying fart about a guy's skin color. Please tell me there's a punchline here.

Budinger has no edge because he's white. None. Get over yourselves.

mattie
02-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Wait a second. You and Asher are serious? The demographic watching the NBA dunk contest--young, social network savvy, etc.--doesn't give a flying fart about a guy's skin color. Please tell me there's a punchline here.

Fun fantasy you dreamed up there - the only people watching the NBA dunk contest are "young, social network savvy."

Here's a better question, why is it so important to you to downplay race which is a major component in all of sports today?

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2012, 01:37 PM

I like to think that dumb rednecks, from bum **** Missouri, don't hate black people enough to bother to take the time to learn how to operate the internet, in order to vote some white boy as the dunk contest champion.

Karlton
02-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't be at all shocked, if out of the blue , and last minute, LeBron throwing his hat into the dunk contest...

He is the rare, special breed of douche that would do something like that....

There is no way LeBron James will put himself in a situation where he can either:

1) Win (like he's supposed to); or
2) Lose despite being favored.

He gets that chance once a year in the playoffs anyway.

mattie
02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
I like to think that dumb rednecks, from bum **** Missouri, don't hate black people enough to bother to take the time to learn how to operate the internet, in order to vote some white boy as the dunk contest champion.

You obviously like to think that "dumb rednecks" are the only racists in this country too.

You're probably right.

That's why Kevin Love is a harmless, "good guy."

That's why Tim Tebow has the highest selling jersey in the NFL, and in polls across the country is the countries favorite athlete.

That's why Lin is all that is right in the NBA right now, in a league of "thugs" as the media likes to portray it. Shaun Powell on Lin: "He's humble and free of the jersey-tugging, preening, gesturing, chest-thumping culture that has polluted sports and soured it for many."

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
You obviously like to think that "dumb rednecks" are the only racists in this country too.

You're probably right.

That's why Kevin Love is a harmless, "good guy."

That's why Tim Tebow has the highest selling jersey in the NFL, and in polls across the country is the countries favorite player.

That's why Lin is all that is right in the NBA right now, in a league of "thugs" as the media likes to portray it. Shaun Powell on Lin: "He's humble and free of the jersey-tugging, preening, gesturing, chest-thumping culture that has polluted sports and soured it for many."

Shaun Powell...hates black people. Racist.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1591794339098&id=ffc02136cabcb409504ec53fddc538a6

mattie
02-23-2012, 01:51 PM
There is no way LeBron James will put himself in a situation where he can either:

1) Win (like he's supposed to); or
2) Lose despite being favored.

He gets that chance once a year in the playoffs anyway.

You're so right.

For instance, if LBJ had the chance to play with the best shooting guard in the NBA, someone who already won a championship, he wouldn't do that because that would put him in a situation where he would have to 1) win (like he's suppposed to) or 2) Lose despite being favored he wouldn't do it.

mattie
02-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Shaun Powell...hates black people. Racist.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1591794339098&id=ffc02136cabcb409504ec53fddc538a6

You should have seen what Jason Whitlock said, it was worse.

CooperManning
02-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Chase Budinger being white, if anything, gives him a WORSE chance of winning the dunk contest.

Votes can be submitted on Twitter.

Have you guys been on Twitter?

mattie
02-23-2012, 01:58 PM
By the way, African American media personalities are incapable of accepting and furthering right wing created racial stereotypes. Thanks Mackey_Rose!

This proves that racism is dead.

Derp!

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
By the way, African American media personalities are incapable of accepting and furthering right wing created racial stereotypes. Thanks Mackey_Rose!

This proves that racism is dead.

Derp!

Between this thread and your comment on JaVale McGee, aka The Black Albert Einstein in Disguise, you're on a roll.

mattie
02-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Between this thread and your comment on JaVale McGee, aka The Black Albert Einstein in Disguise, you're on a roll.

Fantastic response. I'm impressed.

We can always count on the same from you: You'll write some idiotic comment, get called out and respond with nothing more than an insult.

Dgreenwell3
02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Chase Budinger being white, if anything, gives him a WORSE chance of winning the dunk contest.

Votes can be submitted on Twitter.

Have you guys been on Twitter?

HA! this is so true...

Dgreenwell3
02-23-2012, 02:21 PM
I kind of find myself square in the middle of this conversation. I can see where being white in a small fashion could help, but also it isn't the big deal. That said if Paul could pull off an alley oop assisted by bird while dunking over Roy, does the Internet explode?

mattie
02-23-2012, 02:22 PM
What we've learned from Mackey_Rose in this thread:

In a league dominated by African American's, with a predominately white fan base, Chase Budinger does not have an advantage in a fan voting competition.

Oh and I'm on a roll because I think race might influence how a predominately white media reports on a a sports league with an high African American majority. Mackey_Rose is a super genius.

naptownmenace
02-23-2012, 02:25 PM
:inbeforethelock2:

ksuttonjr76
02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Wow...is there seriously a race discussion about a dunk contest in this thread? Sigh...here are some stats regarding Twitter users. Not that it should really matter anyways.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/2007/twitter-users-cell-phone-2011-demographics

naptownmenace
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
I kind of find myself square in the middle of this conversation. I can see where being white in a small fashion could help, but also it isn't the big deal. That said if Paul could pull off an alley oop assisted by bird while dunking over Roy, does the Internet explode?

Thanks for trying to bring the thread back on topic.

If Paul is able to do that my mind might explode. The poor internet wouldn't stand a chance.

ksuttonjr76
02-23-2012, 02:29 PM

That would be one hell of a dunk though.

mattie
02-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Wow...is there seriously a race discussion about a dunk contest in this thread? Sigh...here are some stats regarding Twitter users. Not that it should really matter anyways.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/2007/twitter-users-cell-phone-2011-demographics

There was no attempt to have a discussion at all.

Two of us pointed that Budinger has some advantage being white. Some part of white America will want him to win. This is obvious. This really shouldn't be debatable. It's not really a controversial statement at all.

ksuttonjr76
02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
There was no attempt to have a discussion at all.

Two of us pointed that Budinger has some advantage being white. Some part of white America will want him to win. This is obvious. This really shouldn't be debatable. It's not really a controversial statement at all.

Bah...you clearly implied that Chase had the best chance due to race and Twitter users would mainly vote for him due to shared physical charastics.

Mackey_Rose was clearing saying that "racial voting" is not likely given that we're so far removed from that ugly era in American History.

mattie
02-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Mackey_Rose was clearing saying that "racial voting" is not likely given that we're so far removed from that ugly era in American History.

That is absurd.

Mackey_Rose clearly believes that. But that is crazy. I've produced enough evidence as well, illustrating how ridiculous that is.

mattie
02-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Bah...you clearly implied that Chase had the best chance due to race and Twitter users would mainly vote for him due to shared physical charastics.

I said it "helps" him. That was the exact word I used.

CooperManning
02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
That is absurd.

Mackey_Rose clearly believes that. But that is crazy. I've produced enough evidence as well, illustrating how ridiculous that is.

You seem to think everyone in this country gathers around the fire with their family to watch the NBA Dunk Contest and subsequently goes through the trouble of voting for their favorite to win.

An overwhelming percentage of the Dunk Contest voters will be males in the 13-25 demographic. The same demographic whose favorite players are Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, and Blake Griffin, not to mention Kobe, Lebron, D-Wade, CP3, Dwight, etc.

To think that the small amount of people who will vote for Chase Budinger simply because he's white will have any effect on the outcome of the dunk contest is denying the realities of both the NBA's target audience and Twitter's user base.

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
That is absurd.

The only evidence of anything was produced by ksuttonjr76, and it certainly didn't help your cause.

In the span of about half an hour, you've managed to make two threads that were completely nonracial, about race, and call me a racist at the same time.

Remarkable.

BillS
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
That's why Tim Tebow has the highest selling jersey in the NFL, and in polls across the country is the countries favorite athlete.

I'm going to hate myself for this, but you do realize that the ESPN "America's Favorite Athlete" poll has only had 6 guys #1 since 2007:

Tim Tebow
Peyton Manning
Brett Favre
Tiger Woods
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James

I suppose a 50/50 result can be all twisted around any number of ways, but to interpret it as a clear proof of racism in America's sports fandom is a bit far-fetched.

mattie
02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
You seem to think everyone in this country gathers around the fire with their family to watch the NBA Dunk Contest and subsequently goes through the trouble of voting for their favorite to win.

An overwhelming percentage of the Dunk Contest voters will be males in the 13-25 demographic. The same demographic whose favorite players are Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, and Blake Griffin, not to mention Kobe, Lebron, D-Wade, CP3, Dwight, etc.

To think that the small amount of people who will vote for Chase Budinger simply because he's white will have any effect on the outcome of the dunk contest is denying the realities of both the NBA's target audience and Twitter's user base.

I made the assumption that white America will want him to win. I have no idea who actually ends up voting. None of us can assume to know what percentage of fans vote. (fans watching may log in just to vote etc.)

But you're right, that I need to take in account Twitter's demographics, which would skew voting differently then if if the voting was on on NBA.com, or Facebook for instance.

Listen, this doesn't need to be a discussion. The only thing me and Ash have pointed out, is white fans like watching white people succeed. I don't care how many times Mackey_Rose says otherwise, it's just not true.

Just drop this ludicrous idea that racism doesn't exist. Please. Let's move on.

mattie
02-23-2012, 03:01 PM
The only evidence of anything was produced by ksuttonjr76, and it certainly didn't help your cause.

In the span of about half an hour, you've managed to make two threads that were completely nonracial, about race, and call me a racist at the same time.

Remarkable.

Please quote where I called you racist?

So far you've suggested race plays no part in sports, specifically basketball, and you haven't once make a response anywhere beyond a smartass insult. Now that is remarkable.

daschysta
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
What we've learned from Mackey_Rose in this thread:

In a league dominated by African American's, with a predominately white fan base, Chase Budinger does not have an advantage in a fan voting competition.

Oh and I'm on a roll because I think race might influence how a predominately white media reports on a a sports league with an high African American majority. Mackey_Rose is a super genius.

That's why white players are constantly overhyped by the media, voted in disproportionately to All-NBA teams/ other journalist voted awards, are overrepresented in the all-star starting lineups. Heck Tyler Hansbrough, Christian Laettner, Mike Dunleavey and Brad Miller have been voted starters every year of their career! :rolleyes:

You do realize the voting is done on twitter right, the demographics on there are largely post-racial, as are most fans of basketball at the pro-level. In fact i'd imagine most bigots that have a problem with a sport played at the pro-level by primarily african american athletes stick to other sports anyhow, and certainly wouldn't appreciate the culture that is promoted by events such as "All-Star Weekend".

Yeah as a whole there still are alot of racist undertones in the country, we see it in how contentious politics has gotten on the GOP side (i'm done) ;) among other things. That isn't the NBA demographic though. Buddinger won't be helped in a contest such as this by his whiteness. It should be relatively fair now that there aren't any players participating that come from glamour franchises and or have jeremy lin assisting with the dunk. Bottom line if fans were racist, the majority of them would stick to Highschool and College basketball and ignore/ dislike the pro game all together.

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I made the assumption that white America will want him to win. I have no idea who actually ends up voting. None of us can assume to know what percentage of fans vote. (fans watching may log in just to vote etc.)

But you're right, that I need to take in account Twitter's demographics, which would skew voting differently then if if the voting was on on NBA.com, or Facebook for instance.

Listen, this doesn't need to be a discussion. The only thing me and Ash have pointed out, is white fans like watching white people succeed. I don't care how many times Mackey_Rose says otherwise, it's just not true.

Drop the idea that racism doesn't exist?

That is a fun idea to think about, but I don't know how we can drop it considering that was never an idea that was ever brought up, until your post.

Since86
02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
You know how many white basketball players made the top 15 in jersey sales last season?

ZERO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=6346058

If white people rallied around white players, then why isn't Steve Nash atleast on the list?

BRushWithDeath
02-23-2012, 03:06 PM
If white people rallied around white players, then why isn't Steve Nash atleast on the list?

Because racists hate purple and orange garments more than they hate black people.

Besides, Nash isn't white. He's Canadian.

mattie
02-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm going to hate myself for this, but you do realize that the ESPN "America's Favorite Athlete" poll has only had 6 guys #1 since 2007:

Tim Tebow
Peyton Manning
Brett Favre
Tiger Woods
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James

I suppose a 50/50 result can be all twisted around any number of ways, but to interpret it as a clear proof of racism in America's sports fandom is a bit far-fetched.

I've suggested many times that the media reinforces bad racial stereotypes.

I've suggested from time to time some of the really gullible boarders (Mackey_Rose and his buddy) here blindly believe them.

I've suggested white people want white athletes to succeed in African American dominated sports.

None of those statements are fetched. None of them are wrong either. In fact most people would make those assumptions if only their own ideology had not prevented them or skewed their perception of reality.

Please don't paint the picture that I'm trying to suggest that the white fan population, or anyone on this board is racist. I haven't suggested that at all.

BillS
02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Because racists hate purple and orange garments more than they hate black people.

:lmao:

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Javale hasn't done anything out of the ordinary, or nothing any other player in the NBA hasn't done, but it's fun to be a raging idiot and buy into another racist media driven narrative.

Please quote where I called you racist?

So far you've suggested race plays no part in sports, specifically basketball, and you haven't once make a response anywhere beyond a smartass insult. Now that is remarkable.

Perhaps you didn't outright call me a racist, but it was certainly implied after you called me a raging idiot.

ksuttonjr76
02-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Hey now...we can drop the subject now. Dude apologized, can we just leave it at that?

daschysta
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM

White fans want players on their team to suceed and win. Color isn't an issue. Michael Jordan has maybe the largest cult of personality/ following of any NBAer ever, he isn't white. Boston fans still would have went crazy for Larry Legend if he were white as well.

If anything your confusing geographic preference with White preference.

For example A Kid from small town Indiana will likely pick up fans from similar places, the kid is likely to be white going by demographics, hence the primarily white population gets behind him, cody zeller etc... etc....

People from Chicago, also primarily white, though more urban have been behind Derrick Rose forever, as a hometown hero. White or black doesn't matter, where he came from does.

Frankly it's insulting to paint people as basing so much of their preference on race, its unfairly reductive. Most fans don't base their preference on it, instead they base it on connections they can make with the athlete, alma-mater and hometown being the two biggest, and of course the name on the front of the Jersey.

mattie
02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
White fans want players on their team to suceed and win. Color isn't an issue. Michael Jordan has maybe the largest cult of personality/ following of any NBAer ever, he isn't white. Boston fans still would have went crazy for Larry Legend if he were white as well.

If anything your confusing geographic preference with White preference.

For example A Kid from small town Indiana will likely pick up fans from similar places, the kid is likely to be white going by demographics, hence the primarily white population gets behind him, cody zeller etc... etc....

People from Chicago, also primarily white, though more urban have been behind Derrick Rose forever, as a hometown hero. White or black doesn't matter, where he came from does.

Frankly it's insulting to paint people as basing so much of their preference on race, its unfairly reductive. Most fans don't base their preference on it, instead they base it on connections they can make with the athlete, alma-mater and hometown being the two biggest, and of course the name on the front of the Jersey.

Listen, I've got to get to work and I have no interest right now in furthering this discussion. If you'd like to actually have a talk about how race plays a part in how the media reports, how we see sports, and how we generally respond to athletes, I'd love to have that discussion.

I'll send you a PM, and we can continue it. Right here is not the right place because it is a administrative headache for all the mods around here.

Race plays a major part in sports. It just does. It's complicated though. It doesn't mean everyone is racist. It doesn't everyone is completely devoid of being influenced by the color of their own skin.

mattie
02-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Perhaps you didn't outright call me a racist, but it was certainly implied after you called me a raging idiot.

Your reading comprehension is horrible. Not only did I not imply you were a racist, I reworded the same statement multiple times.

The one thing that remains, is you truly are small minded. I have no interest in responding to you. I am embarrassed that I have before, because you always manage to say nothing of value.

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Your reading comprehension is horrible. Not only did I not imply you were a racist, I reworded the same statement multiple times.

The one thing that remains, is you truly are small minded. I have no interest in responding to you. I am embarrassed that I have before, because you always manage to say nothing of value.

You would be making a valid argument if this was the NASCAR Doughnut Burnout Competition sponsored by Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Budinger was taking on George, Williams, and Evans.

But this is the NBA Sprite Slam Dunk Competition we're talking about. What you are arguing, is not only insulting, it just doesn't make any sense.

Peck
02-23-2012, 04:17 PM
This is one of those cases where someone says I brought you into this world & I sure can take you out of it.

Well I started this thread & I can be the one to end it.